February 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/27/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

OBAMANOMICS! Dang, everything goes with that name!

February 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  2. Bridget, TX

I love Candy's reports:)

February 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  3. Maren in Oregon

ECONOMIC QUESTION FOR THE TEAM: Does inheritance count in the assessment of wealth they're talking about? If you are average now, and looking at a tax decrease, will a significant inheritance flip you to the other side?

February 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  4. lynn

Right on Lynne in La. President Obama has said consistently he wants to hear other views. Americans (and the media) seem to have forgotten the a democracy is a clash of ideas. They met and we will see if both sides have a greater understanding now that the President has explained his justifications.

February 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  5. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The only way to keep your money safe don't put in bank keep under your matress it be no interest charges there.

February 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  6. EJ (USA)

I didn’t like Jindal’s speech after the President’s. I could not get over how unpleasantly rehearsed he sounded. The way he narrated his speech like Mr. Rogers distracted me from paying attention to anything he had to say.

I had to listen to the rerun later that night because of this. To get what he was saying.

February 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  7. Larry Dishong

Why can't we just cut the mortgage rate for everyone to 4.5%, reduce principle for everyone by 10 – 15%... one-time payers as well as those in danger of foreclosure. The banks continue to make money, defaults decline, the 'good' payers are rewarded as well as the 'bad' and everyone gets a tangible improvement that will directly improve consumer confidence.... all of this without a bailout dime.

February 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  8. Isabel, Brazil

The budget presented by Pres. Obama is even beautiful to see when compared with the Bush administration.
    He increased taxes on oil industry, reduced spending on wars, and will collect more taxes on the wealthiest.
    Are very important changes in the planet's largest economy.

February 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  9. starr formerly known as vincent

Hi erveryone on the show & crew , especially fellow bloggers...sorry i'm late.

It;s hard no to be scared with the way the news has been going...but, we have to try have courage and endurance and hope that Pres. Obama is the man for the job (I think he may be!)

TGIF!!

PS i'm getting real tired of listening to the republicans blah blah....they seem to be looking to 2012 elections, not the good of the country or people- what's wrong with them??

February 27, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  10. vanessa from silver spring, MD

If someone is giving just to get a tax cut, there not giving for the right reasons. Shouldn't you just give because you want to give to help somebody?

February 27, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  11. Andrea, TN

@Mark I don't know about the recovery plan but today in his speech to the Marines the President talked about a plan to expand aid to veterans. Sorry I don't have the details but maybe if you find a story about the speech or a transcript you can puzzle it out.

February 27, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  12. Sharon S

I agree this plan is going to be very hard on all of us, because if we can no longer use our mortgage interest that is going to really hurt families who own homes!

February 27, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  13. Cheryl, RI

I have a question for Ali- Can you explain the WARN Act? My Mom showed up for work and there was literally a letter on the building saying the company they had closed overnight. This happened in Rhode Island, similar to the company in Chicago. Many employees are looking for relief under this law..but the info is difficult to come by.

February 27, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  14. Dante

Anderson, Holla at ya boy.. Do you think that the tax payers will be better off with the Common Stock at Citi Group or did we just give away another 2 billion dollars to a greedy bank. Ft. Lauderdale, FL

February 27, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  15. Sharon

I support Obama's decision to pull out the Iraq troops. He has kept his word to the American people on that promise. I do wonder how many troops will we need as we move from one country to another? How will this reduce the war budget?

February 27, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  16. Keith-LA

limits on charitable contributions?

February 27, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  17. Isabel, Brazil

Anderson and David,

The increase of the government participation will bring other problems to the bank Citi?

Countries like Mexico don't allow that your banks have partnership to other banks foreign, which the government have more than 10% (shares, the voting).

The Mexican group Banamex, the second in assets in Mexico, is a partner of Citigroup and considered the "heart" of the company's global empire.

February 27, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  18. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ Sabrina I agree with you and

actually Iraq is a money maker for a select few in this country. I have searched the cost out and a Nobel prize winner figures around $ 3 trillion dollars

February 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  19. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

jindal is so phony his camapign is over before it started i hope he did nothing to help the people of Louisana . H ejust wants spotlight for himself.

February 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  20. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I love that President Obama humanizes himself! He says 'hey I'm not perfect and we aren't going to get it right 100% of the time but we are going to do our best' ...I think this is a lot of what so many people like about it him!

February 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  21. rose

Michelle portrait looks great!!!
    Keep in mind she is not an old biddy...

February 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  22. EJ (USA)

I think Huckabee is probably the GOP's best bet but I don't know if he will end up with the nomination.

February 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  23. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Barack Obama is now the "3.6 trillion dollar president."

February 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  24. Michelle

i am glad that President Obama is looking at the
    big picture long term.

February 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  25. Aisha

are credit unions safer than banks?

February 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  26. Rafael

@Vannessa These bank failures are getting scary. I hope my bank doesn’t fail.

Hey Vannessa you got that right i will hate to see anymore banks fail.

February 27, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  27. Brandi - bottom of the boot

i agree with President Obama about not being able to get everything right. i think it is ridiculous to expect that of him.

you cant make everyone happy.

February 27, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  28. Isabel, Brazil

Anderson, this is great!
    Recession even finish this year ... is what we all hope!

February 27, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  29. Stacy

You could say the exact same thing about Bush.

Except Obama is ending a war. Bush started one.

February 27, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  30. Bridget, TX

@Col Michael McDowell, thank you and all the service men and women for serving our country. I was totally against the war but I never once not appreciated those who served as their commandeer demanded.

February 27, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  31. Pati Mc

Cripes! I suppose it is time to place the "lettuce" under the mattress?

Amen Ali, ou grab on to whateer you can is right.

Hey Anderson..speaking of mattresses....heh heh.

32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh boy!!!!!! wow!!!! That is lot of problem, I think people have lost their job..... Thanks Ali!!!!!

33. Mike, Syracuse NY

Interesting graph. How can you Dems complain about 8 years of economic chaos under Bush when the economy grew up until last year?

34. Dean

Ali,
    Will the dollar ever get it value back? how long?

35. Maren in Oregon

16 banks, out o the entire nation, isn't much. Silver Falls Bank, here in Oregon where I live, closed earlier in the week. They're really small – two branches that Iknow about. We have lots of small banks in Oregon. Other states probably do too. There has to be some clearing of the chaff to get to the wheat beneath. 16 – 160, still not a big number. In tghe 30's almost EVERY bank closed.

36. Andrea, TN

Thank goodness for the FDIC. Things may be really bad right now but at least our money is guaranteed if our bank fails and we don't have crazy Early Depression style bank runs. Instead of a crash, we're in more of a slide, and maybe a slide can be stopped.

37. Bill

I wanted us (my country) to loose this unprevolked war in Iraq as a lesson for future generations. We just seem to have short attention spans. We didn't lean in Viet Nam. So I want our armies to be return now, not tomorrow.

38. mave

Hate to admit it but I hated macroeconmics and am a bit clueless about some of the things Ali is discussing. This may be a lame question but how do credit unions compare with regular banks when you are talking about not keeping your money in one place.

39. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Good Evening everyone!

40. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

I didn't like Jindal's speech after the President's. I could not get over how unpleasantly rehearsed he sounded. The way he narrated his speech like Mr. Rogers distracted me from paying attention to anything he had to say.

41. Lori from IL

I am glad President Obama has a "game plan" for the withdrawl of combat troops in Iraq - and I'm also glad to learn that nothing is "set in stone" but rather that President Obama will continue to assess the situation and act accordingly.

42. Matthew from IL

Why is the stock market always such a 'measure' of the state of the economy? It's like a big craps game.

43. EJ (USA)

Anderson– tear Jindal a new one for making up that heroic Katrina story.

That's pretty sad if that entire story was made up.

44. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

It is not only a shell game, but a word game. It depends on what the meaning of the term "combat force" is or what the meaning of the word "earmark" is. The descriptions seem to change with the needs of the people in charge. Remember "mission accomplished?"

45. Miranda

Anderson...

I would still like to know who we owe our international debt to and if there really is cause for concern over it affecting our standing in the world and or security?!

Miranda

February 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  46. Maureen T, Canada

Good evening Anderson. TGIF. 16 bank failures? That is not good news.

February 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  47. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Hello Anderson and Erica
    Hi to bloggers Megan ,Pati Lori aand Hpayy TI.GIF
    I think the toop withdrwal is good at least there is a date to when it will happen .There is a message of peace

February 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  48. Mike, Syracuse NY

@lynn, yes I listened. I also read in to the fact that he never defined how big the residual force was nor how long it would stay. I guess it's based on 'conditions on the ground'. Exactly what McCain said. That's the point, this isn't any different.

February 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  49. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

I wish everyone took the time to do what's right. I'm tired of favoritism and popularity. I know its human nature to pick favorites, but there needs to be some control over the cherry picking as i call it.

Thanks Rafael for raising this point up!

February 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  50. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Happy Friday!
    I'm very glad to hear Pres. Obama's decision on Iraq. I understand some criticisms, but he's not making decisions without consultation–the troops have to withdraw at some point.
    –I'm looking forward to your Mexico report on 60 Minutes this weekend.

February 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |