February 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/27/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Betsy

I think this President inherited such an unbelievable mess we should all give him a break and give him some time to see how things work. The fact that he is trying to address his campaign promises at all is pretty admirable. Many politicians would just throw their campaign promises out the window in the face of so many crises. So he's off by three months in his original troop withdrwal promise - give the guy a break!

February 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Mark

Does the new stimulus (or is it recovery)package offer anything for veterans?

February 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Heather - Spokane, WA

I am happy that Obama is planning on getting the troops out soon but Id rather have them out sooner. I have a friend who is in the Army and he is going back for the sixth time now and he is leaving a newborn baby

February 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  4. vanessa from silver spring, MD

These bank failures are getting scary. I hope my bank doesn't fail.

February 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  5. Lynne, L.A.

I don't want (nor do I expect for) the Democratic congressional members to blindly follow President Obama the way that the Republicans said "okay" to any and everything that Bush wanted, but Obama's plan for Iraq is on target (at least the way things stand there now). When you want to see the result of what just pulling up stakes looks like, just remember Vietnam. The war itself was horrendous enough, but the aftermath of pulling out without a strategic plan in place made everything worse - on all fronts. Agreed, we never should have been in Iraq in the first place, we'd better not (and we won't) stay there indefinitely, but we can't just bail either. We have to do this in a rational, practical way.

February 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  6. Sabrina

We can't keep propping up the Iraq government they will have to do this themselves. I agree with the President's plan he talked about this in the campaign. It will be two more months, and he always stated he would keep some residual force during the transfer. It's funny how in the end Bush came around to Obama's way of thinking. I remember all the Republicans calling Obama naive for setting dates.

February 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Bridget, TX

I don't know which I hate seeing in the news most, Palin or Octumom.

February 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Bea

We have a failure of merit in this country I think. The people in charge have for years not been the best people, but only the most politicallly connected people. Obama is a breath of fresh air. I don't care if you're connected, but at least be competent!

February 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  9. Vickie_AR

@Mike in Syaracuse – I wonder what the reaction would have been if Obama had said he would leave 50,000 troops in Iraq indefinitely before the election.

Isn't that what McCain/Palin said. I guess you have your answer. 🙂

February 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  10. Esma

About Jindal and the other potential Republican Party: It's setting itself up for an EPIC FAIL if they don't find someone who isn't pejorative.

February 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  11. Vanessa, TX

Mr velshi..I have a question..didn't we already bail out some of the banks that are asking for more money? At some point, shouldn't we just let the bank fail? Isn't it more expensive to keep bailing banks that have been bailed before, rather than just let it fail?
    If we have to bail you again, maybe the bank shouldn't be in business at all

February 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Lauren--NY

Jasmine–I don't like seeing Palin in the news either, but if she doesn't get any coverage she'll cry liberal media bias–it's better to give her the coverage she wants and let her hang herself.

February 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  13. Jim

hello anderson , I have a question when talking about Iraq, why is it pronounced Irock or erock? how does the O sound come from a word that has an A in it ?

February 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  14. Dean

We can't hold their hands forever. They must take charge and be responsible for their own people and country. You can only spoon feed the baby for so long.

February 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo BettyAnn!!!

February 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  16. Taylor, NJ

Anderson– tear Jindal a new one for making up that heroic Katrina story. Do it for the people were the REAL heroes of that tragedy.

February 27, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  17. Isabel, Brazil

Anderson,
    The increase of the government participation will bring other problems to the bank Citi?

Countries like Mexico don't allow that your banks have partnership to other banks foreign, which the government have more than 10% (shares, the voting).
    The Mexican group Banamex, the second in assets in Mexico, is a partner of Citigroup and considered the "heart" of the company's global empire.

February 27, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  18. Gary E. Savage

Friday, February 27, 2009

President Barack Obama

Dear Mr. President,. You said today the war in Irag, Mr. President this is not a war, it's an occupation Mr. President.

Mr. President, the seizure and control of an area by military forces, esp. foreign territory. Again this is not a war.

Mr. President, I hope you use the right term in the future, because we the people want change, as you wanted change, this is why you are the President of the United States Mr. President

February 27, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  19. Maren in Oregon

Good Evening Anderson, Michael Ware (Yea!), Erica and anyone else who heps put on this show!

February 27, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  20. Col. Michael McDowell, USA

FInally a President and Secretary of DOD who understands the true costs of this insane war. We are spending our way into bankruptcy...thanks to Bush!! I have spent 28 years defending my country and following orders without question, and Bush blew the country all to hell in eight years. And you who support staying for 100 years, and more soldiers being killed and maimed should sign on the dotted line and join up for four years to get a first hand perspective.

February 27, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  21. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello Bloggers: Regarding the troops leaving Iraq, does anyone have a concern that the U.S. is announcing exactly when, by date, that troops will be leaving and how many will be staying? Seems like the terrorists could take advantage of this information and plan accordingly.

February 27, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  22. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, Megan, Chris S., everyone. Two more bank failures is worrying. Need to get the second half of the Trouble Asset Relief Program into the system, and get the stress testing in action. When will the govt send out people from treasury to work individually with the banks that might be in trouble?

The President wants to keep troops in Iraq longer. That's sensible. From what I've heard they're still studying how to do the withdrawal. He doesn't want Iraq to fall apart.

Michael Ware does such an excellent job of going into the intricacies of this complicated situation, legal, political, all aspects. Interesting to be reminded that Status of Forces agreement has already been negotiated. This is good decision by the President.

February 27, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  23. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Rafael "I believe that Obama is right this is not a popularity contest or being well liked it’s about doing the right thing for our nation and peace."

You could say the exact same thing about Bush.

February 27, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson!!!!!
    Me too!! I watched Regis and Kelly as You co-hosted this morning, You're so funny and squishy face!!!

February 27, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  25. Sharon S

I do think the President is doing what he feels is best but he really does need a backup plan because you just can't play with people like Terrorist!
    We really have no clue how far they will go!

February 27, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  26. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Floor crews, Panel members, and all bloggers.

It is a good news that in 18 months all the troops can finally be all with their families. Hope his plan works.

February 27, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  27. Miranda

Mr. Ware, oh my ...sigh....such precision and passion gotta love that...I hope he is on more Anderson.

Miranda

February 27, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  28. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

I'm tired of hearing Palin is in the news. She hasn't done anything to me personally, but, by golly gee, she really is gittin' to me!

February 27, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  29. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Esma...I wanna say we called it a 'preemptive war'...which I think is a is a stupid term...essentially starting a war to prevent a bigger war

Michael Ware is amazing! Thanks for having him on so much the past few days!

Sarah Palin again? Really? Do we have to?

February 27, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  30. mave

Oh heck, do we really need to talk about Sarah...

February 27, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  31. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, "Would the government ever tell a tall tale?" Is that a trick question?

February 27, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  32. Mike, Syracuse NY

February 27, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  33. Bea

And who picked Jindal's peppermint tie!!! Lord what a failure in stagecraft! He's glib - but smart he is not.

February 27, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  34. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I wasn't surprised when I heard to day that Bobby Jindal's story about his Katrina experience wasn't true.

February 27, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  35. Stacy

"Would a governor tell a tall tale?"

Do you really want an answer to that?

February 27, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  36. rose

Why are you critizing the pull out?

February 27, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  37. Rafael

I believe that Obama is right this is not a popularity contest or being well liked it's about doing the right thing for our nation and peace.

38. mave

Hi everyone...hope you are planning a great weekend. Love seeing Michael. He is awesome. I agree that we probably need to see Iraq throught he first elections although anything can happen in a year.

39. Sharon S

I am not feeling comfortable with leaving any of our people over there without a backup plan!

40. Brandi - bottom of the boot

@betty-IN,

i agree, somehow i think i am less stressed than those around me. 🙂

41. Pati Mc

There is nothing greater than Michael Ware's take on Iraq. The closest thing to perfect that I have heard anywhere. He is a wonderful commodity.

42. Michelle

Hi everyone! Anderson – great show with Kelly this morning – you should check out the clip on the r&kelly website where she talks about the clothes she wore today as well as yours – she said you smell really good, like chocolate chip ice cream and newspapers...interesting mix (??)

have a nice week-end everyone!

43. Rob

The guest is right, Bush already did this. However, it is stupid to set an arbitrary date and declare that fighting will be over.

44. lynn

So Mike in NY did you not listen to President Obama's campaign? He is doing exactly what he said he would do: listen to the generals on the ground, give them the assignment to end the major combat and leave a residual force behind.

Is Mr Weir suggesting that American troops stay in Iraq forever??

45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Michael Ware is best reporter in the world!!! as Ed Henry too!!!

46. Heather - Spokane, WA

At least Obama is walking the walk and doing what he said he would do

47. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Ed Henry! It nice to see him in a nice warm control room rather than the cold front lawn of the white house! 🙂

48. Bea

Bush came up with a deadline because he was trying to steal the democrats' thunder. Obama campaigned on ending the war. Now the press is saying Bush started to end it. But Bush only did it for political reasons.

49. Stacy

@Mike: He's not leaving them in indefinitely.

50. Janine from PA.

TGIF to Mr. Cooper and the rest of 360
    Although I have to work tomorrow morning I guess I will have to say TGISat. Why are banks still failing? Didn't any of this money do anything anywhere?

February 27, 2009 at 10:09 pm |