February 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/27/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Sharon S

Wow after hearing the breakdown I can only hope the troops and people left there will be safe! That is way too scary!

February 27, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  2. Betty-IN.

When I hear about all these Banks failing, it almost a relief not to have enough money to worry about it! Soon people will be going back to the very old days of hiding it/money under the mattress.

February 27, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  3. Anthonia-Oakland,Ca

congrats to Obama for allowing the iraq war to end by August 2010!
    bring home our troops

February 27, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  4. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

@Bridget
    I'm very thankful that he is moving along with his promise. Mainly, i'm just angry at the ignorance of promises and how there is always something wrong with them. It's like a broadway show, it either starts a few minutes early or a few minutes late; it hardly ever starts right on time.

February 27, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

And caught you on Live w/ Regis and Kelly. You and your “squishy face” have serious hosting skills.
    Chris S,
    Me too!! I watched Regis and Kelly as co-hosted this morning, I agree with you.......... He is so funny and squishy face!!! 🙂

February 27, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  6. Fay - California

It's always great to get Michael Ware's perspective on the war – I never feel I'm getting the "real" story until I hear from him.

February 27, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  7. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

"A political shell game," what a perfect description of the situation.

February 27, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  8. Mike, Syracuse NY

Michael Ware called it right. This is a shell game. There is no such thing as non-combat troops in a war zone.

February 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  9. Janine from PA.

The war that should never have begun to end? I hope so. I hope any troops left there do not end up like the sitting ducks Reagan had in Lebanon. So in the future let's hope that we worry about making American streets safe for its citizens instead of worrying about Iraq.

February 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  10. Bea

Strikes me that if any remain 50,000 is a minimum just to protect each other. Otherwise if it was safe you could send fifteen for training.

February 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  11. Andrea, TN

By the way, I heard those extra 2-3 months are to cover Iraqi elections that will be taking place that summer – it makes sense extra soldiers may be needed around for that.

February 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  12. Vanessa, TX

hey Anderson, Erica, dance floor crew, and my smartee bloggers, (jaugernauts) 🙂
    Happy friday
    Does the POTUS really wants to bring our troops home? I bet its really great news to their families..
    we sure are happy to have them home

February 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  13. Lori from IL

Happy Friday Anderson, Erica and Fellow Bloggers–

Another full news day –enjoyed President Obama's speech today.

Yeah, Michael Ware - I always enjoy his prespective.

February 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  14. Mike, Syracuse NY

I'm wondering how Obama's plan to leave 50,000 troops in Iraq indefinitely is any different than McCain's plan. There's talk in terms of Korea. We've been there 50 years.

February 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  15. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Naissa – Yes, I was pleasantly surprised by McCain's response.

February 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  16. Isabel, Brazil

Gradual output and difficult in Iraq – will not be easy task the departure of American troops in Iraq, and this process will run until August of next year.

The next 18 months will be tense and difficult, but this was the right decision to take, and this was the meaning of the vote of the American voter.

February 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  17. Esma

I'm so happy about the end of the Iraq War being near! Well, it was never officially declared a "war", was it? That would mean more responsibility on our part. But I'm glad that Obama is not only concerned for the wellbeing of our troops, but also of the Iraqi civilians. Moreover, I'm thrilled he wants to raise the military salaries.

February 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  18. Bea

Give Obama credit. Bush rarely took real questions from the press. Every appearance was staged.

February 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  19. Andrea, TN

I'm a liberal Democrat who never supported the war, but I agree that we can't rush out of this, and non-combat troops may be necessary for a while just to keep order. We made a mess of Iraq, and it would be totally irresponsible to just flounce out on anti-war principle.

February 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  20. Heather - Spokane, WA

Good evening Anderson and everyone. happy to hear the war is almost over!

February 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  21. Cassandra

Hey everybody,

Yea for Obama!!!! Get those people out of there. To end this war may really help the financial situation of this economy. I'm so for Obama.

February 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  22. Lauren--NY

Good evening, Anderson, Erica, David Gergen and bloggers.

Anderson, great show this morning with Kelly Ripa; you always excel in that venue. Well done.

February 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  23. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Leaving troops to advise Iraqi troops will only lead to the continuence of soldiers dying. And with Afgahnistan, there should have been action taken long ago..

February 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Bea!!!!!

February 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  25. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

WOW. John McCain didn't criticize President Obama's withdrawl date?! Miracle of miracles!

February 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  26. Sharon S

Good evening everyone and yes TGIF is the feeling today no doubt!

February 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  27. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Faster than Mr. Bush wanted? Isn't that the beauty of being the Former President...you don't get to make that decision anymore?

I am glad to see that the President has a plan for Iraq though I'm still a bit skeptical...

February 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  28. Miranda

Team.

Blogger's.

Anderson.

Ooh Happy Friday people let's get this done.

I am curious President Obama said we would train and equip the people of Iraq, we did that for Bin Laden too when Russia was going in to his country...so question...is it really smart to train people who can one day use that training against you...I've been at it all day people and am interested in your opinions.

Miranda

February 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  29. Pati Mc

Barbara Starr is to be respected for speaking the truth about the troops in Iraq. My cousin is there now for the 2nd time.

February 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  30. Bridget, TX

@Jasmine, some would get upset if the president said 16 months and he did it in 15. I'm glad he's moving forward on his promise and I hope when we leave his advisors are in agreement that's it's time.

February 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  31. Bea

Re Tom Foreman's piece, Bush began insisting on a withdrawal date only after it was very clear democrats were going to win and the Republicans were going to be crushed by the US being in Iraq.

February 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I know what you mean that banks already failed right now!!!!! OUCH!!!

February 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  33. Ken in NC

Good evening and HAPPY FRIDAY Anderson, Erica, Randi, David G., Floor Crew and all Bloggers. Lots going on tonight.
    Hey Anderson I herd today that the "Watermelon Mayor" is going to resign on Monday. Is that a true report?

February 27, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  34. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening Anderson, Erica, David G, and bloggers (the list is getting too huge to type)!

I'm glad to see Obama is in fact beginning to withdraw troops from Iraq.

And caught you on Live w/ Regis and Kelly. You and your "squishy face" have serious hosting skills. 😉

February 27, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  35. Isabel, Brazil

Hi, Anderson,
    It’s very good to have you here every night!

Hi, AC360 team and bloggers!
    Evening for everyone!

February 27, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Stacy

Hi everyone. Finally, a workable plan to end the war.

February 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  37. Linda

Well David what do you think about the withdrawl of the troops and the time frame.
    Also I just like to Thank You Again, I do enjoy when you come on the blog and answers some of the bloggers

February 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

TGIFCF (Thank Goodness It’s Floor Crew Friday)!!!
    I agree!!!!! Esma!!!!

February 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  39. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

If people are going to get upset over two months, they don't know context. Yes Obama promised 16 months, but honestly? There is always going to be a type of grace period....

February 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Pati Mc

Yikes! I said "everybody smile" and then I hear Anderson talking about more banks failing? Ruh roh...

February 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Rafael

Hey Anderson and Erica and fellow blogger's. It's great to be here on another evening blogging away out thought's on today's news.

February 27, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  42. EJ (USA)

Hi Megan, Esma, Brandi, Ashley and all

February 27, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  43. Bea

Hello Anderson, Megan and everyone. More bank failures. Ugggh!

February 27, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  44. jorge PE

Good night, Anderson

February 27, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Hey bloggers! 🙂 Lets shed some light on this dreary economic day...

February 27, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Floor Crew, Ashley, Chris, Vanessa, Esma, Megan, BettyAnn and all my fellow evening conversationalists! Happy Floor Crew Friday! TGIF!

More bank failures? Sad! Just more news that makes me very thankful I live in North Dakota where we don't see much in the way of a recession!

February 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Anderson, Erica, David G, David in IN, Brandi, Esma, Rikki, Michelle D, Glen, EJ, Ashley, Isabel, Chris S, Vanessa TX, Patti, Casey and best bloggers!!!!!
    Thank God It's Friday night!!!!! can't wait forward weekend!!!!
    There is breaking news, I heard that our pres. Obama said that our troops will withdrawal in Iraq next 18 months to go!!!!!! Good news!!

February 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Isabel, Brazil

Hi, Anderson,
    It’s very good to have you here every night!
    Learn that life become much more interesting because of the mode with that you bring us the news. This mode is unique, captivating, exciting and intelligent.

Hi, AC360 team and bloggers!
    Evening for everyone!

February 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Esma

Hey, everyone!!! Anderson, Erica, David Gergen, and everyone at AC360. And, of course, the best bloggers: The Vanessas, Ashley, Chris Sosa, Rikki, Megan, EJ, Isabel, Brandi, Betty Ann, Glen, Stacy, Jasmine, and everyone else (whew!)

TGIFCF (Thank Goodness It's Floor Crew Friday)!!!

February 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Pati Mc

TGIF Anderson, Erica, 360 Crew and fantastic blogger crew.

It's the weekend! Everybody smile!!

February 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm |