February 27th, 2009

TONIGHT: Cheaper to keep her?

No splitting up when the economy’s down. Why more and more couples are choosing to stick it out when the going gets tough. Tonight, 10 ET

Filed under: On TV
  1. Cristy Kirssin

Just stay married forever- That is what G-d intended it to be. People are so selfish- they do their own thing then have a whole host of problems later on and wonder why. It's cheaper to be married anyway, I think. You can split all the expenses. It's a good business decision. Think about it.

February 27, 2009 at 4:03 pm |
  2. Nicole

"Cheaper to keep her?"

Not okay, CNN. Not okay. That is sexist and misogynistic and I object to its use in this blog.

February 27, 2009 at 2:12 pm |
  3. Mariah from Texas

Why do people get married anyways? The divorce rate is sky high. I say, think long and hard about the person you want to spend the “rest of your life” with, be responsible, and realize that 99% of the time, its not happily ever after. Call me pessimistic, but I like to think of myself as realistic.

February 27, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  4. Wendy, TX

That's sweet that C Sosa thinks husbands don't own their wives, but in many ways they do. I'm a housewife and even though I think I have the most wonderful husband in the world I am still amazed at how much more freedom I had in my role as a secretary (not his, just in case you're wondering) than I do in my role as a wife.

And it is almost always "cheaper to keep her". Or him. But if the relationship is just that bad it is worth every penny to be out of it. At some point you have to stop looking at the financial downside of divorce and think about your happiness and self-respect... otherwise you're just selling your soul.

Mr Bellman is right: you have to work at relationships if you want them to succeed.

February 27, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  5. Heather,ca

The title isnt exactly exactly a accurate representation of couples in this country or even the who wants a divorce or why,but yes in this economy staying together really is the only option. If you have a house especially. You cant sell a house in this market and expect anything close to good.

February 27, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  6. cewlmom

Is it cheaper to keep him

February 27, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  7. Mike Bellman

The expenses of divorce is the main reason I support gay marriages. A Marital commitment *IN ADDITION* to a court-based settlement would help reduce the promiscuity that exists is some gay communities. Health benefits expenses, alimony, paternity/maternity make "de-coupling" a losing choice. Better to stay married – gay or straight.

We also know that monogamy is the truest way of halting STDs including Hepatitis and HIV.

Support gay marriage and you introduce the pressure of making marriage work. I love my wife and I've been married for 16.5 years. You think it's been easy? No. But I have made a commitment based on love, morals and devotion but it is also legal and enforceable. We both realize that if we don't work it out, it'll ruin more than our relationship.

February 27, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  8. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

"Cheaper to Keep Her" is the heading? Husbands don't own their spouses... That's just uncharacteristically misogynistic for this blog.

February 27, 2009 at 10:54 am |