February 26th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/26/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Shanna

I am so thrilled that the troops will be pulled out of Iraq this year. You know, since they should never have been sent there to begin with.

February 26, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  2. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, Megan, Chris S. everyone. 30-50 thousand non combat troops is a littel fuzzy.

Yes Anderson the numbers are staggering. Good breakdown of spending priorities Ali.

I agree w/ David Gergen about the "sticker shock." Though debt is at about 11 trillion, I saw a chart Ali made of deficits since 1980 and the coming deficit will be twice as big as last years, not entirely President Obama's doing. I do agree w/Ryan Mack about addressing the priority of investing in people. We can't let that go too long.

Baliwood dances on the webcast?

February 26, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  3. christian

Are we ever going to get out of debt. How are with drawing money when we don't have any?

February 26, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  4. Jason (Tampa, FL)

Good Evening fellow 360ers...I haven't logged in since the the DEMOCRATIC Primary...I wanted Hillary and I am still upset....lol but I will move on. Well Anderson...to all of the DEMOCRATS who wanted CHANGE...they got it...but with a PRICE that their GREAT GREAT GREAT Grand kids will be paying for years to come...Congratulations to all who Voted for Change...

February 26, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  5. Pati Mc

@ Erica – I love the Bollywood idea, but I also may fancy a foxtrot! LOL.

February 26, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  6. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Erica, I would love to see an apple-picking Bollywood number for floor crew Friday!

February 26, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  7. Stacy

@Mike: And what do we have to show for Bush's deficit increase? If Obama succeeds we'll be looking at a better America. That's something I'm willing to pay for.

February 26, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  8. T. Anderson

Why is the latest spending bill called a budget? It has no budgeting, just wasteful spending.

February 26, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  9. james

it's time too take the creditcard away from the goverment

February 26, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  10. Stacy

February 26, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  11. Barbara in Boston

According to Ali's breakdown, I am thrilled with this budget. And the price tag has to be high right now, we're still sinking into this recession and only the government has the financial clout to pull us out. I think Pres Obama has the right priorities.

I am not at all surprised that the Republicans are opposed. But where was all their talk of financial discipline during the Bush years? Their hypocrisy is disgusting.

February 26, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Isaac Vancouver, Canada

Until people learn to work with the person in power & stop moving into position for the next election, America will always suffer from a lack of true accountability from their Government.

February 26, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  13. brianf

Anderson, "american families cannot run deficits" Average credit card debt in this country is over 10K and people run "deficits" to pay for college, pay for a home, pay for a car, etc. Hello

February 26, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  14. JoAnna

I want to respond to the comment of the anchor ... households can not run a deficit (spelling-you know what I mean) I beg to differ. If I have to tell any creditor I will need to pay a bill late, my family and I are running a deficit. Am I correct? As far as the tax breaks being taken from individuals in higher tax brackets....why should I pay more, because I do not have a higher earning potential.....have more income you should be able to pay more taxes. With the market the way it is, I feel most of the people affected were invested with some of these unethical greedy indivduals.

February 26, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  15. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Rikki – As much as I like Obama, think it's safe to say that goal is completely unrealistic.

February 26, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  16. Isabel, Brazil

Banking crises have occurred in several countries.
    In the'90s, Brazil, Japan and Sweden faced banking crises.
    These cases teach that the faster the government act, and the more objective are the rules of intervention, the country go out the crisis, more quickly.

February 26, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  17. Curtis

Anderson,
    What do you mean families don't run a deficit?

If a family owns a house,, has car payments, outstanding credit cards balances , that is called a deficit. Dp you seriously believe that only the government is operating on a deficit? The average family right now is operating on a deficit.

You need to give some serious thought to these issues before making broad statements.

Any way we are all allowed to make mistakes so take the opportunity to correct the error.

February 26, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  18. gill - north of 49

Evening everyone –

On the 2010 pull out target for Iraq – how much is the strategy counting on UN "peacekeeping" forces to step in and fill the transition gap? And the bigger question ...s the UN willing to provide the support the President will need?

February 26, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  19. Lauren--NY

Anderson, I have to agree with everyone saying that a household can absolutely run up a deficit–the amount of credit card debt we have in the US right now is astounding.

February 26, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  20. Anita, Central Kansas

Why does he assume that people who make over $250,000 aren't "hard working Americans"?

February 26, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  21. Saera El Paso,TX

It's so strange to think that just five or ten minutes from my house is one of the most violent environments in the world. If you look out from the mountain, or even from my house, it just looks peaceful. Lots of light pollution and burning tires though.....

February 26, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  22. Geoff

Hi Anderson – My headline for the night is: Hefty price tag, no way I, my daughter, or grandaughter can pay for it all!

February 26, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  23. Renee

Can someone explain the "fuzzy math" on the war? I was on other channel. The wars were not in the budget?

February 26, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  24. Sam from Dickerson Run, Pa.

Why isn't the government asking the American people who can afford it to "BUY US SAVINGS BONDS" so Americans can control their own future by owning future debt and not foriegn countries?

February 26, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  25. Amanda Walton-Fort Erie, Ontario

Evening Anderson, Ali and all AC360

On the savings the President is bargaining on with pulling combat troops from Iraq by Aug. 2010, won't that money go back into combat troops into Afghanistan since he is increasing troops there?

February 26, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  26. Atlanta

Wow, the Michael Ware story on the town at the border of the US and Mexico looks really interesting.

February 26, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  27. Jennifer - Michigan

I'm thinking that this government spending is going to exaserbate the recession that we are in right now, unfortunately adding years to it. But, we will recover eventually no doubt about it.

February 26, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  28. Fay - California

More money for education and limiting corporate tax loopholes sounds good to me.

February 26, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  29. Richard

You mentioned that a household cannot run a budget deficit. You may not remember, but until recently the average household savings rate in the United States was negative, a phenomenon that results when households spend more money than they earn. We call that a deficit.

February 26, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  30. Sabrina

@Mike- President Obama is not full of it he told the truth Bush hid the cost of the war from the yearly budget by using gimmicks. Mr. Obama is letting the American people know up front everything. You make not like the guy but atleast he is putting it all out there.

February 26, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  31. David, NY

It is very hard to cut the deficit. Half of it by 2013, I think it is a little challenging...

February 26, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  32. Brandi - bottom of the boot

does investing in the people include bailing out banks with our money so they can double interest rates to credit card holders and take even more money?

doubledipping, isnt that what they call it when you bite off of a chip and then dip it back in the salsa??

February 26, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  33. Clarence

Hearing from the viewers about what they think of the spending doesn't seem to matter.... this is Obama's budget.... and just his first.

February 26, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  34. Michelle

Is anyone forgetting that we are in an economic crisis
    and a financial crisis. President Obama must act. The
    rest of the world blames us for this mess. We had better
    be serious.

February 26, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  35. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@Mike..."Bush increased the deficit by $5 trillion in 8 years. Obama’s projections show almost that much increase in 4 years." You keep saying the same thing over and over. What, exactly, is your point? Bush inherited a surplus–and an economy on the leading edge of an upswing when he entered office. There's simply no comparison.

February 26, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  36. Karen C

Esma, and complain about it in the process while packing back a profit somehow that they don't pass on to workers or investment here.

February 26, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

If a ‘non-combat’ soldier is killed by an IED is it an accident and not combat?
    Mike in NY,
    Possible...... can be... I think so.

February 26, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  38. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

It seems like Obama is counting heavily on fictionalized projections of economic growth.

February 26, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  39. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I have to say I like David G's headline and byline best. Hit it on the head.

February 26, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  40. Rikki, Fargo, ND

President Obama's promise to half the deficit by half in his first term...it'll be interesting to see if he can do it.

David Gergen is awesome! I love that he threw in a 'sub-heading'! 🙂

February 26, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  41. Chris, Milwaukee

Anderson you just said responding to Obama's budget forecast for the end of his teerm. unlike the country "you cannot run a household in a deficit" ... I hate to tell you but how many people are? It's called credit cards, that go unpaid for years, and more often than not force people in to bankruptcy. I know too many people that have ran their "household" in a deficit. How many people do you know that have?

February 26, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  42. Minou, New York City

Mike:
    3.6 trill is faaar less than Bush's 5 trill. and besides, the plan will lessen the deficit in the long run.

February 26, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  43. Marina

Regarding your discussion on the budget, you said that families can't run in a deficit. Um, what do you call credit card debt? mortgages? car loans? Very few people in this country truly live within the means of the cash in their paychecks – it's called negagive net worth!

February 26, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  44. Ernest

Hey Anderson, ordinary families do run deficits, it's called debt. Ever heard of credit cards? They're our government and the American people. Don't try to be cute and report the facts thanks!!!

February 26, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  45. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Lori, nothing was 'hidden. The war supplementals were passed by Congress.

February 26, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  46. Lauren--NY

I absolutely cannot wrap my brain around that number, no matter how many "if you laid all the streets in New York end-to-end" style analogies people try to use to explain it.

Good evening, Anderson, Erica, David Gergen and bloggers! Great show this morning filling in for Regis–you always do well in that venue. Sorry about your watch. 🙁

February 26, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  47. susan

"your family can not run a deficit"
    Well, that's not completely true. Running a credit card balance as well as a mortgage is, in effect, maintaining a deficit – with a promise to pay.

The Rich Dad, Poor Dad has been useful in pointing out that that home mortgage actually places your home as a liability and not an asset, contrary to what various brokers and bankers wanted you to think in the last era (hence, borrowing against a value that has not been realized.) Too, that is what happens for your college degree. You are borrowing, or running a deficit against promised earnings.

This was the major invention of the 1950s – the idea that you could buy a house, or a car, or any thing with the PROMISE of ability to pay over a period of time. That is running a deficit.

February 26, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  48. Renee

Sorry Anderson, many families run deficits with foreclosures, unpaid debts and mounting bills. Just think of all those pay day advance companies across America!

February 26, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  49. Lori from IL

Good report Ali. Glad to see that there is some long term spending ideas included. Most short term views end up costing more in the long run.

February 26, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  50. Kelly

Anderson- How can you say families are not running defcits? Majority of the country is in so much debt living off credit cards and loans.

February 26, 2009 at 10:09 pm |