February 26th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/26/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. brenda

Probably the Mayor and others like him know for a fact they will get their two minutes of fame with such lowly acts . And I doubt if they are capable of doing anything good to get the attention – Best way I feel is to ignore them and deny them the pleasure of being in the limelight.
    No matter how much you and me argue or talk about it , will not change people like this.
    It is sad that when we have such serious issues to be worried about , there are people doing such stupid acts.

February 26, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  2. Stephen Webb

is that a good idea, pulling troops out so quickly? most soldiers don’t want to come home

Most? Come on...some don't want to come home...of course, but MOST?

Look most DO want to come home! That's why Obama won! Because most Americans (civilian and military) voted for him!

A little less than half didn't (your obviously one) vote for Obama!

Think twice before using the word "most" in your opinions!

3. MizMitz

What about the cops, politicians, judges and money-laundering BANKS that are on the take from the drug cartels? It's a monster (in Mexico and elsewhere) because of this widespread corruption. Sure there are good guys, but let's not all kid ourselves about the big picture, pleez!

4. Maren in Oregon

Anderson, didn't you used to BE Michael Ware?

5. Joy

This is just as bad as the cartoon in the New York Post....if not worst. This not a puzzle, this is blantant racism.
    We as a people are above this kind of behavior.

6. Dennis

Is Mr.Obama going to be the first President that we can not make fun of? Or is someone going to bring race into ever word said about the man.

7. starr formerly known as vincent

Great report Michael Ware!!

Lou Dobbs has been reporting on our southern border for years and years.

Why don't we legalize and tax drugs....i don't support durg use, but it would stop these wars for the most part, we could register drug users and tax them for much needed money....sending more money to Mexico is not the answer at all!

Anderson, will watch for your report on 60 mins.

I'm going to say goodnight to everyone on the show and fellow bloggers....hope to meet you on this blog tomorrow–Friday TGIF.

8. bob_Michigan

Watermelon? I love 'em, great in the heat of summer. It was cash crop many decades ago in Dearborn, Michigan. Ethic jokes when I was a kid in Iowa (1950's) regarded Czechs, and the Czechs told the best ones. Great fun, and then we went about our business.

9. Saera El Paso,TX

@Tom Salter- I know people who still cross the border to visit their families and friends, or even just to party
    even in El Paso some people don't realize the magnitude of the chaos in Juarez

10. paddy mwax

ac: saw your piece on watermelon in front of the w.h. while showing us how prejudice and stereotypes still remain among many, please do not waste precious airtime on such garbage. we deserve better!

11. Nattada, Houston TX

This Mexican drug war is so sad. How can anyone or any group of people be so cruel. I feel like it is just right next door to me. There is drug problem here, too. It is not that bad in Houston, though.

12. Esma

Anderson-I saw you on Regis and Kelly this morning (don't worry, bloggers, I won't spoil it) and I can't tell you how entertaining that was.

13. Michelle-Texas

I'm not event insulted at the doctored photo. It's plain ignorance.

14. Luis

Hello Anderson

I feel as if Mexico wil never gain control of the drug war situation and the sad thing i that as Americans we will hae to pay for the drug bosses dirty work. Vicente Fox did nothing about this and neither will the future "presidents" of Mexico why because te Drug bosses also help the communities hence the govt is loosing a war that will never go away.

15. Barbara in Boston

Believe it or not, the Mexican drug war is hampered by our healthcare crisis. I work in mental health. Most American insurance companies are not required to pay for drug treatment and many have extraordinary restrictions on coverage for substance abuse. Until we have better treatment options for substance abuse, the drug wars will continue.

16. David Gergen

Hello everyone - Thank you for joining in again to AC 360. If you feel confused and overwhelmed by all the budget numbers floating around tonight, please don't think you are alone - almost everyone I know in Washington is confused and overwhelmed, too - and on Wall Street, too. We are swimming in turbulent, uncharted waters.

To respond to a few of your good comments -

Gia, with regard to your raising the question of how I could have said that President Bush bore "part" of responsibility for economic crisis, Karen G. had a big part of the answer: this started to build up even before President Bush took office. I also believe that business leaders deserve some of the blame. But does President Bush also deserve a big share of the blame? Absolutely.

To Gret of Austin, Tx. - You asked what will happen to Iraq when ALL Americans pull out. Will it implode? The truth is that we really don't know - what President Obama and our military are trying to do is to reduce the chances of mayhem as low as possible.

To Steven Hansen - yes, we really ought to be going after those drug cartels in Mexico. They are causing real instability there. But Mexicans ask a good question: when are we going to get the demand for drugs down in the U.S. so the drug cartels won't flourish?

17. Michael, Agawam, MA

If people want a better education system then tell your legislators and city council member to start prioritizing their expeditures. Give up the bike trails and community centers. When government keeps expanding it sucks money away from what should be important such as when a town has to resurface a bike trail rather than making sure the schools are maintained.

18. Luciano

Hello CNN,

About the California Mayor, that emailed the doctored foto of the Whitehouse with watermelons planted in front.
    we all know that he is very well aware of the racist stereotype, i think the president will get a good laugh and it would be great if he actualy put in a watermelon garden just spite of anyone who wants to keep up the racist agenda thru stereotyping after all I am Italian and I am in the Mafia...lol

19. Bridget, TX

The NYT cartoon, the mayors email are all indicative of the country we live in and it shows that racism still exists. And people were screaming at AG Eric Holder for stating the truth, we're a country of cowards when it comes to discussing race.

20. Radhika - SF, California

Anderson, had a chance to catch ou on this morning's episode. Great job! You almost had Kelly there for a second.

I'll be sure to catch the piece on Sunday as well as Live tomorrow!

21. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

I watched Regis & Kelly and I have to say, Anderson, you are just a little more than compettive. Of course Donald Trump has never used an ATM…anybody would know that!!! 🙂

22. Tiffany Madison

Oh, by the way...I love your show Anderson : )

23. It's The Ronald

octo-mom is played out.

February 26, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  24. Ania (your Polish friend)

hello CNN

Congrats to ANDERSON !!! a 4-4 with Kelly!!!
    the last question was pretty neat but even I got it, -a rich dude never carries a lot of cash and hardly any credit cards, but at least $100 bucks, yep, for sure.

ANDERSON u never know Kelly may have another quiz lined up--
    best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good night CNN with AC360,
    Ania

25. Pati Mc

I know I have said this already, but it bears repeating. Good to see Michael Ware.

I appreciate the fact that you guys are shedding light on this drug war and placing the blame on the US where it is warranted. We cannot fix it if we are not aware it is broken. Great job guys.

No doubt about the fact that Michael stated just now. It is the American demand for the illicit drugs that is a HUGE part of the problem. Thank you Mick for being so honest.

26. Lori in VA

I didn't think racist either...I thought aw, cute, I wish I had a watermelon patch!!

27. gill - north of 49

Mr. Cooper...hmmm... so, is there a winner take all "tie breaking" contest tomorrow morning?

I believe the standing count is Ripa 1 / Cooper 1.....something tells me there won't be true satisfaction until a clear "champion" of quizzes is crowned once and for all.

28. xtina, chicago IL

I still don't get how it is that Mexico, supposedly a poorer, lesser country than ours has impenetrable borders.

29. Calvin

Good evening, great show tonight. I wonder what the Mayor was thinking that sent the email with yhe watermelon patch. I feel he knew exactly what he was doing, but to seem so naive or state he didn't think it was offensive is not an viable excuse. Some people will never change in this country no matter what!

30. Michelle

I will be watching 60 minutes on Sunday.
    I would really like to see more on the drug
    operation how can this be going on in America.

31. Steve Ogier

About the school under budget issue. The issue lies with the large % of the state budgets ($) that go toward "administration". The money does not flow to the kids and teachers; where your story highlights it is needed. Public schools typically spend 60% plus of their budget on "admin" vs 20% for most private schools, which normally have a waiting list. In FL there are approx 2200 private schools that seem to make it work. Why can't the public schools do the same? Reason, they spend it on "adminstration" not the teacher and kids. School boards must push the money down to the classroom. School boards (part time positions) are paid way too much for what they do. Give it to the teachers. Please provide visibility on this pork admin/overhead. The money is not the issue, it is the spending.

32. Doc

This just shows how far we haven't come as a nation yet. May God Bless the United States and all who still think this way.

Doc
    Austin,Texas

33. JacquiChan

in American cities now
    add to ever growing list of huge nearly impossible things Obama must figure out how to tackle

February 26, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  34. Karen C

I'm sorry. I cannot find it at all in my heart to feel sorry that instead of a 3600 dollar return on a write off, people making a *personal taxable* income of 250k will make a 2800.00 return. No matter where they live. It simplly isn't going to strip their lifestyle much.

February 26, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  35. Maren in Oregon

Good evening Everyone. Offiice party for departing secretary. 3 g&t's later, I find I'm still able to type.

Anderson: 4 to 5???? Are you kidding? You have one more chance tomorrow – le us be proud of you.

Will we ever get serious about Mexico? Probably not. We have no sense of proportion. This has been is, and will continue to be our worst case scenario. Lawless criminals running a huge country to our south – with open borders, and no actual laws or rule of law. OMG!

February 26, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  36. Steve - southern Illinois

I'm guessing Wallet for things Trump hasn't used.

February 26, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  37. antonio J.

Finally we can actually see the Heroes that lost their life's for our country. Their heroism is greatly appreciated and we should all have them in our prayers because of the security they bring us and freedom they have fought to keep in the US.

February 26, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  38. Isabel, Brazil

Anderson Cooper,
    It's good you sleep early ... tomorrow the day will be long! 😉

February 26, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  39. Sean, Boston, MA

The Colombian cartels have never been involved in Juarez! There are four Mexican cartels that have be operating since the 70's!

February 26, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  40. Sandra

President Obama will fix this mess. "What we are working against is the negativity that is being reported hourly. I applaud and admire the President for dealing with so many crisises at one time. Heaven knows the previous president was not held accountable. CNN where were you at the past 8 years when this deficit was happening. Now, you guys are analyzing everything. I have a lot of confidence in President Obama.

February 26, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  41. Tony in Denver

Whoa! Wait . . . . Really Anderson?! Watermelon patch on the Front Lawn? ". . . Had no idea . . .?" And this was from the mayor of Los Alamitos, Florida? No . . . this is just too sad. Sometimes I'm just flat out embarrassed to say I'm an American.

February 26, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  42. D.Daniel

I'm absolutely sick and tired of the ignorance of those who continue to draw racist cartoons, make racist comments, etcetera- then use the excuse of not knowing what was drawn or said would be in anyway viewed as having racial undertones. There is a difference between ignorance and racism. The white house with a watermelon patch lawn is nothing other than the racism and that person needs to be called out on it. Why couldn't the lawn be full of flowers or trees, hell even weeds...anything other than WATERMELONS!!!!!

February 26, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  43. Hafsa

If he didn't know the watermelon patch was racist then how else did he consider it funny? It's not funny unless it's racist.

As Seth Meyers from SNL would say, "Really, Governor?"

February 26, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  44. Tiffany

In reference to the watermelons, all I can say is that they're coming out of the woodwork...yeah right, he didn't know any better? I am so tired of that excuse, it's lame and a lie. True feelings are being shown...

February 26, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  45. vanessa from silver spring, MD

@Lori in VA. Of course you should. I'm sure your kids wouldn't mind getting a break and watching AC on Regis and Kelly. I know i wouldn't mind.

February 26, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  46. Nicole Duca

I'm from Temecula CA, and I am appalled at the Mayor from Los Alamitos! You cannot plead ignorance with such a blatant display of racism as that email. How stupid does he think we are. Hey Los Alamitos, how about a "special election" ?

February 26, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  47. Emma

@Bridget, I did not mean to say that the conditions of the schools featured were not horrible. I was merely pointing out that Georgia has always had trailers for overcrowded schools.

February 26, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  48. Cessy, Chicago

Anderson on regis and kelli again... i'm trying to think of an excuse to miss my morning meeting again tomorrow.... Look forward to it!
    I hope you win a match this time!

Thanks for the interesting news and blog entries..have a great and safe weekend everyone.

February 26, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  49. Jennifer

Anderson, for the sake of argument only, I will accept that the CA mayor did not comprehend the racial implications of his postcard featuring watermelons outside the White House. However, he has acknowledged this was an attempt at humor, correct? What was meant to be humorous about it? Without the racial subtext, I fail to grasp what he believes would have been "funny." This individual appears to not only be a racist, but to believe the rest of America can't see through his transparent, flimsy explanations. Come on–finish the story! Ask the "tough" question, for once, Anderson.

February 26, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  50. Lauren--NY

Oh, really? He didn’t know there was any racial stereotype associated with watermelons?

Then what was the joke supposed to be?

It’s the same lie as with that NY Post cartoon. I’m sick of blatantly racist imagery being thrown around and then people playing dumb, going “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” blaming political correctness. How stupid do they think Americans are?

February 26, 2009 at 10:53 pm |