February 26th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/26/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Isabel, Brazil

The more time passes without the credit back to run normally, the greater the chances recession deepen.

February 26, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  2. Glen Up North

Brenda, I believe that's why this time around, they're leaving peacekeepers in Iraq for a while: so that locals can see that we really do care for their safety and want to make sure they're absolutely ready to defend and maintain democracy before we leave.

February 26, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  3. kenneth- Wisconsin

Economic Recovery.... "That If'ey"? Let's be honest... if it don't work, will America face bankruptcy?

February 26, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  4. Clarence

Debt, credit, ... it all sounds like a deficit.

February 26, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  5. Cheryll

Hey Anderson, you can run a deficit at home. It's called a credit card.

February 26, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I want lot of money right now!!!!! Please????????? I wish I want 3 trillion dollars!

February 26, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  7. Mike, Syracuse NY

If a 'non-combat' soldier is killed by an IED is it an accident and not combat?

February 26, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  8. Esma

I have a feeling that no matter what laws are passed to close up corporate loopholes, the corporations will find a way to circumvent them.

February 26, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  9. Pati Mc

You know, to me it is perfectly logival, you make more money, you should pay more taxes. It should be one percentage, right? Maybe I am over-simplifying...

February 26, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  10. sharon, sydney, cape breton

I don’t know, keeping support troops isn’t really bringing them all home. Our soldiers, (Canadian) started in Afghanistan on a peace keeping mission. At least that’s how it was “sold” to us. Now it’s a full fledged war. I realize they are fighting in both countries to bring peace, but how can fighting bring about peace.

February 26, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  11. Maureen, Georgia

I think we should wait until tomorrow to hear what Pres. Obama is going to say about the residual troops to be left in Iraq before we assume anything.

February 26, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  12. brenda

100 mil to education ? How will it directly benefit me? Just heard that Orange county ,fl ( where my kid goes to school ) are planning on a 4-day week to cut cost and increase class sizes to reduce teachers ...
    Will any of the budget allocation change a thing for us????

February 26, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  13. Minou, New York City

Yes, close these big loopholes they've all been jumping through for ages.

February 26, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  14. Kate Colwell

Anderson: Of course a family can run a deficit! It's called debt. It's called huge mortgages with limited or negative equity.

February 26, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  15. Michelle

Well at least you can not say President Obama
    is not a man of his word. He is doing what he
    said he would do during the campaign. He is
    carrying out his mandate.

February 26, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  16. Lori from IL

Glad to see the cost of the wars actually being included in the budget as opposed to the last several years - when it was simply not part of the budget and the amount of money spent was basically hidden from us.

February 26, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  17. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

When all is said and done, I wonder if we (or our kids) will ever have to deal with anything like this ever again. I certainly hope not. The good part is that American's (and Canadians, obviously) are paying attention to our government more than I can ever remember.

February 26, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  18. Clarence

Halving the deficit sounds like a tax increase.

February 26, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  19. Mike, Syracuse NY

Bush increased the deficit by $5 trillion in 8 years. Obama's projections show almost that much increase in 4 years.

February 26, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  20. Susan

Anderson:

Families cannot run deficits? What do you think that 10s of thousands of dollars of credit card debt and personal bankruptcy are?

February 26, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Ohhhh Boy!!!! 3,600000000000….wow
    That is so lot of dollars!!!

February 26, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  22. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Chris, Esma, Megan, Vanessa, BettyAnn, and all my fellow conversationalists!

I am a little leery of the idea of pulling troops out of Iraq so quickly but I guess thats why I'm not the President..I am excited to here more about the President's budget.

February 26, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  23. Nattada, Houston TX

Is it really the number for money? 3.6 with eleven zeros!!!

February 26, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  24. Sabrina

Please make sure you note that both WARS are included in this budget which also makes the size bigger.

February 26, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  25. Mike, Syracuse NY

Obama is full of it. The war supplemental budgets were debated and approved by Congress. They are public record. Maybe Obama was too busy campaigning to notice the votes that passed in a bipartisan manner.

February 26, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  26. Rafael

Hello Anderson and Erica and bloggers

Many news today involving the war in Iraq. On how Obama is getting ready to bring our troops back home by August of 2010. This is going to be a interest topic tonight to blog about tonight.

February 26, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  27. Esma

Eleven zeros is too much. Yeesh! My numerophobia is coming back!

February 26, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  28. Vanessa, TX

oh thank goodness ac360 is gonna try to break it down..cuz frankly I don't get it..too much money

February 26, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  29. Isabel, Brazil

Hello, Anderson,
    It’s good to see you!

Hi, Megan, Esma, Betty, Ashley, ChrisS, EJ, Rikki, Vanessa …
    Evening for everyone!

How many news today!
    Plan with estimates of budget deficits, suspension of benefits for the oil industry, drop in sales of homes, Stock exchanges in low …

February 26, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  30. starr formerly known as vincent

Hi everyone on the show & fellow bloggers.

Not so much concerned about Irag soldiers returns be slightly delayed as i am about troops goining into
    afganistan.

No country has EVER won in the border region in Afganistan, that should be noted by everyone.

February 26, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  31. brenda

I feel the whole Iraq deal will end up becoming another Afghanistan ,where we leave things half done and give rise to more Talibans and Osamas.... it is scary !!!

February 26, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  32. Minou, New York City

hi all.
    I don't see how Pres Obama could do it any different. His plan sounds good to me.

February 26, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  33. Uli, NY

This news is really, truly disappointing. It's totally useless to want so, but I wish we could bring everyone home from Iraq.
    But I understand that we have to do SOMETHING to stabilize the country we hurt. We should never have gone there, so I'll hold judgment until we see results.

February 26, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  34. Just Words

What praytell is a non-combat soldier in Iraq?
    I hope President Obama doesnt use funny words like Bush did.
    He aint fooling nobody if he keeps 50,000 soldiers in Iraq!
    Obama is being disingenuous!

February 26, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  35. Lori from IL

Three additional months - I don't see this as a big deal as far as his campaign promise is concerned. Obviously he's privy to additional informationonce he was elected and inaugurated. I'm happy when people adjust their actions based on additional information.

February 26, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Clarence

This is just his first budget....

February 26, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Esma

So if all combat troops are out by 8/10, how many non-combat troops would be left in Iraq?

February 26, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Glen Up North

Brandi: non-combat troops are (supposedly) what Canada sends every time: "peacekeepers". Sounds much better than "soldiers", I admit, but I think their goal is more about maintaining the peace than bringing on war.

February 26, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Pati Mc

I don't believe that I hae ever seen a number that large and frankly I cannot fathom it. Yikes...ELEVEN zeroes????

February 26, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Brandi - bottom of the boot

@EJ,

haha, ill go with ya!

how many zeroes are on that screen??? ouch.

February 26, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Clarence

3.600000000000....wow

February 26, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  42. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Hello my friends in Anderland! President Obama can't bring the troops home soon enough. Good for him!

@Anderson~Germs through the skin? After I thought about it and how substances are absorbed through the skin, I became phobic "also"!
    So, thanks for nothin' 😉

February 26, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Vanessa, TX

hey Anderson, Erica, AC360 crew, my fellow smartee bloggers,
    Ashley, NY, Esma, Betty Ann, Chris S., Megan, Rikki, Vanessa Silver springs, Brandi..and I'm sure I forgot some smartees.... 🙂

is that a good idea, pulling troops out so quickly? most soldiers don't want to come home

February 26, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Anderson, Erica, David G, David in IN, Brandi, Esma, Rikki, Michelle D, Glen, EJ, Ashley, Isabel, Chris S, Vanessa TX, Patti, Casey and best bloggers!!!!!
    Happy Thursday!!!!!!
    I am hearing there will be breaking news tonight so busy!!!!
    I am glad that our troops will pull out of Iraq..... That is good news!!!

February 26, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Clarence

Complete pullout by August 2010... wow... Where will all the fire power go.... except to Afghanistan.

February 26, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Brandi - bottom of the boot

goodevening all.

Non-combat troops sounds bad to me.

February 26, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Lori from IL

Good evening Anderson, Erica and Fellow Bloggers -

Another busy day in the news - looking forward to another lively "chat" tonight.

February 26, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Floor crews, Panel members, and all bloggers.

February 26, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Glen Up North

Evening Anderson, Erica, David, CNN, and excellent bloggers (I'm scared to name any for fear of forgetting others! 🙁 ) !

February 26, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Jennifer - Michigan

Hello Anderson – Good show tonight.

February 26, 2009 at 10:00 pm |