February 24th, 2009

Statement from Rupert Murdoch

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/US/02/24/cartoon.murdoch/art.cartoon.nypost.jpg caption="This New York Post cartoon by Sean Delonas sparked a debate over race and cartooning."]

Rupert Murdoch
The New York Post

As the Chairman of the New York Post, I am ultimately responsible for what is printed in its pages. The buck stops with me.

Last week, we made a mistake. We ran a cartoon that offended many people. Today I want to personally apologize to any reader who felt offended, and even insulted.

Read more...

Filed under: 360º Follow • Race in America
  1. Asela De Silva

It's always very easy to say "I'm sorry". But shouldn't the ones responsible in deciding what to publish have checked the caricature beforehand? And even if they did, all their excuses would fail because this as it is depicts hatred and sarcasm towards a particular group of people and is easily comprehended by a reasonably prudent man.

It's one thing to have political satire, and a totally different situation to foster hatred in groups of people.

Please, let this be the last mistake ever as long as caricatures come in.

February 24, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  2. WANDA- SOUTH CAROLINA

I hope this question that I am about to ask will not be construed as racist. All the hands that it passed through on its way to print, did anyone happen to be black? This cartoon was too obvious if you happen to be an african-american looking at it. I was just wondering if that was the case because if it was, they would have most likely made note of the racial undertones. It was not that long ago, and I know we think that we have come a long way in racial equality, but african-americans were called monkey as a racial slur. So were these cartoonists just that young or they just don't get it!

February 24, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  3. Mike in NYC

Rule to follow - if you don't think you did anything wrong, don't apologize.
    If you apologize anyway, you'll look like a chump and a weakling, and your opponents will demand more.

There's no such thing a right not to be offended.

February 24, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  4. Michelle Johnson, Lomita, CA

As a multi-ethnic African-American, I am very relieved by Mr. Murdoch's apology, and do hope Sean Delonas is telling the truth when he says he didn't mean to imply racism and something even more sinister through the cartoon. I was stunned when I saw the cartoon on CNN 360, and it was in awful taste no matter the implication. Because of the imagery–the monkey, historically associated with bigotry toward black people, knowing President Obama is the leader, thus responsible for the stimulus bill, and the unnameable thing that comes to mind seeing the monkey shot dead. Of course it's wrong to accuse the cartoonist of implying this, but I couldn't help but wonder.

February 24, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  5. Donna

talking about dumb stuff, how about them bosses out there firing the hard working person because they dont like a crew? it's easy to replace someone, even though the bosses are ruining someones whole family! who cares right?

February 24, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  6. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Bill-–The apology was expected---simply a mistake or error-–that depends on the eye of the beholder and the real answer lies with the cartoonist Delonas--don't speak for others-–that is a mistake.

February 24, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  7. cris colon

I understand it was a borderline cartoon and it should've been replaced to avoid uproar, but u have to take the word of the creator and leave it at that. As an african american my 1st take was that this guy is racist but I was only sayin that since it was forced on me by thousands suggesting it was a racist comic. When I sat back and formed my own opinion putting myself in their shoes I thought maybe this guy has seen his share of careerbuilder commercials referencing a monkey as dumb. I see what he's getting at and i understand if his word is true. Police shooting the monkey dead was very much in bad taste though and it doesn't come as a surprise america dislikes it especially given our current circumstances with President Obama. Thanks for the apology....and don't let it happen again. ::free pass::

February 24, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  8. Bill

Nice apology! I'm sure it was simply a mistake and not an error.

Was it the NY Post or the NY Times that posted that cartoon? What is the difference? I've heard several people asking those questions.

Well, with all due respect, you know what some people say, "Oh, New Yorkers? They're all the same."

Your apology should prove those people otherwise.

February 24, 2009 at 12:40 pm |