February 24th, 2009

President Obama, Facebook and you

Anderson Cooper

President Obama, Facebook and you

We're trying something new tonight, and I think you'll like it. We want to see what some of the 175 million Facebook users around the world think about President Obama's speech to a Joint Session of Congress tonight.

So we'll be posting questions on Facebook during the speech, and then we'll share the results in our two-hour edition of AC360 right after the President’s remarks. The questions will refer to specific issues raised during the President’s speech, and your answers will help us take the pulse of how the President did tonite.

We've never done this before, neither has Facebook - no one has. So, for us, this will be an exciting experiment.

What do you think we should ask? Post a comment below and let us know. You can check out the questions later tonite, during the speech on Facebook, and we’ll have the answers for you tonight on AC360 at 10PM ET.

See you then..

1. Heather G

I really like what Obama had to say last night. Alot of the things that he said last night really hit home for me last night, I'm unemployed with three small children and my fiance has to work very long hours just to make ends meet. I have tried looking into going to college but with the way that the economy is we won't be able to afford it even if I get student loans or grants. I hope everything that Obama had mentioned last night will happen very soon, because that's what this country needs, hope and relief.

February 25, 2009 at 10:41 am |
  2. Janet C

What a feeling! It as so refreshing last night to hear the voice of a leader again. What kept going through my mind is 'what if'. What if we had gone from Clinton to Obama? This country would be ten years ahead of things instead of ten years bhind. George W. Bush bankrupted every business he was ever involved in. Why did America think he would not bankrupt us?

February 25, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  3. Jody Boudreaux

The good thing about CNN is I can still continue with my social calendar knowing CNN will run the Presidential broadcasts over & over. The White House dinner competed with the Oscars & his Stat of the Union with Mardi Gras.

Hey Anderson, I'd like to see that type of casual, humorous banter between Matt Lauer & Obama with you. Stop looking so serious and loose that frowny face. You have a great smile & a sense of humor.

And, how bout Nawlins? I still want you to be my spokesperson for my disaster relief foundation.

February 25, 2009 at 9:29 am |
  4. Michelle M.

Good Morning Anderson,

We continue to hear about the bailout money and stimulus money to be given out. President Obama claimed more than once last night that it will not become a financial burden on our children, yet the only money generated he referred to was $2 trillion over the next ten years. That comes short of what he is giving away at this moment. So, my question is: "Where is the money coming from?"

February 25, 2009 at 9:23 am |
  5. Alana Allen

Hello Anderson, I love your show. You are an excellent reporter. After watching President Obama address the nation last night, I was impressed with his determination to help solve the economic problems of our nation. It appears to me that President Obama's speech was geared towards the American people. His objective was to inform us that we will recover from this tribulation, and America will once again lead the world. First, we need to clean house starting with the federal government, and that is what our president proposes to do. Nations are corrupt because their governments are corrupt. That is the nature of politics, but it does not have to be that way. We have the ability and the intelligence to become a better nation, and that should be our main focus.

February 25, 2009 at 8:09 am |
  6. Lance Smith(LS)

Congratulations to all of you who somehow manage to earn more than 250K. It goes to Obama- "he gets it"

February 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  7. Pam

Jindal is saying the same thing as Obama. You call that a rebuttal.

February 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  8. Tamara

Is there any reason Bobby Jindal sounds like Mr. Rogers when addressing the nation during his national debut? I couldn't get past it. He blew it.
    Tamara, Burbank, CA

February 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  9. Toni

The rebublican blahs and boos are not helpful. Thr rebuttal is not helpful. That's why we're in the situation we're in now. That's right ,mess up the government and leave the citizen's to solve it for themselves. "we can do anything", but not when government is doing "anything" with our money and talking to us like we never graduated from grade school.

February 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  10. Richard B.Armstrong

First of all does this guy in luisianna have a clue> hey if it is watching a volano(for safety concerns ) im sure or watching some wall st.clown your giving someone a job which will create income,therefore creating commerce.
    anyways,its like this,we need to take care of our citizens ,bobby j,and since u are not taking the money then your turning your back on your own states citizens ,yes dude,some people REALLY NEED the money so get off your soap box and let the people decide and not you,
    the problem with this country is our leaders and maybe Obama does have a clue.
    yeah it is spedning but its going to create income and commerce
    this boby J in luisianna needs to make sense and stop whining

February 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  11. ceejay

I would like to know where we are these people that think the stimulus work because it proposes governement spending in the united states not iraq. where were you all while bush spent 5 billion a month on the ridiculus war . didnt hear a sound now that someone is trying to do something here in our own country you A-Holes has all these opinions and fiscal responsibility.. I hope you Republican Crooks never get another opportunity the screw up again. Its seems to me evertime the Republicans are in charge things get worst... Clinton left a Surplus . What Good has any Republican done except give to the rich and take from the poor ..Good Riddens

February 24, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  12. john marcus

This was a great speech full of ambition and realism. The rebuplicans were finally called out for what they did when he mentioned the deficit. They can try all they want to win the PR battle with the help of the new media, but the truth will always come through that they got us into this. So why in the world would anyone think they can get us out of it? The people who support obama find their own info they don't rely on you. We are prepared to sacrifice for this country in any way. I thought it was especially telling when the republicans stayed seated for all the education initiatives. They want to keep america stupid because if you are educated you might just see through the BS.

February 24, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  13. Live

Gov. Jindal is fake! He doesn't sound sincere! Obama is real and can relate to the American people.

February 24, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  14. richard d antone

hello and good evening anderson what is obama going to do as as helping us that are on social security disability as much as giving us money in our pockets so we can get by there was much spoken to us about these subjects and what about medicaid as far as covering chiropractor services ?

February 24, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  15. Jana Fuscaldo

I think he's intelligent, inspiring, and I believe he is The Man for the job. I hope that he is able to deliver all that he hopes to accompllish!

p.s. I love you way more that Kathy Griffin

February 24, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  16. Jp

Interesting ... one of the first things I hear is how Obama expects to much, he's a dreamer and yet we are the greatest country in the world! Some how our country can't rally together and unite! We can over come, we can prevail and we can solve more than one problem at a time. Being ambitious is not a negative ... Kennedy challenged us to go to the moon and we did! Big deal, Obama is challenging us to so much more ... solving more than one problem at a time. So what is wrong with challenging us to meet the hardships of the day? I am glad our president has high expectations for us ... we can deliver, and it is about time some one has the faith to put their political career on the line for the middle class.

February 24, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  17. John B

The mortgage plan as announced by the President is needed, and it is needed by those who are not irresponsible in obtaining the mortgage. Many people have had job layoffs that have resulted in lower-paying jobs. Question: Instead of basing the target amount for the Mortgage Plan at 31%–why not make it lower, say, 20-25%? Even those who spend 31% on a monthly mortage, that leaves little to fund other mandatory items: groceries, taxes, routine bills, tuition for children if applicable. The Loan Servicers should be able to listen to hardship cases and bring the Loans down to a manageable amount–not just an arbitrary percentage such as 31%. If it remains at this number, the number should be a percentage of After Tax income–not 31% Before Tax.

February 24, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  18. Jason

Mr President,

Please answer this question. How are we going to pay for the jobs you intend on creating and the expansion of healthcare, if all we are doing is printing more and more money ? Isnt this going to lead us into high inflation ? A possible hyper inflation like 1930's pre Nazi Germany, where the dollar is so devalued people use it for wall paper..

February 24, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  19. Josie

I'm doing something I've never done before. I'm listening to Obama very closly. I have faith in him. Some of the Republicans are acting "Old-School". They refuse to "Give Change a Chance".

February 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  20. Scott Harford

Hi Anderson,

I thought your comment after the speech about the goals set by the president may have included the cure for cancer, i.e. being too ambitious. May I remind you this nation put a man on the moon with less technology than the power in one of todays calculators. Solving our earthly problems is well within our capabilities. We just need to put the our noses to the grindstone.

February 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  21. lala

If Obama is willing to fix the problems of Americans and the Republicans are not willing to work with him because they want
    to see him fail, God will purnish them for putting Americans into
    hell.Where were the Republicans with all these concept s when
    Bush was in the office?STOP THE POLITICS, THE TIME IS SERIOUS
    AND DANGEROUS.HELP AMERICANS, YOUR OWN PEOPLE.

February 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  22. Vamsi

I think this will be a good experiment.

Good Luck!

Sincerely,

Vamsi

Ashburn,VA

February 24, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  23. Sonja Silvers

Jindal is good at reading a script, I think he missed his calling, he belongs in Hollywood. What an actor/storyteller! Oh yeah, that's kids movies and storybooks he belongs in! Right boys and girls?

February 24, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  24. WayneFrWpg

Obama's speach writer needs to check his facts a little closer.
    The first car was invented in Germany. Couldn't help but laugh at that. Hope he can make the rest happen though. Good Luck to him and all of you.

February 24, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  25. JANIE

Bobby Jindal, needs to clean up Louisiana, he needs that stimulus money for the people on the street in La. I was recently there, and it is an abomination to the United States, he is a fool, Louisiana is a Stinky mess! So while he is being fronted up for the Republicans he needs to clean up the mess first in Louisiana. What spirit!

February 24, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  26. JoAnne Lee Carulli

SHORT, BUT SWEET. WHEN YOU FORECLOSE ON YOUR HOUSE, WHERE IS EVERYONE GOING ? THE RENTS FOR APARTMENTS ARE MORE THAN MORTGAGES. WHY ISN'T ANYONE ADDRESSING RENTS ON APARTMENTS????

February 24, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  27. Albert

Let's start by cutting the cost of Correctional Facilities and the Beaurecrecies that run them. If we legalized most of the drugs that are currently outlawed and only applied the same laws that are used to control alcohol and tobacco to them we would save billions of dollars annually. Let's face it the druggies would drop dead or be in jail for the same crimes that drunk drivers are and the drug trafficking around the world would be cut 80 to 90% or more.

February 24, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  28. Shelley in Minnesota

I LOVE our new president! I respect & admire all he has said–Its refreshing, after 8 years, to see someone so articulate & down to earth speak about our country & these trying times. It angers me to hear people ask if its too hopeful or too optimistic–thats bull....He is exactly what we need in these times–to lift up our hope & our love of country again. I love this man & what he represents! He feels like a friend, not a politician & I will defend him for as long as he is MY president! Thank you Mr President!

February 24, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  29. Gizmo

Who is this weirdo speaking. OMG. Make him stop. Mr. Rogers passed away, let him rest in peace!

February 24, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  30. Joe F

Good idea, but I am not going to watch it. He is going to repeat himself again, and again. And at the end you going to have the same percentage of people saying " What's for me?".

February 24, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  31. Lynn-Ann

Interesting that most arguments have been about what our President isn't doing about certain things. He inherited a horrible debt. Excuse me but did you think the day he took office he was going to wave a magic wand and it would all disappear?

It takes time. Unfortunately, we in this "fast food" "get serviced" in 2 minutes or less society want everything NOW. Patience, perserverence. He told us from the get go, it would take time.

I do recognize that this bailout is foremost on the minds of each of us. And it owuld be nice to bail out the people, not the banks. Of course we all know that's not going to happen, but let's be resonable here, it's not going to happen within a month.

I wouldn't want to be in our President's shoes. You try cleaning up an 8 year mindf*ck and see how you do...

I look forward to what our President has to say.

February 24, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  32. Ronan

Well what a snub to your Allies that was Mr. President! No mention of the lives lost and support offered in your fight in Afghanistan by the Brits and Canadians? Well why don't we just pack up and leave now!

February 24, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  33. Toni

This man, the repulican, acts like he's talking to first graders. Is he running for office or what? Why is he bringing up race????

February 24, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  34. Dawn

With my stimulus package, $13.00 a week, I plan to help stimulate the baking industry and meat processing, I will buy 2 extra loaves of bread and an extral pack of bologna a week. Thanks to our Congress, from the middle class.

February 24, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  35. Brennan

Anderson,

I'd love to see President Barack Obama elbow drop the entire Republican party. Twice.

Thanks,

Brennan C. Pinyan

February 24, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  36. Dan

Anderson as an Illinois citizen I wonder if anyone noticed - was the junior senator from Illinois in the house chamber for the speech?

February 24, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  37. Star

People in the US are like sheep. I wouldn't get a Facebook account if I had to. I think it sucks that people are being hurded to one specific website. I think Facebook totally sucks. Talk about the government and the media working together to promote everyone registering on one web site. How much of the Stimulus bill is going to Facebook? I am turning more and more against our government and Obama. I did not vote for him... he voted yes on Bush's robbing of this country as did McCain.

February 24, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  38. Megan

Disappointed in some of the comments made by the CNN analysts following President Obama's speech to Congress and our nation – they pose the question, "Can he do all this???"

Our president will not solve all of our issues – he calls each one of us to participate to rebuild our nation, the economy, reform education and healthcare. We, as citizens of the US, must take action and remain accountable for the state of our nation.

February 24, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  39. anna v fuentes

mr.president i need your help if you could help god bless you alot please help

February 24, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  40. Nancy

Obama did it again. I'm proud to be an American. The most memorable theme in his speech for me.... My budget I plan on submitting is mindful of our current situation, yet it is one of vision.
    Vision is what will pull this country through. Its the light at the end of the tunnel.

February 24, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  41. Zoby Soto

I'd like to know when 401ks will be addressed. We should be able to withdraw without penalties and w/o paying back. We do not have much left anyway

February 24, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  42. JoAnne Lee Carulli

I can't believe it took me so long to find out how to get on here. President Obama is a dream, a great guy, he is trying so hard and he is a wonderful human being. I have no time to myself, but I will even volunteer or do whatever he wants to get things in order. He doesn't need this challenge, but he is getting all of us "ordinary people" to go along with him.

February 24, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  43. anna v fuentes

i need to talk with obama

February 24, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  44. aamad jalloh

Ok this is not about banks it is about helping people....but how mr president? How could you possibly help ordinary folks without helping the banks? Would that work mr president?

February 24, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  45. Karen

Would you ask if it would be possible for the social security tax to be frozen and not taken from all American workers for six months to a year. That would give each American an average 7.5% pay increase immediately. Then once you stop the flow of money could we then assess how the money should be spent wisely and then retax.

February 24, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  46. Toni

How do we know what can be done until we try?? America has done such great things in the past, who says we can't do it now? I think the media should only report, not try to sway opinion.

February 24, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  47. Karla

Awesome speech!!!!! Keep up the good work Pres. Obama, I don't envy your job at all but we sure do appreciate you. My husband and I will continue to pray for continued wisdom and favor regarding the "crisis" that stands before us.

February 24, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  48. Bertha

The speech lacked a discussion of how credit card companies should be dealt with now that they're are increasing (and in some cases, DOUBLING) their interest rates. I am one of those people who went into debt primarily as a result of my health. The President mentioned a great deal about fixing the healthcare system, but nothing on how to help those of us with debt that resulted from our health–be it to make premium paments, copays, buy medicine, or any other debt that resulted directly from the person's health. I am also one of those people who pay more than the minimum due and now as a result, received a Dear John letter from a credit card company (in my case, Capital One) telling me that I can either accept the doubled rate increase or close my account.

February 24, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  49. Loria Corder

I am so glad he addressed some important issues regarding healthcare, especially the electronic healthcare IT error. How much would this type of system cost the American people.

How long will it take for a turn around?

February 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  50. Rita Chelala

Banks & Corporations are still in denial...They're asking for a bailout but continue to splurge irresponsibly...The fact that the government rushed to their aid, the lesson hasn't been learned. I think the neediest people should be bailed out and that would make the economy prtially recover.

February 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm |