February 24th, 2009

President Obama, Facebook and you

Anderson Cooper

President Obama, Facebook and you

We're trying something new tonight, and I think you'll like it. We want to see what some of the 175 million Facebook users around the world think about President Obama's speech to a Joint Session of Congress tonight.

So we'll be posting questions on Facebook during the speech, and then we'll share the results in our two-hour edition of AC360 right after the President’s remarks. The questions will refer to specific issues raised during the President’s speech, and your answers will help us take the pulse of how the President did tonite.

We've never done this before, neither has Facebook - no one has. So, for us, this will be an exciting experiment.

What do you think we should ask? Post a comment below and let us know. You can check out the questions later tonite, during the speech on Facebook, and we’ll have the answers for you tonight on AC360 at 10PM ET.

See you then..

1. Karla

I believe that Pres Obama has reached a full understanding of his duties for his first 30 days in office. I was encouraged when he focused on the facts and not just rhetoric. As a member of the working class, my husband and I have not lost our jobs but we feel the recession due to lack of healthcare and lack of reasonable wage increase.
    I am; however, disappointed that he did not focus on our immigration situation which does in some ways affect the economy. The taxpayers are paying for their stay in our country. Though they do pay sales tax it does not make up for the other taxes that need to me met.

February 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  2. KS Randall

This was a great idea! Please do this type of event again! ^_^

February 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  3. Brian Christopher

David Gergen is right that we are watching the greatest political drama of our time... and isn't it refreshing to have a President who's one of the smartest people in the room?

February 24, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  4. kosland

Would have been nice if this showed how to find it on facebook!

February 24, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  5. David Gumins

I think asking the Facebook users opinions is an amazing idea. I believe that we should focus on things in a completely different way. In the early 20th century, the motto was "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country!" Where is that now?? Instead of saying how much money do we get, what if we start saying, how can i get more involved in our government.
    Our government needs help, but WE should have the chance to save it!!!

President Obama should create a Department to help get more people involved in the government, esp. young kids and teenagers!

IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO GET PRESIDENT OBAMA TO READ THIS COMMENT, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT
    thanks!

February 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  6. Marie Anne Sam

Hi Anderson, I would love to...be the part of this 'great experiment with Facebook'...I've seen it done by CNN via YouTube (Presidential Debate) and now its FaceBook...quite a milestone!...

My dilemma is the 'time difference' as I am on the other part of the planet (Manila, Phils. in Southeast Asia). You'd be discussing while I am having my zzzzzz.... 🙂

Just want to share my view though why a great powerful nation such as the USA is on the middle of this 'global recession'.

I think the so-called 'US democracy' had been very lenient to the point that even its citizens are abusing it. Democracy is for the people, by the people but there is still the government to moderate it. I hope that the present US administration will find the right solution and attitude to resolve all these. We'll be watching!!!..the whole world that is!

February 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  7. Dave Parkinson

Why does it seem like everyone who has made bad decisions (ie. banks, consumers, companies) are getting bailed out (bailout money, 4% mortgages) and people who are living within their means and making smart financial decisions are getting nothing more than an extra 13 dollars a week? Why do we reward idiocy and not hold people accountable for their poor decisions?

February 24, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  8. John Youngbear

Native American communities have perpetually spiraled downward economically since the reservations were created. While we have adapted and overcome our hardships, does this mean we will be left out of the recovery? Does this administration see value in Native America as a viable tool in America's recovery?

February 24, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  9. Maggie

How can the Republicans argue with anything President Obama just said in his speech? He makes way too much sense. He's ethical, logical, intelligent, and inspiring.

February 24, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  10. Eddy

Anderson,
    These key issues are important . Energy, Health care and education. On the right track. Just how and where the money will be spent we'll have to wait and see. I am certain the Demarcates will do a better job in spending American tax paying dollars on these issues. Especial since it seems as if our troops will be coming home soon maybe in the next year. Apart from the economic crises that have cost Americans thousands of jobs this speech is key.

February 24, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  11. gmocombe

anderson it feels good to see a president speak as if his speach was his own!!!!! OUTSTANDING JOB MR.PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!! LET'S SEE THE REPUGS TRY TO TOP THAT!!!!!

February 24, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  12. Toni

Keep faith alive!!!

February 24, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  13. Kay Yak

I want to hear about universal health care (UHC). At one time it was stated that UHC would cost $138 billion. Now, after the stimulus package and the bank bailout, this amount seems like small change.

Imagine how our companies would be able to operate at if we had UHC. A burden that would be shared by all equally.
    The people out of work at least would not have to worry about getting medical care or prescriptions.

What is the main responsibility of government? Infrastructure, Safety, Education, and Welfare of the people. Is it now time to add welfare of the people with Universal Health Coverage.

February 24, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  14. Dana

Great speech. Lots of promises, Hope we see some action.

Is the President growing a moustache???

February 24, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  15. paul harbin

You know, I hope motivating words don't fall on def ears. He is doing what he needs to do, but I'm sure a strong a fair speech is already being chopped up into bites for a typical this and that stand off. He is providing leadership, congress and senate have to follow through.

February 24, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  16. Eugenia - San Francisco

day of reckoning has not arrived yet

February 24, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  17. Taher Lashkeri

I m all for Obama's plan of taxing companies who are sending jobs out of america. bring those jobs back here.

February 24, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  18. Denise from Canada

Question:

President Obama, would you be willing to take a serious cut in your presidential income, a 'wage decrease' as it were, or donate a large portion to charity as gesture to Americans and the rest of the world that you are empathic to their suffering? I know it would be mainly symbolic, but I feel it would send the right signal and be a thoughtful act. Best of luck to you, Sir.

February 24, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  19. TimT

I want to believe everything President Obama said in his speech. I want to believe he can do it all, but the realist in me knows better.

Sorry to say, but President Obama is just a salesman – a very good one.

American people need to be more pragmatic, more realist, I fear they have watched too many movies where a hero comes along in the last second and saves the day and now they see Obama as this hero.

Reality is – debt got us into this problem and therefore it cannot get us out. Its simple. We need to suffer the consequences of the lifestyles we lived which were far beyond our means. Failing to come to this realization ensures future generations will be burdened so that we today can live better (easier) lives.

February 24, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  20. Sylvia Carrizales

Hey Anderson:
    Great idea! And what a honor to have a President who can actually give a speech with passion and commitment..without stumbling and bumbling like our former (twit) President!

Go President Obama! There is hope! Again...

February 24, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  21. Glen Up North

Thanks Anderson for this interesting experiment... However, it does seem to be _devouring_ my remaining hard disk space (at the rate of about 15 MB a minute). Don't know how long I'll be able to watch...

February 24, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  22. hefzi molina

such a creatiivee iidea! i think is gonna draw ppls attention and raise awareness as to what ppl can do to make their voice heard & encourage participation! you go anderson or whoever came up w the idea

February 24, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  23. Lewis Silverman

Why do Republicans seem so grumpy?

February 24, 2009 at 9:56 pm |
  24. kelly

I'm on AC360 on facebook and the only discussion boards are from 2007 and 2008 - what page are you posting the questions from the speech? ??

February 24, 2009 at 9:55 pm |
  25. Henya

Hello
    I am watching our President obama speaks it great, we finally got a good one I have allot of confidence in hem he is the right President for our times

February 24, 2009 at 9:55 pm |
  26. Victoria from Tomahawk, WI

Having just been accepted to my University for this coming fall school year (go Class of 2009!), and going through all the bump and grind of finding financial aid, I'm just wondering, what are the exact details of the tuition add on from the ARRA (Stimulus Package)?

Also, on the other financial side, will the 84 milion (give or take the 100 million for the various inspectors) for Government Oversight on this Stimulus Package be enough to make sure that this money is distributed and managed accordingly?

I'm actually writing a paper on the Stimulus Package so any opinions would be awesome! Thanks Anderson! Brilliant ideas as always from the 360 crew! Glad to finally "add" you on Facebook 🙂

February 24, 2009 at 9:55 pm |
  27. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

Hi Anderson
    Well i don't have a facebook account but it sounds like a cool idea . I want to know is it the same as live blogging with a face attached to it ?
    These techno savy things leave me a bit bemused and perplexed .
    Please get everyone in the media to be less biased towards Obama
    and keep them honest for the politicans are so crooked and the Wall street fat cats have to be held accountable .

February 24, 2009 at 9:52 pm |
  28. Crissy

1. Don't you think you're safety and Michelle, Malia and Sasha is more important than saving money? The budget isn't going to crash because you pay for the choppers but the choppers can. Awesome job!!

February 24, 2009 at 9:52 pm |
  29. kriti

cool idea !!

February 24, 2009 at 9:49 pm |
  30. Barb

in order to address burgeoning health care costs, Obama MUST address malpractice reform. Being a practicing physician, more than 50% of health care costs accumulate to mitigate against a lawsuit. I haven't heard that yet.

February 24, 2009 at 9:47 pm |
  31. Mike

How can Obama state that the days of lavish CEO lifestyles is over when he and his fellow senators and congressmen have yet to take any steps in cutting back. They have THE best benefits, healthcare, travel, etc. All you have to do is serve one term in congress and you're set for life......how is this fair. Don't tell me that I don't deserve to make more in the private sector and take advantage of my efforts through higher salaries and bonuses when I have worked my tail off to achieve that. Don't lead by talking, lead by actions. You want to convince me that "sharing the wealth" is the right thing to do.....start with yourself Mr. President! Mr. Obama has a new helicopter, a new Air Force One (two planes now), the list goes on and on......the one thing Obama doesn't have is a clue on how to fix this economy. The market may have gotten us into this mess.....the market will get us out.

February 24, 2009 at 9:47 pm |
  32. Carlene

Anderson,
    I think the President should ask all politicians to stop using military aircraft. They can use commercial airliners thereby helping to stimulate a business instead of using taxpayer money.

February 24, 2009 at 9:46 pm |
  33. Clarence

What do you think of the content of the speech and what do you think of the presentation by Obama? Did things change as the night went on?

February 24, 2009 at 9:46 pm |
  34. Choo Jones

President Obama is simply saying...live within YOUR means!!!

February 24, 2009 at 9:46 pm |
  35. Keith Gostel

You could see when the republicans began reacting positively to the speach. Who is the media company that is supplying them live audience reactions that told them that they were being frowned on for not supporting these middle class programs? They were obviously reacting to audience opinion polls. Is that info public or private?

February 24, 2009 at 9:45 pm |
  36. anthony andreu

what a pleasure, to have a president that know how to speak, i think he explained the plan very well, i feel confident about the future now.

February 24, 2009 at 9:43 pm |
  37. Mirna Vera

How much money does the United States spend on it's international relationship? Shouldn't we be cutting back on foreign financial aid ? How about bring back all those jobs that were outsourced to India and other countries? If I had the opportunity I would ask President Obama to list the five main reasons our economy took a nose dive, and what we can do to fix it. All these companies we are bailing out, have they revised their operation budget plans? Have they done a post mortem analysis of why their companies are faltering, and why weren't the warning signs heeded before the bottom fell out. You cannot expect the American people to believe that these corporations, our city, did not see this coming, but took no steps to fix the problem. Everyone who runs a household knows that you cannot spend more money that you have coming in, and you have to tighten your belts and cut back on luxuries when the times get tough. It is not necessary to pay someone millions of dollars to figure that out.

February 24, 2009 at 9:42 pm |
  38. Barbara in Boston

What happened to the questions posted on Facebook? I don't see them.

February 24, 2009 at 9:42 pm |
  39. Lizzette

As an educator, it is WONDERFUL to see the president reminding the world that it is education of our people that is the backbone of our nation and our existence.

Im behind my president!!!

February 24, 2009 at 9:39 pm |
  40. Mike Saratoga

First, commerical banks are lending. It's the securitization market, hedge funds and investment banks – the so-called shadow banking system – that aren't lending. Second, undercapitalized banks don't lend new capital (Dems don't seem to understand this). Show me a family who has SAVED and can't get a mortgage. Show me one. I'll get them a mortgage tomorrow through the FHA. Obama's just preying on the financial ignorance of the American public in this speech.

February 24, 2009 at 9:39 pm |
  41. Charles in North Carolina

I am so glad that President Obama is trying to unite America. Both parties need to unite and get America back on track. Republicans, put down your pride and unite with America! We are one of one nation.

February 24, 2009 at 9:35 pm |
  42. Lauren Shaw

Obama must tell the American people that we will receive relief immediately and tell us how this will happen. He must allay fears, give us hope, and restore our beliefs in America.

He must provide specifics. He must address THE MIDDLE CLASS WHO ARE THE UNDERDOGS AND WHO ARE DISAPPEARING AS WE LISTEN. PLEASE GET SPECIFIC. I BELIEVE IN YOU, WORKED TO GET YOU ELECTED, AND CONTINUE TO SUPPORT YOU.

REGULATION, LOWER TAXES, GREEN JOBS, LOWER HEALTHCARE COSTS

February 24, 2009 at 9:35 pm |
  43. David N

Obama's "tax cut" takes effect April 1st. Is this an attempt at irony on his part or is the prez prescient on the tax cut's effectiveness?

February 24, 2009 at 9:35 pm |
  44. Bjorn

Watching President Obama's speech tonight, I came to realise that this country is more divided than I once thought. You are trying to tell me that republicans cannot put aside there selfish desires and come together for the survival of this country?. As you can see, no!, and you want me to believe a day will come that we will overcome racism. I dont think so.

February 24, 2009 at 9:34 pm |
  45. Anitra

"My job.... Our job..... Is to solve the problem!!!!!!", says our president.

February 24, 2009 at 9:34 pm |
  46. Carrie Castro

Hi Anderson,

The banks are not only holding back on credit, they are also putting holds on payroll checks, they give all kinds of excuses and say the back office is doing it and they have no choice. I can wait a few days but what about those who can't. I would love to know how many other are facing this ridiculous practice and what we can do to get the banks working for us.

Thank you...Carrie

February 24, 2009 at 9:33 pm |
  47. Jishnu

This guy knows what he is talking about...even though I dont want to compare with Bush...If I recollect Bush speeches every time he came live on TV (be it when he announced fredie mac bail out, TARP stimulus or on other occassion before market opening), it was so clear he was reading what Mr Paulson or someone's script...But when you hear Prezi Obama...man he knows what he is saying..he takes full responsibility...he is not at his last 3 months of possible 8 year term...

February 24, 2009 at 9:31 pm |
  48. Rich

Not a big fan of social-networking sites!! There are millions of poor without internet access this evening!!

February 24, 2009 at 9:29 pm |
  49. Deanna Middleton

President Obama is trying, lets give him a chance. It's only been a month!
    The republicans are doing everthing they can to obstruct, wake up America. I watch the Senate and house vote, it's obvious what they are up to.
    Lets get behind him and stop picking him apart.
    This plan will work. His speech is wonderful.
    Pork concerns me, it's sad they have to buy the Senators votes.

February 24, 2009 at 9:27 pm |
  50. Toni

Why are the republicans so stiff and unwilling to acknowledge? Our country is in this together. They look so dull and old. No illumination.

February 24, 2009 at 9:27 pm |