February 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/23/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, Wa

Hellooo David G....
    I can't wait see pres. Obama 's speech tomorrow night... I am forwarding to watch and join live blog!

February 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  2. Monir

Stimulus passed, state budget passed but the controller is holding all California tax payers hostage by not issuing their due tax refunds. What's now!

February 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  3. Lauren--NY

Ashley, that comment about brussels sprouts being "journalist-y" is the first time I have laughed out loud at this blog.

Mike, your response was very interesting, thank you. It may be a shady process, but extra security measures don't seem like wasteful spending to me.

Jasmine, peas are not disgusting! You guys...*rolls eyes* 🙂

February 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  4. Brian in Minneapolis

David, one word is all that is needed for Citi and BofA .. bankruptcy! Let them go under... Wells Fargo and other banks will step in and buy up their assests at a fair (current) market value and life will go on for all of us. Citi, BofA, AIG are all financial black holes that cannot be saved without losing hundreds of billions (maybe trillions) of taxpayer dollars.

February 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  5. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Mr. Gergen, I'm not sure there are any clear answers for what we are to do with the banking industry. It really is a huge mess! I'm really looking forward to the President's speech tomorrow night!

February 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  6. Lori from IL

@ EJ – I agree, don't like cooked peas - but it you stand in the middle of a pea field, shuck them straight from the pod and eat them raw, they are great. (Grew up on a farm and my dad used to raise them for Del Monte.)

My favorite food group is chocolate! That is a food group, right?

February 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  7. Kathy, Chicago

Wouldn't it be awesome if we could end the conflict in Darfur.

February 23, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  8. Isabel, Brazil

Look!
    Now is the father (octuplets)!

February 23, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  9. Glen Up North

Maren, throw in the 360 dancers _dancing_ while they eat the Brussel Sprouts, and this could have the making of another Sunday blog party on AC360! 😉 And trust me, Jasmine, sweet peas (or snow peas) are definitely sweeter in taste than your run-of-the-mill cooked peas...

February 23, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  10. Jim

Don't believe many politicians are serving their constituents well. Appears they forgot there purpose to serve their constituents not their parties. Kudos to Gov. Crist!

February 23, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  11. Tony In England

Anderson. Steam Brussels and eat them with horseradish. A superb vegetable, best eaten after they have been in frosty weather, My dog loves them, but there is a drawback, they give him bad wind .

February 23, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  12. Minou, New York City

I like Clooney's commitment to Dafur. He's not just doing a photo op. He's genuinely supportive of the cause, he's been for years now.

13. niwat, Chicago

Hi AC, AC360 casts and bloggers,

Can't wait to see the First Lady opened her kitchen to the culinary students–lucky them. I'm minorly envious, I would definitely be interested in the tour if my culinary school allowed me to participate back in the days. ( the macaroons looked delectable there)

Mr Cooper, have you ever tried wok stir-fried brussel sprouts with anchovies?...just thought you might wanna give it another try. Of all the greens, raw aloe vera comes last on my grocery's list.

14. starr formerly known as vincent

Hey everbody, brussels sprouts are great! You just have to knowhow to cook them....score the bottoms in the shape of an X and then when they are bright green they are ready. Many, many people overcook them and then they do taste aweful.

15. vanessa from silver spring, MD

@Esma, The only time I ever had Kale was when it was mixed with Collard Greens. It was good mixed like that.

@Ashley, Okay, Just Lettuce, I like Just Lettuce with Ranch Dressing. It's funny when I order salad, and they say what do you want on it, and I say nothing, just lettuce, they look at me like i'm crazy or something.lol

16. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Gergen, I knew someone would be on my side!

Who else would I watch Pres. Obama's speech with? I need my CNN team.

17. Esma

@ Steve in Southern Illinois-just make sure your cold germs don't get all over our comments... 😉

18. David Harrell

I'm amazed! Governor Jindal can be accused of political ambition for his decision but no one on this blog thinks Obama can be motivated by political ambition?

19. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Steve.. That is the best time to eat really healthy! you can't taste it 🙂

20. Isabel, Brazil

George Clooney is great!

21. Beth in CT

I haven't been back to the blog in a while and I can't believe the first thing I am writing is about brussel sprouts – I gave my husband $20 just to eat one, he hates them that much. PS. Great show.

22. Maren in Oregon

The only imperfect justice is justice undone. Even 8 years later is better than not at all.

23. Linda

Love your pic Anderson

I think your show does a good job of trying to get a diverse opinion, it just so happens that most people are in support of Obama. I agree with another blogger what President in 35 days has tackle what this President has done so far. I also enjoy how he talk and interacts with the people about the stimulus bill today.

ALSO I JUST LIKE TO SAY MICKEY ROURKE SHOULD HAVE WON

24. Shillie, Sioux Falls, SD

@ scott from VA... Agree completely! I'm a year younger then you but finished an internship at an advertising agency right when the recession started (they couldn't keep me obviously) and I never thought it would be this difficult. When there's hundreds of people applying for 1 job, how do you make yourself stand out? Would love to see a program on this too

25. Vanessa, TX

Hello Mr Gergen..aww you too are anti-brussels sprouts as well? I tried them once because I was dared..I won $5 but I cannot look at them now

February 23, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  26. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

@ Vanessa- you are so crazy! 🙂 But I haven't had swwet peas, so I'll try them and get back to you on that. 😉

February 23, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  27. Cessy, Chicago

will Condit get a public apology?

February 23, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  28. Glen Up North

I concur with EJ : I heard a Hyundai radio commercial this weekend talk about being able to return a new car within a year if loss of revenue occured.

February 23, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  29. Polly, OH

...Yeah. Nothing says fighting sensationalism like writing a tell-all book.

February 23, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  30. EJ (USA)

I’m surprised no one mentioned asparagus yet. Def the gold of vegetables. You should try Anderson. Much tastier than peas.

I forgot about asparagus. It is pretty good. One of the few that I like.

February 23, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  31. Brandi - bottom of the boot

awwww....anderson, there is nothing green that you like? seriously?

February 23, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  32. Shirley Thomason

Ali Velshi explained how the government's expenses are divided up and that the mandatory expenses make up a big portion of the "pie", which include Social Security & Medicare. Is there a danger those entities might be cut into causing a another great hardship to those already eeking by on them?

February 23, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  33. Mark in Philadelphia

I have yet to hear one person in the media apologize for their treatment of Gary Condit. The media ruined his life, and while his adultery was wrong he did not deserve all he has suffered. Can you be man enough to be the first to do so?

February 23, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, Wa

Finally!!!! that man was arrest of murder Chanrda Levy to solve murder for 8 years.

February 23, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  35. vanessa from silver spring, MD

@CaseyJ, I'll try the Spinach sauteed in Olive Oil. I doubt I will like it though. I've never cooked with Olive Oil, I use Canola Oil. I know they say that Olive Oil is the healthiest, but it's also the most expensive and with this economy, i don't know if I can splurge and get Olive Oil.LOL

February 23, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  36. Esma

I hope Chandra Levy's family gets some form of justice. That was such a hard case to stomach.

February 23, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  37. Isabel, Brazil

So sad

February 23, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  38. Bridget, TX

Well I'm in Texas with Governor Perry-GOP saying initially he wasn't going to take any of the money. I believe the response to that statement changed his mind. It's sickening that these representatives with their find homes, secure jobs and no threat of losing either is using this terrible period as a time to play politics.

39. MARIN

Copper everybody talking about stimulus,saving energy and cheaper health .I don't hear help for small inventors at patent office making easy to patent but only big companies awarded.I have 2+ months with back injury w/o help but pain medicine w/o having right to choose surgery but insurance and doctors get hundreds of dollars .What about creating a search engine to chose sevices like insurance qualify as A+,A++ for quality,prices and....will see then.

40. Doyle Peak

You can be sure that their are more scams .It is driven all by greed when the funds start drying up they all want to be bailed out. Oil is another area that is jerking our chain but their are to many politicans on the take to do anything about it. That is called letting them police themselves.

41. Terry from Minnesota

The Republicans believed in the "trickle-down" effect and that didn't work. Now is the time for the "trickle-up" effect, give every taxpayer $50,000 and that would stimulate the economy with investments, purchases and paid off credit. All the industries asking for a bail-out would be benefited.

42. Stephen Wilkerson Maryland

Anderson,

I feel the same way about the stimulus as I did about the surge in Iraq. I thought the democrates should have let the President have the surge and then waited to see the results. I also feel the Republicans should let the president have the stimulus and see if it works. If it doesn't then.... do we or don't we need to do something. I know many people who have lost their jobs.

Drew

43. Mike, Windermere, FL

Its time for us to grow up and step up! The national debt is $10.6 trillion and growing and folks are worried whether or not their taxes will increase? President Obama is not Houdini. This mess we're in will require some heavy lifting by all of us.

44. Don Shankle

Lets all face reality concerning cutting the budget deficit. If I were to spend my entire pay check on entertainment one night, and the very next day spend next weeks pay check on a large gift for my wife, how will I pay the bills at the end of the month.
    The answer is that I would have to get another job (increase my revenue).
    How is Obama going to pay for these huge governmental interventions? He has to raise taxes on everyone, not just the rich, but everyone and that will be a "drag" on the economy – making things worse.
    The alternative is to "print" more money which would be inflationary! We would then face inflationary pressures during a recession – something called "stagflation". History once again is about to be repeated.
    Please, if anyone of intellect is listening, lets stop this runaway train called governmental intervention.
    Let history be our guide to avoid this brewing catastrophy.

45. Atlanta

I've never eaten a brussel sprout...just the smell turned me off. Enough to make anyone shudder.

46. Minou, New York City

i hated brussel sprouts all my life...until i tasted some last week after yeas of abstinence. they were tasty! i'm tellin' ya, it's all about the seasoning.

47. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Anderson – And I took you to be such a healthy guy. 😛

48. GRS

It was good to give J.McCain the microphone , I did not get to hear what he had to say . But it would surprise me if he anything very enlightening. He probably vented a little of his pent up anger. some things will never change.

49. mave

Esma, I grew up on Kale...my grandma's kale soup was to die for!

50. Karen C

THree words. Roasted Brussel Sprous. MMMMmmm. Cut in half. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast at 425, turning after 15 minutes. Roast until dark brown. Mmmmmm. I have them almost every night.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13