February 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/23/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ Mike, Syracuse NY

Any government contract is “gravy money” The government always pays too much!

February 23, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  2. gill - north of 49

@allen from canuckville – it's interesting to see Harper (PM) trying to ride the coat tails of President Obama in an attempt to improve his own popularity here at home.. when will he wake up and smell the coffee and admit his ship has already sailed and is long gone already.

February 23, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  3. EJ (USA)

Yeah – I don't get it – about Jindal. If he only has a problem with a small part of it – then why blow everything out of proportion.

He's risking his political star power – as far as the people go. Not necessarily the Republican Party.

February 23, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  4. Jane

I like Michelle Obama's challenge, "its green,..", oh my God, my kids will NOT eat greens, what do I do? Millions of Americans are having to do with whatever they can get from a food bank!!!! Lets worry about this big green issue at an appropriate time.

February 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  5. kim-chicago

Jindal was one republican I kind of liked...but I can't think of a state that needs that money more than Louisiana...It's very unfortunate if this is just political posturing.

February 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  6. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

UGH...I'm so frustrated that so many of you are dissing vegetables. Who among you has children...raise your hands!!???

(I'm telling your mothers!) 🙂

February 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  7. Kathy, NJ

Gergen says that the Prez should give "hope" and not be negative. Obama is hopeful about reducing the deficit by 2013 but Gergen and company says it wouldn't be possible. Who"s being negative now?. Obama is not the "bad news" bearer....it's all these "know-it-all " commentators.

February 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  8. Maren in Oregon

OK. I propose a brussell sprout throw down – recipie submission, independent judges (Anderson, the 360 dancers and Bobby Flay) and the winner gets . . . . .

February 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  9. Steve - southern Illinois

I have a bad cold. I couldn't tell the difference between a brussel sprout and hot fudge sundae right now.

Nice to see you all tonight though!

February 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  10. Cindy

AWW Anderson...broccoli is great man! You have no idea what you are talking about! LOL As skinny as you are I bet you don't eat anything anyways! So we can't rely on your take on veges! LOL Just kidding...

Cindy..Ga.

February 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  11. Kyle

It is irresponsible and the height of political posturing for Gov. Jindal and other Republican governors to refuse federal dollars to help the people of their states. It is unbelievably narcissistic. Guess they'll learn come election time.

February 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  12. Ev

How politically motivated and cold of Jindal to refuse the unemployment funds! Shame on the Republicans and on Jindal who puts his own grab for the Golden Ring in DC above the needs of his constituents in Louisiana! Haven't those folks had enough suffering already?

February 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  13. vanessa from silver spring, MD

@Jasmine, Peas are not disgusting, at least Sweet Peas aren't. That's the only kind of peas I eat.

February 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  14. David Gergen

Hello everyone - Hope you will join us again tomorrow night for the President's big speech. Appreciated your comments tonight about the banks: it is mystifying to me that after month upon month of a crisis in the banking system, we still don't have a clear way to deal with it. Clearly the Obama team inherited an awful mess, but the clock is now ticking loudly on them coming up with some clear answers. Will welcome your thoughts on what that should be.

In the meantime, I must say I have a hard time with brussel sprouts, too - but, Anderson, you really haven't had one since you were 8?

Thanks Lisa and Esma!

February 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  15. Barbara in Boston

What a green blog ... all about vegetables and money. And later you'll have a piece on Clinton and Gore discussing the environment? Green all the way.

February 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  16. Lauren--NY

Ken, spinach is amazing! Now I feel like I have to try brussels sprouts again with all of these cooking suggestions.

February 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  17. starr formerly known as vincent

Gov. Jindal makes me sick...so called principles...he'll take "some" of the stimulus money....truth, he wants to run for President !!

Great piece Candy, as usual.

It seems as if the republicans will never get there heads out of (you know where).

February 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  18. Isabel, Brazil

Apart from peas, green cann't be tasty!
    But when my son eats, I love it! lol

February 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  19. Jennifer - Michigan

One of my favorites is Edamame. My kids love it too – it's packed with protein and it's green!! We love it! Edamame and miso soup is so good!

February 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  20. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Vanessa...it's not salad if it's just lettuce. It's lettuce.

February 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  21. Lauren in Monroe, MI

i'm sure our Gov. Granholm won't be turning down any money. I don't know how i feel about the strings attached. More mandates from the fed gov't makes me uneasy.

Gov. Jindal makes sense. Its not just politics. Its a brave decision to go against the will of the mob in favor of the good of everyone.

February 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  22. Barbara

Oh Anderson, brussel sprouts are little cabbages, lol. Having an Irish mom, I ate a lot of corned beef and cabbage. You just need lots of butter on them.

February 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  23. scott from VA

Who here has been laid off or knows someone that has? I never thought in a million years that i would get laid off at the age of 27? Honestly, I would love to see Anderson do a TV special about the outcome of those who have been laid off, the problems going on with unemployment insurance, and some possible suggestions for those who are looking for work? What is the strategies for looking for a job in a recession? What industry are booming, and what are sinking. How do you start a new career in a recession? I would love to see that show???

February 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  24. Lori from IL

I can just see it now – a little Anderson Cooper sitting at the dinner table staring at his brussel sprouts and shuddering.

Green beans and peas are good - and broccoli is best dipped in batter and deep fried!

Looking forward to the Michelle Obama segment - keep showing them Anderson - she's awesome.

February 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  25. wsb -Bethesda, MD

The "ex-boyfriend" needs to just shut up. I don't see how he has been damaged here and he certainly has no right to demand a paternity test unless he is supporting the children. I don't believe that's the case. He could have stipulated at the time he "donated" that should they break up, his samples would be destroyed...he didn't do that. All he is doing now is making a public case that no one in their right mind should think about dating him.

February 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  26. Esma

Anyone other than me like Kale?

February 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  27. Marc

I have been in mortgage sales for over 10 years. This is going to take a very long time to unwind there were so many loans written between 2002 and 2007 that should never been. All anyone has to do is look at the Pay Option Arms that were sold around and then look at how many heloc's went behind them. I can go on but this is suppose to be short. Also why does everyone look to the Dow when this is only a small snap shot of what most people have invested is it more appropriate to look to the S&P?

February 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  28. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ Rocco

Good evening. You are I believe 9 or 10 hours before me, talking to you from the West Coast of the USA. So you are up bright and early!!!

February 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  29. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

I adore Candy Crowley's jewlery! Envy it actually....

February 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  30. Bridget, TX

Is the presidents speech and Q&A in it's entirety up anywhere?

I can't believe that the sen from Lousiana is turning down money has he bothered to visit his state in the last five years? Who is he serving the GOP party or his constituents? This of course is a rhetorical question.

31. lynn

Jindal is refusing to accept 100 million dollars of the 4 billion his state is receiving. I would hardly call that a "revolution"; more like a political move.

I am sure the unemployed people of his state would have appreciated the extra $100 dollars a month for two tears as would the state's economy.

32. Carol

Anyone remember the days when you could itemize credit card interest on your tax return. Let's go back to those days and I'll bet the interest rate will be forced to go down.

33. Anne C

I'm grateful President Obama is honest with the American people. Our financial system is broke and Wall Street greed is the culprit. Trillions of dollars of wealth has disappeared and major banks are insolvent. We have only two choices–a depression–letting banks fail– or inflation–by gov't spending money on loan or printing it. With trillions of dollars of wealth having vanished, they are betting that printing or getting loaned money won't cause massive inflation and at least with inflation the FDIC has tools (interest rates) to help manage it–unlike with a depression where they can no longer lower rates since they are effectively at zero. I'm pleased President Obama isn't worried about what Wall Street thinks –after all, they got us into this so I really don't feel sorry for their stock losses. I got out last year because even I could see this coming. So there you have it–depression or inflation (which they are hoping they can manage)–you choose–Hobson's choice! Don't fool yourself that this isn't going to hurt–all of us.

34. Mark in Philadelphia

There is no deterent to stop all of these crooks fleecing america. We need to bring back public executions; there is no other deterent to scare these people. Madoff dragged behind a horse through Times Square will make the guy who is planning the next Ponzi scheme think twice.

35. David, Indiana

Hi again Megan, don't think my first comment made it through, I love green food too, cabbage, lettuce, broccoli, beans, brussel sprouts, asparagus...etc

Earle Devaney has a huge job.

Anderson, free drinks on airlines wasn't the only good news. I heard money market mutual funds that were I think part of the bailout are more profitable that thought, worth about a trillion?and that the govt had collect 1 billion dollars in fees from bailing them out, some parts of the bailout are working...

36. Miriam C

I think multi-million dollar companies should be eligible for tax cut. If that money can come to the employers, it will be a great arrangement.
    Like, car park in bigger cities.
    People taking the metra to commute.
    DAY CARE
    Some companies offer "flexible payment" which can be used to buy glasses etc., This is not taxed, but you keep saving a small amount towards it. The problem is, if you dont use it , you loose the money. So people who know they will incur an expense every year , it works well. I think we can give it to parents who need 'infant formula' or even towards day care. There is just so much the companies can do towards employees and reduce on taxes.

37. Vanessa, TX

why would they reject money? It doesn't make sense...sounds pretty dumb..these gov. are playing politics and are not thinking of the ppl that really need it

38. Dianne

Tim Geithner has a huge problem to try & solve. Give him time. Why not look at what has been accomplished, the American Recovery & Reinvestment Act passed & the mortgage crisis initiative. It has only been a month that the new Administration has been in place.

Tim Geithner will get it right, don't rush him.

These problems began in September 2008. And, the American public has had very little transparency on where the $350 Billion TARP One funding went and what it has done to solve the crisis.

The banking system in the U.S. has failed.

It takes time to develop a "Financial Stability Act". Tim Geithner was only confirmed a couple of weeks ago.

Give him time to get it right without pressure from the "chattering class".

39. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@Vanessa...you need to sautee spinach in a little olive oil. I know you'd like it that way.

40. Brandi - bottom of the boot

dont we have a handsome governor! and he is so sweet in person, very friendly and warm.

41. senegalese-girl, Pa

all this talk about food...is making me crave for a TIramisu...my facorite over all foods!

42. andersoncnn

Mike – i think youre on to something with your brocolli conspiracy theory.

43. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Anderson: I was forced to eat brussel sprouts as a kid....eating them is right up there with having to eat liver............just plain yuk! Now that I'm an adult, I just stay clear from them.

44. KarenT

The governors not taking the money can forget about re-election. It is all about politics and obvious they are not thinking of their constituents.

45. Sharon S

Well it depends on WHO you give the money to as to what is considered bad spending?

In my Commonwealth, yes not even a state yet ours will be poor spending!

46. May from Tennessee

Evening Anderson, Erica, David, 360 team and all bloggers! Nice to have Ali on the show...he's great! I was very impressed with the President's Q & A.

February 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  47. Sabrina

Gov. Jindel has 5.5 million people unemployed and a 1.17 billion dollar shortfall. President Obama stated Gov. Jindell can still take 30 million in umemployment benefits without having to change their laws. Notice how all the governors who do not want to take the money is from the poor southern states.

February 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  48. Shillie, Sioux Falls, SD

@ Anne – Expat in Ontario.. last St. Patty's day they still had them, hope so again this year because you're very right, that is one tasty green food/treat

February 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  49. EJ (USA)

I’ve noticed a change in commercials. there was a car company, can’t remember the name, but they were offering to take the car back if the consumer lost their employment a year later. Now they’ve changed it to where they are offering a credit of some sort. Is this the result of people getting smarter about their money? Or, is it more about the auto industry’s poor shape?

That was Hyundai. I didn't know they changed it – I thought I saw a commercial today saying they would still allow a return.

February 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  50. Brian in Minneapolis

For those saying we need to get the economy going and people out spending, that's the wrong thing to do at this time. Spending money we dont' have will only make things worse. We're already 11 trillion in debt, Social Security is going to cost us another 70 trillion by 2040 or so, the feds have promised up to 10 trillion in bailouts .. not to mention what Medicare/Medicaid is going to cost. WHERE are we going to get well over 100 TRILLION dollars in the next 20 to 30 years to pay for all this debt and entitlements?????

February 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |