February 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/23/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jesse

Earlier Ali had a pie chart showing government spending and a large category that appeared to take up around 2/3 was non discretionary spending... i.e. social security, medicare.

What I want to know and haven't seen is what portion of non discretionary spending is spent on interest for our national debt?

February 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  2. elaine

Good evening...Obama has the right message! You touched on the subject during review of Obama's speech. Transparency is the first step, no matter how hard to achieve in the short term, to bring all to understanding the economic mess, as well as finding fiscal solutions to the problems. Transparency can provide Americans greater confidence, that we are moving in the right direction. The danger is not to tip the transparency scale so far right we end up back in a McCarthy period.

February 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  3. Maren in Oregon

If I lived in a state that had a governor who was unwilling to allow the most needful amongst our population – the unemployed – to lose their unemployment benefits, when all around them other states were extending theirs . . . .I'd get rid of that bozo as soon as I could find a ballot box!

February 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Karen McLeod

With the economy getting worse day by day, any idea on how people like my husband and myself who are on SSD and he is also on Vet disability how we will be affected. Also I called my mortgage company and asked about refinincing based on the loan is more than what the valuel of the property as was presented by Pres. Obama's efforts to curtail forclosures.They told me that we didn't qualify because we didn't have a Fannie May or Freddie Mac loan and because we had filed chapter 13 bancruptcy. We had to file chapt. 13 bequse the moblilehome dealership talked us into a $21,000 down payment and then wanted our 6 acres that we owned free and clear. It wasn't because we bought more home than we could afford. We were taken advantage of and now we can't get relief. If we were able to refinance at a lower interest it would certainly help us with a lower payment. I have never understood how a higher interest and thus, higher payment on their home benefits anyone.

February 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  5. Mitchell

The problem with the Mortgage Crisis is the Secondary Market. The mortgages were sold over and over( basically outright fraud).

These toxic MBS (Mortgage Back Securties) were sold all over the (Country )USA and the World via pension funds, etc.

What is very interesting the Banks who created these MBS do have recourse through legal and illegal foreclosures.

In most cases the Banks (Servicer) do not even have the Orginal Notes to intiate a legal foreclosure.

What is even more disturbing is the Investors who invested in these exotic MBS do not even have any recourse because the Investors do not posses the Original Note.

February 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  6. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

You people and your strange food likings! Peas are disgusting Brussel Sprouts are AMAZING and all you have to do is add cheese sauce to any of it and it's instant sweetness. 🙂

February 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  7. Sharon S

Well I know I live in VA that my greedy Governor will take the money to pad his own pockets!

February 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  8. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I must say I do like President Obama's opinion of 'not wasteful'

February 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  9. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Cooper....Did you know you have to try a food three times before you can decide if you like it or not? Come on, Mr. International – it's called a BRUSSEL sprout. What could be more journalist-y than that?

February 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  10. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Lauren, the helicopter started out as a reasonably priced acquisition of an existing copter design. After contract award the secret Service and others demanded many changes that added cost and schedule. It's called requirements creep, and the Pentagon does it all the time.

February 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  11. Manoel Queiroz

About Spinach..the only person in the world who uses it in a Reasonable way was popeye..and was very funny. But in the green subject i love caulli flower...that little thing with salt it's amazing...

February 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  12. vanessa from silver spring, MD

@Erica, Broccoli, peppers, and salad(just lettuce, I hate carrots, cucumbers, croutons, shredded cheese) is good, but definitely not Spinach!

February 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  13. Jennifer - Michigan

Actually, my taste is WAY off center.....Shrug shoulders.

February 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  14. Ivan

What percentage of those home buyers who will be helped by the mortgage bailout plan, are those that have been referred to on your network as,"people who bought above their means and took Las Vegas vacations?" And of course the source of those numbers.

February 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  15. Cessy, Chicago

No brussel sprout for me either. Yuck!

February 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  16. Leslie P from long island ny

Why dont the Governors ask the people in their states if they want the stimulas money? Why not hold special elections and ask the people before they decline???

February 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  17. Jacinth, Florida

Cheney's cave? AC you are so funny!

February 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  18. Glen Up North

Anderson, you are _spot_ _on_ with brussel sprouts. My mom only tried to make us eat them _once_. Egad! No wonder everyone leaves them on their plate at the dinner theatre...

February 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  19. Sharon S

Brussel sprouts are great if you cook them the right way!
    I used to hate them too but once I learned how to cook I only like my cooking now!

February 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  20. Miranda

Mr. Velshi...

Im just curious can we really ever successfully push against the established banks for accountabilty and transparency or is it just a lofty idea?

Thanks
    Miranda

February 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  21. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@Glen...the amount of credit you have has a big impact on your credit scrore. There should be a limit–banks will just keep offering and offering (historically). At times, I've had more than twice as much retail credit available to me as gross income (thanks to greedy banks that don't give a damn about the bigger picture). The system is severly broken. There nees to be much, much more reform than the bill that was just passed atr the end of last year.

February 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  22. J Cooper

Do you really want to see things get moving?????
    Give a $20,000. tax credit to anyone wanting to buy a house. First, second or third property. That would motivate everyone to get off the fence & would do alot to cure our housing problem. Certainly it will help the people who need a Buyer & allow them to hopefully walk away with some cash & let them go on with life. Win/Win. Isn't that a good part of what we all want.? A fair tax break & to get our housing market moving again. Thank you, JC

February 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  23. Bethany-MI

I'm surprised no one mentioned asparagus yet. Def the gold of vegetables. You should try Anderson. Much tastier than peas.

February 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  24. EJ (USA)

I agree about brussel sprouts – The smell of those things are awful. I guess I'm not too big on vegetables. Green beans, corn, carrots – those are ok.

Broccoli is best in chinese dishes with lots of high-calorie tasty sauce...like Hunan beef or chicken.

February 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  25. Brandi - bottom of the boot

@anderson,

i love brussel sprouts! lol they are like mini cabbages! smother them in butter and they are delish!

@EJ and Esma. i think jindal is accepting everything but the unemployment portion. there was something in it that he really didnt like, he is supposedly accepting everything else. he wants nola rebuilt just as bad as everyone else does.

February 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  26. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, Wa

Anderson.....
    I don't like brussel sprouts...... I never taste at all!!!!! No way!

February 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  27. kim-chicago

Anderson...you really need to give those brussel sprouts another chance...I love them. Maybe you need a few new recipes.

February 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  28. Nattada, Houston TX

I love green food, especially raw. Green is good and delicious!!

Anderson, since you were 8!! it's been so long already. Why don't you try again? You might be surprise how it tastes good now. 🙂

February 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  29. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Anderson... try Chinese peas. They are good and very healthy!

February 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  30. Cindy

OK...why does this Octo-dad want a paternity test? So he can make money off of these kids too! He sure probably can't afford to pay child support for them all!!

Cindy...Ga.

February 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  31. Naissa- San Benito, Texas

@Anderson- OMG I hate brussel sprouts! That is the one vegetable that I cannot eat, no matter how much salt or seasoning I put on them. My mom bought what she thought was a bag of frozen peas one day and they turned out to be brussel sprouts (I guess they look the same on the picture?)...anyway, I gave them a try and good heavens....NEVER AGAIN!

February 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  32. Maren in Oregon

@Jasmine in Spokane: Thanks for the reminder about Mardis Gras. I'll be wearing ny Defend New Orleans T-shirt tomorrow. Rock on, NOLA!

February 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  33. Tesa Springer

Writing from Albany Georgia. Just wanted to say that I think President Obama will be pleasently suprised at how America will give of themselves, and we will get the deficit down. He places the money in the hands of people, through cuts and jobs and hopefully there will be a source working along side these benefits to bring confidence to the market. Keep your eyes open for new ideas from the public. Watched Larry and you, Anderson, and appreciate your shows.

February 23, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Vanessa, TX

I love Tom Foreman and his magic wall..do Tom & John fight for the magic wall? lol I love his letters to the pres..they are funny..I wonder if the pres reads them..or even know about them?

February 23, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  35. mave

Hi everyone, had to work late and shuddering cause I checked in just in time to hear they had wasted 78 BILLION dollars...make them eat brussel sprouts!

February 23, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  36. JR Miami, FL

ditto on the brussel sprouts, Anderson.

February 23, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  37. Lisa - Australia

are the banks really going to be accountable how much of the stimulus money will be wasted on administration and double handling?

Anderson and Erica your pictures are both in black and white how classy, sorry Jack I guess you're in real colour, at least you added personal colour to the Oscars coverage.

February 23, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  38. Lisa, Michigan

LOL...could this story get any stranger? You realize you say that every night, Anderson? 🙂

February 23, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  39. Stephen Wilkerson Maryland

Anderson,

Can someone please explain why it was OK to spend 1 trillion, probably more, prosecuting a war in Iraq, 750 Billion bailing out Wall street bankers and now it's wrong to have a 850billion stimulus bill. Can you please hellp me out with this?

Drew

February 23, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  40. Barbara in Boston

Wow. Mr. Devaney sounds like one tough guy for this very tough job and he certainly has the right background! One more example of the President making good choices for his staff.

Also nice to see he's from Beantown.

February 23, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  41. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Finally a president that will explain to us where our money is going! I have been waiting for this for 8 years!

February 23, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  42. Hannah, Pacific Northwest

Just a fun note about the White House Kitchen.....It is MUCH smaller than it appears on TV. In fact, I was quite surprised at how small it really is.

However, I did see it several years ago. I was on a public tour of the White House and because I use a wheelchair I used "alternate" routes to get between floors. Perhaps it's been renovated since then....

February 23, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  43. Aleck

Great to hear there is a new rising star in the republican party too bad he has to come out at the expense of his constituents. The constituents need the money to stimulate jobs and shore up health and unemployment benefits. I think the Governors that refuse the money for their personal careers should be impeached.

February 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  44. Polly, OH

Anderson, our tastes evolve! Maybe you'd like brussel sprouts now. I hated them as a kid, too, but I'm 18 now and love them! Asparagus, too. Mmm!
    But in making the slowww transition into vegetarianism, it's kind of necessary!

February 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  45. Tom

The erosion of confidence David just referred to IS at the core of our economic problems now.
    I believe the partisan resistance we are witnessing is at the base of this erosion.
    Sadly, this partisan resistance creating this lack of confidence could result in such a terrible consumer and market meltdown we are forced to nationalize the major banks, utlimately hurting more than anyone, long time stockholders, many of which are the same individuals fueling this partisan resistance.
    Be careful what you wish for, Mr. Limbaugh and friends.
    TOM in Atlanta

February 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  46. Mike, Syracuse NY

Anderson, I'm convinced that brocholli is an alien plot to turn us into zombies.

February 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  47. Al

If we want to get this economy moving, people would feel a whole lot better if they didn't feel like the banks were ripping them off for years. The turn around should include a "decent" interest rate on savings and credit cards. What happened to competition being good? Why doesn't the "fed provide funds to financial institutions without toxic assets, provide guidelines and let the refinancing begin. The private sector could fix this housing problem in the time it takes to complete a normal escrow period.

February 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  48. Lynne

you have to try brussel sprouts sauteed with garlic and bacon, it may change your opinion! 🙂

February 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  49. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Anderson, I remember trying brussel sprouts for the first time a year or two ago, probably at the urging of my quite southern grandparents.. I thought they had the flavor of a plant with the consistency of mashed potatoes. You can still remember the taste from when you were 8? Must've been traumatic.

February 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  50. EJ (USA)

I don't like peas. They're too mushy. Anderson likes crab cakes too so he likes that mushy smushy food.

February 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |