February 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/23/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Shillie, Sioux Falls, SD

"...but the memory still makes me shudder." haha that's so funny because when I just read have you ever had a brussel sprout? I got that "ick" face, even the word just gives me goosebumps

Fresh green beans on the other hand.. yum!

February 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  2. Kathy, Chicago

yeah! Little Andy is back-thanks Jack Gray. I love green food, also. Even brussel sprouts I also loved Bill Schneider's red suede shoes last night!

February 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  3. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Brussel sprouts are great! You just have to know HOW to use or prepare them! If you lived in CA, you'd appreciate vegetables MUCH more (not to mention what they add to the economy).

February 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  4. Bridget, TX

Dustin, welcome to ac360 blog, it's a great place to come every night and discuss the worlds problems. I love your analogy and agree with the rest:)

February 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  5. senegalese-girl, Pa

can i borrow that magic screen? i have a presentation for my micro class...would have been helpul

February 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  6. Esma

@ Anderson-I love Brussel sprouts, I have since I was a kid. Just don't tell anyone 😉

February 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  7. Lauren--NY

Anderson, I don't like brussels sprouts either but I'm told by sprout enthusiasts it's because I have never had them cooked correctly. I imagine if you smother them in cheese and garlic I will eat them.

February 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  8. lynn

I watched the exchange between Senator McCain and President Obama and it was not a gotcha question...McCain used the example as the corrupt procurement procedures the defense dept. uses. He was smiling and President Obama joked back. Why does everyone have to see a negative??

February 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  9. KarenT

Ok Anderson...brussel sprouts are a perfect example....boil them until they are slightly soft; mash them and put the smallest amount of butter and pepper on them.

February 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  10. Jennifer - Michigan

I like bussel sprouts....???? It taste good to me – but...my taste is a little off center.

February 23, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  11. JR Miami, FL

David, it is so shocking to hear that your credit card company jacked the interest up like that! And a variable rate, too. Bank nationalization may be a good idea if it puts an end to this type of practice.

February 23, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  12. suli

it's time this administration will show true leadership with regards to the financial institutions and make it clear so the private sector investors will have the confident to re-invest in bank stocks and finally stop this unrealistic downfall of stock prices which is a direct result of the vacuum left by this new administration. what required is a direction,confidence and finally some positive outlook.

February 23, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  13. Dodie Ryan from Irvine, CA

@Andi!

I completely agree with you about Wall Street. Not sure exactly how we could change it so there would be... checks and balances but it certainly needs that.

February 23, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  14. adi

eating only vegetables will solve the global warming too.... Erica and Anderson, you r on the right path. This is the best way to make economic and moral gain...

February 23, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  15. Vanessa, TX

wow you don't like veggies, Anderson? they're good for your heart 🙂
    But I'll agree no Brussels sprouts for me either

February 23, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  16. David Harrell

Anderson, Anderson, Anderson... do you ever, ever,ever have someone on your panel who doesn't think the President walks on water. Bergen acts like Obama's press secretary. What about showing both sides of the issue? That's what people need to hear... not just assuming that Obama is going to do everything right. He's just a human being like the rest of us.

February 23, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  17. Maren in Oregon

OMG! Andy, freshly picked brussel sprouts, perfectly steamed, drenched in butter and a little garlic .........MMMMmmmmm! Are you kidding? And, who in their right mind would cook a green pea?

February 23, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, Wa

Hi Erica! I feel so silly that I didn’t blog with y’all! I didn’t even know a blog was going on last night! Grr!

Ohhhhhh Narissa!!!!
    You're so funny!!!!!!! sorry about that!!! Ouch! LOL!

February 23, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  19. Ken in NC

@Erica,
    I agree about the "Green Foods" but you did not have to use profane language like the word, "SPINACH". Hehehehe

February 23, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  20. Anne - Expat in Ontario

Does Mc Donald's still make those Green Milkshakes for St. Patrick's Day?

That's a yummy green food.

21. Cindy

YUCK..brussel sprouts!! SO NASTY!!

I do LOVE broccoli and basically any other green vege though.

Cindy..Ga.

22. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

I've noticed a change in commercials. there was a car company, can't remember the name, but they were offering to take the car back if the consumer lost their employment a year later. Now they've changed it to where they are offering a credit of some sort. Is this the result of people getting smarter about their money? Or, is it more about the auto industry's poor shape?

23. Manoel Queiroz

I tottally agree like Isabel from Brazil says "While The Population doesn't trust the banks again, the situaton will be worse than reasonable." The word now is trust, and while this is away, the situation will get more and more crazy, and more and more people gonna suffer.

24. Robin - Winter Haven,FL

Speaking on the recent criticism that Obama should be giving a more "positive "dialog in his speeches on the economy, I believe that he has spoken directly to this point! He most always includes the fact that America will "bounce back" from this crisis. He says that we must do this "together". Would we rather hear someone say the the economy is sound? (as in recent times..) I, for one admire the President for having the tact and honesty to tell us all the truth, and the confidence to carry out the difficult tasks at hand. My belief in him has not wavered...

25. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Brussel Sprouts? Just the name makes me gag! Though I must admit...I've never actually tried one either!

26. Greg, Austin Tx

AC – sprouts are incredible. They taste like little micro cabbages. Of course if one doesn't like little micro cabbages, sprouts may not be one of your favorite dishes.

27. Zoee - Ontario, Canada

True. Brussel sprouts are AWFUL! haha. I love celery though!

28. Lauren--NY

Is the spending with regard to the helicopter truly wasteful, or is it mostly because of security measures? I think a lot of us are concerned for his security and it makes sense to be concerned, as unfortunate as that may be.

29. Lori from IL

We all know why President Obama is out everyday - he's the one with the high approval rating - trying to build up consumer confidence. Consumer confidence is key in getting our economy moving.

30. Wayne

I like Oboma and appreciate the honesty. I just wish he did'nt give John Macaine a forum to speak. Hey John do the world a favor, go back to Arizona and retire.
    Wayne, Sparks NV

31. Mark in Philadelphia

Greed is the only problem this country faces. Microsoft lays off employees; do you think that Bill Gates and top tier executives in many companies could affored a pay cut to save some jobs? We lock up minorities for stealing a gallon of milk from a convenience store but people like Madoff are living like kings. What this country needs is a civil war, rich vs. poor. There is plenty to go around, the greedy few at the top will never share; has the time come to take it by force?

32. KarenT

Anderson...I didn't much care for green foods growing up but learned as an adult that the reason was mostly the way my mom prepared it. Try different preparations and you just never know....you might like it!

February 23, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  33. SHIRLEY TABER

i have been in local government and i can tell you for the most part I do not believe this stimulus plan is going to help where the people really need it. mandates from the state and federal governments send local county budgets soaring and so the property taxpayers cannot continue to carry the burden. $10 to $25 extra in their paychecks is not going to take care of the problems. Money should be sent to the local governments to use as they need and costly mandates need to be reviewed.

February 23, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  34. rocco

Greetings from hamburg germany... Erica your so sweet.....Guten nacht rocco

February 23, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  35. Barbara

Maybe it is time to let the chips fall where they may in regards to these big banks and Wall street needing bailing out. I mean think about it. If the big banks like Citigroup go under, there will be somebody else that will take their place. If GM goes under, there will be somebody else that will fill the void. I never did agree with bailing out the banks or Wall Street but the GOP under Bush did. Just how much were American's in the dark regarding the economy the last 8 years?

February 23, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  36. vanessa from silver spring, MD

@Anderson, I've never had Brussel Sprouts and I don't plan on ever having them.LOL

February 23, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  37. Kathy, Chicago

David is right about the lack of support. I missed all of my Sunday shows yesterday, but I havn't seen anyone in a couple of weeks talking up anything other than the stimulas.

February 23, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  38. EJ (USA)

Eight is enough it’s so creepy how much she looks like Angelina Jolie

I'm gonna make a controversial statement. I think Nadya is pretty. She probably didn't need to do a nose job as her nose was just fine before – but she's cute either way. Ok I said it.

Also – her lips are not as big as they were before so maybe that was the post-baby lip and face thing.

February 23, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  39. Maren in Oregon

One of the President's problems is that the "old guys" that give him advice are not out there on the talking head circuit – telling us hoew this all works. They are apparently helping him decide what to do, but are all behind the scenes, I like 35 years olds – I have one – but my kid just doesn't have the gravitas needed, and neither do some of the new "kids" on the block in Washington!

February 23, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  40. Alice Hill

Anderson good show I applaud the President’s bold efforts in attempting to cut the deficit. The last administration did not bother.
    I find it interesting and make me feel proud that our President to host a group of people and take questions from all them, he is truly TRYING to work ALL in his efforts.

February 23, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  41. Dodie Ryan from Irvine, CA

@ Erica

Have you ever tried Chinese peas? They are great!

February 23, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  42. scott

After 28 years of republican rule they can't seem to grasp they lost. america is a forgiving nation repubicans don't want us to be a compassionate one

February 23, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  43. Vanessa, TX

Hey Erica..we had fun w/ the live blog yest. thanx for joining us briefly

February 23, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  44. Doyle Peak

The Markets won't improve until they start puting some of the people like matoff and Stanford in jail. Who would you trust with your security?

February 23, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  45. Sabrina

Gergen- new polls are out and the people trust President Obama with the economy over the republicans 60+ to 20%. I hope Geithner will make a better showing next time out, but this guys background is very strong in the financial field and has a history of solving big problems.

February 23, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  46. Mike

Enough with trying to scare the public with nationalization of banks. The FDIC has taken control of twelve failed banks already in 2009. What's the difference with doing the same with the "to big to fail" banks. Nothing. Get it done. Take over the insolvent banks and get this mess behind us. Protect the taxpayer. Not the shareholder.

Cheers

February 23, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  47. Sharon S

I am not going to speak on the Octomom anymore I am just tired of the whole thing! I feel sorry for the babies is all I can say!

She needs help!

February 23, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  48. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

I hate being late. Good evening bloggers!

I wish we would consider the positives of this economic turmoil.

I see a whole generation of our kids growing up with a new found sense of financial responsibility. They will be more sensible, less prone to take on huge amounts of debt or credit, and more relationship or family oriented. I already see people focusing on family and friends because of the lack of disposable income allowing them to constantly seek amusement and entertainment.

What we are experiencing is a great adjustment of our economic system and it WILL result in a positive outcome.

February 23, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  49. dustin, GA

New to the blog. Great show tonight.

Funny how this all reminds me of losing weight. Easy to pack on the pounds (don't watch what you consume, no oversight, little tricks and cheating, etc.) and tough to take it off (starving, watching everything you consume, making hard choices). This has been a long time in the making, a plan has been presented that can be tweaked, and we need positive reinforcement.

Friends and family are now refusing to watch tv given the debbie downer reporters and doom and gloom. We have been here before, we can learn/adapt/create innovative ideas, and we need to given this approach more the 30 days to form and implement. Positive begets positive and know we can demand and create the country we want going forward.

PS I would feel even more confident if we could fired the congress members that were behind the wheel during the binge:)

February 23, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  50. Bridget, TX

I thought Ali and David said last week, the president needs to be positive and stop the negative talk? Tonight it sounds like they want him back to stating the truth, the country is in the pits and there's only a dim light at the end of the tunnel.

February 23, 2009 at 10:29 pm |