February 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/23/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Hello People, what up? Nice picture Anderson. Jack Gray did a nice job last night with hanging out with the Oscars. Wow!

February 23, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  2. Esma

@ Erica–I had too much fun blogging last night, less doom and more zoom!

February 23, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  3. andersoncnn

peas are fine...but have you ever had a brussel sprout? i actually have never tasted one since i was like 8, but the memory still makes me shudder.

February 23, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  4. Lisa, Michigan

Is there a date in which a decision is going to be made on giving the automakers more money now that their plans have been submitted? I live in Michigan and I am really torn on this topic. The money doesn't seem to be helping a bad situation. I happen to think they should have fixed some of these problems 20 years ago.

February 23, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  5. Brandi - bottom of the boot

erica,

i love green foods also, i used to only eat vegetables. i didnt start eating red meat until i was 18. lol

hey megan, chris, isabel, esma, ej!

February 23, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  6. Glen Up North

Mike in Syracuse, here's the rub: how much debt would Obama have needed to put on during the next 4 years had Bush handled his 8 years a little, erm, better?

February 23, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  7. Linda

Enough is enough! The more Obama does the worse things get!
    The public is not for this adminstration! Everybody I talk to is angry about change that Obama has brought.

February 23, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  8. Diana

HI! Anderson and Erica
    I have to say my husband is blessed he has been with the same company for 31 years they have had their ups and downs but they seem to be doing well. We have heard they are getting ready to hire 10 people. My husbands company makes nuclear rods and medical stents. We were going to buy a home a couple years ago but for some reason we never could find the right one. Now that we see it could have been a mistake we are now once again looking for a house the one thing that worries me is we will have about 3.5 to 5% to put down we want to get an FHA loan. I hear from different places most banks want 10 to 20 percent down is that true? His credit score is over 800 and I am a stay at home wife. Thanks have a great night

February 23, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  9. Jennifer - Michigan

Erica,
    That's so funny. I packed sugar snap ;peas for my daughter's snack for school today. It's her favorite.

February 23, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  10. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Hey all sorry i'm late. Loving The President today after hearing him speak at the Summit today. Using the terms Sexy and the joke about not having a helicopter. Funny coming from a President.

February 23, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  11. Lauren--NY

I also love vegetables–have ever since I was a little kid. I was an anomaly, I guess.

Erica, it's getting caught in moderation land, but I've been attempting to say: I ducked out of the family’s Oscar festivities a few times to glance over the live blog and it seemed like everybody had a fun evening, so that’s awesome. Sorry I wasn’t there. The show was fun this year and a welcome respite from current events. Anderson, welcome home–always nice to see you made it back safely.

February 23, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  12. carlos

On Obama's plan to stop the housing market down spin, I agree that away to help the economy is to help those losing their homes. The program to cut the debt of individuals losing their homes will help. However, these owners should not be able to profit from this help by selling their tax-payer subsidized home at a greater price than their "new" home price / loan. If they do sell their home at a higher price, the majority of the gained equity should go to paying back us, the tax payers who kept them from losing their primary home.

~Carlos
    Vista, CA

February 23, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  13. David, Indiana

Hi Chris, hi everyone again I should do a list too, but for now hi everyone

Good discussion by Ali about deficits and debt, that distinction helps me, also good to note citibank stock relative to the market.

Lisa, yes, the markets have been working hard, so maybe there is something to that pt.

I agree good to focus forward on debt legacy that's getting back to budget, federal govt doing things that might help to get to the certainty that Ali is talking about as well as David and Krishna. I think as second part of TARP kicks in that can help plans, bank lending ability, job creation and so consumer confidence firming up

February 23, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, Wa

Hi Erica!!!!
    You’re welcome!!

February 23, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  15. Isabel, Brazil

Hello, Erica!
    Your plate should be colorful and beautiful, then! : )

February 23, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  16. Stacy

David Gergen, what circles are having the erosion of confidence? The public seems very firmly behind Obama and we all know there's often a huge disconnect between those in DC and the rest of America.

17. KarenT

I really think Obama needs to be the voice in the market about the economy and let Geitner use his time figuring this all out. His job is huge right now. There will be time for him to talk about the economy. I think we expect instant gratification and this issue is simply too complicated.

18. Cindy

Gergen.....I think you are sadly mistaken saying that all Americans are behind Obama. You need to tell the truth there!!

Cindy..Ga.

19. Randall Bailey

Who cares what the DOW did today as a complete chart, or for that matter the percent change over eleven years? Why don't you show us a graph of the value of the DOW spread over the last 200 years. That would panic people, not only what is happening now but the run up to this stupid thing that has happened over the last 30 years, especially the last 8.

20. David Phillips from Radford, Virginia

Does anyone believe that the retirement of so many "Baby Boomer" has had an adverse effect on the economy? As a recent retiree, I do not have the same spending habits that I did when I was working full time. I simply don't have the same needs. I feel that I am not alone.

21. Glen Up North

Erica, you bring up a great green food I'd forgotten: sugar snap peas are really tasty. I tried them raw once (of course, in the pod) and was impressed. Thanks for reminding me on that one! 🙂

22. EJ (USA)

Anderson- thanks for telling us about that person speaking in your ear. That was a funny sound you made so it was good to have an explanation – and its good to know you're doing ok.

23. adi

The wallstreet needs to be fixed. The whole idea of indices going down on hearsay is ridiculous. There is something seriously wrong with our basic economic fundamentals.

Change the system so that wallstreet is real.

24. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

"Dick Cheney's private cave" Ha! Anderson, love your analogy of Geithner....so true though!

25. howie

how about a stimulus check that can only be used for a purchase only?

26. Dodie Ryan from Irvine, CA

@ David

I dropped Capitol one a year or so ago because of that. I think that kind of interest rate is like white collar corruption

27. Tony In England

David Gergen and Ali are wrong about the banks. Whats the alternative to the Government putting in money in exchange for shares. You either do this or let them fail and go bankrupt, if that happens share-holders get nothing at all. Existing share-holders can only benefit from the Government bailing them out. I have never brought shares before last month and as interest rates are nothing at all. I decided to buy Royal Bank of Scotland share as I live in England. the British Government bailed then out and now own 68%. I brought shares at 0.10p, and sold them two weeks later for 0.22p. I made $2200 for a stake of $1000. Banks like Citi and Bank of America must come clean and state what there balance sheets show, if not then let them fail and there existing share-holders lose all there money

28. Shillie, Sioux Falls, SD

That's a scary thought that Geithner would be hiding in Dick Cheney's cave, nothing good ever came out of that place

29. John

Anderson...I give President Obama his due for orchestrating social networks, talking transparency and staging Q & A with members of Congress...his openess and fessing up to screw-ups with appointments gives aura of realness...but these matters of style - no matter how masterfully arranged - are not being matched with substance. The AG goes to review Guantanamo, but press is excluded. The Treasury Secretary puts forward a plan that wouldn't draw a C at Wharton School. And the plan to deal with foreclosures addresses the symptoms, not the cause. The honeymoon will come to a devastating end and soon, unless Obama gets tough with his own Democratic leadership in Congress and pushes the development of new career opportunities and not make-work stimulus projects where the salaries disappear when the roads and buildings are built. I think Gergen knows Geitner is in way over his head and wishing him well is acknowledging the obvious - he needs real brain power to help him or he will fail.

30. Vanessa, TX

I'm soo glad my kids love green food..broccoli, spinach, lettuce...they eat it raw, w/ dressing, yogurt too

31. Marci

Anderson - the stock market is really tanking now, and you asked how I feel.

14 years ago we had a baby, bought a house we could afford on one salary, and started saving for that baby's college.

Today, all my responsibility, "money smart" dollar cost averagiing, and following the rules has got me less than I put in and no longer enough to send my child to school in three years.

I feel angry, I feel worried, and all President Obama's doom and gloom and tax increases on families like mine who still have jobs and are responsible will just make me pull back more from the money I am spending. After all, I have to find some way to pay for college now.

February 23, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  32. Crissy

Mr. Anderson thx for showing the presidents clips from today, he's so awesome. I love the first lady, she's so classy and I love how she's all about being positive. Her husband is dodging rocks so he needs someone happy on side.

February 23, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  33. Isabel, Brazil

@EJ
    I like that picture of Anderson, despite his being a typical picture of face of the company badge ... Sorry, AC!

February 23, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  34. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Anderson, Dick Cheney DOES have a cave, but I think he would be using the man sized safe.

February 23, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  35. Sharon S

Hi Erica! I am just lost at this point I watched CNN all day but I just don't see how this is going to help us! I think David is right on target!

February 23, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  36. Wilson

Glad to hear the President doesn't need a new helicopter. The defense department needs a new helicopter like a fish needs a bicycle.

February 23, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  37. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Dick Cheney's private cave? Touche Cooper...Wow....I'm a bit impressed. It's like 'Learn about Cooper' tonight. No green foods, invests stocks, and thinks Cheney lives in a cave...

February 23, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  38. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I tend to agree with David and Ali...it'll be impressive and a miracle if he does actually get that deficit cut in half by 2013!

Erica, the Oscar blog last night was a blast! It made the Oscars so much more interesting! And Anderson threw in some interesting factoids about the Kodak theatre that a lot of us didn't know...it was great! Thanks to Jack Gray for hosting us! And to you and Anderson for joining us!

February 23, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  39. Niyi

I think the Obama govt is doing everything possible it can to make sure the American "Kingdom" dont fall and perish just like the ancient dynasties of the past

February 23, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  40. Allen from canuckville

Obama spent to much time (5hrs) in Canada hanging with the Conservative Prime Minister, all of sudden he talking about cutting the defict.

February 23, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  41. Esther Malkawi, Massillon Ohio

tell the people we are broke and go home and cry. we been broke since 1944

February 23, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  42. EJ (USA)

Hi Erica – We definitely enjoyed blogging last night. Fun times. Fun times.

February 23, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  43. Isabel, Brazil

While the population doesn't trust the banks again, the situation will be much worse than reasonable.

February 23, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  44. Glen Up North

DeeDee, I may be wrong, but I thought credit score was calculated by how _long_ you've maintained a healthy balance (i.e. paying off) on your credit cards, not how much credit you have available to you.

February 23, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  45. Ken in NC

Ali Velshi explains Economy 101 for Dummies so that even McCain could understand the economy so why doesn't listen to Ali. Now that I understand the market better I would not object to seeing Wall street and major banks fail and being taken over and run until they can be turned around and resold to the public. Regulations should be put in place first to prevent any one business being the root of the Market working up and down. More regulations should be in place to prevent stupid bonuses being paid unless a nusiness is showing a "REAL" profit.

February 23, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  46. JamesT

Hi Anderson.

We are experiencing a revolution. What we need are 1100 pages of fair and balanced laws for all americans instead of 1100 pages of stimulus.

This would save 1 trillion dollars. Put the stimulus bill on hold, and freeze forclosures, work with the banks to convert the property owners to renters until the property is sold, and build low cost housing for the families without income.

The root cause: The rich Republicans are selfish and greedy

The Ultra rich, and poor Democats are angry and needy.

February 23, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  47. Lori from IL

Not a big fan of the "green" food myself -

Jack Gray earned his promotion - getting Anderson's picture back on the blog.

@ James 10:14 - I agree completely. Interesting to see everyone saying the plans won't work, but don't offer up anything that will!

February 23, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  48. Dale

how about the president gets a plan together to pay off everyone in the USA's home...if the taxpayers are paying it back, let us get something we need and not another few billion to a bank to party on

February 23, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  49. Rose from NY

McCain's question was legitimate. Americans are being asked to make sacrifices and to trust the government to spend our money wisely. Why shouldn't we expect our President to cut back on wasteful spending as well?

I appreciate the President holding the press conference and encouraging an open exchange. I hope this will continue.

February 23, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  50. Esma

@ EJ about Gov. Jindal: Bad bad bad decision refusing money, remember New Orleans? Yeah, it's still not up and running, never mind that the public school systems are deplorable there.

February 23, 2009 at 10:25 pm |