February 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/23/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Skip the green food, I'll team up with the "Crust Master" any day! Enjoyed your report Erica!

Anderson, you like Huckleberry Hound eh? I always liked Scooby Do myself (not to eat either)! Thanks for the laugh!

February 23, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  2. Nattada, Houston TX

Michele Obama looks so good and did so great being the first lady. I love her smile and sense of humor. President Obama is doing a good job trying to get the country out of this bad situation, too.

February 23, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  3. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Maybe there's Huckleberry Hound IN the Huckleberry Cobbler...Wait, no...that's not right.

February 23, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  4. JacquiChan

Jaoquin Pheonix is my people, a vegan and animal lover. He is a great guy and I think he is going thru some serious crap. I dont think it's an act though I would rather think so. I hope he is okay and gets better soon. See what bein' famous can do to ya

5. starr formerly known as vincent

Goodnight everyone...am looking forward to Pres. Obama's speech to the congress (& us) tomorrow night.

PS Great Picture Anderson

Great blogging , as always

6. Eric walker, Miami fl

Its nice to see a President able to anwser questions in public, rather than on a secure military base where your captivesor audience has to be very restrainded and proper.

7. Glen Up North

CaseyJ, I hear ya: I've seen the same situation with a certain Canadian bank raise both credit line and credit card limits without even being requested. At times, the amount of credit given exceeds what the recipient could ever pay back (if he or she chooses to use it). Insane.

8. KarenT

AnnaW and Mike....also keep in mind that Bush didn't include the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan in the budget.

9. Janine from PA.

To quoye Doc Holliday" I'm your huckleberry!"

10. Sharon S

come to VA you can find huckleburries! yes they grow in the wild!
    And you have to pluck your fingers with briars to get them but well worth the effort!

My grandmother taught me how to get them and make a roll of them!

11. Isabel, Brazil

So cute!

12. vanessa from silver spring, MD

@David, Indiana- What do you mean when you say Spicy String Beans? I cook my String Beans like this. First I put a piece of Bacon in the pot and let that fry for a minute to get the juices flowing, then I add the String beans, with chopped up onions, salt, pepper, and hot sauce with some water and let that cook. MMM. And sometimes I add White Potatoes.

13. Lauren--NY

This conversation has been way too much fun and I do not want it to be over!

Edamame is delicious. I tend to sabotage healthy things with salt, cheese or salad dressing, though.

14. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@Eric..."@ac360 crew I love the show, but would like to see post from you guy’’s answering serious questions rather than responding to food quotes!!"

This is very unusual for the blog. Every once in a while we kinda let go (including the "staff.")

@Jo Ann...YES!!! Something else we have in common–vegetables!!

15. Miranda

It is always nice to see Mrs. Obama and Huckleberry Hound Show on The Cartoon Network.

Have a great night one and all.

Miranda

16. Jennifer - Michigan

I have morel mushrooms growing in my woods next to the house.....They were good – I sauted them in butter and garlic. I look forward to another harvest this year as well.

17. Maren in Oregon

Huckleberries grow wild in Oregon, and are delicious – more delicate than blueberries – although wild blue berries are stimilar in size. They look like little tiny mauve grapes on little tiny stems, and ae really difficult to pick. Bears love them, too.

18. Tracy

I found it hard to watch Obama having a party at the White House when there are people losing their homes and savings. If he wants to cut expenses maybe he should start there. Kind of ironic going on TV today saying the government is going to cut expenses?

February 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  19. Brad

I cant imagine how long it would take me to grow a beard like that guy on the Awards Ceremony last night!

Anderson, why dont you grow one? Haha

February 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  20. Naissa- San Benito, Texas

Whta in heavens name is a Huckleberry?

Michelle Obama is so gorgeous.

Great show AC, Erica, floor crew, David, CNN gang, etc. Goodnight bloggers. Have a great day tomorrow...on my BIRTHDAY! 😀

February 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  21. Dodie from Irvine, CA

I find Michele Obama very innovative! What a refreshing person to have in the white house.

February 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  22. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

If ANYONE would be a healthy eater (especially for a journalist) I would have guessed it to be Cooper. Well, second behind Hill. Way to disappoint, Coop. I bet Bltizer eats his veggies.

February 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  23. lynn

David Gergen: Could you have solved the economic mess in 35 days or accomplished what President Obama has in that time? He has a 68% approval rating (ABC/Washinton Post poll out today which is the same as the Republican's hero, Ronald Regan, at the same time in his presidency.

This is a WORLD wide problem and the markets are also responding to this as well. Patience is a virtue and I am sure when his plan is revealed you and all the other pundits will pick it apart.

February 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  24. Sallie

I have been watching the politics of our country for a while, and have never seen a President so scrutinized, and watched so closely and a day to day accountability for circumstances in this economy that is not his fault. After 9/11, our them President Bush was not watched so and daily scrutinized by the American people or the media. What's up with that? Why can't the media give our new President a break? Can't we just wait and get a report at the end of the first 100 days? Come on!

February 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  25. Clarence

resumes and recipes and hucksters ..... who pays for it all?

February 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  26. Leslie

Consumers are afraid to buy stuff because we're afraid that we'll lose our job, or that we've not been saving enough. But there's all this stuff out there, in stores and warehouses and factory floors, being made but not being bought. The government is the only entity willing to buy anything. Those who are using up all the oxygen on cable TV complaining about small portions of the stimulus, are distracting us from the big picture. Look, we are going to be OK. This is the greatest country in the world, and we will pull through this. Mr. Gergen, all these problems can't be solved in the one month Pres. Obama has been in office. It took 10 years to get here, it's not going to be solved in two weeks, but we will make it through.

27. Jim,California

Guys, if you read your History- Banks Loan Money until you are in over your head, They do this on purpose. then they foreclose , then resell & make even more money.
    Nothing has changed in the last 140 years . Try doing research on
    " Ralston's Ring"- San Fransisco was Built buy the Bank from the profits they got after they foreclosed on the Mines & mills of the Comstock. They Controlled the Mines, Mills, Lumber, Transportation & all the transactions went through the Bank of California.

28. Lauren--NY

Isabel and Minou–ITA. George Clooney is a fantastic individual.

Erica, you look dynamite this evening! <3

29. Minou, New York City

I love Ben Stiller. He does a great Tom Cruise!

30. JamesT

Hi Anderson, My fiirst blog. Thanks for making it so easy to finally have my voice heard .

31. Ken in NC

Erica you and Anderson have fun working. That is good.

32. JacquiChan

I am a vegetarian (close to vegan) and I have been this way since I was pretty young but for along time I got by on mostly carbs with little variety but now I will eat almost anything as long as it didn't come from an animal. I love Thai food they have may vegetable dishes.

Anyone on here like mixed salad with cranberries and siced walnuts?that's my new thing; think I will have it when we are done blogging

33. JR Miami, FL

Go for the colorful vegs – tomatos, carrots, squash, peppers.

It is great to see you blogging with us Anderson, Erca, and David.

34. Shillie, Sioux Falls, SD

Anderson, nice work on the Homer Simpson "doh!" there, great Monday show, wonderful start to the week!

BTW, Michelle Obama looked fabulous in that clip!

35. Esma

@Ashley-you rock as always that "journalist-y" comment was classic!!!

36. Mark in Philadelphia

This isn't the food network; enough about the vegetables! Just eat a cheesesteak and then pop a vitamin and you'll live to be 100!

37. Isabel, Brazil

The deposits at Citi have the government guarantee and even then their actions are still in fall. Turn into dust.

38. David, Brooklyn

What's all this talk of brussel sprouts?

39. Isabell, Indiana

Anderson, does your dog like green vegetables? My dogs love steamed vegetables, especially broccoli and cauliflower.

February 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  40. Eric walker, Miami fl

Can someone tell me why the Government always settles lawsuites against large Corporations when they have all the evidence against them(ie.. CountryWide, UBS, Health South)? The Company pays record fines and the ones doing the dirty work walks away with the money!

February 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  41. Brandi - bottom of the boot

i dont think jindal is doing this for political reasons. the state is already in debt. he has done a lot to improve this state. he is very sincere.

February 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, Wa

I love First Lady Michelle's Kitchen. it is great food,I love to cook myself!
    Thanks Erica!

February 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  43. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I wish I was at that Governer's dinner yesterday. I love Earth, Wind, & Fire.

February 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  44. Sharon S

Anderson Cooper, don't you forget to Thank Jack Gray for getting your little picture back for you!

It really does wonders for the blog!

February 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  45. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@Vanessa...throw some sun-dried tomatoes in the pan and a little seasoned salt (or spices). I have this for lunch frequently.

AC, I have to say I'm surprised at you. Especially because it's clear you workout. You MUST have vegetables in you for proper absorption of any protein you eat (or dink) as well. Your trainer hasn't told you that? (Well, I AM laughing at all this anyway.)

February 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  46. Lori from IL

Love the fact that George Clooney uses his celebrity for the Darfur cause. I could watch that face all night long - and his sense of humor rivals Jack Gray!

February 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  47. Maren in Oregon

Wow! Another shot of that dress, please!

February 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  48. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Spinach! That is the best topping on a pizza, and a tuna sandwich, and almost anything.

February 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  49. Minou, New York City

Anyone ever tried a wheatgrass drink? It's disgusting!

February 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  50. Tom, Idaho

Governors looking at refusing funding. Seems to me that legislatures could change the unemployment laws and make them have sunset provisions just like many of the other laws that have been done. They can change laws just as easy as they can make them.
    I live in a state where our governor has said he does not want the stimulus because that would expand programs and boost the state's costs in future years when the federal dollars disappear. Seems to me this can be easily resolved if you communicate with the taxpayers up front (like Obama) and make it clear that this will not be available once this financial crisis is over. This is just an excuse to oppose the package and get the spotlight to shine on them!

February 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |