February 23rd, 2009

George W. Bush makes "surprise" visit at Elliott's Hardware

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/02/23/art.bush.elliots.hardware1.jpg caption="George W. Bush with an Elliott's Hardware shirt with the "W" nametag."]

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/02/23/art.bush.elliotts.hardware2.jpg caption="George W. Bush shakes hands with Greeter Henry Long."]

Ed Lavandera | BIO
CNN Correspondent

A few weeks ago I filed a funny blog about a popular Dallas hardware store - Elliott's Hardware - that offered George W. Bush a job as greeter. Elliott’s Hardware is a Dallas institution and just a few miles away from President Bush’s Dallas home.

Well, the former pres made a "surprise" visit there on Saturday.

1. Ed

I notice he's still wearing his POTUS jacket... I guess he hasn't faced reality yet.

February 24, 2009 at 12:02 am |
  2. Isabel, Brazil

Former President Bush,

FYI:

In time of stress, in the computer:
    hardware is that we kicked and
    software is what we cursed!

February 23, 2009 at 7:20 pm |
  3. Maleeta

Shawn, I hope your President Obama will sponsor some educational training that you will take advantage of–like capitalizing proper nouns, and using plurals. Oh, I hopeyou will also learn how to write a sentence that is grammatically correct.

February 23, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  4. Joan

It is once again shows how out of touch Bush was and is with the troubles of the people of United States.

Joking about asking for a job when millions have lost theirs and there is more to come... is just another example of why we are in this sorry state.

February 23, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  5. Susan

Go for it, Mr. President! I wish I'd been there to meet you– and shake your hand for keeping me and my family safe since 9/11. Shawn from NY– you can have "your president". He'll need to turn everything he touches into gold, to pay for his stimulus package.

February 23, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  6. annemorton

The frustrating thing is that Bush is so clueless and carefree in regards to the pain he has caused for this whole country and the global economy just so he and his buddy's could have their oil.

February 23, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  7. Jayson-Arkansas

Mr. Bush was a really good President and Burris, Obama and his Attorney General will ruin our economy for sure! NAFTA has cost this country half of our jobs and the eroding credit situation and greed are hurting the economy but the Democrats will cost us even more with their socialist views.

February 23, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  8. Isabel, Brazil

Former President George W. Bush, now is following the style of President Obama, acting so sympathetic and popular ...

Is to see to believe!

February 23, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  9. Jordan Reagan

Aaawww, well I hope he got the job!

February 23, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  10. Nick

Isn't W a little underqualified for that gig? I guess they can't be too choosy at that hardware store.

February 23, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  11. Charlotte D

A hardware store in Texas may be one of the few places left where Bush would be greeted warmly. I wonder if he asked anyone if enough time has passed for his "legacy" to improve?

February 23, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  12. shawn

Next week Elliott’s Hardware will be foiling bankrupt everthing bush touch fail, not like my president obama anything he touch turn gold!!

SHAWN , NY

February 23, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  13. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

I'm sure Mr. Elliot is experiencing enough economic difficulties with the economy-–he doesn't need to add more with a "greeter."

February 23, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  14. Michael "c" Lorton, Virginia

I' sure that Elliot's Hardware store is feeling the "pinch of difficult economic times,"---he doesn't need to add more.

February 23, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  15. Annie Kate

Well Ed – did GW get the job as greeter? Bush doesn't look like he's missing the white house too much!

February 23, 2009 at 11:34 am |