February 21st, 2009

The Academy Awards Live Blog

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/02/20/art.liveblog.oscars.jpg]

Jack Gray
AC360 Producer/Writer

Good evening and welcome to the AC360 Academy Awards Live Blog. The winners, the losers, Jack Nicholson’s sunglasses…we’ve got your running commentary.  And sure, considering all that’s going on in the world, the Oscars aren’t hugely important.  But if you’re looking to get away from the bleak news-of-the-day for a few hours, then this blog is the place for you.

We should also point out that we’re not encouraging you to change the channel from CNN, but if you’re going to watch the Oscars anyway, you might as well watch them with us.

And even if you’re not watching them, because of your feud with Kate Winslet or whatever, we think you’ll still enjoy the live blog. I’ll be with you from 8:00pm Eastern Time until the Oscars finish airing here in New York.

If you would like to participate in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Please keep your comments short
2) Don’t write in ALL CAPS (we don’t like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Please note that due to volume we may not be able to post all comments.

Follow Jack Gray on Twitter

Filed under: Academy Awards • Jack Gray • Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,677 Responses)
  1. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I'm gonna have to agree Jack, Heath Ledger is going to win for best supporting actor...its a bit difficult to compete with the possibility of a post-humus award

February 22, 2009 at 8:12 pm |
  2. Gisselle, TX

Hi Jack Gray!

Great to be hanging out with you and the crew...Red Carpet is on, hope no one bought their diamonds with bailout money, yikes!

February 22, 2009 at 8:11 pm |
  3. Esma

Jack, if Heath Ledger doesn't win, I'm starting my own one-woman riot. Don't worry, I'll send an iReport.

February 22, 2009 at 8:11 pm |
  4. Michelle , Fonthill, Ontario

The presenters are being kept secret i wonder it Jennifer Aniston will bump into Brangelina on the red carpet. BTW Jack say hi to AC and Erica for me too

February 22, 2009 at 8:11 pm |
  5. Vanessa, TX

pretty good predictions, jack..I actually haven't seen them all..or any..but i wish them all good luck

February 22, 2009 at 8:11 pm |
  6. Shillie, Sioux Falls, SD

Guess you and Sammy will have to lay down the law for Erica and Anderson tonight... set them straight Jack

February 22, 2009 at 8:11 pm |
  7. Isabel, Brazil

Hi, Megan!
    Im glad to see you here

February 22, 2009 at 8:11 pm |
  8. Stacy

I hope Heath wins, though it'll be bittersweet.

February 22, 2009 at 8:10 pm |
  9. EJ (USA)

How long is this red carpet thing supposed to last? When do they start with the actual awards?

February 22, 2009 at 8:10 pm |
  10. Pati Mc

@ Stacy – me too! Yikes. He is dishy and those hip movements. I think Barbara was actually taken aback. Me, I would have gone for it. Hee hee. J/K...

February 22, 2009 at 8:10 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, Wa

@ Hellooo Michelle,
    What surprise!!!!! I am so happy to see you tonight.... How are you been?

February 22, 2009 at 8:10 pm |
  12. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Anderson probably wanted to escape before the party started...he doesn't seem to be the Oscar going, party all night type

February 22, 2009 at 8:09 pm |
  13. Anthony Guiliano

Hey Jack , I'm glad that I'm not the only one that dress's up at home watching the Oscars.

February 22, 2009 at 8:09 pm |
  14. Jack Gray

The supporting actor/actresses Oscars are the first big awards given out. Here are my choices:
    Supporting actor – my choice: Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight…who I think will win: Heath Ledger
    Supporting actress – my choice: Penelope Cruz for Vicky Cristina Barcelona…who I think will win: Taraji P. Henson for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

February 22, 2009 at 8:09 pm |
  15. Michelle , Fonthill, Ontario

They trashed your apartment how rude Anderson problobly wanted to pay you back for rumaging through his office

February 22, 2009 at 8:09 pm |
  16. Esma

Hey, everyone...Jack and all of the bloggaz. I am wearing Cotton, awaiting the lap dance of the century.

February 22, 2009 at 8:08 pm |
  17. Stacy

@Pati Mc: I'm wondering how Hugh is going to top that. The show hasn't even started yet! That's an image that's going to be stuck in my head for a while.

February 22, 2009 at 8:08 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, Wa

Oh Jack!!! That is so great for Anderson and Erica to visit your apt tonight.... Please tell them helloooo them for me. 😀

February 22, 2009 at 8:08 pm |
  19. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Well, Jack, if you are going for "Sexiest Man Alive", then, I would suggest you dance to "Single Ladies" sometime soon on an upcoming webcast...........that ought to do it! 😯

February 22, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  20. Pati Mc

Hi Michelle !!!!

Aw, Anderson came home before the party? Poor guy. Actually what am I saying? We all know he hates parties. LOL. It's Okay Anderson, I am usually in the kitchen alone too. 🙂

February 22, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  21. Michelle , Fonthill, Ontario

Hi Megan nice to blog with you tonight yeah ! Anderson is back cool I guess he didn't want to party wiith the stars tonight

February 22, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  22. Bonnie

Hugh gave BW a lap dance? Man. . . . I missed it!!

February 22, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  23. Vanessa, TX

aww..brangelina! so did you like the movie jack, curious case? should I spend the $10?

February 22, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  24. Stacy

Who are you wearing, Jack?! Who are you wearing?

February 22, 2009 at 8:06 pm |
  25. Isabel, Brazil

Brad Pitt to me hasn't win. As my brother said: he can't want everything in life ... Lol ... Is married to Angelina Jolie, has all the children of the world ... Lol ...

February 22, 2009 at 8:06 pm |
  26. Michelle , Fonthill, Ontario

Fleeece tuxedo nothing like a sharp dressed man Jack rock on!

February 22, 2009 at 8:06 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, Wa

Guess what we are live right now west coast at 5 pm pt right now.

February 22, 2009 at 8:05 pm |
  28. Anthony Guiliano

Good Evening Everyone, I can't wait for the show to start.

February 22, 2009 at 8:05 pm |
  29. Jack Gray

I am expecting Anderson and Erica to drop by. Anderson is back in New York, watching the Oscars on television like everyone else. They both wanted to come over and watch with me at my apartment, but last time they came over my place got trashed.

February 22, 2009 at 8:05 pm |
  30. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

However, Mickey Rourke's interview with Barbara Walters was very endearing. I hope he wins tonight. Feel sorry for him, he had to put to sleep his dog this week. 🙁

February 22, 2009 at 8:05 pm |
  31. Pati Mc

Jack, you are right, you are so stylin' ! I am sporting Coffee Cafe flannel. And drinking scotch...Elaine Strtch is my heroine.

February 22, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  32. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good evening Jack and fellow Oscar bloggers!

February 22, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  33. Shillie, Sioux Falls, SD

Good Evening Jack, don't worry I'm sure you'll get sexiest man alive next year and then Hugh Jackman can go home and cry. Until then we're all here to support you.

They said earlier on E! that Hugh wasn't even nervous when they spoke to him, how is that possible?

February 22, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  34. Michelle , Fonthill, Ontario

Hi Pati I loved Natalie Portman 's fushia purple dress as well as SJP
    she's a true fashionista

February 22, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  35. Isabel, Brazil

Hi, Jack!
    Nice to meet you.

Hi, AC360 team and bloggers!
    Evening for everyone!

February 22, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  36. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Hey Bloggers. I missed the Barbara Walters Speical. I'm so mad about it. But I turned to ABC just in time to see the lap dance from Hugh Jackman. AHH I wish I was Barbara at that moment. He is so yummy! I hope he does a great job tonight. I hope Taraji P. Henson wins. I also hope, even though it's a longshot, that Frost Nixon wins.

February 22, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  37. Vanessa, TX

Sweet tux, Jack...rocking the Sammy tux, now? I love Amy Adams dress..she looks so cute

February 22, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, Wa

Hellooo Jack and best bloggers!
    I am so exciting to be here at Oscars awards!!
    Jack,
    Hugh is my favorite actor. he is so handsome man! 🙂

February 22, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  39. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hi Jack: Glad to join you tonight.

I agree with Stacy...Hugh Jackman giving Barbara Walters a lap dance...oh my!

February 22, 2009 at 8:03 pm |
  40. Jack Gray

The people on the red carpet look good. But I don't think any of them can match the fleece tuxedo that I'm currently rocking at my apartment.

February 22, 2009 at 8:02 pm |
  41. Michelle

I think Hugh will do a great job. Movies seem to
    be a great source of entertainment these days.
    Maybe it is a great way to forget things for a
    couple of hours.

February 22, 2009 at 8:02 pm |
  42. Michelle , Fonthill, Ontario

Hey Jack I;m sure Hugh Jackman wil do a fine job the sexist man alive
    I'm sorry Jack don't cry you and AC give that Hugh a run for his money

February 22, 2009 at 8:02 pm |
  43. Pati Mc

Oh come on Jack, Hugh Jackman does not have a blog. Chin up.

@ Stacy – I agree on the lap dance. LOL

February 22, 2009 at 8:02 pm |
  44. Vanessa, TX

hey jack who are you excited to see on the red carpet?

February 22, 2009 at 8:01 pm |
  45. Roweena D'Souza, Mangalore

Hiya Jack, glad to be here at the live blog with you...

February 22, 2009 at 8:00 pm |
  46. Pati Mc

Happy Oscar Night Gang! and lets not forget The Host with the Most...Mr. Gray...(and his sidekick Sammy)...

Wow, this is exciting so far. There are so many great people in amazing coture! Have to say so far I am loving Sarah Jessica Parker's glorious Dior Haute Coture gown as well as Anne Hathaway's. Gorgeous! And the jewelry??? Aaahhhh...I am such a girl...Pfff...

Kudos Jack, for seeing ALL of the films nominated. Wow, that is impressive. We will look to you as our expert.

February 22, 2009 at 8:00 pm |
  47. Michelle , Fonthill, Ontario

Hello Jack Great to have this blog again .The oscars are so much fun to watch . The stars are looking good tonight .The glamour is in full force hope Sammy is in full formal oscar wear !-ha

February 22, 2009 at 8:00 pm |
  48. Vanessa, TX

Hey Jack...OOH I'm sooo excited about the blog..have you made your predictions about tonight, Jack? So did you like the "Curios Case of Benjamin Button"? I was contemplating seeing last night and opted for "Fired Up"...very funny by the way

February 22, 2009 at 7:58 pm |
  49. Stacy

Hi Jack and bloggers.

Barbara Walters. Hugh Jackman. Lap dance. Oh my God. That's all I have to say.

February 22, 2009 at 7:58 pm |
  50. Jack Gray

Hi everyone…it’s a big night for Hugh Jackman. How do you think he’ll do? He lives in my neighborhood. Whenever I see him he’s all like “Jack, sorry I got Sexiest Man Alive and you didn’t.” And I’m all like “that’s OK, Hugh Jackman.” And then I go home and cry.

February 22, 2009 at 7:58 pm |