February 20th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/20/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Michael

Hi everyone
    I dont know about this plan-it might boost the economy just a bit, but in the long run the ones who are going to suffer and be stuck with this debt is out kids and grandkids! Besides the previous bailout and stimulus did not do anything, if anything made the situation worst 😦

February 20, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  2. Lauren--NY

Sabrina, good point.

Evening, Erica! Oscar weekend should be fun and a welcome morale booster.

If we nationalize the banks, is that temporary or is there no turning back from that? Uncharted waters indeed.

February 20, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  3. eric walker, miami fl

If a bank is to big to fail because it will bring down the economy of country it should be Nationalized. The bad Mortgages should be renogiated and allow the bank to take the loss. Break up Big bank and sell for a profit later down the road. Let the Government install the board and let bankers run the bank

February 20, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  4. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

I don't understand why people aren't buying more stocks in companies that have their values declining. As long as they stay in business, everyone should buy more shares to equal what they were paying before this economic mess happened. then as values increase, rationalize your amount of stock to it's orginal worth.

February 20, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  5. Carrie Bradshaw

So federalizing the banks means that the government runs the banks and pays. Does that sound like a good idea? What makes them think that the government can run a bank? That scares me...

February 20, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  6. Esma

What's happening with the banks is dreadful, though I'm not sure if nationalization is the best route, but I also don't want to keep hearing stories of how these banks are not being prudent with their bailout funds.

February 20, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  7. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Good Evening everyone.

Thank you... Thank you Clark Howard!

February 20, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  8. Renee

BAC closed at 3.79 today. Citigroup closed at 1.95 today.

February 20, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  9. angela

my account with BAC is in very good standing and my credit line is very high. If the bak were to be nationalized what would happen to credit lines in terms of adjustments

February 20, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  10. Janine from PA.

Good evening & TGIF:
    My mattress is looking better and better as a safe and secure bank.

February 20, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  11. Maureen, Georgia

I agree with Clark Howard.

February 20, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  12. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good evening Anderson, Erica and everyone! Hope everyone had a great day! I'm not sure nationalization of our banks is a good idea....I tend to agree with David Gergen it should be absolutely the last resort!

February 20, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  13. Cindy

They need to do something for the banking system. I don't know if nationalizing will work but hey they need to try something.

Cindy..Ga.

February 20, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  14. Sabrina

Gergen-When you say private capital and public capital for these banks,are you talking about another bank bailout?

February 20, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  15. Isabel, Brazil

The nationalization is no guarantee of productive efficiency in the company’s poor financial situation; it may no contain the crisis; it can no provide resources to State; and finally can no improve the service to the public when dealing with service companies.

February 20, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  16. Dorothy-CA

Hi Anderson and all Bloggers

Makes me want to go get my money and put it under my mattress!
    Isn't what they used to do in days of old? Wow – just too much going on.

February 20, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  17. Fay - California

It's good to see The President laying down the law to the mayor's and giving Americans an opportunity to see how our money is being spent.

February 20, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  18. Bea

@Sabrina: The southern governors continue to be elected because they cater to the larger cities which have large populations. The poor and minorities are in more rural areas. But remember, Obama lost SC by only 10% which is stunning really if you know the history. He lost Georgia by 5 or 6%. Already the mayor of Charleston has told Sanford he should take that money. So Sandford may try to take for the cities and turn down for the democratic and minority areas. That's why Clyburn had the bill include a clause that allows the legislature to overturn the governor.

February 20, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  19. Dulcie - Denver

I forgot to greet everyone – Anderson, Erica, David Gergen and all the Best Bloggers!

I think that President Obama is just trying to be realistic. Expectations have been so high, they really needed to be brought to earth. It's sad, but if he's not honest, he'll get hammered later. I think everyone needs to take the situation seriously and stop in-fighting and partisanship. The GOP needs to suck it up and stop hoping for this administration's failure.

February 20, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  20. Clarence

Nationalizing the banks... wow... Zombies... the walking dead? What does bailing them out mean? Are the bank execs at least getting the idea that they cannot keep living high off the hog... especially at the publics expense?

February 20, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  21. Renee

What nationalization of banks means is that stock holders will be wiped out - 401 K's down another 25% or more.

February 20, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  22. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Thank you Clark Howard!

Finally someone can see this clearly

February 20, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  23. Lori from IL

Happy Friday to Anderson, Erica, 360 Crew and Fellow Bloggers -

Nationalization of the banks? - If the govt. nationalizes the banks, would it be individual banks (those in trouble) or all banks? Not clear how this works. My bank is locally owned and in sound financial condition, but obviously many banks are in trouble.

February 20, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  24. Michelle

Yes nationalize the banks and overhaul
    the entire banking system. It is broken and
    needs fixing big time.

February 20, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  25. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Ed Henry says that the administration needs to illustrate confidence for the American people, we don't really need that, we need information about the plans the administration is coming up with. We don't want to be in the dark.

February 20, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  26. CaseyJ - Novato, CA

I wonder if any of the dollars will find its' way to small communities. not just large metropolitan areas.

February 20, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  27. Cindy

Evening Anderson and all.

I like Clarke Howard. I wish you'd have him on more.

Cindy..Ga.

February 20, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  28. Maureen, Georgia

Hi Anderson, AC360 team & all bloggers. The banks were already given a bailout and no one saw any of the money except the ceo's, they didn't help any of the home owners or gave out any loans.

February 20, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  29. starr formerly known as vincent

Hi everybody...looking forward to a great show as always,

hello fellow bloggers too! TGIF

February 20, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  30. Isabel, Brazil

Hello, Erica!!
    How many news today!

February 20, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  31. Maureen, Georgia

Hi Anderson, AC360 team & all bloggers. The banks were already iven a bailout and no one saw any of the money except the ceo's, they didn't help any of the home owners or gave out any loans.

February 20, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  32. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Erica, I need a laugh this wknd, so i'm going to see Madea Goes to Jail tomorrow. Can't wait to laugh!

February 20, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  33. Carrie Bradshaw

Happy Birthday to you Mom, Anderson. She is such a gifted lady. And by the way, congrats on your award. Well deserved.

February 20, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  34. CaseyJ - Novato, CA

It simply doesn't make sense to refuse funds. What's done is done. Why make your community suffer because your a Republican?

February 20, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  35. ericacnn

Happy Friday, everyone! TGIF indeed, Bea. I hope you all have great weekends planned

February 20, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Bea

In SC cities and towns were told to submit their wish lists for the stimulus. Now Sanford claims he's going to turn it down? CNN should get those lists and see how bad off some areas are in SC!

February 20, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Who is Dodd trying to kid, the government never does anything for just a "short time." Once it starts they will never be able to go back.

February 20, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  38. Maren in Oregon

Good evening, Anderson. Silver Falls Bank is just up the road! Wow! There are a lot of small banks which opened up in the last few years. Looks like they’re not very well capitalized. Most of them relied on mortgage business – ooops!

February 20, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  39. Sabrina

SC Governor, Mark Sanford has the third highest unemployment rate in the nation but yet he may turn down the stimulus. It’s just politics for these people and it amazes me how they continue to get elected. I wish the media would mention these horrific numbers in these Southern Governors states and ask them to explain why they would turn down federal aid and call themselves moral individuals. Not to mention Gov. Jindel turning down 90 million in unemployment benefits for his state.

February 20, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  40. EJ (USA)

Hi Megan

February 20, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  41. CaseyJ - Novato, CA

Good evening bloggers! My family banished me to a bedroom only to find I couldn't p/u a wireless connection. I'm watching on my Sprint phone in another corner of the house. Whew! (P.S. I also changed a dinner date to one hour later, so I could blog with you!!)

February 20, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Good evening everyone! ❤ Happy Friday!

February 20, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  43. EJ (USA)

Who is Clarke Howard?

February 20, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Clarence

Sorry to hear about the struggles in Silver Falls, I lived in Mt Angel years back. Best wishes to those communities.

February 20, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Dulcie - Denver

I don't think that it's a good think, but I'm not sure what else could be done other than nationalization of the troubled badly.

What a week.

February 20, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Bea

Hello everyone. TGIF!

February 20, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Isabel, Brazil

The nationalization of banks is dangerous and can swell the public coffers.

February 20, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Cindy

Evening Anderson and all!

Clarke Howard is going to be on...COOL!! I like him a lot!! I hope that you have him on way more!

Cindy...Ga.

February 20, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Isabel, Brazil

Hello, Anderson,
    I’m glad to see you!
    How many news today!

Hi, AC360 team and bloggers!
    Hi, Megan!

Evening for everyone!

Nationalization of banks ... I'm afraid of that!
    Is not a guarantee of improvement of the situation.

February 20, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Carrie Bradshaw

Hey Anderson, Erica, awesome bloggers, Fabulous Floor Crew, Jack.....Happy Friday!

So if the banks are federalized, does the same go for credit unions?

Visited my freinds at Saturn today – they are really scared for their jobs.

February 20, 2009 at 10:00 pm |