February 20th, 2009

All she wanted was a soda...

Update: The suspect has surrendered to police and has been charged with four felony counts. Read more for details.

Gabriel Falcon
AC360° Writer

All she wanted was a soda. Now she’s fighting for her life.

An 11-year-old girl from Alabama is in critical condition after drinking acid police say was contained in a bottle of Sprite. Investigators believe the child’s 42-year-old cousin was operating a “shake and bake” meth lab in a trailer on the family’s property.

The girl was playing Monday afternoon, noticed the bottle and took a sip of the toxic solution. Detective Charles Plitt of the Weaver Police Department tells us it's one of the worst cases he’s ever seen.

Bathtub crank, pink elephants, soap dope, sparkle and trash: these are just some of the dozens of street terms for methamphetamine. It is a potent drug and a very popular one. A 2004 government survey reported nearly 12-million Americans snort, smoke, shoot up, or swallow the stimulant.

Kids are also getting hooked at a staggering rate. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 2005 found 6.2% of high school students said they had used meth. Just think of the numbers.

The rush is immediate and the high often lasts for hours. But the cost is usually catastrophic. Lives are destroyed, or lost. This “poor man’s cocaine” has been shown to cause psychosis, paranoia, high fevers, strokes, permanent brain damage, and heart attacks.

There are many different “recipes” to make meth. And many places to cook it up. Clandestine labs dot the country. In 2007, the Drug and Enforcement Agency listed nearly 6,000 methamphetamine laboratory incidents. Missouri recorded the most incidents – 1,268 in 2007. But the homegrown drug factories are hard to detect.

Sometimes, it takes a horrific tragedy to uncover them. Such is the sad case out of Weaver.

The girl who drank the acid is in the hospital. The family hopes she survives. “If she lives,” the Anniston Star newspaper says, “she will spend the rest of her life with an IV or feeding tube.” Police say her cousin,

Wayne Thurman Tubbs, was running at least 6 meth labs. After surrendering to police Thursday night, he was charged with four felonies: two counts of unlawful manufacturing of a controlled substance, chemical endangerment of a child, and assault in the first degree.

Tubbs had not pled in the case as of Friday evening, police said. He was being held without the option of bail until a March 30 preliminary hearing.

Detective Plitt says Tubbs, the girl's 42-year-old cousin, appeared upset that about the girl’s hospitalization.

To give you an idea of the extent of this drug epidemic, when authorities were looking for Tubbs, they went to another home – in addition to the property where Tubbs lived and the girl was found ill – only to discover a meth lab there as well.

So the man who allegedly filled a Sprite bottle with acid used to make methamphetamine is behind bars. But the girl who tried to drink that Sprite remains in critical condition.

Filed under: Crime & Punishment • Gabe Falcon
  1. Proud American

Meth labs are worst than the crack dealers in the 80's. Why won't law makers in Washington create laws that put these Idiots away who run these labs. My heart and prayers go out to this little girl.

February 21, 2009 at 12:25 am |
  2. Shannon

And also, this man (her cousin) probably isn't in this for profit. Most people who cook meth are using most of it themselves and give some to those who help collect the ingredients it takes to make it. They hoard it and use it like crazy. I doubt he was making money, just feeding his own evil addiction. Getting more meth is all that meth addicts think about.

February 20, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  3. Shannon

This is so heartbreaking. Meth has impacted my family and nearly ruined the lives of those who used. Thankfully, my loved ones recovered and left that life behind. I pity and pray for anyone who has a relative hooked on meth. It truly is of the devil and is catastrophic. I pray that this girl can somehow recover from this tragedy.

February 20, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  4. Janice

I agree with you Lee...not only the many 'typos' in the above news article, but also the way in which much of it was worded.
    One would think the articles would be proof read prior to printing.
    Very unprofessional!

February 20, 2009 at 11:08 pm |
  5. Alan Rockefeller

This is another case of the harm brought by drug prohibition. No one dies in the manufacture of aspirin or beer, because these substances are legal. If coffee was outlawed, people would be getting shot in renegade coffee fields. The solution is to regulate methamphetamine so people can buy it at the drug store instead of having to synthesize it in their kitchen. Methamphetamine is currently completely unregulated and this causes many more problems than the drug itself.

February 20, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  6. anitra green

I can't believe what I'm hearing. We have a president who promised to be upfront and straight when talking to the American people,now that he's being true to his word and actually doing so it sounds like you're suggesting that the American people would like to hear lies instead or that the President should do what so many other presidents in the past have done. We as Americans have had enough of embellishments,broken promises,lies and disregard for the people who voted to get them the presidency.I want to hear the truth and the whole truth so help me GOD. was I so angry that I mistakingly heard Anderson say Mr. Obama instead of President Obama. I've never heard that until now. It was always Mr. President or President so and so.Our President deserves the same respect as any other President.

February 20, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  7. Sharon S

Just open your and see that Life is Beautiful!

February 20, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  8. Kalpana

Oh God!! What a disaster..... why have you given so much pain for a 11 year old girl??? What wrong did she do??? What suffering... oh my God!!!

Oh God... please cure this girl completely.. and make her normal again..... or else take her away from this world.. she cannot lead a horrible life for a lifetime!!! Please take her away and relieve her of the unbearable pain!!!!! Or Save her... and give her a new life... a normal life again!!

God!!!

February 20, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  9. BKS

First of all read the story, the mother did not leave the girl with the cousin, the cousin lived in the back yard in a mobile home. But, I still don't see how the family didn't know because with my understanding cooking meth puts off a smell that can be smelt a way off. I just pray that the little girl is okay. And for the people trying to say that it was her falt, shame on you!!! How can you blame a child for this?

February 20, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  10. Anna Marie

I can't believe some of the comments, even some racist ones in here. What does race have to do with a meth lab? Thats why Racism won't go away, cause someone has to make it racist.
    Drug problems don't have to do with what color we are, what religion we are or what political party we are or even anything to do with being American or not. Drug problems are just govement induced though many of them may have been begun by the government.
    Drugs are addictive whether they are prescription or illegal. And it hits people whether rich or poor, white, black, brown or purple. I think the point of the article was that a child was harmed and who was responsible? I can't say that the parents are to blame here UNLESS this cousin was living on their property or in their home. Then yes they would be responsible because there is no way anyone could convince a jury that he was making Meth in a home and no one knew it. Unless you picked the stupidest jurors in the world.
    So Meth is such a big problem why hasn't the FDA or the government removed sudafed and the other components completely? Money=greed. Many cold medicines completely changed their formula because they didn't want the problem anymore. So again, why aren't removing those medicines from the shelves completely?
    Its a terrible tragedy that an 11 year old has to go through what this girl is.
    As for her knowing better and not drinking out of strange bottles.....You can tell a child that all day long until you are blue in the face and as soon as you turn your back to do something, they will snitch a drink. I have 3 kids, 21, 19, 15 and a granddaughter 3 and every one of them will do that. I don't care how old that girl is, they don't always listen to their parents. Tell a kid no and it becomes a challenge to them.

I really feel some of these comments are way off the story and in left field. Maybe with a new president in office who seems to hear the things no one thinks he has heard it should be brought to his attention? He wants to change things, put him to the test. Cause I'm sure that cleaning up some of the drug problems would be a damn good way to put our tax money to use. Cleaning up Hurricane Katrina and Ike would be too. Not that I think anyone is still reading this by now.

February 20, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  11. Jim

Crack is better and safer.

February 20, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  12. Miranda

Mr. Falcon-

I hope the girl will be okay and my thoughts and prayers are with her.I can't help but ask the question where is her guardian, if meth was that prevalent around the places she lived, where were they at?

You are right it usually takes a tragedy, it is important to note two things one that there is a legal from of methamphetamine the original not street made that is just as addictive and has caused many of the drug labs to start in the first place and second that a parents prescriptions can be just as dangerous with medications such as Aderall, Xanax, and Oxycontin claiming a staggering and alarming increased mortality death rate among teenagers looking for a high that ends up costing them their lives.

I am sad now both of the sign of the times when our young people look for a high in drugs and not their own dreams and that parents are often absent in their lives so they look to drugs as their way to go.

Miranda

February 20, 2009 at 9:38 pm |
  13. Tom

A consequence of criminal activity is collateral damage. That's part of the reason for laws in the first place....to reduce the both the direct *and* the collateral consequences.

Had meth labs been scarce, it still would have been possible for this to happen. However....

When a guy is running 6 meth labs, and authorities "stumble across" another lab looking for him, and this young girl is wandering freely within one, something has gone horribly wrong.

Blaming the girl is ridiculous. She's 11 years old. Put the blame where it belongs-on citizens who don't report suspicious activity, on law enforcement that doesn't vigorously enforce, on a timid judicial system, and on a criminal code that fails to provide adequate penalties.

It sounds like what's needed is a healthy sense of outrage to dump the status quo. Meth labs aren't that hard to find--they stink.

February 20, 2009 at 9:25 pm |
  14. damon hubbard

the man that allowed this to happen should not be in jail,he should be in the hospital also after he drinks the rest of the what was supposed to be the bottle of sprite.

February 20, 2009 at 8:56 pm |
  15. missogk

I learned from the show Intervention that Meth makers use the 2 Liter bottles to hide the smell. I feel this is the parents fault as well as the idiot who was supposed to be watching her. I find it impossible for the parents to not have known.

Even after a meth addict stops using meth it can still take years to recover from it. Meth speeds all of your bodies processes up, including your age. It cooks you from the inside out. You can easily tell when someone is using this drug. It ruins lives, the guilty and the innocent as we can all see. It is disgusting! It would be a miracle if the little girl lives. A meth addict is incapable of taking care of any child! Don't use drugs!!! Intervention also says that Albertville, AL is called Meth Mountain, which is close to Weaver.

If you are selling/making meth, you use it as well.

There are no second chances on this one. A little girls life is ruined. This is happening everywhere but i sure am glad i moved away from Alabama! I stay far away from the suburbs too.

My advice, if you live somewhere and notice a funny smell...report it. Better safe than sorry. You could save an innocent child's life.

BTW, Obama ROCKS!

February 20, 2009 at 8:27 pm |
  16. playjojo

I'm just stunned, that some of you are actually putting fault on an 11 yr old girl! Then again, I know when I was eleven, I always aked before I drank from a soda bottle, "Is this safe? any poison I should know about?" Even at that age, if she smelled something funny, they can lie very easy and a kid will believe. You're not going to know. 40 yrs ago, when we'd be smoking pot and a kid would catch us with a bowl, we'd say we were smoking tobacco. They believed. What did they know?

February 20, 2009 at 8:01 pm |
  17. Iekoop

I feel for this poor little girl, but like many of you I wonder why this girl was with the cousin in the first place. I find it hard to believe that the parents didn't know that the cousin was involved with something, whether he was using or distributing. Shame on them. The President and government should start taking steps to make the manufacturing and distribution of meth a bigger criminal offense like Reagan did in the 80's. We will never solve or stop the drug epidemic, but we can always try to slow it down a bit. I think people like the girl's cousin should get lenthly jail sentences to make an example and show that they aren't playing anymore. The fact that the DEA lets "small time dealers" go if they give up their main dealer, is absurd. I understand the concept of trying to get the big wig, but in the mean time you let a scum go free to deal his crap and find a new big wig to deal with. Stop making so many deals.

February 20, 2009 at 7:48 pm |
  18. louise

the worst part of this is that the uncle will probably get a slap on the wrist, go to rehab or some cushy couty jail for a while, but this girl will either die, or suffer for the rest of her life. he's probably still so high that he doesn't even know what he's done!!! what a waste of a human being

February 20, 2009 at 7:18 pm |
  19. Carol

It saddens me that this child is struggling to survive this terrible tragedy. It saddens me that our society will blame our government instead of the horrible person who created the concoction that she drank. It saddems me that a teacher, of all people, would pick out misspelled words instead of sending a prayer out to this child. It is time to stand up to these people that are hurting our children. It is time to take back our neighborhoods. It is time to start praying again and pray for this child to live and that she have a wonderful realm of people to help her live as normal a life as possible. God be with her and may she grow to be a strong beautiful person to share love that she was not shown.

February 20, 2009 at 7:17 pm |
  20. Robert Pratt

This is getting a little ridiculous. Meth labs are reported everywhere, and yet they are found by accident?

They are equipment, labour, and ingredient intensive. The finished product does not exist without the complicity of major pharmaceuticals, who know exactly in which towns they are selling the most ephedrine.

They know that a town selling 5000% more ephedrine can't possibly be more that much more ill than everyone else in the world.

What a joke. The number of ingredients needed to manufacture meth is incredible....and yet the news periodically still talks about a drug war in Colombia.

February 20, 2009 at 7:11 pm |
  21. Glynne64

Meth heads...great.

I hope like you-know that the authorities find this guy & really throw the book at him. I kinda wonder why her PARENT(S) allowed her to be with this family member. Do they have NO CLUE what he's up to? If they don't, then they shouldn't be leaving their children with him AT ALL. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR KIDS WITH ANYONE YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS ABOUT!!!

Paying for someone to watch after her would have been a heckova lot cheaper in the long run. And she'd probably still be healthy, happy & playing. My thoughts & prayers for her & her family. May they find this (self-censoring here) jerk.

February 20, 2009 at 7:07 pm |
  22. Roberta

To Lee Williams, if you are going to bash CNN for typos you might want to learn to read. The line you are "quoting" actually reads "To give you an idea of the extent of this drug epidemic". I believe that is proper English.

I feel for this girl. I think charges of attempted murder would be appropriate. I would also like to say that the idea of blaming the drug problem on the economic downturn is ridiculous. Every era in human history has it's own version of drug problems.

February 20, 2009 at 7:04 pm |
  23. Mendrys

Yes! Back to the good old days when people had real character. None of this namby pamby court stuff. Oh, sure plenty of people actually went to trial for crimes but when the town "knew" who the culprit of certain crimes was they would go out in masse, grab the offender and hang him from the nearest tree. Screw due process, screw the teachings of Christ just kill all of the criminal and terrorists and all of us "good" people will be left with a much happier life. While we are at it I bet infedelity would go down in this country if only we could stone alduterers as well.

I know it's easy to think that we are wholly good and the bad are just the opposite. But you have to ask yourself this question:

If stoning and other aspects of sharia law were so good then why are they still stoning and hanging people for offences? Wouldn't you have thought that they would have killed all the bad people by now? If not for the grace of god any one of you could have ended up like the fool of a cousin this poor girl had. The fool deserves every bit of punishment that will come to him but he is still a human being. He is still one of our brothers.

February 20, 2009 at 6:41 pm |
  24. Gianna

I can't believe what kind people would leave that stuff in their homes when they have kids running around. It's unbelievable, it makes me really sad when I hear stuff like that

February 20, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  25. KDX Butterfly

Prayers to this family and their little girl. What an horiffic ordeal.
    As an ex addict myself, I pray for the cousin and all the rest of the makers, cookers, users, abusers, and pushers as well. I pray they find peace within themselves to understand that life itself is the greatest high in the world. No drug compares,

As for the little girl. She will have to learn to experience life in a new light ... a light that will make her WANT to live.

Love, family, patience, and togetherness ... she needs you all more now than ever.

Peace be with all of you.

February 20, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  26. Kat

This makes me so sad...that poor baby.:(
    It's drugs like meth, heroin, and coke that should be the primary focus of law enforcement's War on Drugs. These substances are not just deadly to the people who use them, but, as we see in this unfortunate case, they are deadly to those who don't use them as well.
    It's doubtful this incident would've occurred in the home of a pot head - the Sprite in the fridge probably would've been the real deal...not acid.

February 20, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  27. tonya

The more of these types of stories I see, the more I am starting to feel "an eye for an eye" is in order. No jail sentence is long enough for the selfish, stupid ass of an uncle who caused this to happen. Don't waste our money on jail for this idiot. Use it to talk care of the girl. The more these criminals are made into hardcore examples, the better off we will be. Lead by example.

February 20, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  28. Annie Kate

Its getting where your children can't be safe anywhere – even at the house of a family member. I hope the little girl recovers and recovers to such an extent that she doesn't need a feeding tube or IV the rest of her life. The cousin running the meth labs – well it would be alright by me if someone tied him to a tree and pulled all his meth labs around him and threw a lighted match in – he deserves no mercy.

February 20, 2009 at 6:07 pm |
  29. EyesofAngels

When Urban America was suffering with Crack cocaine – officials ignored the problem – folks dying – families lost and split –
    why didn/ they care? Was it b/c most of the children suffering from the CRACK epidemic were black, hispanic? Answer: Yes –
    Now that there's a crisis in rural mostly white america – now there should be rehabs – clinics – projects and programs set up to help aid those families and individuals who are addicted to meth – My My –
    See how white politicians wise up when their own are in trouble ...
    It's sad – but the playing field is very uneven and unyielding –

White children are suffering – here come the politicians and cops to put the meth offenders in rehab and NOT jail – like they have done so many african-american males over the years – no rehab for them – just doing time.

February 20, 2009 at 5:59 pm |
  30. Gabriel

Time for the US to institute "eye-for-eye" justice. Especially in these types of cases. Force him to drink acid. Put the spectacle on TV for all to see. Screw the bleeding heart lawyers and others who want to rehabilitate these deviants. Time we start pruning the gene pool. Prison will only make the situation worse since drugs are available inside (and he would likely learn more ways to deal).

February 20, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  31. MEEverson

What a despicable thing to happen to an innocent little girl.

February 20, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  32. Illinoisborn

I think we should do what I have read somewhere else online. I think we should take all convicted Meth dealers and users and send them to the front lines of the war! Keep giving them there drugs and use them to difuse the IED's or to check out war zones. Who cares if they do not come back! They are pretty much killing themselves anyway and this way we can cut down on the tax payer money we are spending on keeping them in prison! I for one would much rather spend money on that than to allow them to sit in prison on my dime and get an education to one day get out and be an educated drug dealer!

February 20, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  33. jules

disgusting.

February 20, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  34. teamlead

Law Enforcement doesn't have a chance fighting the Meth problem. I live in Phoenix, and out in the desert you see hundreds of campers, RVs, even tents with tons of trash around them, and bad guys with guns hanging around. You want this to stop? Put a bounty on Meth dealers and manufacturers. Let the people deal with these fools. If Law Enforcement would allow the people to "hunt" these guys, the entire Meth community would dry up in a month! Sure, there would still be the occasional user, and Law Enforcement could lock them up for a few decades. But the people making the stuff, and the money are NOT AFRAID of Law Enforcement! That's a fact. Of course, this will never happen. But my point is this: We HAVE to stop looking at the Meth problem as just another controlled substance. It is a scourge, a blight on our nation. On our youth. On everyone it touches. Can't you boys in government come up with a better solution than just arresting, trying, convicting and warehousing these people? We do love our courts in this country, but maybe it's time to face the fact that most of the law-abiding folks that are legally here in this country want this to STOP! And your tired old methods of Law Enforcement for this particular plague JUST DON'T WORK! C'mon, think up something EFFECTIVE!

February 20, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  35. Jen

Why are there comments about the bailout and the economic meltdown attached to this story about meth labs?

February 20, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  36. Sarah

This completely breaks my heart. That poor girl.

February 20, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  37. Detroit 1701

Maybe all states should adopt Michigan's method of fighting this. Cold medicine can only be dispensed by a pharmacist. The main ingrediant is dyphinehrdrymine.

February 20, 2009 at 5:00 pm |
  38. hmmm

I'm thinking that maybe we could learn something from Iran – their form of punishment – An Eye for an Eye.

A couple days ago a woman had acid poured on her by an unwanted suitor, which in turn after dozens of surgeries, she still lost her eyesight. She fought and won to have acid poured in guy's eyes.

Yes, maybe we can lay blame on the parents, but maybe they did tell her – you don't know. All kids, whether told or not, whether old or young, do stupid things without thinking. I know several adults who do stupid things they were "told" not too. The negligence still lies with the cousin – and we the tax payers will be paying for his court appointed lawyer, his time in jail, his parole, his tether when he gets out, etc. while this child will never live a normal life......

February 20, 2009 at 4:57 pm |
  39. Hudson

This has absolutly nothing to do with border fences Earle, read the article. There are thousands of meth labs accross the country and traffickers have no need to go through the effort or risk of bringing it accross a border.
    A terrible thing, and incredibly sad that this young girl will be paying the price for the rest of her (possibly very short) life.
    The hypocrisy I read in these comments (on various threads) is laughable. You don't like that our government introduced these attrocities to the country, so just go ahead and blame Hitler! Such an easy scapegoat, right??

February 20, 2009 at 4:57 pm |
  40. Catherine

I find it hard to believe that her parents were not aware of the cousins involvement with drugs. Most people would look at a persons lifestyle and compare it to the money they spend and question it. Any money that's gotten from from taking this man's property should be put into trust for the childs medical bills.

February 20, 2009 at 4:55 pm |
  41. Mike

Rick Eiffert, what story were you reading????

February 20, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  42. Stanley Jones-Umberger

I don't understand some of these comments. This story is not about CEO pay or immigration, although I agree that no human's presence in any organization is worth what these scumbags make. The wall, however, should come down. Humans aren't the only animals that migrate and the wall is a crime against nature. The meth dealer should be put away for life, but this accident could have happened in any poorly run workshop. I hope the little girl gets all the treatment she requires.

February 20, 2009 at 4:53 pm |
  43. Mike

Once convicted, these "wastes of life" should never see the light of day again. No parole, no visitors to the jail, seclusion. Start putting these people where they will be forgotten about. They don't deserve to walk the earth. If you could give them the ultimate (capital punishment) I think that would even be acceptable. When is this country going to stop treating these guys and gals like they deserve a second chance? These low lifes care nothing for laws or other people. They are selfish individuals who only want to line their pockets with the money generated from killing people. They are some of the lowest forms of scum on this planet. They rank alongside child molesters and rapists and should be treated with absolutely ZERO respect or mercy.

February 20, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  44. Jeffrey Burgoyne

When caught, the same should be done to him. He should be made to drink the same acid and then left to die. I am sorry if that sounds "inhumain" but nothing else has worked. The bottom line for me is, there is an innocent little girl who for the rest of her life has to eat by using a feeding tube. Enough is enough! If you are convicted without a doubt, of commiting a crime. Then the same thing should be done to you. Enough of this hand slapping. Just like the Susan Smith case where she watched as her 2 children drowned while strapped in the car. The same should have been done to her.

February 20, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  45. sanchez

All I wanted was a Pepsi! Just ONE Pepsi!

February 20, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  46. Patrick Barker

I hope the Lord brings down his wrath of holy fire and damnation on these forsaken drug dealers.

February 20, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  47. Bassmouth

Rick Eiffert

you need to talk to barney Frank and Chris Dodd and their pal Frank Raines at Fanny Mae before you go retroing anybody's salaries. Those clowns in congress are the root of what's happened. They are the ones who should be prosecuted for all of this. and the saddest part is they've got most of America believing it's the EVIL CEOs. Big Money! Big Oil! Big Bank!

GAWD!

February 20, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  48. promarijuana-antimeth

I think the war on drugs needs to be more focused on dangerous drugs and we should legalize marijuana. I would open a buisness today if weed we're legalized and stimulate the economy at the same time. While freeing up law enforcement and border agents to pursue the dangerous criminals. Our president smoked weed. "I inhaled, I think that was the point" was the comment I heard from Obama. This would also slow the flow of illigal immigrants as the marijuana BLACK MARKET is a strong source of income for immigrants that don't mind doing illigal things.

February 20, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  49. Joel

If you want to lose complete control of something, outlaw it. OSHA wouldn't put up with this sort of danger in a legal but highly regulated manufacturing facility. Instead, we push it underground where safety is out the window and kids get hurt. It makes no sense.

February 20, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  50. verysad

I hope this little girl makes it. But in response to George Jackson's comment that the parents should be charged for not teaching their child not to drink strange things, I disagree. This girl was with or within the vicinity of her cousin- her family. Certainly it would have been more polite if she had asked if she may have some soda, but she was within the comfort zone of her family's property. She didn't pick up a bottle off of the street. Now if her parents were aware that there was a meth lab there, and allowed their child to be anywhere near it, then that's another story. Meth labs blow up all the time, and children shouldn't be anywhere near drug activity (or any illegal activity). But let's give the parents the benefit of the doubt until we know otherwise. Best of luck to the young lady.

February 20, 2009 at 4:14 pm |