February 19th, 2009

Fix American health care system — the capitalist way

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/HEALTH/02/17/cdc.young.people/art.doctor.visit.gi.jpg]
Joe Rogers
The Atlanta Journal

It’s time to solve the health care issue in America. If we can spend $1 trillion in Iraq and Afghanistan, $1 trillion on the finance and auto industries, then we can set up a new approach in America to health care, making it affordably available to all.

At Waffle House Inc., we have, for over 25 years, offered affordable group medical insurance to our hourly and management associates with the company paying 50 percent of the premium. But even with this, only about one-third of those who could enroll do so. Others decide to use their money differently for whatever reasons and take the risk of going uninsured. Besides, you’ll never get all of America covered using corporate America as the delivery mechanism.

People don’t always make good long-term choices. That’s the reason Social Security was set up and has proven to be successful (forget the management of it and look at the customer). Food stamps similarly have been an effective safety net. (What if Medicare did not exist?)

Read more...

Filed under: Health Care
  1. Annie Kate

I've worked for 3 major corporations and the health care they offered is no better than the Medicare coverage I now have. In fact, Medicare is better – its easier, coverage is about the same or better, and I haven't seen anyone that doesn't take it yet – and my premiums for the same level of insurance I had when I worked is half what the premiums were for the insurance at my old work places. The coupon idea sounds good but I would trust the government to do health care in concert with the big insurance companies (like Blue Cross).

February 19, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  2. lorraine

we need health care no health no job (can work) i will be glad if canada can do it so can we you think.

February 19, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  3. Sandy

I don't know how they are going to fix Health Care and Insurance premiums. When these Dr.'s charge out rageous prices for office visits. I went to a Dr. a few months ago and his nurse to my BP and got my weight then when the Dr. finally came in he asked my questions for 15 to 20 minutes. Well I got my bill in from him and for that visit he charged $413.00 and yes my insurance paid all but $10.00. So you ask why I even care? Well if these Dr.s didn't charge you prices like this then our Policies would not be sky high and people could afford Health Insurance. I understand that they spend alot to become Dr.s but at their prices they get all that plus in 12 months or less. I feel if the government can but into my life at every turn then they should beable to tell these Dr.s to cut there prices down.
    If I would have had the procedure down he wanted to do no telling what the bill would have been.

February 19, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  4. Howard H

I grew up in the US and now live in Nova Scotia, Canada. I can't believe that even after the debacle created by huge privately held corporations anybody still believes that nonsense about private being better. Giant corporations are at least as bureaucratic as any government agency - just ask someone who works for one. On top of that, unlike government agencies, they are subject to virtually no public review. Yes, some things actually are better left to the government.

Howard in Halifax

February 19, 2009 at 3:07 pm |
  5. xtina, chicago IL

It makes me nervous to let the same guys that run the IRS, the Postal Service, FEMA and Homeland Security also run my health care. Letting the fed. government decide whether we live or die is a scary thought too.

February 19, 2009 at 2:45 pm |
  6. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

You can help some of the people some of the times--but you will never be able to help all of the people all of the times--the best you can do is offer.

February 19, 2009 at 2:33 pm |
  7. Justin

That's actually not a bad idea

February 19, 2009 at 2:32 pm |