February 18th, 2009

NY Post cartoon racist and careless?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/02/18/martin.cartoon/art.new.roland.cnn.jpg]

Roland S. Martin
CNN Contributor

President Obama earned kudos from the media when he said he screwed up in nominating Tom Daschle as secretary of Health and Human Services despite his problem with paying taxes.

Too bad the leadership of the New York Post didn't follow the lead of the president in admitting that an editorial cartoon they ran today by Sean Delonas was offensive, careless and racist.

Read More...

1. Branden

I would love to know why my comments are not appearing on this blog? Maybe it is because I used the name of a specific search engine so I will try this another way. Type into a search engine of your choice "Bush compared to monkey." See what pops up. I do not think this reporter was calling Obama a monkey like the websites out there like Bush to an chimp. What I believe the cartoonist was trying to say was that the stimulus bill was written by a crazy animal because it was so irresponsible. Maybe the crazy monkey (the one shot by police officers) could have written better legislation.

For those of you who are not aware, a president does not write legislation, Congress does. Thus the cartoon does not fit. Is it the fault of the cartoonist the masses (of all color) are so ignorant?

I understand the black-monkey connotation and it is disgusting. Lets not go around throwing out the "racist" card; our president doesn't. A president who I voted for out of qualification, not color and certainly not party.

February 19, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  2. Scar1

NAACP-Education please! What happened? Scarey stuff! Roland-thank you for "Man Up Black and Proud". Shout out to all Brothers of the Movement past and present. We are marching on and Roland proved it. Thank God! That other guy makes me seriously sick.

February 19, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  3. Mark

The cartoonist probably wasnt intending this but aside from that it just doesnt work in the first place. Not only is it of questionable nature, it doesnt work and isnt funny. Its just stupid, symbolism is based on history of what images represent and something along these lines need to be on point, like if the cops were saying something along the lines of "poor fella, i bet smarter than the animals that wrote hte stimulas bill" . Honestly Does the post have editiors? What are they getting paid for?

It's neither clever or funny and could be taken the wrong way. I just dont get why it was printed.

February 19, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  4. Keith Vrabec

Roland:
    Though I can see your point, MR Obama did not write the bill, right? Wasn't it Nancy Pelosi and her crew? Maybe it was a sexist rather than a racist cartoon?

I interpreted it in a way that "a chimp could write the bill" and did not see any racist connotation until you pointed it out. Granted I am not as sensitive or perceptive, but in ANY way the cartoon is in bad taste.

Keith

February 19, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  5. Edward Hill

Mr. Martin, I think your comments are correct and on point. This person, Christie, is ovbiously living on another planet or perhaps in another time warp. He fails to acknowlwdege the hardships and sacrifices African-Americans have faced in order for him to achieve his nice cushy job, his lofty status, or whatever his comfort zone might be. The cartoon was a blatent attempt at racism, and failing to recognize it is like realizing that there is an elephant in the room and calling it something else. Racism cannot be swept under a rug , nor is it something that can be forgiven or forgotten. This can apply to any race or gender that has been discriminated against, once you've felt someone else's pain, you more deeply understand their disposition.

February 19, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  6. DERRICK J. ADAMS

GREAT JOB ROLAND. NOW, I REALLY BELIEVE THAT YOU AND DAVID GERGEN SHOULD TEAM UP AND SAVE AMERICA IN A FASHION THAT HAS NEVER BEEN WITNESSED EVER BEFORE .
    JUST KEEP CNN (MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE CABLE NEWS NETWORK )AS THE SOURCE FOR THIS TYPE OF SHOW....
    AS A MATTER OF FACT YOU CAN TAKE THE D.L.HUGLEY SPOT, BECAUSE CNN IS TO SERIOUS FOR THAT KIND OF STUFF....

February 19, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  7. Danyel

President Obama should address this with a banana in one hand and tell the New york post ' you missed but better luck next time'.

I bought a bunch of banans I guess that makes me a monkey to.

February 19, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  8. Retired CPO. Shaw

Mr. Roland Martin. you have know right to call anyone racist, you are the most racist reporter on CNN. you fit right in with Al Sharpton and his racist posse. I do not know how you got your degree in journalist, you are very unprofessional, Anderson Cooper need to drop you from the show, the longer he keeps you on the faster his raidings will go down. Mrs. Shaw. Vabeach.

February 19, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  9. Anthony

It is amazing that in 2009 we still have this sort of racial tension between us. What's worse is that some will try to defend this article as though it could have been meant in some other fashion. I can people hot or cold but the luke warm......well you know. Just think, this was done to mock OUR president of the United States by a major news source. The every day black man catches a form of hell that most will never come to understand. Lucky you.

February 19, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  10. paula flood

Roland Martin, I admire you because you call as it is! Yes the cartoon pictured on yesterday in the New York Post was racist and careless!
    Regardless of what the cartoonist says he meant; the editor and the cartoonist should've known how readers would perceive this and there is no other way that a reader could perceive this than to say President Obama is supposed to be the Chimpanzee. This is so ridiculous!! One thing that we know: the reality of this message is that racism is always going to be there lurking somewhere but what's really sad about this particular cartoon is that the cartoonist and the editor didn't have enough respect for people than to compare them to an ape or chimpanzee.

February 19, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  11. brett

The last post I had was either axed because it had the A word for what we call our backside or because my view isnt consistent with CNN's. I hope it's something silly like the A word instead the alternative. So I try again.

Ron Christie 1
    Roland Martin 0

Thanks to Ron Christie for exercising logic and for taking things for what they are instead of trying to drum up ratings by sparking racial debate. As Mr. Christie pointed out he does not assimilate chimps with himself in addition to the fact that congress wrote the stimulus bill, not Barack Hussein Obama. In my opinion that is a logical way to think and it sets an example of what this country needs in order to move past this old tired argument of racism. We have a strong black man as our president. A black man is at the pinnacle of our country, enough with playing the victim and saying everything is racist Roland. Does racism still exist? Sure it does but there is a difference between racism and going out of your way to find racism in every little thing that's out there. The New York post is probably going to lose advertising cash and also will have to deal with deflecting this garbage coming from people like you and Al Sharpton (do I need to clarify what I mean when I say people like you? Perhaps I should point out that I mean your frame of mind, nothing racist of course) . I say to the New York post, dont feed into this by allowing your knees to buckle, it only gives good ol reverand Al more leverage to do the same tired routine when the next thing deemed racist comes up.

Again Ron Christie, you're a breath of fresh air and I think you set a great example for all of us. People like you will lead to the end of the bickering of racism when we in 2009 in america are in an equal playing field. We all have the same rights as the person next to us, sorry but the old "this happened to us, we're being held down" argument isnt valid anymore in this day and age. Am I saying racism is dead 100%? Absolutely not, but it's a small percentage of extremist groups that fuel that fire not the majority of the population.

February 19, 2009 at 1:10 pm |
  12. Mary Ann Wendt

Perhaps in my previous Comment :
    I should have added that perhaps President Obama has hopefully
    been gifted with the best of both races of his origin such as wisdom , tolerance,strength of heart and decisiveness to withstand and take care of the problems that our nation is faced with .

February 19, 2009 at 11:59 am |
  13. Terence Fontaine

Brother Martin, I don't know how to contact you other than leaving this message. I am sorry that I have to miss hearing you in Houston next week. I have to travel to Austin for a political function. I'm a big fan and your frat brother. If you have time please send me your contact info.

February 19, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  14. bigjoerice

You have to consider the source. Mr. Martin has decided that he should provide a liberal counter point to Rush Limbaugh, and thus reduces any comment he might make to the same level of irrelevancy,

February 19, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  15. Craig

Greg

Are you mad because Christies view is totally different from yours? He had what every white person watching it, hearing them call it racist, in our heads, he said it. The thing was not racist. You were offended from someone having an opinion. People who are causing a disturbance, and police continue to tell them to stop, they shall just let them continue to cause a disturbance and let people get injured, no, but of course in '65 they didn't have tazors, what else is there to do. But, you were probably there and you no the real story....

February 19, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  16. Gregory Pepin

I do not know how you didn't just decide to throw down with Mr. Christie last night. I was deeply offended by his position which I think is just delusional. Why is this man on CNN? I understand you want conflicting viewpoints on a talk show, but this is ridiculous. Mr. Christie would probably say that the Selma marchers deserved the billy club beatings because after all they were creating a disturbance. He's a fool who should be transported back in time to get a healthy dose of what it was like for African-Amer's not too long ago. What fantasy land does he think we live in?! He needs to hopscotch down the yellow-brick road and talk to the Wizard because he my friend is living far from reality.

February 19, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  17. C. A. Thompson

Mr. Martin,
    I thought you were right on target, this was a subtle message depicting President Obama. Ron, whatever his name is, is obviously delusional to think there was no racial component to this message. If the cartoon was not meant to be racial it was still offensive and violent. If it was meant for Nancy Pelosi , why are two policemen shooting her and comparing her to chimp. I just cannot see a connection between the chimp and the stimulus bill, I guess my Master's degree is Psychology is not worth anything because I cannot figure that out. I guess I really should have been a Rocket Scientist.

February 19, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  18. Mary Ann Wendt

Just something to Ponder.
    All this racist stuff is just plain baloney ! Go Figure !
    Obama has a white Mother and a black Father , From his Mothers side he got all his features of a white man and on his fathers side
    he got his hair and color which is somewhat lighter than his fathers
    and his blood line is half white and half black - so what race is he ?
    My opinion is as the saying goes "He's his own man"
    End of dispute as to what race should place claim on This President !

February 19, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  19. Dave of NJ

Roland, I agree with your viewpoint totally. I must say this Ron person and his comments bothered me. He seems educated. I guess everyone deserves and has a right to an opinion but IS HE SERIOUS??? He doesn't "get it" He probably never will. THAT... is sad...

February 19, 2009 at 10:00 am |
  20. Kenneth E. Walton

Who does Ron Christie work for? He can't really believe the things that he was saying. Who is his employer?

February 19, 2009 at 9:52 am |
  21. Marie

Ron Christie–Thank You so much for standing up for yourself, Its very clear that Roland was not happy that you didnt agree with him. My husband & I come from a diverse background & we too agree that too many African Americans try to place the race card every chance they get. This nation was founded by immigrants. If you choose not to associate w/ certain people then so be it. Its time for people to move on. LET IT GO!!!
    Attorney General–thanks alot , you just took us back 50 years- i believe you are the coward! President Obama you may want to reconsider your choice of our so called "Attorney General"! PHHHHH!!!

February 19, 2009 at 9:32 am |
  22. Johnny

Sometimes a monkey is just a monkey.

When I first saw the cartoon I just thought it was a poor taste spin-off on the "Killer Monkey" story.

Not until people on your show started saying that it was a "racist" cartoon did I even pick up on that. Then I laughed out loud and am still laughing. Not because I think it is racist but because I don't.

I'm a southern white male. I've seen racisim before and I should know it when I see it right? But My fellow liberals, I am constantly amazed at the energy people will spend to find offence. In my opinion, It is much more energy than the offenders ever spend.

Give it a break Ya'll we've got bigger things to worry about.
    Nashville, TN.

February 19, 2009 at 9:31 am |
  23. Leslie Anderson

NY Post you are yet another corparation in this country who has once again embarrassed the people of this country. As Mr Holder said the United States is a nation of COWARDS, and you have showed what COWARDS feel and think and how they sneak in like the good ole boys that they are. Whether you like it or not President Obama is still running this country, and if you don't like it then leave. He deserves the same respect that was given to the last Presdident who got us in this mess in the first place.

Leslie Anderson

February 19, 2009 at 9:07 am |
  24. Robert,ms.

Ron christie should talk to his more black people including his mother and father.

February 19, 2009 at 9:04 am |
  25. Hershel Will

As a follow up, Mr. Martin. If that cartoon wasn't meant to be racist, then the cartoonist should be fired for sheer stupidity. there is still a woman in a hospital in critical condition and obviously this is not a joking matter....either way.

February 19, 2009 at 9:03 am |
  26. Hershel Will

Thank you Mr Martin. As I listened to the "360" show I became incensed at the comments of the black gentleman (i forgot his name and that is irresponsible of me) . He was constantly telling you not to cut him off even though he had no problem cutting you off.
    As a 59 year old black man, I recognize his type to be a danger. Not just a danger to black people but the nation at large. If he found offense to what Mr. Holder said about the segregation of the races outside the workplace incorrect, he is blind to the truth and more importantly, ignorant to the truth. It's the ignorance and consequently enabling of racism that is the true danger.
    For him to say that racism is not a problem because we now have a black president (and I guarantee that he didn't vote for him) and a black A.G. ( an appointee by the way) was in Mike Tyson's best word "ludicris". I never use racism as a crutch but I know it exists and know that black people must be vigilant in defeating it. It was the duty of my father for my benefit and it has become my duty for my children.
    By the way, I am a coward as are most Americans. I have many white friends and they come over for most holidays and the conversation is never about race or racism. It's uncomfortable for most (and we all love each other).
    However, I was involved in a lengthy open discussion about race in a diverse crowd recently and found many caucasions found racism and it's effects more reprehensible than even myself. They defended affirmative action even as I was downplaying it's importance and relevancy in today's society. I could be wrong but affirmative action seems to have improve the stature of women (white and black) more than black men. And if the black man is nothing in the home then he is nothing anywhere.
    Keep up the good work Mr Martin and thanks Mr Cooper for giving this a forum.

February 19, 2009 at 8:57 am |
  27. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

The thing about pictures-–they are worth about a thousand words-however--the script is left to the eye of the beholder, just like the double edge sword--it can cut two ways--it just depends on the script and how you want to be cut. Amazing how the sharks will gather when the first drop of blood hits the water.

February 19, 2009 at 8:56 am |
  28. sam, tn

i agree with Roland.

February 19, 2009 at 8:49 am |
  29. Vic of New York

Thank you, Roland, for restrainning yourself from punching the lights out of that Neo-Con apologist: Ron Christie.

Where did CNN get this guy from? Ron appear in clear in denial about something, or is he actually paid to come off so stupid?

The Posts cartoon was reprehensible. It put a coda on Attorney General Holder's courageous comments yesterday at the Justice Dept. Mark my words: This cartoon will go down in publishing history and be printed in history books for generations to come as example of the worst of the Neo-Conservative movement of this period.

If there is some good as a result, it will be to put a spotlight on the Neo-Con apologists that come out of the woodwork in its defense. You can bet Rupert Murdoch's other holding company, Fox Broadcasting, will be on that vangard.

February 19, 2009 at 8:49 am |
  30. Eric W

Roland and Dave were right on with their comments about the cartoon strip being racist. There is a history of blacks being referred to as monkeys and apes in this country. It is flat out disgusting that this ugly cycle of thinking is still exists. The comic strip was directly aimed at President Obama and the editor of the NY Post needs to be repremended for allowing garbage like that be printed.

By the way, where did you find Ron Christie? Can you say – OUT OF TOUCH?!!!

February 18, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  31. Steve

Of course it was racist. The way our goverment is set-up is racist, Rep vs Dem, I think it's time to look at re-vamping and making everyone Independents. This way we do not have someone like Sen. McCain grouping all the Rep. together cause he lost. Until then we will never see our leaders join together and feel free to back who they want and what is best or our country. When our country was formed it was the best way, but now it's time to reform and adjust our government to make the United States be #1 again. I do not think of my race or ethnic background first. My being an American is fisrt and what really matters. Until we all get on the same page we will not be able to rise to the greatness that we should be. We should be #1 in the World in everything we do.

February 18, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  32. Craig

When I first saw this, I thought of what had happened yesterday. When I just put the channel on, and saw this as being a racial thing, I laughed. Everything is racism and its getting annoying. I want to know if this would be as big as it is, if both police officers were black, this would never made headlines as a racial thing. Roland your also annoying, I hate when something is not a big deal, but apparently its racism in some way. The bill was not made up by Obama it has nothing to do with him. The bush adviser, who was saying we need to get past racism in everything there isn't, he is the MAN, finally a black man says it. Only reason why this is BIG NEWS, is because the cops where white. PERIOD. I thought the cartoon was either way pretty stupid, I didn't see any resemblance between the two.

Just thought of this, the chimp who was killed yesterday went berserk, the cop killed it because he charged him. By the cartoon saying who will sign the bill now, saying that who ever going to sign the bill, are crazy and now that its dead, who will ever sign such a bill. Than of course their is people who come to the conclusion that its racism.

February 18, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  33. Julie

Oh my gosh ! I think for change to occure I have to agree with Ron, IHEAR YOU RON! ( your wierd, so am I. I choose to be positive and not look for the negative too ) LOL Good for you Ron thank You.

February 18, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  34. goldon

I find this cartoon very racist and find it very offensive being a black american.we as country finally start to turn the page on race then it someone like this that makes us take a step back its just SAD to see !!!

February 18, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  35. Curious

Regarding race issues in America and the "Monkey Cartoon," I wonder how many White Christians believe they will be the only ones in "Heaven" while Blacks are all going to hell?

February 18, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  36. Rosetta Davis

I absolutely agree with Roland! Ron is delusional. When I heard about the chimp attack I could not put myself in the shoes of the people who owned the chimp. I would never bring a wild animal inside a home. But! when I saw the cartoon from the NY post I immediately related it to racism. I am a 46 year old African American female who is highly offended. You have to be blind and stupid not to see racism dispicted by this cartoon.

February 18, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  37. rhonda j

Unfortunately I watch cnn and it seems Dobbs and Brown are so out of touch with the african american community that they can't understand what Holder is saying.. Cooper seems to be open minded and the should stay on .. The cartoon was very offensive to me and also the Oreo anderson had on his show with Martin and Gergin. I watch Lou just to see how racist he is and unfortunately it is blatent. Why no african american commentators on during prime time cnn.Would love to watch but hurts to see and hear their views find it lot easier to watch msn reruns... Be careful before all african americans decide to stop watching..

February 18, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  38. Carlotta

Roland you are right on the money–Ron Christie is not living in the real world.

February 18, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  39. Maria

Okay the cartoonist is a liar and a coward. If you are going to be a racist then be a racist. If that is your intellectual level then display it proudly. Dont make a racist cartoon then lie and make excuses because you come under fire for it. Be the racist you truley are so that way when you burn in hell's fire at least we will know it wasnt because you were a liar, it was simply because of your hate. Thanks!

February 18, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  40. James

There could be many interpretations of the cartoon; some always look for something they can call racist. I didn't know Pelosi was black. Mr. Gergen should know better than to get involved in this nonsense. Bottom line, Mr. Obama did not get to the White House with just the vote of African Americans. Give it a rest.

February 18, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  41. benjamin davis

roland, first of all what race is ron christy, and does he live on this planet, boy what a oreo, republicsans have him whip but good. he is a uncle tom, and how can you even be on the same show that so and so on he is brain washed, why would they put him up there he is another clarence thomas.

February 18, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  42. joyce cole

who was the guy in the middle between roland and david does he have a clue what planet does he come from it should isnt this one. everyone know that for years black people have always been associated with monkeys i bet he;s married to a white woman and sucks up to the inlaws

February 18, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  43. Adriene

"For Goodness Sakes" Anderson! Why was Ron on the show? I try to be open-minded and listen to opinions of everyone, but it's quite difficult with Ron. I would equate him to a blind man who can see. Wake up Ron! Please don't bring Ron on again; he's annoying.

February 18, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  44. Willnella

Roland you handled Ron very well on AC360. It is so disappointing to see a black man so delusional and ignorant. When I first read the cartoon that was the first thing that came to my mind. How more racist could this be. We were called monkeys and by the way we still are. Ron is living in lala land and thinks nobody looks at him like that. I just recently experienced racism in Texas, when my friends and I went to a conference for school. So maybe someone needs to put Ron in the middle of Texas or Mississippi maybe he will understand racism does exist.

February 18, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  45. Darron

I was just watching Mr. Roland Martin be interviewed by Anderson Cooper on the subject of this racist cartoon, and he referred to Mr. Ron Christie as "delusional". I'm sorry but delusional Christian pots should not call racism-blind kettles "black." =)

February 18, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  46. Jodi

I did not see the cartoon as racist – my thought on it was the artist was trying to say the stimulus bill was written by a neanderthal. To me it had nothing to do with race. I'm sorry to see so many people thought it did.

February 18, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  47. DJ

I do agree with you 100% that this was a bad comment and can be interpreted as racism. What I'm surprised is the third contributor Ron, what he was thinking about that picture of two caps shooting at Chimp and the comment of signing the bill? I was not born in America but i have been called monkey and chimpanzee by fellows so many times. As a matter of fact, some have accused me being sharing life with chimpanzee and monkeys and that I'm the lucky one to be in America. Ron is elite when come to the matters of African American. Race is real; we cannot close eyes on it. If South Africa (Mandela) or MKL Jr. closed their eyes, could we be where we are? I'm asking you Ron.

February 18, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  48. Steve

I did not take the monkey cartoon the wrong way because I'm smart enough to know who actually wrote the stimulus bill. Maybe if every little thing wasn't construed as racist then we wouldn't have to worry so much about being politically correct. I feel we have come a long way in a relative short time and am sure a lot of us are feeling the same pain regardless of race.

I personally consider anyone who insists on racist behavior as being ignorant and not very attractive.

I'll gladly stand with my fellow Americans against the greed and dishonesty of many of our CEO's, bankers, politicians, etc. We have bigger fish to fry people... together!

February 18, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  49. John Jancar

I can't believe there is such a controversy over a silly cartoon. How many people out there, are actually offended by that, and think that a racist attack against Obama?? Am I missing something here? It seems to me that what they are trying to say is that the people who wrote the stimulus bill were dumb as monkeys! And they might be on to something! Barack Obama didnt write the bill..there is no reference to Obama at all. The editors themselves said they did not have Obama in mind at all when they made the cartoon..so whats the big deal??

There is no big deal. The deal is it is people in the media, not the people who go in front of the cameras, you know who I am talking about..the people who decide which stories to air..the big boys at the top..they want to continue to perpetrate divisions in our society, and keep on highlighting it in any way they can...to keep people focused on what divides us..because they see the people uniting! That is NOT GOOD NEWS for the elites, so they must make sure we get a constant barrage of BAD NEWS and JUNK NEWS..so we have our minds focused on crap like this.

For those who say "I am offended by that, that is a direct attack against black people!" Grow up! Grow a backbone, and even if that was their intent, so what? They do that to cause ruckus and causing ruckus about it only falls into their hands. Rise above it, man..when did we become such a nation of cowards!? ....oooo no he didnt! Yes I did!

February 18, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  50. Annie

If you can not see racism in this cartoon you are close-minded, naive, or too cowardly to admitted. Mr. Christie has a open minded point but reality is racism is here in our nation and still have miles to go for change on all sides of the issue. I understand clearly what the attorney general is saying. Note: remember, while you were at work or in crowds of people the feeling you had when Obama won the election; and how the ones voted for McCain non-expression of discouragement; that how silent (cowardly) we are to one another.

February 18, 2009 at 11:44 pm |