February 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/18/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Tim Barnes

Anderson, my interpretation of the political newspaper cartoon is that the artist feels that our economic bill is so crude that it was written by monkeys, i dont believe that it is directly stating that our president is equal to a monkey.

2. Gocachi

Roland is wrong and so is the new general. The Attorneys tone is absolutely offensive. I am no coward, neither are any of my white, Asian, or black friends cowards. We are relentless and will challenge anything and anyone that pledges to defeat us. We are the the rock of American Patriotism. So you tell the new Attorney General to step aside and give his new position to men of our accord if he thinks we are cowards.
    Marcail Parker

P.S. Sometimes Roland needs to shut him mouth! Especially when he's wrong.

3. Patty from Pennsylvania

A funny parody would have been a PIG, not a monkey.

4. Shane, Las Vegas

I am a 51 year old white man and Ron Christie cracks me up, With Michael Steele and Ron the Republican party now has 12 black members and he thinks race relations are just great! Hey Ron, why don't you take a trip down to the deep south, or up to the upper mid states, or some states in the mid-west, or any suburban neighborhood, as compared to an urban neighborhood. Roland is correct and if you loisten the entire Holder speech it is just about right!

5. Yvonne Andrews

I feel disturbed by some of your spokespeople tonight (particularly Ron) in discussing Eric Holder's comment. I am a high school teacher in an integrated school. My students love to be together and share their ideas in the classroom. Outside of class, at lunch, the white students gather together in their area and the black students gather together in theirs. Lets be honest about what is happening regarding race; that's how we can change what is happening.

6. Jawahar

Eric Holder is right. Racism and bias is evident at every turn of daily life here. Denying it is just living in la la land. So yes it needs guts to accept what is wrong with oneself.

7. Mark Colomb

Eric Holder is correct. We are a "nation of cowards" when it comes to race in America.

8. Sheila Kale

Thank you! thank you for stopping your guests from talking over each other. It is very irritating just like you said. Thank you.

9. David

Black people helped build this country and the maojority are still treated as second class citizens, this should have been acknowledged a long time ago that is why we still talk about it today

10. Tom of Philly

mike i did the right thing too 30% down fixed mortguage, but that loan officer made me feel like a fool for not buying more house on one of those crazy loans, if I hadnt known exactly what i wanted with the support of family he might have been able to convince me to go for a variable low teaser subprime loan, i insisted a few times for a fixed mortguage i can only imagine novices getting talked into the trendy bs, thats a loan officer trying to get a bigger commission, yea some made mistakes but i though we agreed mike P didnt deserve death by hanging....... plus it DOES effect us those foreclosures bring down our values and i really think in this plan its outlined if u dont qualify for a fixed loan you dont get to keep the house its not about keeping someone making 50K in a 750k house, not at all

11. vincent

I saw the cartoon and was instantly offended.....

Great comments David G.!!

12. Dan

Hey Anderson..... good on you for shutting up Roland and telling him to stop talking over his two colleagues.

13. Darren

I THOUGHT THE CHIMP WAS CONGRESS TOO!
    i dont get it!
    maybe you have to be older to see the prejudice!

14. Michelle

I guess the guy got the talking points.
    Mr. Gergen is right on point.

15. Chris Story

Can we agree that the intent of the "artist" that constructed that cartoon probably was not trying to make a racist statement? It was not the smartest thing in the world, but I don't believe it was meant to be racist.

16. Joe from Rockaway, NJ

That NYPost cartoon is unbelievable. There is no excuse with this. That saddens me just even think that up. Anything that could even be possibly associated with racism is completely unethical.

17. EJ (USA)

Ron – when you have a cartoon or satire - If you have to explain it – it's not f u n n y.

18. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Anderson,

The US mortgage companies in the sector closed in high, a sign that the package was well received.

But the stock exchange, in the world, closed in low?
    Why does this happen?

19. Daphne

Welcome back Anderson, Erica and great team from CNN AC360. I appreciate everyone's input on this blog. You are all so very smart people! So much to learn about the latest tough issues in our country. I certainly am encouraged by everyone's openness to discuss the tough issues and intelligent criticism of what is going on and how to make the world and our country a better place to live. Thanks. I am here to learn to be better and cope with issues and problems in our community and neighborhood. Thanks so much.

20. Ron

We are not a country of cowards. I think the problem goes deeper than just going outside your comfort box, way deeper.

21. Dave K. - Huntsville, AL

Thank you very much for asking your guests to not yell at each other! Please teach this to some of the other show hosts!

22. Elizabeth in Tennessee

Maybe if the cartoonist had more black friends outside of work he would have realized just how racist the cartoon could appear.

23. Bea

Ron Christie is funny. He says Holder should uphold the office of the Attorney General. But when the President is attacked in a cartoon or even when the cartoon is insensitive to the presidency he says, "Oh, no problem." A true Republican.

24. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Ron Christie is right on the money!!

25. Bhavin

Hey Guys – I just wanted to add that yes someone like me who bought a house in Southern California in 2006 for $600K. i am still paying my mortgage payments every month while my home value is now $440,000. I called Bank of America to refinance and they said they can't cause my home value is dropped and that they only refi homes that are not "under water." find me one home that isn't. While we need a stimulus bill how does it help people like me who are honestly trying to keep this economy going but are penalized for doing so.

I am frustrated that I use my tax dollars to save the same bank that won't help me out but is happy to take my mortgage every month.

26. biba

The cartoon in the New York post is just the newest form of racism: racism in disguise...very sad ...this is 2009 ...i am very shocked.

27. Lori from IL

While I'm not sure that Eric Holder's comments were appropriate from an Atty. General - if people think the question of race is over because we elected a black president they are naive. Think back to the days just before the election when everyone was wondering if the polls were correct or would this be another instance of the Bradley Effect? While we have made great strides - there is a long way to go (from a white woman)

28. Maura

Re the cartoon – are you kidding? The chimp looks exactly like the person who wrote the bill: Pelosi.

29. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

@Erica! That is a downer! 17k! Shoot! All I need is more debt right now.
    How about U? Are you really a minister? I can soooo see you being that nice kind of person.

30. Mary Jane

I'm tired of the blame for the housing crisis being put on people living beyond their means, that's too easy. In Rochester NY many of us are losing our homes due to job losses at companies such as Eastman Kodak. These jobs losses are the direct result of years of outsourcing American jobs to countries such as China, Mexico and India. The federal government should have put a stop to this years ago, for without a strong manufacturing base, we are living in a false economy.

31. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I don't know if this was meant as intentionally racist or not (if it was then the paper isn't very smart). If it wasn't meant that way then the editor should have been fired....

32. Brandi - bottom of the boot

the cartoon is just offensive.

33. Mike

Bravo Mr Cooper, Bravo. Please continue to tell your guests not to talk over each other. This is the first time I have heard this and think it is quite disrespectful to everyone. My question for you is, is it possible for you to have the power to turn off their microphones in extreme circumstances. You may only have to use it a few times.
    Mike

34. Ed Stevens

Very bad for the at gen. We have troops looseing there lives and he says that!

35. Dulcie - Denver

Wow! Thank you Anderson for asking them not to yell at each other. I don't enjoy that, either.

I don't know about Holder's comment about 'a nation of cowards'. I live in a working class townhouse community with ALL races represented. Right in my block, there are African-Americans, Latinos, Asian and me, a WASP. We get along very, very well.

36. Amanda Walton-Ontario Canada

Would they have used the same picture if it was Ronald Reagan they were talking about referring to Bedtime for Bonzo? It's hard to say if it's racist or not, only the cartoonist knows

37. Sharon S

David is so right that cartoon was very wrong!!! No one could take it any other way!
    David you are right there is a Full Moon coming excuse for anything I guess?

38. carolyn cee yah

patriots only believe their patriots if their republicans.
    please seen that dude RON back to msnbc.

39. Dana

Why does CNN keep having Barbara Corcoran on? She's one of the people that got us into this mess in the first place, telling people they should buy now whether they could afford it or not. She's always claiming she made a ton of money in real estate, why doesn't she help some of these people in trouble now?

40. Richard Hencke

I may talk about race because I grew up with racism, but my four California born kids (23 through 30) never talk about it because it is not an issue at all and never has been. They are living in a postracial society that many have not yet experienced. Have hope.

Richard Hencke, Santa Cruz County

41. Sandra Jackson

The cartoon in the New York Post today was extremely offensive to me. I am, of course referring to the 2 policeman depicted shooting the economic stimulus package which is represented by a chimpanzee on a page that is opposite an actual photo of President Obama signing the bill into law. I am a white woman – 62 years old – who grew up in the abusive atmosphere of segregation and racial violence in Memphis, Tennessee and Norfolk, Virginia. Your comments that Al Sharpton is an opportunist for speaking out against this cartoon are disingenuous. Perhaps the cartoonist is ignorant of the history of segregation and violence in this country, but I find that difficult to believe. Perhaps you think this is a free-speech issue. If so, then it is even more important for all of us to speak out against this type of imagery that panders to a dangerous and racist element within society. This kind of imagery was not only used against African-Americans historically, it was also used in cartoons to vilify the Irish when they were newly arrived in the mid-1800’s. This cartoon is wrong on so many levels. If this was truly an unthinking error, then where were the senior editors at the Post to put the kibosh on this? This isn’t a one-person error; this is a failure of the entire paper, whether by egregious oversight or willful arrogance.

42. Joe Hentges

Way to go Anderson! Keep those guests under control. I hate it when people start walking all over each other...I just switch the channel. But, you got me watching...way to go.

43. greg

so...the people that realized they couldn't afford to pay 50% or more of their income to buy a house are going to get the raw end of the deal.....great system. let's reward the irresponsible!!

44. carol

Let David Gergen host 360, he is much better at controlling the guest. And obviously much more professional when it comes to the White House. Anderson take another break!!!

45. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Because that cartoon depicted writing a new stimulus package... it is racist! Very Poor Taste!!

46. Dodie from Irvine, CA

47. Jeannie Zehr

Thank you Anderson for just asking the men to not talk over each other. I agree. It's rude and makes me want to change channels. I was taught years ago that shouting something doesn't make it more true!

48. Deanie

I think Eric Holder's comments were on target. Most racial issues could be mitigated with increased interaction during non-work hours...by all "sides". He was stating the facts. A focus on his use of the term "a nation of cowards" dismisses the point in favor of a discussion on style. As Americans we are certainly not cowards however we ARE afraid of frank conversation on racial matters. We have to get beyond making things personal. It is also unfair to compare Holder's statements with the NY Post political cartoon.

49. EJ (USA)

Re – NY Post article

I looked at that and tried to find any other kind of meaning to it – and I couldn't its. It's dumb. Why would the editor even think that's funny? (Even if it were Nancy Pelosi getting shot – it wouldn't be funny)

50. Esma

I'm fuming over that thing. I'd call it a "cartoon", but cartoons are supposed to be funny.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20