February 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/18/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Miami, FL

Roland is talking about self segregation, the generalizations are ridiculous. The church I attend every weekend represents over 100 cultures per service and we are all interacting wonderfully together.

February 18, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  2. Carmens

I will be interested to see whether you Republican guest will now agree that the catoon in the NY Post is ok after criticizing Holder.

February 18, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  3. Doug

Whatever happened to the Hope for Homeowners Program in which the mortgage amount was adjusted to be 90% of the value of the home? A HUD approved credit counselor friend of mine said that not one of these deals has been done since the program was initiated last October. Isn't this the program that is needed for all those homeowners who are under water?

February 18, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  4. Darren

we, blacks, whites, browns, etc voted for Obama!!!
    i am getting sick of the race card!
    no matter what we do, some will never give it a rest!

if we didnt vote for Obama, we are racist!
    if we vote for Obama, we are cowards!!!

MAYBE THEY SHOULD GO BACK SCARING US!!!
    if the world is going through such an economic crisis, why this race nonsense and cartoon nonsense!!!!!!!!

THIS IS STUPID!!!!
    THE WORLD IS EXPLODING AND WE GET BOGGED DOWN WITH THIS NONSENSE????

February 18, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  5. dan

I don't recall the blatantly racist cartoons about Condoleeza Rice drawing so much attention. Oh wait, she is a Republican, which I suppose makes it OK.

6. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I disagree with Gergen.

7. Andrea, TN

I don't see why it is wrong for Holder to make these comments. They are true – even people who are not what we would define as 'racist' still self-segregate. I know I'm guilty of it myself, and it's something we need to work as a nation now that we HAVE gone so far as to elect a black president. We have come really far, and we have to keep talking about things so we can go further. And who better to talk about it than someone as high profile as Holder?

8. Sabrina

Mary- I agree with you they sound so selfish by making broad assessments about a very difficult situation. I'm not one of the ones dealing with foreclosure but I am not going around complaining how my tax dollars may be used to help out someone else. Come on people we are in a crises, are we not all Americans!

9. George , New York

I am a White Man and I welcomed Eric Holder's comments today. We are in the 21st Century. It is time we exorcised the ghosts of hatred and racism and confronted the past.

10. Maria

Ok, live within your means, build your own house so not to borrow more than you can afford, save for your kids education, go on vacation once every 10 years, own a car for more than 12 years,
    and earn less than most (but more than the government allows so your child gets limited financial aid for college) and have no credit card debt.
    What will that do for you, nothing!
    Good guys still finish last!

11. Patty from Pennsylvania

I for one am totally offended by that cartoon. There is no way that it wasn;t intended as a racial insult. For the Post to say it wasn;t is a lie!

12. Augustine - Savannah, Georgia

Anderson,
    I think David is right. Holder's comments sounds like he is tone deaf. It seems to undermine all the progress that has been made – the election of a black president (although it does not solve all the problems).

13. Roger

Anderson, Thanks for keeping your guests from talking over each other. They all have great comments and it's so refreshing to be able to hear them in an orderly fashion

14. Frank Brown

The ATY General is totally wrong. Nation of cowards was BS.
    Looking at all the service members dying in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    I know, because I'm in Afghanistan seeing it daily!!

15. Lance, Maui

From 2000 through 2007 housing values in many areas of the country increased 200-300%. This is laughable. Everyone keeps talking about how bad these foreclosures (and the declining home values) are for the country. Of course it is bad for individual families, but most family incomes did not increase by nearly that much during the same time period. Why isn't anyone saying that this adjustment back down in house values is the right thing for the long term? This would also prevent people from using their homes as ATMs as they have for the last 7 years, and prevent municipalities from relying on inflated property taxes.

16. George From Canada

Thank You AC...Finally a person from CNN who puts the breaks on
    talking heads shouting over each other...It is one of the reason I like
    David G....he is a class act...you are too...your show..make the rules..maybe you can bring some class back into shows..it make them look like amateurs..keep it up. You Rock...

George From Canada

17. Jacob Gould

Thank you Anderson for telling them not to talk over each other. I hate that. What are we children? Also, for the AG to call American's cowards is as divisive as Rush Limbaugh saying he wants the President to fail. When are we going to realize that we need to work together despite our differences? Jake.

18. Ken in NC

Anderson the cimp cartoon in my opinion was racist. I grew up in NC just north of Smithfield, NC in the 50's and 60's and I experienced much of what tat cartoon implied today. I know many that are not Black may not be able to relate to it as an older Black could and that is just because of the cultural differences. In fact I can even understand how many young Blacks would not be able to relate the cartoon as racist because they never experienced this for of racism.

19. Benny Staten island

Want save homeowners bat no the economy, kipping the prises fake up they give nobody chanse to bey new homes, because the prises ar no real???...

20. Loraine

Roland is right on the race-cowards issue. He has been paying attention to the real world – not the ideal world we're trying to become. We are afraid to talk about race because we are afraid we'll be accused of being racist.

21. Jen

You Go Anderson! i very much appreciated your comments a few minutes ago on bringing your guests in line and kindly asking them not to talk over each other. Drives me nuts too!

PS........I've never sent a live comment before but I love your show, your integrity and I couldn't resist. Keep up the great work!

Best,

jennifer

22. Bridget, TX

The New York Post cartoon, supports Roland and the attorney general's statements. That a major newspaper not only printed this disgusting cartoon but to insult their viewers with this is Rev. Sharpton seeking publicity and that this had nothing to do with the President shows we have far to go.

23. Ted Miller

Roland,Holder are wrong, vast majority do not distinguish between race

24. Chris Story

Was it me, or did David look like he wanted no part of that last conversation? Talk about uncomfortable...

25. Jane

We definately have come along way in race relations. Who remembers the winning coach in superbowl 43 was a black man? A few years ago, all we heard when the Colts met the Bears superbowl 41 was that a black coach was taking a team to the superbowl.
    Now we have an African American president, why does the AG think he needs to stir the race debate?

26. John A

Anderson
    Right on !
    Keep those guys under control. I hate it when they cut each other off. It becomes less of a news show and more of a side – show.

JA

27. Yael Davis

Talking about race does not mean you are not a patriot. I get sick of people pulling out the patriot word whenever they don't want to deal with an issue. Dealing with the race issue will make America better and anyone brave enough to do so is the real patriot.

28. Glen Up North

My pleasure, Megan: I like contributing as much with light-hearted humour as I do with contextual discussion. Glad you enjoy! 🙂

29. Joe

I don't like the cartoon about the monkey because it could be raceist(?lol ) to alot of people, but you have to admit we hace a bunch of monkeys in congress that just don't get

30. LorenaR

I couldn't figure out the syntax on the last part of Eric Holder's speech, but i do agree with him; we do have a long way to go before we finally deserve the description "post-racial." His comments were not disgraceful. We ARE afraid to speak of race. But our country has accomplished a lot and we deserve credit for that.

31. Laurie Norton

Anderson,

I really wonder how common is it for a chimp to go crazy and hurt someone? (I heard he'd been given Zanex...?)
    We should remember people go crazy and kill each other too. Considerably more often than chimps, I'd venture...

Laurie Norton; Durango, CO

(By the way, you're great!) Thanks for always speaking respectfully to people...)

32. francis

what about people that did not refinance with fannie or freddie, do they just get he shaft like normal. all this crap is always for the rich, never for the normal people like me. what obama is about is crap and i can not believe that people are stupid enough to buy into it. you can not stimulate the economy by screwing the middleclass, the only ones that will benefit are the rich, why don't you dumb people understand that.

33. Liane

ok Anderson you and/or your producer are very smart – pushing the political panel later in the show ensure that all of us David fans stay tuned! Not that whole show isn't worth watching!
    Thanks for putting those guys in line when they were talking over eachother – you're right it is a total turn off for viewers.

34. Chris

Erica, may I just say that you are incredibly Beautiful.

35. Edward

I have always made my mortgage on time though in recent times with increasing difficulty. It doesn't upset me in the least though that some other people who have perhaps overextended themselves or maybe lost their job are going to get a helping hand from the government. From what I can see, it's predatory lenders who are principally to blame. The foreclosure problem affects us all and helping those in trouble will indirectly help those of us who are making our payments on time by beginning to reverse our mutually declining property values. We're all in this together whether we like it or not. Let's give our new president the benefit of the doubt.

36. Lee

The AG's comment that we are all cowards......he should speak for himself not for all the country.

37. Ann

Holder's comment that we were a nation of cowards showed how much our efforts were appreicated for all the work done to get a black man elected to the highest office in our country. I regret my hard work!

38. Jim

Mortgage Servicers (Wells, Chase, CW, Citi, etc.) can do better. If a borrower is 90 days delinquent on a mortgage, Servicers will not accept partial payments. It's against policy. There are also programs on new mortgages that allow borrowers to have "job loss" insurance (covering up to $2,500 per month for 6 months). Again, many Mortgage Servicers will not accept these progams. When asked "why" the response is they're not wanting to accept anything outside of normal business practice. This is insanity; doing the same thing over & over while expecting different results. We have serious issues & until big Bank Servicers are willing to get up with the times vs. simply taking handouts, the problem will persist.

39. Tim O

There will never be an honest discussion on race until white people feel safe speaking honestly WITHOUT the danger of being called a "racist."

Why is it that when a black person stands up for his rights it's activism but when a white person stands up for his rights it's racism?

40. Kirk

I live in Iowa, one of the whitest statesin the US, and I am proud to
    say that we started the movement to elect the first black President.
    I hardly think this is a cowardly act!

41. anthonia,oakland,ca

Would Obama's foreclosure's plan help benefit the home-buyers that are waiting to be pre-approved for a home?

-Anthonia

42. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Gosh I hope we have made progress on the race issue. I sure think we have.

43. Thomas Wolf

Hi Anderson,
    One of your guests defended home buyers who bought at the edge of affordability by saying that 'during those days, those people were told that if they didn't buy now, they'd just pay more later'. This is just about the most ridiculous excuse I've heard for buying a house you can't really afford! Your guest is absolving these people of making rational financial decisions!

It is perfectly clear to any objective observer that the US is in this financial mess because of the irresponsibility of ALL of its citizens – its bankers, government workers, home owners – everyone.

44. David, Indiana

Good panel with Ms. Corcoran and David Walker Anderson, by the end of it I understood how that refinance provision works, no more than 5% upside down and Mr. Walker said. Eligibilty for different programs is important concern. I heard there are about 15M Americans underwater though on their mortgages, editor of Fortune? on Rick Sanchez so will there be some who need help who are not eligible.

I'm happy about this housing program too Megan. I feel this approach to housing on the part of the Obama admin goes into the problem in detail, approaching the problem from several different angles at once.

45. JC Smith

Anderson – thank you so much for asking the guests not to yell and cut each other off. I can't stand when other shows allow that and I immediately change the station.

Cheers,
    JC

46. EJ (USA)

Until I starting watching AC360 about a month ago, all news anchors blended into a tapestry of monotonous similarity. Anderson has the singular ability to capture both heart and mind with his warm authenticity and penetrating acumen. He was missed this week!

That was very sweet how you put that, Isabel. I agree.

47. peter

Housing
    Remember the dems played a large role in this – specifically chris dod and barney frank

Due to the stimulas plan, I am already bailing out states that i don't live in with my tax dollars.

The 9 percent of people in america that are defaulting on their loans is unfortunate. However, many of the people defaulting over reached and took on loans they couldn't afford like the states spent money they didn't have.

I pay a lot taxes – not sure i want my tax dollars bailing out big spenders

Peter

48. Chioma

I think everyone should read the entire speech in it's entirety before hanging on the words, "Nation of Cowards". A lot needs to be done in this country on race relations and I hope we get there.

49. MaryBeth

All of you on here saying you can't refinance because of good credit or whatever, be patient! Obama said banks and lenders will now be forced to help! Just wait 2 more weeks and the answers you are seeking will be answered.

50. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

EJ – Haha I just read your comment. Maybe getting away from the blog for two days is a good vacation. 😉

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20