February 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/18/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jeff

I agree, calling us a nation of cowards is wrong. Our military men and women, of all colors, deserve better then that from a man in his position.

February 18, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  2. Mike, Syracuse NY

Come on. The cartoon was clearly talking about Congress. You must admit that Pelosi and her cohorts (of both parties and all races) are a bunch of monkeys. Sorry, didn't mean to insult monkeys.

February 18, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  3. Kimberly-Ohio

Enjoy the honesty on CNN. Why these homeowners are not refinancing with a lower interest, is beyond me? If your home interest jumps from 5% to 12%, wouldn't you think that is the time to call your mortgage company and look at refinancing for a better rate.
    In my job, I hear everyday from people that are letting their homes go back to the bank, not only from job loss, but from divorce. Are they going to bail these people out, who willing let their home’s go back to the bank? People coming in saying, I stopped paying my mortgage; I want my hand out too. When is the hand out going to come to an end?

February 18, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  4. tsesee

People keep saying that the housing plan helps those who didn't play by the rules. it seems to me that there were no rules!

February 18, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  5. Ram

I am a minority and find Eric Holders comments very puzzling. This is the best and bravest country to reconcile with the past.

Once again proves why David Gergen is my favourite.

I find Roland Martin way out of his league here and is a joker.

6. David, NY

The New York Post should be more careful about what they publish. Even though there is freedom of press in this country, its freedom stops when it affects other people.

7. Michelle, FL

Wow, great discussion. You tell them Anderson! They can't make their point if we can't hear them.

8. Phyllis

I think the comments about Eric Holder sort of validate my conviction that he was right to say what he said. I would observe that the NY Post cartoon coupled with the Eric Holder comment are instructive. It would be interesting to have everyone who thinks Eric Holder was off base describe their acts of courage in confronting racism over the last year.

9. Vig

Cowardly about race? Didn't this country just elect the first Black President and didn't the first Black attorney general of this country just get confirmed! As you discuss this, I am looking out my living room window watching 3 car loads of Black individuals converging and meeting with the neighborhood drug lord. It's drug distribution time. And the cars – brand new red Jaguar, brand new black Toyota Camry, brand new convertible sports car. Let the Black community look at iteself first before calling me a coward.

10. Stephanie

I just want to say that I really appreciate Anderson's interjection during the panel discussion about "the nation of cowards comment." It is very annoying and hard to follow when different people are yelling and talking over one another. It is more productive and effective to listen as well as speak your opinion. Thanks Anderson!

11. Michelle

Anderson your program just prove Holder's point.
    Look at how the discussion of race in playing out
    on the air. Maybe if 360 and others do not use
    political talkers to talk about race all of the time
    there would be a decent discussion.

12. Chris Story

The most important question of the night is – where is Erica Hill? It isn't the same without her.

13. Glen Up North

Is it just me or have the webcasts not been available tonight and yesterday night? 🙁

14. Trina Sajovie

I am confused. Are you saying that only people that have loans with Freddie and Fannie are going to be able to get help with Obama's package?

15. sean nyc

Anderson- Thank you for stopping them from talking over each other. One of the many many reasons I watch your show: You're truly regarded at a higher standard than your competitors!

16. JacquiChan

I respect every1 on the panel I was not offended I think that thoose who it doesn't apply to are not offended. Rasism or social segregation is alive and common and should be discussed there are many forms of rasism, not as severe as using the "N word" It is usually true in my opinion the seperation by race is all to common blacks, white, asians and hispanics are all guily of this

17. Mindy

Does this housing stimulus mean that modified mortgages, if you are able to qualify, must be retained by the "lender" or can they be sold to investors here and around the world? And does that mean we can go back to the "greed" mindset that got us into this mess?

18. Kevin Ebersold

Anderson;
    I am curious as to why it is that the only people you have commenting on your show are people who make at least 6 figures annual income....Not ONE average blue collar american!
    I just don't understand why it is that the republican(s) did not vote for the stimulis package yet it is the Republicans who are at the front of the line to get a break or refund. Even the home(s) that you show on TV are not middle class american homes....4000+ Sq. Ft. Homes in the million dollar range is not exactly middle class. I want to hear from people who are actually struggling not some talking head making 300,000 dollars a year telling us why it's a bad idea.
    I think Obama is the best thing thats happened to this country since sliced bread and canned beer!

19. steve

seriously... now i'm hearing the AG call this a nation of cowards while i foot the bill for those who blew their money on TV's Cars boats and booze... maybe Stanford will win in football too. What planet am i on?

20. Becky, NY

We have come a long way when dealing with race in this country, but obviously not far enough.

21. Roger Trujillo

For those of you who did the right way of buying a home, like myself, should be proud of our values. For those of you who are complaining about those who couldn't, should not be proud. Teamwork also works on this great earth. Since the last administration only catered to the rich and left the rest of the country behind. I am just curious how you voted before Obama was elected. Maybe you are part of the problem, and created your own fate. God bles the child that's got its own, and all others. I am willing to pay a little more in taxes if it means keeping the streets safe and helping those that have been forgotten. Isn't that the God Bush believed in?

22. Peggy

Anderson – thank you so much for requiring civility and manners on your show, it's SO refreshing!

23. Carolyn

It's a nightmare. I put a huge downpayment on my house, now my house is barely worth the downpayment and I owe $96K mortgage because I played by the rules. Sure, give the losers another chance at buying a house. Did they suddenly get smarter? Not likely.

24. Janine from PA.

Saw the cartoon, really made no sense. Really isn't a good idea to show anyone shooting anything that may stand for congress or the president. But it was a dumb easily forgotten toon.

25. Romaric NY

oups lol... hey Anderson, great show great blog...
    Definitely I do believe there will still be some people who will trick around to get the money out of this stimulus... we've seen this as people were greedy on mortgage refinancing, they failed. They really need to be regulated and really help people suffering to loose they house and please forget about making profit on them.

26. Darren

When our First Lady acts with such dignity and class, I am sickened by the Attorney General and his cowardly boss, the President!

27. Cindy

That carton was in EXTREMELY bad taste!! They need to apologize for that for sure!

Cindy..Ga.

28. Michael Bisch

Regarding race remove all titles from the words before you state who we are! We are all just Americans not African Americans, Chinese Americans, etc etc....We are all just Americans! Do away with all these stupid race endorsed titles.

29. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I think Mr. Holder certainly has a point. He maybe could have used better language but he does have a point. We have come a long way but we still have a long way to go, in my opinion.

Anderson, thank you for keeping the panel in check! It is really annoying to try to hear what everyone is saying whey they are talking over each other.

30. John

Thanks so much just now for calling your panel down, and so quickly, to admonish them to not "talk over each other." I agree that it is very annoying to viewers.
    Don't let your show go "Fox News" on us.

31. Lauren--NY

Anderson, nice moderating, there.

I can understand the passion behind this issue, though. Self-segregation is definitely a reality, but I do think that David Gergen makes a more poignant point than he realizes when he remarks that he's never walked in the shoes of a black man...I have also never walked in the shoes of a black woman and I do think it's significant that our cultures have such strong influences on our experiences...I think that we tend to flock with people who have shared many of our experiences and can have specific empathy for them (i.e. support groups) and to label that as "cowardice" seems inaccurate to me.

32. Glen Up North

Jennifer, your comment re: house depreciation on your surrounding land (for which you have my sympathies 🙁 ) jogged my mind here re: the whole "bad house loans" situation: it is not only the houses for which there are "bad loans"... It is the entire area's homes, as more and more become available on the market. When we built seniors' housing back home, discussion was made about avoiding that all the seniors put their previous houses on the market on the same time, which would lead to depreciation. If 40 houses in a 2500-population area could cause a market upset, imagine all these "bad loan" houses on the U.S. market! 🙁

33. Amanda Walton-Ontario Canada

Re-valuating all homes to what current market price is, refinace homeowners mortgage with current interest rate at fixed term for 5 years and giving the Tarp money to the banks for the loss the bank's have. The Tarp money should be given when they see the progress is being made to make sure home owner don't get the shaft from the bank. Anything over and above what is in the Tarp the banks eat the bullet. Sounds easy enough but nothing ever is

34. Sam M., Eugene OR.

Lol David Gergen your looking the strongest just sitting there. Good move not getting involved.

35. EJ (USA)

Thanks for moderating that discussion on race, Anderson. Nice job : )

36. Bobby A

Hello Erica Glad to have you back!

37. Jacob Mammen

Attorney General is wrong.

I am indian guy

38. Kamlesh Vakil

Anderson,
    Obama is doing what parnets did in story of "Prodigal Son". The story is parents had two child. One wise , educated and careful in spending who saved his money. Other spent all money just like people who bought house they could not efford. Prodigal son come to house like begger and parents had to help him. Wise Child did not like but parent had to do with regret.
    Hence my fellow good wise Americans we do not have choice but to bail our Prodigal brothers and we have to take hit.

39. Gayle, Columbus OH

Go Anderson! Yelling and talking over each other is soooo annoying and no one gets a point across. Good show, man!

40. Tim O

Roland Martin taking the pro-Obama position? That never happens.

41. Susaan

I like Eric Holder and I like his candor. But I disagree that the lack of socializing across color lines is racial. I suggest that the rift is cultural, and exists across ethnic lines as well. For example, folks in the Armenian community don't socialize on the weekends with folks from Chinatown. Nor do the people who live in the North End of Boston, tend to hang with folks from Newton. The differences, I believe are cultural and economic. Here's a question: would the African American community be willing to give up the role in society that this distinction provides?

Are we cowards? Maybe. But I don't think the issue is race.

42. Anne A.

I celebrate and embrace people who courageously speak out of Black History Month with eloquent, passionate words of truth. Let them stand in their moment without analyzing the point out of context. The Attorney General spoke a truth for some, maybe not for all, but for many.

43. Margaret

I, too, am just so disgusted about having to bail out people who got themselves into bad situations in the housing market. I live in a studio apartment in NYC about 20 feet from a huge construction site (I would have moved, but my rent is "cheap" by NYC standards $1500/month), make a decent salary and can't even think about buying a home. Why should my hard earned money go towards helping people who thought they could get something for nothing.

44. ernest gonzalez

Hello Anderson.
    How about a right to rent policy that would not cost the tax payer a dime. though a temporary law on the foreclosure process through congress . this people need temporary help. they would rent their home from banks for maybe 5 years to build a trust . the bank would the rent at market value, at the same time build a trust between a bank and the homeowner, then maybe sell the back the note. this would build consumer confidence then stimulate the economy. this will cover everyone in foreclosure, also maintain property values by keeping the empty homes in neighborhood full.

45. Linda

Love you David but just because we have elected a Black President does that mean that talking about race relationships is being talking about opening, I say no. This time I have to agree with Roland, I know the other gentleman says race has come a long way statement but its still a issue a lot of people just don't want to talk about.

46. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Go, Anderson! Grown individuals yelling at each other on television is embarrassing and childish, and I love that you don't tolerate it. Don't ever let up on that one. 😉

February 18, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Lawiz -San Diego, CA

Welcome to AC360 live blog tonight!!!! enjoy join the blog tonight!!!!

February 18, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  48. Cessy, Chicago

You go! Anderson! No need to yell!
    Have some class people!

February 18, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Laura

Anderson,

It is not clear what my husband and I will be able to do to get back to home ownership given that the bank refused to modify our mortgage, took our house and then sold it for 43% reduction in value. My husband is in real estate and his income was very vulnerable to the market, which during the boom we thought would continue. We felt safe in buying the house we were already renting so chose to buy it rather than relocate. We had an inkling that the price was at the top but it was already our home. It just made sense to buy so we could stay. We had no idea the market on this property would drop 43% but the bank saw to it that it did. The tone of many being interviewed seems to blame us, which is not fair.

The man who is working several jobs just to keep up is perhaps causing the banks to dig in their heels on abusive loans since there are obviously some who will work themselves to death to continue to struggle but these people aren't entitled to adopt a holier-than-thou attitude about people in general who have found themselves caught in this mess.

February 18, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  50. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Ooh a little drama on AC360! Calm down everyone.

February 18, 2009 at 10:26 pm |