February 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/18/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Darren

A NATION OF COWARDS??????

Maybe our President is the coward!!!!
    Obama is a coward because he has to use his Attorney General to insult people!!!!!!!

I voted for Obama and I think he is a PIG!!!!
    how dare he insult us!

2. Carrie Bradshaw, Upper East Side

Mr. Gergen, I admire you to such a great degree. Thank you, I have surely not walked in the shoes of a black person myself, but I arte lunch (and still do) with ALL of my friends. Of all ethnic groups. Perhaps I am a minority here, but I certainly hope not.

A Nation of Cowards? That is crossing a line to me. You cannot judge everyone, an enitre nation, with a statement like that. Especially when you are in a federal position.

3. Bridget, TX

I totally disagree with David on this one. We do not talk about race at its core. Yes, we mingle and work together but we don't embrace the differences. I agree with Roland we need to get out of our comfort zone.

4. Ken in NC

Well Roland I understand where you are coming from but I have to admit that the chief law enforcement officer for this country was a bit to blunt with his words today.

I must agree more with David G. on this issue.

5. Anita

The language was very inappropriate that Eric Holder should make a comment as he did. VERY, VERY BAD.

6. Gray

Yes, I was responsible in getting my mortgage. Yes, I am up to date in my payments. But most important YES, President Obama's plan will help me with my property value even if I don't get direct government aid myself. Its not difficult to understand that halting the bleeding in the housing market will help ALL of us home owners.

7. Brandi - bottom of the boot

wow, did anderson just flex his muscles! Yes he did! i think it is more annoying to him than to us if they speak over themselves. lol

8. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I love how the panel can say someone is wrong and make it sound respectful. They deserve Oscars for that.

I am a bit on the fence about AG Holder. I see Martin and Gergen's points. I attend a college that is about 65% white and 30% black and 5% other ethnic groups, and every class I have been in the races always mix. Do you know who doesn't mix (or does so rarely?) Men and women. I think we divide ourselves subconsciously – and not just by race but by gender, disabilities, etc.

Coop, thanks for calming the panel down! My hero!

9. Benjamin T.

I just got informed today that I'm losing my job at the end of the month. I'm a 27 year old B.S. in Criminal Justice holder. I was working at an Aerospace company as a Temp. I had an interview for a perm position there a month ago. I didn't even hear about the position before they let me go. I was having dreams of buying my first house but within a phone call the bubble burst suddenly. So much for the Economic Stimulus being basically immediate (does immediate now mean within a year?) I still think America is much much better off having Obama as president but how long do I have to hold my diploma up above my bed before I can move it to my office wall?

10. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Thank you Anderson! I don't like people talking over each other either, it is annoying....

11. Sharon S

Thank You Anderson! for telling them not to talk over each other it is so annoying!!!

12. Jana, Indiana

THANK YOU Anderson. We don't need yelling or talking over each other!

13. Stacy

Haha. Anderson, laying down the law. Thank you. The yelling is annoying.

14. Marlene Rossi

My husband is currently collecting unemployment we're 59 yrs old,paying our mortgage payment with our equity loan.Our home has been for sale 1 1/2 years,we've lowered the price $120,000 no offers.We cannot afford to live here.We want to sell and move into a adult communtiy condo that we can afford.What is the president going to do to help older people who despritely need to down-size?before we loose everything!

15. David, NY

About four months ago, we heard so much racism going on. In Long Island, there was a Spanish man killed. In Staten Island, there was a Afro-American hurt very severe. We always ignore racism. I agree that we should embrace people outside of our box.

16. Amanda

I am a responsible homeowner who can pay my mortgage on time. I bought a modest home in 2005 becasue I bought into the idea that the sooner I entered the housing market, the less I would pay. In short, I was not able to put 20% down. My home value has dropped substantially and I currently owe more than my home is worth due to foreclosures in my neighborhood.

Though I have a stellar credit score and perfect payment history, no one will touch refinancing me, and there is no way I'm able to sell. If this bill allows me to refinance, I could save around $300 a month, which would allow me some hope for my family's future. I commend President Obama's and Secretary Guitner's foresight. From my perspective, this will free up quite a bit of disposable income. I know I'll put the extra $300 directly back into retail purchases and the purchases of local services.

17. Mike in NJ

If a homeowner does get a bailout or any help under this plan, a stupulation should be made the forbids them from buying another home for a fixed number of years, and any possible income tax refunds will go towards repaying their bailout and a damaging remark made to their credit report so that any future mortgage lender or auto lender will see this and think twice about lending to them again.

18. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Poor Anderson... trying to set boundaries and limits on the speakers

19. Richard

Mortgage bailout!

What's next for this administration, credit card bailout? Upside-down car value bailout? Where will it stop?

20. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Eric Holder's remarks were inappropriate. These are the types of remarks that instigate rather than eliminate the problem.

Someone should tell Roland that he cannot force the races to mingle with one another no matter how loud he yells.

21. EJ (USA)

David Gergen – I think the way we talk about race in the media is much different than we talk about race – from day to day in our own individual lives.

The media does a great job – I think – of approaching various racial issues. That is not the way it is in many people's lives.

22. Daisy21

George Bush was called a monkey and depicted as one in the media and on left wing websites. I don't recall the media making it an issue. If it was OK to portray Mr. Bush as a monkey, it should be OK to portray Mr. Obama as one. I would be more sympathetic to Mr. Obama about it had the left not felt it was OK to label Mr. Bush as a monkey. what is good for the goose is good for the gander. Enough of this hypersensitivity surrounding any criticism of "the one".

23. chad

I bought what i could afford for my family, no one is offering me help. Now my neighborhood is full of rentals with criminal and police presence on a daily basis. Our American dream has been destroyed and now, thanks to foreclosures, we are under 100k on our house. Cherry on top- California wants to raise my taxes and Feds want my money to bail others out.

24. Nick, NY, NY

That statement has Absolutley nothing to do with the security of the country. Why is he talking about race relations? Roland, give me a break dude, you're wrong.

25. Felton

I think most people are missing the point the same way Michele comment was taken out context.

26. Barry

All my credit cards with zero balance have been closed by creditors, those carrying a balance had the credit limits lowered to what my balance is. All of this lowered my credit score. Now I try to refinance and no longer qualify based on credit score. How is any of this going to help me? The banks received a bailout and I have lost. I don't know that I want to see anymore bailouts! All of this has taught me to pay off my loans, save my money and only spend what I must.

27. Brian - Durant OK

Hey Coop, If our US AG believes Americans are cowards then why do black Americans need political correctness?

28. Carmens

On the issue of race, American has come a long way. However, we need to face the issue of race hands down. We can no longer avoid it. We must embrace and talk about it. We have elected a president that is of both Black and white.

29. shirley

The guest comment that lower interest rates will help everyone trying to refinance is bogus. I have always paid my mortgage, I wanted a lower payment and inquired about refinancing; the points and costs associated with the refinance make it cost prohibitive!!

30. Glen Up North

J Lyon, I like your win-win proposition. Hopefully someone in power sees your comment... or hears about it. (Hint hint, CNN? 😉 )

31. Derek Gilbert

I live in a community of 2,000 homes in Chandler, AZ. There are nearly 30 foreclosures scheduled every month and prices have declined 50% in 18 months. I didn't cause this but yet my home is now $130,000 upside down and still falling. I make a good income but it would take over 10 years just to get back to even. I don't qualify for any stimulus programs because I have a high income. Yet I suffer from a high rate and have no options to refinance or loan modify because the equity is gone. My only choice is to cut my loss and let the home go. My mortgage is twice the rent rate for the same home. I am wasting money.

32. Chris from Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Anderson Cooper or David G., It truly is disgusting to see these clowns that run the big American Banks make the enormous salaries that they do when it was the American Banking/Finacial system that caused the catastrophe in the first place. These bankers that were testifying at the Senate last week earned a combined income of $197,000,000.00 last year in salaries for doing a brutual job. They should have their salaries revoked and have that money used toward helping the average american make payments on their mortgages.
    These bankers should arrange a group field trip to visit some of the Canadian Banks, the best in the world and maybe these guys could learn how to run a world class financial institution.

33. dan

Let's see, we have an African-American president and Attorney General but that we are still a racist country in need of therapy? What exactly must occur for Holder to be happy?

34. Robin

Wow, we're now paying people for paying their morgages on time. Silly me I thought that was part of the agreement when I took out the loan. So much for encouraing responsible behavior.

35. Patrick Herron

I want someone to explain just how the banks could be in trouble over bad home loans.
    When I bought my home it was required that I as the buyer purchase mortgage insurance to cover the bank if I defaulted.
    So the bank gets paid and still owns the house to sell over again.
    WHAT AM I MISSING?

36. Mike

I am concerned with regards to the stimulus package. Why are people being rewarded for failing to make their mortgage payment when 90% of Americans are doing things the right way and making sacrifices. It seems that failure is being rewarded with regards to the auto makers and the banks that made poor investment decisions. I say let them fail and good companies will emerge, but being in the middle class I know that I will pay for it with my tax dollars. The rich will find loop holes and the poor don't have money to pay, so again the middle class gets the shaft.

37. Jan

As a single mother who has a mortage within my means and paid cash for my daughter's college education (class of 2008), I have never qualified for scholarships, didn't get any tax breaks for paying for my daughter's education, and have tried to be a good consumer within my means to support the economy. I would love to buy a nicer house (second step), but there aren't any tax breaks for me. I am an honest working person contributing to the economy and never see a benefit for myself. As a resident of California, I filed my tax returns and now I am not getting refunded in a timely manner. I expect the state to pay me interest on the taxes I already paid. I am thinking of getting an attorney and/or start withholding my taxes. Is this an option or would I end up in jail? Maybe we should start prosecuting the people who are running our government and short changing the tax payers!

38. biba

race, race, race...a conversation that will never come to an end. I agree with Roland Martin.

39. Jerry

Hey Anderson,

Did your "experts" really think the stimulus bill would not be complex. If the bill was overly simplistic, I would be worried. I am a Republican, but I am willing to give the bill a chance.

We; yes we, did not get into this financial crisis overnight. There is blame to go around from Wall Street to Front Street. Over a decade of irresponsibility caused this mess; let's give the Obama team at least a term to get us back on track.

40. Brandi - bottom of the boot

i agree with roland. he was educating, not doling out justice.

self-segregation is very common

41. Eric Walker, Miami fl

What do you do if the fund that your retirement is in loses 30-40% of its value? You adjust. What would you do if the home you bought for 500,000 is now selling for $250,000 because your neighbors are losing their homes? Whether you did all the wright things or not no one is going to stay in a house that has lost that much value and pay taxes on that home at that value because of principles

February 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  42. Edward

I am completely disgusted with this entire bailout. The banks who have all the money are getting the taxpayers to help them, when they do not help us. I have been getting rejections from the VA now for over 3 years over injuries received while in the Army. All that happens is that the Vets get the runaround and I have to take money from my medication budget to pay for my VA mandated physicals and then wait for three to four months for reimbursements. I only have enough money to pay my rent and 1/2 of my medications. but if I do not take the physicals, they say I am not cooperating and reject me. But we can spend over 1.5 trillion dollars on the fat cat bankers and crooked bankers and builders. Where is the justice in this country?

If the banks fail, the rich banker investors are hurt, not the small depositor. Who are all the small taxpayers helping? Themselves? No – definitely not. The rich again1 Let's call it what is!

February 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  43. Leo

Why is it so hard to understand? Houses are Too Expensive!! And they still are!!

Why is it so hard to understand! Putting down 20% was and should again be the Norm!

What's wrong with foreclosure? A foreclosed property is truly "affordable" in many places and will be bought by another family.

Why don't you get it? You can not artificially keep the rates at some 5%. Rates will go up and then what??

Why is "American Dream" all and only about owning a home? American Dream is about the ability and possibility to succeed!!

Who is gonna bail out my 401k and IRAs? Who is gonna bail out my son's 529 and ESA? Who is gonna bail out my savings account money that's making absolutely nothing?

You fail, you get up and move on!

February 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  44. Brook

I admire president Obama. He is brave enough to deal with the problems that were handed to him, unlike Republicans that created this mess, doing nothing, trying to stop anybody that wants to solve the issues and COMPLIAN....

Please do not give all your air time to people agianst Obama's plan. There are plenty of peple that their life will be saved by his plans.

February 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  45. Claudie

What happens to the homeowners that got laid off and have been trying to get back to work but is competing with everybody else? Some of us have the years experience, military service, the education and the skills but nobody is hiring including in the healthcare industry. Why is the unemployment rate for African Americans twice the rate for White Americans?

February 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  46. gary

Sabrina there have been other plans proposed. Saw some congresswoman(i think) on Larry King and she proposes – EVERYONE who has a mortgage or is buying a home , can refinance at 4%. Best plan I have heard so far.

February 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  47. Chris

Can we just give the man credit for doing something at all about this crisis? Remember this mess was not of his creation. No, his solutions may not be perfect but there has never been one solution to any problem that pleased all of the people all of the time! The fact that it will help so many Americans is a good thing. I myself will not be helped by this, but I do feel that what is good for some will eventually trickle down and be good for the rest. Let's just give it a chance to work, folks! What is the alternative??

February 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  48. Fred - Washington PA

Roland, I shall have lunch with whomever I please. There is no required diversity at lunch.

February 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  49. Esma

I'm a mutt (half Arab/half white American), so I never really fit in anywhere 🙂

February 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  50. Vanessa, TX

I don't like Mr Holder's comment nation of cowards??
    The fact that this is his 1st national speech was a poor choice of words...

February 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm |