February 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/18/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Andrea

I think that it's great that Obama is addressing issues within his own country immediately as opposed to focusing solely on international relations. No matter what he does, someone will feel ripped off, someone will feel as though it is unfair; give Obama a break and rejoice in the fact that 9 million people who have been hit hard by the recession are getting help. It's a small start, but a start nonetheless. His heart is really in the right spot, and is trying to make decisions to benefit people within his country.

2. Kevin

"who cares who's fault it is"" are you kidding,,,, I care lady,,,

3. Lawiz -San Diego, CA

Hi Everyone,

I am knew here it is my frist time. I have been watching the AC360 show for quite a while know. The show is great, so I thught to check out the blog as well

Lawiz

4. Joe

what happens to us who are laid off and can't afford to pay our utility bills and mortgage

5. Bern Houston

Hi Anderson, welcome back. The mortgage lenders that acted irespondsible, like not even checking their income, and loaned them money for a house of which was way above their means, should not get any bail-out money. Because this is what started the downward spiral to begin with. We should not take our tax money to help lenders who where operating in fraud!
    Help the homeowners that are living with-in their means, but possibly got laid off, or lost their job, and need immediate help.

6. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Fresh blood on the panel. Unfamiliar people...I must blog too much. I need my Gergen fix.

Cooper...question for you that I hope you will answer. When you ask questions how many are spur of the moment and how many do you think of ahead of time? That detail of interviewing always intrigues me.

7. Bridget, TX

I'm trying to understand the anger with the bail out for the homeowners? I don't gain anything from the bill out because I don't fall in any of the categories. But, everyone that is anyone has said the problem with the economy stemmed from the housing foreclosures and so many people not able to pay their mortgage.

So what do people suggest? Should we ignore the problem and let it continue to tank and hurt the countries economy even further?

Oh, I agree with the two guests, we need to help those that we can to get back on track. i know the foreclosures in our neighborhood has hurt us by decreasing our property value.

8. Stacy

So, it doesn't sound like anybody really understands this plan.

9. Debbie B.

Admittedly, this pales in comparison to the more obvious problem with the Post's "Chimp" cartoon, but, what is there to "make light of" when a woman is severly injured by her friend's pet? The story is tragic and should be handled by responsible and factual reporting, not satire.

10. Phil-ME

Frankly, I am sick of bailing out those who made unwise decisions and those who were greedy. Some of us were raises to be responsible and live within our means. Why are we being penalized?

Hi Anderson, thanks for keeping us informed

11. Kathy

The four foot package resulted from REGULATIONS.

12. Eric Walker, miami fl

For those that are in states like NJ or NY where home prices did not rise 5K and 10K a month like it did in Cali and Florida sorry. But if the home that I paid 500K for and put 20% down on and have nieghbors defaulting left and right and investors sweeping in and buying these homes for 250K and paying taxes on 250K. It would be impracticle for me to stay in my home. I would and will walk away.

13. FRANCISCO D. VERA JR

I hear everyone Blame President Obama administration for thier foreclosure problems, by saying why it took so long. Hello it took less than 30days after becoming President. Why not ask the real people responsible for all this mess. President Bush and his Administration who knew about it from the begining.

14. Seth

What about those who rent who paid and are now dealing with being put out because the owner faulted on mortgage payments? Will something be done about this situation? What percentage of foreclosures are putting those who rent on the street?

15. Maura

So let me get this straight: I work my tail off as a single mom unable to buy a house because I couldn't pony up the down payment and wasn't willing to LIE to a loan provider about my income. So now I have to pay for those who did? Meanwhile the economy slips further away and even though house prices dip I worry about taking on a mortgage in case I lose my job. Maybe I shouldn't try to be responsible – just buy knowing the GOVERNMENT will bail me out later.
    This is UNFAIR!!!

16. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Mary from Florida

What would you do if one or both of you lost your job? how would you pay for your home.

Even many government employees have lost their job. I work for the government in California and its a mess...

17. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Isn't that the point, to make it so complicated no one can understand it.

18. Lane Down South

I know the economy is in the tank, and something has to be done, but when does the spending stop? If these spending programs don't work along with the mortgage money along with the bank money, what next? Do we spend $3 Trillion more? There is going to be a point when a majority of the federal budget has to go to interest. What then? Maybe we should spend this money more wisely if we have to spend it.

February 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  19. Mary - Pennsylvania

Hi Anderson,

Why do we always have to gt the Republican talking points? We all know that's how they feel that someone else will be getting a free ride. Give me a break! My husband is laid off and we may be going into foreclosure soon if things do not get better. When will people stop thinking of only themselves?

February 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  20. ron

This is another classic case of the poor man having to bail out the country from high spending companies. I should create a company and then ask for bail out money. Fact of the matter is the government should let these companies either sink or swim.

February 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  21. Bea

It is ridiculous to complain about the compicated nature of the bailout housing bill. This is a complicated problem.

February 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  22. barb Howe

Who is responsible for figuring out who gets help and who lied to get a mortgage?

February 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  23. andy

How will the government know what banks knew they were giving bad loans and which home owners knew they would never be able to pay back the mortgages?

February 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  24. Lauren--NY

I can definitely understand the perspectives of those who feel they have been responsible and don't want to pay for others' mistakes. The overall economy is suffering for this housing issue, however, and I think that this housing issue needs to be worked on for the good of those who have been responsible as well as for the good of those who haven't.

February 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  25. Mike

I worked for one the major mortgage lenders and saw these people buy homes they knew they couldnt afford. I lost my job and still maintained my mortgage current. Thankfully I am employed now but yet I still have to pay to bail others out...

February 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  26. Tommie

I could have purchased a home 3 times the price of the home I bought...but I didn't... because I wanted to be able to "weather the bad times". Why didn't others think of this? Now my home value declines because of others bad choices. America...grow up!

February 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  27. carol

This is terrible for the USA and soon we will not recognise our homeland. I did not overextend my family in a house I cannot afford Shame on those who did. I also PAY my TAXES and Mortgage.

28. Joseph Rodriguez

Hi Anderson! Hi Erica! Hope you have a great show =)

29. sara.OR

Mr Cooper ,Wellcome back ......where from? From future?! 😛

30. carolyn cee yah

HI ANDERSON&ERICA, and you wonder why i always say something
    about those monkey's that you think is a laugh to sleep on.

get my point know why i dont laugh.

31. Bob

I lost my job in July 2007 and have been paying my mortgage with my savings and unemployment. My savings has almost run out, will I be eligible for the new mortgage plan? Right now my payment is $2,000 per month and I only receive $1,200 unemployment benefit.

32. Cameron Frasier

I strongly believe that Sean Delonas needs to be let go... I mean seriously, aside from his last cartoon being of bad taste highlighting unfortunate recent events, it is also very offensive to our current president no matter what type of spin you put on it. I am very disappointed and will no longer buy the New York Post. I suggest the next time Mr. Delonas wants to make a distasteful point, at least have the 'nads not to hide behind an ambiguous political drawing.

Cameron – Ashburn, VA

33. Michelle (Kansas)

hello everyone!..I am a big fan of Gov.Sebelius I hope she is selected. She has done a lot of great things here in KS.

34. Tom of Philly

its just as simple as the forclosure cycle has to stop and its worth money to stop it the lower values of homes go the more we all lose in equity, the more go under water and the tighter the banks freeze lending because the devaluation of real estate makes them adjust the books and need more cash on hand! its a spiral and has to stop because the credit freeze stops consumer spending that stops economic activity which leads to lay offs and more forclosures. i made the right cholce not too much house lots of starting equity fixed loan, but the forclosures will kill me and u and everyone elses finances

35. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you back on air.
    Pres. Obama's plan is certainly ambitious–I hope it succeeds.

36. Debi

Not everyone that will be helped were over extended. I have lost my job and now I stand to lose my home. I feel the housing plan is not going to help a lot of people. it is too confusing, and you will probably have to hire an atty.

37. vincent

Hi Anderson, missed you eventhough John King was a great substitute. Hello to crew, Erica and bloggers!

Vanessa – silver Spring MD

I missed your comment to me last night.

Of course you are right...i am just a big fan and i believed what he said at his press conference. Thank you for making a good point.

On the new mortgage plan, I sure hope my neighbor can now qualify for some help, she's been going through mortgage hell due to a medical problem.

I am also glad that Pres. Obama pointed out that assistance will not go to people who don't deserve help..

I know the price tag is large, however we musthelp each other through this time or we will surely lose our identity as Americans.
    We have done it once, we can do it again, America will come back!.

38. David, Colorado Springs, CO

These people were sold homes that they couldn't afford. They were pre-approved for loans that were in some cases beyond their means. This is not a realtors fault or a brokers fault. This responsibility falls squarely on the home owners shoulders. They are the ones that made the choice to purchase or re-finance their homes. They are the ones that went in to the title company and either read or didn't read the closing documents that state the terms of the loan. They took a gamble and lost. Well as a buyer it is your responsibility and obligation to yourself to make sure that you understand the terms and conditions of the contract that you are agreeing to. When you finance a car do you read the terms of the loan? I know I do. Oh and I am not a homeowner. We make enough to qualify but just because we qualify doesn't mean we can afford it.

39. Judy A YOOPER

I don't get the "COWARD" remarks by Holder our AG. I can not for the life of me figure out why he would say such a thing. Mamma said if you have nothing good to say don't say anything.

40. Jim C.

I am one of the many people who has paid their mortgage on time, never missed a payment even when I was in between jobs. I was raised by parents who lived through the Great Depression and knew how to conserve. You live within your means, period. Why is it that my tax dollars are going out the window to help those who showed no fiscal responsibility and lived high when they thought the good times would never end? I feel like a schmuck! Once again we throw good money after bad.

41. Len Palmer

Retired community – how come nothing is being said relative to help for them?

General circumstances as we all know are:

1. Not employable.
    2. Lost a major chunk of 401K.
    3. Own a home in California with no known lending program that
    has high enough limits to refinance/reverse mortgage.

Much is being said about no aid for those that were not responsible financially. I think the circumstances that will drive baby boomers (huge group) into banckrupcy are paramount but not a part of the focus/dicussions. This is a bigger group than GM/Chysler/Ford. WHY>>>>>>>>>> all this silence?

Do we need the "boomers" to stand in line at the courthouse before anyone cares.

Len Palmer

42. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Bridget, In the last year we've already spent or obligated to spend more than 2X the cost of the wars on bailouts. And we are just getting started.

February 18, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  43. J Lyon

Win:Win solution for foreclosures...How about putting money to pay down current mortgages to their current value with a new loan. However, put a clause in their new loan that makes them pay back the difference between the new loan and original loan when they sell.

February 18, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  44. ericacnn

Re: your surgery, BettyAnn, made me think of an interesting article today in the NYT – many of you prob saw it, too – about young people forgoing health insurance. One woman was charged more than $17k for a 2-day hospital stay – WOW.

February 18, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  45. Wayne Gulfport MS

I am strongly against the bailout for homeowners that should never have put themselves over their heads. Let the system work itself out. Yeah things might get tough but it will get better and people may actually learn not to over extend themselves again.

February 18, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  46. Bea

Real estate brokers need more regulation too. They were part of the problem.

February 18, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  47. Dodie from Irvine, CA

My understanding is the the only mortgages being paid and backed by fanny mae and freddy mack would gain from this bail-out

February 18, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  48. MaryBeth

Obama also mentioned that those who are doing the right thing will have the opportunity to refinance. So that guy working three jobs might be able to refinance to a lower interest rate and a lower mortgage payment.

February 18, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  49. Gary

Fannie and Freddie DO NOT LOAN TO THE CONSUMER. They buy loans from primary lenders. Those primary lenders were pushed into making the bad loans in the first place. Dumb, really DUMB.

February 18, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  50. Esma

I have a feeling that if people knowingly bit off more home than they knew they could chew, that they will probably be less than honest about whether or not they knew what they were doing. How to prove that I assume would be nearly impossible.

February 18, 2009 at 10:13 pm |