February 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/18/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. john, FL

I work very hard and pay all of my bills on time to include my mortgate. Why do I need to pay for all of the wrong doing of others? Why do 80 million have to pay for the wrong doing of others.

2. Sabrina

Everyone seems to have a complaint about the housing plan but no one until now has come up with a plan besides the President. This housing crisis started several years ago, and the republicans had plenty of time to implement a plan. No plan will be perfect as the President said, doing nothing will hurt all of us in a much greater way in the long run.

3. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I don't know if what President Obama did today will do anything, but I hope it will. At least he is doing something.

4. Monica Yarbrough

Respectfully speaking, thus far I've listened to a great deal of descent on the President's housing stimulus. I and my Husband work full time jobs and yes the equity in our house is "upside down". The refinancing is great for us and I believe other hard working individuals as well...

I'm a true fan of the plan!!!

Monica

5. Chris

I'm so sick of listening to people complain about the stimulus package, housing bill, the Obama administration, etc. If the complainers were any smarter they would not have to complain and would somehow figure out a way to come up with solutions to the problem.

6. Dulcie - Denver

Good evening and welcome back Anderson and Erica!

I'm relieved at Pres. Obama's solution. It seems fair. How it's going to be determined who has 'good faith' and who doesn't might get sticky, but I imagine there will be a plan or formula.

I think it's a good thing. Virtually everyone has said we can't fix the economy without fixing the housing problem.

7. Jake Matthews

My wife and I have owned our home for 18 years and we have paid our $2000 mortgage every month. We have had to refinance 3 years ago to make much needed repairs.

Now both my wife and I have been laid off. Besides the mortgage we are paying an additional $1000 towards medical insurance. In this situationhow can we pay my expenses?

I am looking to get a temporary break on our mortgage. This is not handout; not a bailout. I think it is people like me that Obama is talking about..Those with their jobs do not understand this!!

Jake/Princeton NJ

8. Cal

Why doesn't Obama plan have a value cap? If someone has a $750,000USD home and is facing foreclosure, and the average home value in their area is $300,000USD ... why subsidize that?

9. DANIELS

i have a VA Backed home mortgage loan so since i do not fall under fannie mae or freddie mac there is nothing in the plan for me? This is an insult since i served my country proudly in the military for Ten years and this is the thanks i get

10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Glen!!!!
    You're so funny man I read your comment!! LOL!!!!

11. Humberto Caldera

I make good money and I am not in default, but I owe $837,000 on a house that was appraised at $412,000. I have a four arm mortgage and I am trying to work with the bank to lower the principal. What are my chances for that to happen?

12. Sharon S

Well I would hope that the research into the ratio of your income and the cost of your home would show great insight as to who can and who cannot afford the homes they bought?

13. jared bennett

wow i might stop paying my house payment. get maybe 8 months off, plus get my loan amount reduced and a tax rebate on top of that, just for paying my morgage, on time. hmm it might be worth it to trash my credit to get a better rate and 50000 off of my house payment

14. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, I saw the cartoon and in my opinion, I think the outrage is nothing more than political correctness. Pelosi and Reid were the ones who "crafted" the stimulus bill, not Obama.

February 18, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  15. Jennifer

Our homes are on a WWII bombing range in Orlando, FL and our homes depreciated in value in 2007..now its even worse. Every other home in our community is in foreclosure. People are not willing to pay for these homes that were starting at 500K...now they are selling for 200's. Its unreal. Yes, we are in a lawsuit but it may take years before its over. How can we get these banks to modify our loans when they are not willing to do so because of our situation. No one wants to buy our homes!!! Should we stop paying our morgtage?

February 18, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  16. Augustine - Savannah, Georgia

Anderson,
    It is understandable if people are skeptical and afraid of how this plan to help home owners will work. But I think we need to see the details before we conclude. Painfully, it underscores the fact that the government alane cannot solve this housing mess.

February 18, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  17. Cindy

@Erica...I hope that it is answered. I don't see how though that there is any possible way to determine who was or who wasn't in foreclosure through no fault of their own. That's going to be extremely hard to prove IMO.

Cindy..Ga.

February 18, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  18. Marc Greenstein

What about reputable loss mitigation companies that already assist home owners in distress with loan modifications and short sales? Option Next Financial Solutions has already helped hundreds of homeowners in distress to modify there troubled mortgages and also helps to weed out the bad seeds that waste the lenders time. I think companies such as mine will help this economic crisis more so than giving away tax dollars to undeserving parties.

February 18, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  19. Pati Mc

Welcome back Anderson. Hey bloggers, Erica....

Wow, this whole stimulus deal. That is one huge load of money. I surely hope it goes where it is needed...to the PEOPLE.

February 18, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  20. Liane

For all those who "hate" the President Obama's foreclosure plan – what would they have him do? Stand by and watch as millions of Amercians lose their homes, neighbourhoods fall apart and other home owners are dragged under. I understand that outrage and concern over spending so much money but it seems that doing nothing is not an option. Can we cut this guy a little slack – would you like to be making these decisions?

February 18, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  21. Scott

Anderson– Please tell me - why didn't the goverment just give a million dollars to 9 million people. That seems to make more sense than 75 billion.

How am I being too simplistic?

February 18, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  22. Kat

can someone clarify if the 31% is PITI or all debt as a % of gross monthly income? Can HOA or condo fees be counted as part of mortgage debt?

February 18, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  23. Stacy

Unfortunately, there will always be people who play the system and are wrongly rewarded, but that doesn't mean we should oppose this plan just because of that. There are millions of people hurting through no fault of their own.

February 18, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  24. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

no problem coop....we are happily addicted

I haven't seen the cartoon, so I can't judge yet. But I do recall seeing former Pres. Bush portrayed as a chimp many times.

February 18, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  25. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, Megan, everyone blogging. Wow I am surprised by the report that Kansas Gov. Sebelius might be HHS nominee, not surprised that she might be the nominee just by how this report comes in the midst of all the major economic news.

Is the 75B part of the second half of the TARP? Nonetheless a huge amount of money.

February 18, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  26. Bridget, TX

Hi Erica, welcome back:)

February 18, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  27. David, NY

I really feel bad for those people that the stimulus plan is not helping. But I am totally agree with Obama, not to help the ones that knew that they were not going to be able to afford it.

by the way, How come Anderson does not write on this blog?

February 18, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  28. Bea

Putting aside the folks who lost their jobs recently, most of the others bought too much home for their finances. I don't see why the no doc people should be helped at all.

February 18, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  29. jarrod

these numbers don't add up if $2800 one time payment to each tax payer then why would our grandchildren still be paying for this package? what is the interest on this loan?

February 18, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  30. Leo

We need somebody to stand up to the government and all the politicians and say, "have you no shame! have you no sense of decency! You have done enough!!"

My wife and I together have three M.S degree and we work average 10 hours/day. But living in the SF bay area is expensive and we fought hard not to participate in the housing bubble when the prices were outrageously expensive. Even today, it's still too expensive. Only those foreclosure properties are truly affordable and therefore are moving.

People do buy when the price is right! Stop propping up the prices with artificially low interest rates and stupid policies. Even if you can sustain it for 1, 2, or 5 years. When rates eventually have to go up, the same house won't be able to sell again!!

Stop using my hard earned money to help those irresponsible!! Stop destroying my hard earned savings which are earning Nothing in the banks!!

February 18, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  31. Eric from Omaha

I'm with Esma. Dear God please tell me theyve learned their lesson and vetted her better than the rest!!!! Ugh.

February 18, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  32. Mike, Syracuse NY

Anderson, the people who played by the rules (me included) and live within their means are right. Why should we bailout those who didn't read their mortgage contracts before they signed, or were hoping to flip a huge house for a huge profit?

February 18, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  33. Vanessa, TX

Hiya Anderson...def. missed you as well...Mr King did a very good job filling in for you..he did blog alot so... 😉

February 18, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  34. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Good evening everyone!

Yes, John King really did a wonderful job last night!

February 18, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  35. Gary

The liberals compared George Bush to a chimp and I don't recall the outrage then.

February 18, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  36. Ken in NC

Anderson I am sure that there will be many that will try to take advantage of the plan for home owners. It is called GREED. We find them in every part of our society.

February 18, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  37. Renee

Thanks Mike. The property flippers have killed the market. I love when I see CNN's stats. In Florida we have some homes less than 50% of value. Tonight my husband explained to me that we have lost all of the funds we have ever put into residential RE in 20 years! Thank goodness we own commercial RE but that is another can of worms!

February 18, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  38. Sharon S

Candy does a great job of keeing them honest!!!

Back in good form Mr Cooper!!! Great to have you back!

February 18, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  39. Karen C

I've decided apparently NOTHING will make ANYONE happy. Ever. I could not be more discouraged with the attitudes of Americans. I can't understand the contrariness I am seeing of people on the internet (who aren't having any trouble, but apparently don't see it could be THEM tomorrow), the republicans who yelled "what about the home owner issues" two weeks ago and now are complaining about the plan and people who just plain think letting *everything* bottom out is the best idea (and they must apparently be so secure in their lives that they really don't fear being out on the street.) The sad thing is, should that have happened, they would have blamed the the government for doing nothing. You know they would. I'm just plain discouraged right now.

February 18, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi Erica,
    Welcome back too!!!

February 18, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  41. Mary from Florida

What a mess! Who is going to be able to determine who is worthy of a mortgage bailout and who isn't? My husband and I bought a house in 2002 and we made sure that is was a house we could afford, if we had only one income. It is a very nice house, yet modest compared to other "monster" houses in So. Florida. So now the people who just had to have the "monster house", well beyond their means, get rescued...by me. I am all for helping my neighbor, but some people need to fess up and give up the homes they could never afford in the first place. Time to downsize people!! It is the price of irresponsibility. Deal with it.

February 18, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  42. Cindy

@Ashley..Hamlin,NY...I've wondered the same too. I know other nations are going through as much as us but I don't hear about them giving out as much money as us.

Cindy..Ga.

February 18, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  43. Jim

I can only imagine what kind of inflation we're headed for in two or three years with the money supply being greatly increased with these plans.

Get ready for double-digit interest rates accompanying the inflation.

February 18, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  44. ericacnn

Cindy, Mike you pose a good question – one which will hopefully be answered when more details are released in the next couple of weeks. It's also an impt distinction for many Americans.

February 18, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  45. Bobby A

Who does Eric Holder think he is calling us cowards after we just elected a black President and he just got the first position held by a black. What is the issue??? We have alot more problems than what he is trying to make an issue, he needs to do his job not start controversy. Maybe I don't understand the new washington politics....

February 18, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  46. Vanessa, TX

hello Rev. Erica Hill..lol missed you yest. glad your back..you guys have been working hard so very well deserved days off

February 18, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  47. Dan

Solution to Homebailout-
    Gov retains home after death of current owner to resell house. If offspring repays bailout amount plus interest they retain home. Money from sale goes to deficit.

Solution to Jobloss
    Military/ Border Patrol/ Build Mexico Fence etc.

February 18, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  48. Glen Up North

To add on to Isabel's comment: Anderson, yes, John did in fact spoil us with his blogging last night. Nudge, nudge... Kidding. 😉 We know you love it when the show's programming is in last-minute change... which gives you little time to blog. You do often look like you're reading the blog, though, through the webcast.

February 18, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  49. Sharon S

But at least Our President is trying to set all records straight! Finally some justice!

February 18, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  50. Eric from Omaha

Erica, missed ya. Specifics, specifics, specifics. When will they get it??????? The rest of us have to live by this in our jobs. When will Wash'n get in on the gig. Love and support Obama, but come on.

February 18, 2009 at 10:08 pm |