February 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/18/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. jonathan

Anderson that cover on the NY Post is flooded with racism! Even my roomate who is white said there is something wrong with Ron kristy who is apparently blind! I wonder what Ron would say if they put a dead monkey on his door step with his name on it?!

February 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Nattada, Houston TX

Good job for the octoplets report from Texas, Randi. I think we can all see what are the differents between this family and octomom.

I grow more and more fond on Michele Obama everytime I see what she does.

Good night everyone.
    Have a sweet dream tonight. 🙂

February 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  3. JacquiChan

that's so touching to see that young child crying

February 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  4. andy

Diversity? All the kids at the whte house were african american.

February 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Ben

Anderson, great job of calm moderation. Yes, Eric Holder is right albeit too blunt for many people. What he said kind of re-echoed what Martin Luther King said about Sunday being the most segregated hour in our country. The truth is, and I am sure you have experienced it, people find it uncomfortable (cowards) to discuss race matters even with their closet friends and most times do not understand it because they have not lived it.

Ron Christe is a hypocrite and a liar. He does not want to admit the truth and that is just what Eric Holder was talking about. And for Ron Christe to see nothing wrong with the NY Post cartoon is not only absurd but bewildering. My dear David Gregen was most bewildered and disappointment at his rationalization and Republican ideological support at the despicable cartoon.

February 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Sherriannre C Smith-White

I am so happy that our President was at the top of his class at Harvard and remains there in the White House. I think those at the New York Times must have been at the bottom of all their classes.

February 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Rikki, Fargo, ND

The top of the hour already? Time flies when you're having fun! I love Michelle Obama and I love how well she connects with people...she really is amazing!

Good night Anderson, Erica, David, Ashley, EJ, Brandi, Glen, Megan, Chris...I'm sorry I always forget someone...but I am really flattered that so many of you mention me by name when greeting the blog! Thanks! 🙂

February 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  8. Michelle

Maybe the discussion on race and cartoons
    would have worked better with cartoonist who
    specialize in political humor. Then we would
    get a feel for what is acceptable or not.

February 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  9. Jean from York County

When it comes to dangerous animals, people are pretty bone-headed. Humans have a superior attitude and believe they can control all situations even those presented by wild animals. We see this frequently with the pit bulls who are unpredictable but their owners claim that their pit bull is not like the others. That is of course until it attacks its owner, or another family member.

People never learn.

February 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  10. Liz W>

I agree completely with Mr. Gergen and Roland ; the cartoon depiction is racist and was directed at President Obama. There is no other explanation. Your other guest is talking plain rubbish. He knows the truth.

February 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  11. Joel

After second thought, Holder may be right. After all, Soledad O'Brien actual was pissed today on CNN that Black History month was in February – the shortest month of the year. We need a wake up call and move it to July.

February 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  12. Tiffany King Of Prussia,PA

I think that everyone should leave the Octo-Mom alone. That's this countries problem now we're always in somebodies business. If she had those children for selfish reasons thats between her and her God.

February 18, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  13. Ken in NC

Great show tonight Anderson. Good night to you all and I look forward to seeing you all tomorrow night. have a great sleep all.

February 18, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  14. EJ (USA)

Anderson – have you met Michelle Obama?

February 18, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  15. Dave

Shame on NY Times for being so insensitve to history...electing a black President doesn't erase the past, they know better.

February 18, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  16. James in Kamiah Idaho

If the post cartoonist had wanted to make a statement about congress being a bunch of monkies he should have, as we all know as it is obvious enough, penned a congressional meeting, filled with chimps with name tags, one of whom that may have suffered some sort of calamity, and then have someone make that statement. Not a single ape, lying on the ground, and the only problem the artist has with congress being the stimulus package, what has clearly been billed as the presidents baby.

and to your panel… the republican gentleman talking about how we shouldn’t inject race into everything… guess what pal, you should have told that to the artist before he made such an eggregious and grossly prejudicial cartoon strip. And as far as Clintons crack, she doesn't get a pass either, and I as an independant who happened to vote democrat criticized her evenly then; so, dont' assume we all just toss roses behind her.

February 18, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Erica, David G, David in IN, BettyAnn, Brandi, EJ, Glen, Chris S, Ashley, Isabel, Rikki, Pati (Carrie), and best bloggers!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! 😀
    See you on Friday night!

Anderson,
    Welcome back, Have a great sleep at home after work..... See you on Friday night!!!!!!! Take care yourself! 🙂

February 18, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  18. Kathy

I totally agree with Roland Martin. I know we've come a long way, especially by electing a black president, but we've still got a long, long way to go. Eric Holder was telling the truth (and the truth sets you free). I have friends from every racial background. We spend time together (going to movies, dinner, etc.) but when I'm invited to a function with only their family and friends, I'm usually the only African American friend they have. My last comment is don't forget, Obama did not win the presidency by a landslide. There were millions of people who voted for John McCain......knowing Sarah Palin was a heartbeat away from the presidency. I'm not sorry to say this but I feel the majority of the people voted not for John McCain, but against Barack Obama because he was African-American.

February 18, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  19. Renee

Nadya Suleman should take the remaining settlement money that she used to get IVF to help her parents pay for their past due mortgage so her family can have a home. Publicly stating that she is seeking donations or hand-outs is proof that she is looking to abuse the system and profit monetarily.

February 18, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  20. Em

Hi All, RE: Housing rescue plan:

Amazing, I hear more outcry over the 75B of TARP funds going to homeowners together with the plans to shore up the foreclosure issue (which recall is the main issue that caused this crisis in the first place as per both sides of the political spectrum). And now Obama comes up with a reasonable plan to help, and wow, now it's the worse thing ever by many complaints.

I am a retired real estate agent and this is not a simple subject. What I heard today had a lot of good ideas – I was actually surprised because with all the opposing views leading up to this announcement he actually came up with such sensible ideas that may really help.

I am not in trouble, and a homeowner of two houses. What I do know is that this whole mess is taking down my property values. If the TARP funds are going to be spent, I would rather see the money being used in this fashion than being handed over to the big banks with no strings attached – like the first 350B round of TARP spent by the past Administration. Em

February 18, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  21. Kayci

With all due respect to our attorney general, I go to a multicultural church with 5000 in weekly attendance that is 40% minority in a community that is 78% white. There are people in the U.S. who should be recognized for not acting cowardly when it comes to race.

February 18, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  22. Sabrina

Lynne- I agree with you, I never understood why they continue to refer to President Obama as the first black President. He is multi-racial.

February 18, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  23. Raquel

Hi Anderson,

I am very offended by the cartoon in the Post. David and Roland were absolutely correct in stating that most people would see this as a racist depiction of President Obama. Frankly, I don't know what planet Ron is living on. He refers to the way people should think about this while neglecting the history and the negative symbolism of the African-American experience in this country.

February 18, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  24. Ken in NC

You know Anderson, none of us has ever experienced this type of economy before. While many are dead set against President Obama in his efforts to guide us through this mees on the advice of his experts, I must support him as I have no better ideas and I am not in a position to do anything. he was elected our President and while I do not totally agree with everything he has done, I must support him as my President.

February 18, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  25. Karen C

Even if there weren't racial overtones, the cartoon was horrible in light of the tragedy of the injured woman and the chimp. It was grotesque and I can't see any merit in it even in regards to that. It was a bad cartoon period.

February 18, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  26. Aaron F

Ron Christie is definitely entitled to his opinion. His opinion is simply not shared by a majority of American, let alone African Americans. They reek of fear and self-hatred. Perhaps he simply needs to embrace his sexuality. We support you Ron.

In his 16 minute speech Eric Holder celebrated our country as much as he challenged us to bravely address race in our social settings. Christie needs to remember "sticks and stones may break my bones but word will never hurt me."

Regarding the NY post cartoon, it consciously or unconsciously played on several historically racist symbols (1) aligning a chimpanzee or monkey with an African American (2) Caucasian cops out numbering their suspect (4) police shooting an unarmed victim (5) a "beware of dog sign" connected with police.

The fact that these symbols are connected with (1) a stimulus bill championed by and identified most strongly with our first African American President touches a still sensitive nerve around fears of assassination or a fear that America could possibly still stereotype even the President in a Jim Crow-style caricature.

It's particularly curious to me that the cartoonist did not explain this cartoon by simply playing on the perception that the Democrat House "went wild" in adding pet-projects in the stimulus bill and noting that this could be analogous to the chimpanzee getting out of control.

February 18, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  27. JacquiChan

ERICA & ANDERSON
    I hope you guys have a great "shot of the day" to cheer me up- I've had a rotten, crummy day

February 18, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  28. Bridget, TX

@Jason maybe because "the colored" people believe and live with racism everyday?

February 18, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  29. James Thomas

The cartoon in today’s New York Post is troubling at best, given the racist attacks throughout history that have made African-Americans synonymous with monkeys. One has to question whether the cartoonist is making a less than casual inference to this form of racism when, in the cartoon, the police say after shooting a chimpanzee, “now they will have to find someone else to write the stimulus bill.” I listen to the response during Anderson 360’s show and was very disappointed in Ron Christi’s comments. I am a firm believer in freedom of speech, speech that is of sound mind, not stupidity. Ron’s commentary would not be missed should he not be asked to return to the show

30. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

@ David, Indiana~ Thanks so much. 360 has the BEST viewers! I guess that is because they have the best 360 team! Thanks again for the well wishes. I will need them! XO's

31. Tim O

Everyone knows chimps don't make good pets. Just watch "Battle for the Planet of the Apes."

32. Lori from IL

Randi Kaye - I really enjoyed your story on the Texas family. Sounds like they have great parents who are raising good kids - Nice to hear a refreshing story amid all the gloom and doom these days.

Good show tonight, Anderson.

Good night to all -

33. vincent

Thank you Anderson for asserting control with the panel (although it did feel frustrating with that one gentleman who seemed not very well grounded re: race problems.

Another really good night with everyone, especially my fellow bloggers, many thoughtful comments as well as high energy on the blog tonight.

goodnight, hope to blog tomorrow.

34. Debbie

Ron is really out of touch! He needs to get out of the bubble he's been living in. He talks so silly. The cartoon was awful, and Mr. Holder was on point. I know we have a "few" mixed Churches, but very few. Usually on Sundays there's the white church, and the black church period. I think it is very hard for some of us to talk about race, and we need to that's how healing begins, and quite frankly, how it ends.

35. RhondaJ

My daughter almost made the decision to buy a house before she was ready. The realtor and the bank encouraged her. She thought she was being responsible and adult. Luckily, she listened to her parents when we said – you do not have the descretionary income yet. We have to help the people who are in crisis because their situation hurts us. would you deny health care to typhoid Mary because she shounda/coulda prevented the disease? Unfortunately, like it or not we are in this together.

36. Glen Up North

Ouch, Andre, you paint a very grim picture, and you have my sympathies. Though my ancestors were deported and their land expropriated, I have never had to experience their hardships, or the hardships you describe... and I hope and pray I never have to. Neither should others have to experience this, including you. 🙁

37. Tracy

Lorna,

I know it is tiring for some to discuss race every daay, but people of color are forced to deal with race every day of our lives. We can reverse affirmative action and stop talking about racism when racist cartoons stop appearing and when black passengers don't have to worry about being shot by BART police officers in Oakland. As recently as 2000 a black man was chained to a pickup truck and dragged. We'll stop talking about race when these stories stop happening. Until then, we need to keep the discourse going before the random acts of racial violence become a way of life in this country again. It's going to take more than 40 years to remedy 400 years of damage.

38. Adrian

Perpetuating the Race Card and making welfare recipients more dependent on the Federal government just assures that those elected officials get re elected come election day. We need term limits and we need them now. No more life time politicians. Then we can start moving forward in this country when we do not have people like Eric Holder telling people that there are race issues in this country.

39. Michelle

Wow that octuplet story was amazing.
    I don't know how the parents do it.

40. Bob Lawrence

Does Ron Christie live in a bubble or is he in complete denial? I f he thinks that the comments in the New York paper were not racist then he is out of touch. Racism played a big part in the election campaign. Racism in this country is still alive and well. Ask Ron Christie if he ever spent a night in a lower class motel in the deep south. Try it some time if you want to be convinced about the presence of racism.Bob Lawrence
    Fremont, CA

41. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Nice report from Randi Kaye! What a charming family. Kudos to Randi for remembering all the names of those octuplets! 3 boxes of cereal a day...that's amazing.

42. Shane, Las Vegas

What kind of people have such zero lives that they give this even a seconds thought or have to live vicariously through the pathetic Octuplets mom or any detail of that personal life of a sad psychologically frail misguided person....Hello anybody out there with a brain??? LOL

43. Dan, The Villages, FL

The New York Post Cartoon is boasting racism. Of course the cartoonist would say it wasn't intended to be racist (I believe it was intentional). The Republican "monkey in the middle" panelist and Republican "yes man" insulted everyone with his weak attempt to connect the cartoon to anything germane.

44. Bernie

Anderson... Good God, your producers need to screen guests a bit closer... Your guest Mr. Ron C, is very sad, he needs to come down from the cloud of never never land, and see why: White Cops still take down blacks/hispanics with such vigor; Blacks will look down a white person who enters an "urban night club"... Holder's comments were made during Black History Month, he in fact is Black, and he in fact called "us", being inclusive as 'cowards'... You know, if it quacks, has feathers, and flys like a duck... it probably is....

45. Sharon S

Great story on the people with 8 kids but big difference they are married and didn't want anymore!!!

The OctoMom cannot expect sympathy she needs many many years of Therapy!

46. claire-wichita, ks

To Rich–

99 percent??? I think that is a little too high. There is racism out there. I have heard from teachers I taught with in Mississippi, working class folks in Ohio, business professionals here in Kansas, and even in my own family. As I stated earlier, my husband and I are in a interracial marriage. Neither his mother, nor mine took the news of impending marriage with ease. In fact, there was a lot of tension–but we worked through it and are stronger for it. So racism is still alive and well, and not just living in Redneckville. It may not the overt type of the past, but instead an insidious undercurrent that still flows.

February 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  47. Rob

The cartoon of a monkey shot by police with a caption about stimulus bill is an obvious reference to racial point of view. I would disagree with your one guest who explained away any such racial issue. We need to continue to be sensitive to any racism that continues.

As to a chimp who is raised as a human. They are not human. They are incredibly intelligent animals and wild. The injury of the woman was tragic and the result of raising a wild animal named Travis as human is as much a tragedy. As humans we should be more intellegent and show more responsibility for these creatures. Federal laws should prohibit misguided and uninformed individuals from raising wild animals in all states.

February 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  48. Deb

It appears that all the children that came to the white house to learn about black history month are black... here is an wonderful opportunity for the first lady to teach white children black history... I think that would have made a great statement... and a real eye opener for some kids

February 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  49. Uma in Liverpool, UK

@ Mary Ann Walker

Thank you!!

February 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  50. Chris, Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Anderson or David G., In your opinion when the the American government put some overdue pressure on other NATO countries to take the Afghanistan situation seriously, step up to the plate and send some more soldiers. It can't be just up to Canada, the U.S. and the U.K. Where are the rest? Do they not take Terrorism seriously? It is about time they started pulling their weight. Canada has lost approximately 100 soldiers since this war began and if it wasn't for our 3 countries who knows how many other terrorist attacks would be planned and carried out aside from the fact that the Taliban would be back in power. COME ON other NATO members, it is time to take some responsibility.

February 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |