February 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/18/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. em

Interesting to read the comments on race. I guess it depends a bit on where you are sitting. Some communities are doing okay, others have a long way to go in the acceptance area. As far as the cartoon, I didn't need the race issue, I found the violence and cruelty to the helpless animal offensive enough.

February 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  2. Arvilla Ohlde

Anderson: Regarding your GREAT discussion ref. the chip cartoon/was it racial. Is it racial when Michelle "paraded" ONLY black children at the White House for Black History Month? I suggest history is good for all races. Ironic isn't it?

February 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  3. Colin

Re Chimpanzee cartoon:

Your guest, Ron, on the panel with David and Roland was an embarrassment to the human race. I have never before seen David Gergun shake his head in such disbelief at the views of another panel member. Please do not subject us to Ron in the future. Please, please, please.

February 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  4. Zoee - Ontario, Canada

Chimps are not meant to live in captivity so I mean, by having one as a household pet, it is clearly taking a huge risk!

February 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  5. Jacqueline

Don't any of you see, at all, that the very "thing" that ticks you off about what , Holder, Martin and Sharpton has to say on the issue of race, "IS" in fact, "that thing" that they are talking about, which needs to be addressed? FEAR! Fear is a murder. Fear is a hoax. Don't buy in-to it. face it head-on and knock down and out of the way once and for all. How? Confront it and deal with it.

February 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  6. benje

on the octuplets. welcome to america. the only country were all of these children will likely survive the first year of there lives.

February 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  7. CarenS, Denver, CO

Stop this spending madness. The mid-term elections cannot come soon enough. Washington's irresponsibility and wanton disregard for our hard earned tax payments is mind boggling!

8. Casey | Sebastopol, CA

@Cal
    Why would the price of the house matter? What if a family of 5 or 6 is in trouble? That house costs more than a 2 or 3 bdrm. home (the median home) and if in California (or some other locations) the media *isn't* $300k anyway.

I think there should be some limits, but I believe I heard that this won't offset a 50% loss in the home value anyway.... And the biggest issue, imo, is to limit this to folks who are (and have been) living in their homes – not speculators. Speculators deserve to take the loss, since they are the ones who ran the values up and benefited most from them in the first place.

9. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Cooper, Hill, and Kaye...don't you just want to go out and have eight kids?

10. Valerie

I think people find ways to subtly inject bigotry into their opinions. While this may not be the case this time, it certainly makes me suspicious. I'll bet that this artist has never wondered if he is hated or feared because of his color. I'm sure he can't empathize and doesnt see the depiction of a monkey as suspicious at best and potentially painful to the black race.

11. Frankie D

I'm a Loan Officer in Michigan working for one of the leading servicers of mortgages and I am encoraged that there will now be something we can do to help our community. There are many our clients that have been waiting for this.

I think that people who are not in a distressed situation and are not going to be helped by this new housing bill should be thankful, and please count your blessing instead of being bitter.

12. Samba

You're right Anderson, viewers hate it when your guests keep cutting each other off and getting personal.
    Roland, I cannot understand understand why any person as smart as you are would act like a four year-old.
    Ron, I think your attitude is part of what the AG was referring to; look at race in the face and address its issues... you cannot ignore it... this not a nation of cowards (a matter of course), but the point here is to start a REAL conversation.

Samba

13. JacquiChan

a recesssion is not a good time to mother 14 children as a single Mom without a job especially if you are gonna depend on strangers to pay their way

14. Kimberly-Ohio

When is social service going to step in and take the children from Octo-Mom, who is clearly unable to care for them? Again, another person wanting a hand out. If you can't afford to have 14 children, then don't have babies. If you can't afford your home, don't buy a house. Where is the common sense in America gone?

15. Esma

I think the Octo-mom and the Chimp-mom should get together and go bowling or something.

16. Bridget, TX

I'm thrilled Roland was on the show because he said what I would have said. Maybe it's because I live in the south and work with and have friends of all races and I see the racism. I see how we're looked at and treated when we hang out in the others social environment.

Again if we don't admit that racism exists and discuss the issue, it will always be a part of our society. If we're so racially united, why do some think the Secret Service had to increase the Obama's security? Why are there so many schools that won't allow student's to carry or wear anything with Obama's name or picture to school and on the school bus? Because so many children attending diverse schools were being attacked.

17. Jean from York County

Listen people, I know that many are upset with people who made poor decisions possibly getting their mortgages readjusted but think about it like this. If you saw a bunch of people in a sinking boat on the river who took the boat out knowing it was in poor condition, would you just let them drown because they were stupid. i hope not.

We happen to be in the boat with the stupid persons who took the boat out. if we don't stem the tide of forclosures our whole country could sink. Do we really have a need to send a message so badly that we would destroy the country in the process? I hope not.

Let's get beyond this and support the President as he tries to dig us out of this mess created by others but affecting everyone. We can place blame later.

18. Uma in Liverpool, UK

Welcome back Anderson.

Nice going, keeping people from shouting over one another. I couldn't hear that Ron Christie because I was too busy screaming at the telly. Evidently, somebody forgot to tell him; he's African-American.

Roland Martin and David Gergen didn't agree with each other 100%, but both of them know that racism still exists.

I admire Attorney General Eric Holder's courage, for challenging people to not be complacent, about a 'post-racial society', when the USA is clearly not 'post-racial'. Just look at the sub-prime mortgage victims, or who lives below the poverty line.

Who appointed Ron Christie the 'Three Japanese Monkeys' of race? See No Evil. Hear No Evil. Speak No Evil. Pretend There Is No Evil.

19. Glen Up North

I have not seen this cartoon myself, but Jennifer raises a good point: ultimately, only the illustrator knows if the cartoon was intended to be racist. Though, it must be stressed, everyone in a position to share their comments in public should be aware of the possibility that some types of comments may be taken as racist. I once made a comment during a dinner theatre show with two black people from Houston, Texas in attendance (following a natural disaster in their area). I thought that the scripted line I just delivered could be considered racist, and so I looked straight at the two, added a few words to tell them it wasn't directed at them, and they shrugged back as if to say: "We didn't take it personally." My castmates, however, had a field day outside the room, with some literally shouting at me within earshot of the crowd for having said racist comments to them. After the show, I went out of my way to accommodate these two in concern that they might have been offended. At one point in our conversation, they simply answered: "We loved the show, we never took that personally." A little example to show that though the author of the cartoon may not have meant to be racist, he may want to elaborate on his original intent and print a (partial) apology to those who have been offended (even if it was not the cartoonist's intent to be racist).

20. Betty

I thought the cartoon was ugly and only the ugly are gonna laugh at that. How old was the guy who did that?

21. Bea

Randi Kaye's story isn't tugging at my heartstrings. People are angry at Octomom because she is selfish and fraudulent. She not only had no money, she was dumping on her mother already and started to dump on her some more. She lied about welfare. She claimed disability but now is able to do the very difficult work of raising children. She's a fraud.

22. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Way to go Randi! Remembering all their names! 🙂

23. Cindy

Night all!! Glad to rejoin ya on here for a bit! O..GREAT show tonight!

Sleep tight Anderson! get some rest!

Cindy..Ga.

February 18, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  24. xtina, chicago IL

Please. The artist who drew that cartoon was seizing on the stories of the day, one of which is the chimp story . What are the chances that ON the DAY of the chimp story, this guy chooses to slam Obama? It's about the chimp, people. It's about the stimulus and the chimp and tomorrow , no one will be talking about it.

February 18, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  25. Nattada, Houston TX

You did great keeping them in control, Anderson. It is really disturbing when they talked over each other like that.

Wild animals will always be wild animals. If we want to keep wild animals as pets, we have to consider the consequences from doing so. When they act as they should in the wild, it is so sad that they have to be killed because "we" want to keep them close to us.

February 18, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  26. EJ (USA)

Hi–I’m hurt by Mr. Holder’s characterization as part of a “nation of cowards”.

I think if Mr. Holder had not used the word 'coward' his point may have come across better. If you just focus on that one word – then you might not see his larger point. I don't feel a personal attack – when people talk about Americans or America – as a nation of greed or capitalism or cowards or complainers. We are all those things. It doesn't mean that we are not a wonderful country – we are – but can't we take a bit of criticism too? I mean – look at the economic trouble we've got ourselves in. That says much worse than any "coward" remark.

February 18, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  27. Cessy, Chicago

On the chimpanzee segment...very interesting and lots of information. AND there was no yelling 😀

Congratulations on the Humanitarian Award, Anderson! We'll see you back in NY next week? Goodnight, everyone...Be safe.

February 18, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  28. Vanessa, TX

well another great, great show 🙂 Glad to have you back Anderson & Erica
    I hope you guys are back tomorrow....
    Good night my fellow smart bloggers.. 😉
    Good night Anderson, and AC360 crew

February 18, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  29. David Gergen

Hello everyone - wow, what a night! Thank you so much for joining in here with your comments - and I agree with your sentiment that Anderson was right to step in when we were talking about race. If you have a chance to read it, the rest of Eric Holder's speech was fine - it was the comment about a nation of cowards that I thought was just way off base. And that cartoon! I just don't understand why the editor didn't see how offensive that would be to many, many readers.

February 18, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  30. Shane, Las Vegas

Hey, big newsflash...

I and most thinking people learned way back from Marlin Perkins of Wild Kingdom that you don't keep Great Apes, Huge snakes, poison arrow frogs, electric eels or anyhting else that is dangerous, unless of course you are just ignorant or want the ego/vanity fix such behaviour is all about and that is certainly not something the media should be feeding or covering, or wasting viewers time with except iunless it is all about sensationalism and ratings as averse to quality newsworthy time, other than, "A womans pet ape attcked a long time friend and was shot by police today", and now to the national news.

Oh when will we get a real national / international actual national/international events news show that has a beraing on the nation on a daily basis??? One can only hope!

February 18, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  31. Becky, NY

Marjie-I agree with your depiction, bad monkey, bad bill, shoot it down
    I still think there are other intonations that should have been thought about before printing...

32. Deborah Jones

Hello Anderson I Thought the news paper clip was racism and for Ron Christine to sit there and say what he said was crazy I just want to know does he work for the NY POST also Americans are cowards when it comes to RACE. Oh and its not just a Black and White issue its all of us. To Ron just because its BLACK HISTORY MONTH does not change the fact that RACISM STILL EXSIST BLACK PRESIDENT or NOT its like a cancer it never goes away!!!!

33. Uche

Hi Anderson, Good to have you back!
    Not surprised that Mr. Ron advised president Bush in any capacity!Considering where the country is today and Mr Ron's obvious inability to draw simple analogy. Not talking about issues like racism does not make them go away..

34. glenda

This is not the planet of the apes. This the planet of all beings.

35. Dee G

By the way, former President Bush was not black. Comparing him to a chimp was a compliment. Get real.

36. Frank

We absolutely we live in a nation of cowards. I have lived in Texas in the 70’s’; 80’s in Iowa, the heartland of ameria and now live in, CA the melting pot of the world. I have experienced an attitude of racism over the past decades that have left me perplexed. I nod the Attorny Gernal for his comments. We still have a long way to go to overcome racism in our land.

37. Mary

@ Edward – Call your Senator. If he is not inclined to help, get in touch with other Veteran's organizations!

38. Genevieve M, TX

There is no way in hell I would ever allow a chimp (or any other ape-type animal) to live anywhere near my home!

39. Cecile K. Beaven-Rock

The broadcast this evening really charged me. I don't remember when I've been so motivated to participate in a blog. In fact, I'm so internet unsavvy that I usually recoil and thinking about participating on a "blog". However, your broadcast today featuring the Attorney General and the comments by Ron Christie (sp) made my blood boil. As an African American with mixed heritage I was so insulted by his remarks that I still have not settled down. I don't know what credibility this man brings but it it is so unrealistic and outside what I believe that is being experienced in the rank and file of the Black community that it is sad. Though my experiences as a Black woman have not been damaging, I am aware enough to know that most of my brothers and sisters are experiencing continued racism, both covert and overt, as I have with those commiting it unknowing of who I am. Don't tell me that it doesn't exist. Maybe the work "coward" was unfortunate as I believe it was misinterpereted, the message is on target.. I guess may bottom line message is not to please feature Mr. Christie again, however, since he probably has generated such controversy, I suspect I'll see him more than my stomach can bear. Beleve me, his remarks will be muted.

40. Aaron

Anderson,

Has Ron Cristy ? Lost his mind ? Obviously race is still a sore subject in this country as shown by the cartoon in the NY post. all throughout the presidential campain there were people who said on camera that they would not vote for President Obama simply because he is a African-American , If that doesen't tell you we still have a long way to go ,then what does ? ( sounds like Ron was smoking the wrong peace pipe )

41. Janine from PA.

Obviously any kind of monkey, chimp, exotic cat, croc, alligator, lion, tigar and bears, oh my..(sorry) are not pets. If you love them you would never own one put it in a cage or raise like a person. Contribute to agencies that try and help these creatures but never own one Its as simple as that.

42. Susan

What's up with the guy in the middle with the crazy eye. Is he for real? Of course that cartoon is about Pres. Obama. And why do you news shows only show the clip of the Attorney stating we are a nation of cowards? I'm sure he said more than just that sentence. I guess that's the one that cause the biggest uproar. I think people are so upset by the coward comment is because down deep inside that's the way they feel and don't like being called out.

43. Renee

I am totally convinced on this race issue that people see what they want to see and feel what they want to feel. You can't convince them to think about race in any other terms other than their own experiences. Look at the AG for example. In lieu of him being happy and helping woman and minorities grow in their own careers, he feels it is best to criticize all of America. Whatever! The man can't change me!

44. TonyandJill Gordon

Hey Anderson!
    We love your show and you! Personally, we both think the cartoon in the New York Post is a direct threat to the President. Who else is the monkey supposed to be? The person or rather people involved should be ashamed of themselves and arrested on charges of threatening Obama's life.
    Tony and Jill in Seattle

45. Karen C

No exotic animals should be kept as pets. No matter the species. It is not fair to the animals and in situations like this become a tragedy for both the people and the animals. It is simply wrong. I dislike zoos as well. Of course, we keep destroying habitat, but that's another argument.

46. John

I'll be the honest one here. I choose to live in a neighborhood with low crime and good schools for my children. If that neighborhood happens to be mostly black or hispanic I would not care. But it never works out that way. Areas with the best schools and lowest crimes are not predominantly filled with minorities.

February 18, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  47. Daphne

Very good discussion about pet ownership and the responsibility and knowledge to contain the pets so that they are not causing deadly threats to human beings. I really like the speaker from Animal Planet and his honesty about owning pets and legal problems pet owners may have if we are not educated about disciplining our pets and their behaviors. Thanks.

February 18, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  48. Rick and Valerie

The "monkey" cartoon in the New York Post is obviously racist. Maybe the Secret Service should look into the very real possibility that President Obama has been threatened. The cartoon is just not funny!

February 18, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  49. Debbie

Came in on tail end of discussion about the cartoon. Your young guest is showing his age and lack of experience as a black American. I would not expect the cartoonist to admit that he was racist unless he does not want to work for that publication again. I would not expect the cartoonist to say he was insensitive and unaware either but that is evident too. thanks to David and to Roland for setting him straight. Hopefully he will listen to his elders!

February 18, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  50. Andrea

welcome back Anderson! My first comment to your website....Kudos to Ron Kristy (not sure of the spelling) who was on your show this evening! Enough of this "racism" stuff already. I was very happy to see an African American man say the same thing (enough with making everything that a white person says a racist comment, or a racist slur! We need more positive African American men & women like Ron to start changing this world!

February 18, 2009 at 10:50 pm |