February 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/18/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. carol kesling

hi anderson, thank you for getting in the middle of those 2 people talking over each other......... that is very rude !!!! speaking of RUDE eric holder was rude, he should not preach to us. some of us have minds of our own !!!!!!!!!!! glad to have you on our shore, love you and your show, good night to you and erica !!!!!!!!!!!

2. frank in milwaukee

regarding the chat on the cartoon of the two police officers shooting the monkey is not only a referral that can be taken as racially implied but the reality is that it shows that violence is okay if you don't agree now heres going deeper that our officers who serve the communities would even shoot an animal common wake up everyone just because of a disagreement on a stimulas package that our new great president ask too have prepared so as to help us americans enough is enough.

3. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I'm so exciting to see first lady Michelle Obama inviting kids the tour of white house for open house.... That is so awesome!

4. Cathy

Poor Ron, that young man is just plain cluess. It was to the point that this is the first time I have ever seen Dave lose his TV calm. Even that was too much for the poor man.

5. Barbara in Boston

What is all this negativity about the stimulus plan and the help for people facing foreclosure? I understand that the government spending is scary, but remember what we faced a month ago. No leadership, no sense of direction, and no proposed solutions.

6. Al White

i am the President of small corp, we did only 1 mil last yesr , would like to grow to 3 mil & this would pay me the same as my help makes there union, my personal home 2 yrs ago was worth 825 thousand now it is woirth 290 thousand, I am the guareanter of the corp at lots of suppliers, ect. I have never made a late house payment , I browed money from family to not do so! I need help my mortage is upside down 150 thousand & if the economy doesn't pick back up
    with work @ schools/community centers & goverment buildings my corp is going to fail we have been in the no bid for 6-months, sounds like there will be no help for us at the bank ? No body I know is just 5% under water. my equity before this mess was an 47% + now we are at an -34% thats an 81% difference & all the people in central valley of California are in the same predicament!! We need help too!
    why shoud we be penalized for making our debits on time no matter how we were ablbe to do so but we can not last much longer!
    sincerely water up to my lips & drounding soon Al

7. angel sierra

look guys i lost my home in calf and my car too ! and i have a hard time with food stamps and no money at all so were is my help im in mansfield ohio now!

8. Tom of Philly

also the president vowed to drive down and keep down mortguage rates so refinance and get your benefit out of the deal, this is what you all have been screaming for helping individuals not the banks! make up your minds, and if you have ideas or certain groups you refuse to help visit whitehouse.gov and send an email with your concerns, i do

9. sara.OR

I'm not good in maths,the octokids have same father, I supose...right?:)

10. Mike

The US is far from perfect, but I would put our racial relations record up against any country in the world. Name one other country that has created a genuinely better environment for a more positive outcome as it relates to respect for "the content of one's character" without regard for race.

11. Patania, North Carolina

I just watched the segment that included Ron Christie, Roland Martin and David Gergen. I truly feel sorry for Ron Christie because he is living in a world all by himself. I believe you would call him the spokesperson for overlooiking what is blatantly racism. He's that guy where you send him out to speak for us, he's black and he will speak for us meaning those who are racist.

I feel that there should be a law against racist cartoons and advertising. I guarantee you if there was a law that prohibited cartoonist from drawing racial satire you wouldn't have to talk about it. If it was law that you could be sued for things such as this, it wouldn't happen.

As far as the Attroney General, Eric Holder, I agree with him because if you truly look at America we accept one another in the workplace, and in those areas where we are comfortable, but outside of this there is a different America. I'm reminded of the movie "ATime to Kill" when Samuel Jackson's charachter asked Matthew McConaughey if there little girls could play together or visit at each others house.. And if you go to church on Sunday mornings the 11:00 hour is the most segregated hour in this country and we need to change this. Talking about it is a start.

12. Jeff Mayer

Anderson,
    I have seen the video of the basketball brawl several times. The one thing that stands out to me, is the young man without a shirt, that seems to have been overcome by an incredible sense of rage. Whatever caused this situation, should not have had this type of result.
    I worry about that young man, and what the future will hold for him.

13. Ruth

Regarding the cartoon in which the chimpanzee was shot:
    It was in poor taste – extremely poor taste – regardless of whether it was intended to be a racial commentary or not. A beautiful animal was killed because it freaked out and tried to kill a friend of its owner. To use that tragedy and call it humor is sad.

Maybe the writer did or maybe he or she did not intend the racial implications. But even so, it was far from funny and should have been rejected for it's immensely poor taste anyway. It was disgusting even without the racial implications, but anyone with half a brain should be able to see that whether those implications were the intent or not, they were certainly not far from the surface. Isn't that why papers have editors? Aren't they supposed to have at least half a brain?

14. Monica M. Williams

Ron Christie is a hypocrite. Just before the break he blasted Roland for being sensitive. Now he turns around and defends that cartoon. Are you kidding me???? “Ron Christie is the joke.” Now he wants to argue semantics within the conversation. Wake up. It’s racist. Even David Gergen gets it. I just started writing a blog on the cartoon topic this evening “When does freedom of speech go too far?”

15. Bea

I don't think talking about race is the answer. It doesn't work. If you are different, People want to deal with you in this country if you have money. So financial success is the only answer.

16. Jasmin

I have an affordable fixed rate mortgage. For 20 years I have dealt with cars going out of control and crashing into my house and my car, random gunshots that make you dive on the floor to stay alive, gang fights, abandoned houses on fire, drug dealers, drug addicts,crazy people knocking on my door, loud.noises at night from car radios and in the summer time it's too hot for people to sleep at night not to menton rats and roaches. Where is my bailout?

17. Gerry

Having an Ape for a pet is alot like taking out an interest only loan for a house.
    Both seemed like a good idea at the time.

18. Tony

Love your show,
    this comment is for kelly regarding a home this person has enough money to pay it off then there is no problem then pay it off it is nice that you have a great job for how long Hmm. you might be in the same boat like so many other americans

19. David

I paid a higher interest rate on my house because my credit wasn't great. My house has lost almost 30% of it's value since I bought it. (I live in Las Vegas) Do I just stop paying my mortgage so the government will force the banks to renegotiate my loan, or write off a large amount of what I owe? There is no way you will ever convince me that this is fair to us that have strugled to stay in our homes or that it is benefiting me in any way. It's hard enough for me to stay in my own house and now you are asking me to pay for my neighbors that got in over their heads. It's socialist any way you slice it.

20. william

It is very odd that there is such anger at the Stimulus Bill and the Housing Bailout, yet no one is saying much about the 100 billion lost in Iraq. it is being suggested that the Democrats are doing a lot of ridiculous things to destroy the economy yet for eight years we went on a ride and the complainers had no problem or concern for their tax dollars then and that wasn't even their country

21. Michael M.

As a Black person, I was deeply insulted by Ron Christie's feigned ignorance concerning the significance of the cartoon and the Atty. General's comment. He and people like him are the problem.

And Anderson, your failure to voice your own opinion on the subject is indicative of the "cowardice" the Atty. General was referring to.

Horray to Roland!

22. Glen Davenport

I can't qualify for these low interest loans because my credit rating has fallen like a stone. I have made my payments, late maybe but paid. My credit card companies have lowered my credit limits which lowers my available credit which lowers my credit rating. In June 2008 my credit rating was 750 now it is 560. We need to fix the credit reporting and ratings first. Then the people that need the help can at least qualify for. Can we go back to the ratings as of Jan 1 2008 that would help alot of people.

23. Loretta

It's painfully obvious that Ron is in dior need of a lesson in our American history. If he did, he would understand the role of the black overseer.

24. Sue Lavergne

I don't usuallly go to the trouble of writing a comment but as a white person living in Canada I found your program hard to watch this evening. Don Christie is so out of touch with reality when it comes to racism. That cartoon was so clearly racist. Most people would say that they have heard racist comparisons of black people to chimpanzees and to deny that this is so or to say that because he doesn't see himself as being like a chimpanzee does not mean that the majority of the people understand the racist intent of that comparison. Add the words that someone else will have to work on the stimulus package just cements who they're talking about. I found him very difficulty to watch and part of the reason and problem with why racism continues to exist today.

25. biba

TiffanyC...i agree with you i think the guy does not know he is black...it is embarassing to see people like him explain racism...just hilarious

26. Gerry in Toronto

One other point, first time, I've every seen a black man defend racism like the middle guest did tonight.

27. Bryce

Word of praise for Danny Davis. In Nov 1987 Chicago Mayor Harold Washington died suddenly at his desk. His body was still warm when Fast Eddie Vrdolyak and his cronies began crafting the destruction of the Washington liberal coalition through a back room deal. When Alderman Danny Davis was questioned about his interest in becoming Mayor, he stated that out of RESPECT for the deceased Major he would refrain from politics during the time of mourning. He lost out. Eugene Sawyer, a black man, was chosen as a token interim mayor by the Vrdolyak group, just long enough to get Richie Daley elected. He has been Mayor since.
    This is the same Danny Davis, now a Congressman, who refused solicitations by Blagojevich for the Obama Senate Seat. He refused out of RESPECT for the Senate. I think he should replace Roland Burris. At least he understands Respect.

28. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

@Jacqueline! I did not behave while Anderson was gone. Speak for yourself! lol!

29. Michael GA

Holder's comments may have been strong; but regardless of the election, America, holistically speaking, is caught up and in racism. It is sad, but the election only deepened it.

30. Lita

Oh, my. I cant' believe the Octuplet mom Nadia Suleman had the audacity and nerve to recently get artificial nails? How does she have the time? How can she afford artificial nails? Who is keeping her kids while she's at the nail shop? She might as well give those kids up now for their own protection. It looks like she"s asking the State to take them away. Getting nails done is an every two week commitment, at approximately $20 each session, 1 hr each appointment. We are expeccted to pay for her nails also with our tax-paying dollars?

31. Steven

I found the debate on the monkey cartoon ridiculous. Of course a monkey could have racial connotations in the right setting. Racism could certainly be construed in this cartoon if Obama had written the bill. But he didn't. So to assume it was deliberately racist you have to assume the cartoonist didn't know what he was talking about, which isn't impossible. However another explanation (in my view much more likely) is that he was responding to the recent monkey attack and commenting on the ineptitude of our lawmakers. What is hard to understand about that? Which brings me to a pet peeve – "THE BEST POLITICAL TEAM ON TELEVISION". Quite apart from being horribly self-congratulatory, the quality of debate on this issue shows how utterly dumb the claim is. 2 out of 3 guys who can't look at the issue with any balance and insist the cartoon is ractist. I guess it's much more fun to feel all self-righteous than to honestly look at the issue. CNN isn't about news but entertainment.

32. Seth

Race? Race! Yes cowards. I agree.

1. a contest of speed, as in running, riding, driving, or sailing.
    2. races, a series of races, usually of horses or dogs, run at a set time over a regular course: They spent a day at the races.
    3. any contest or competition, esp. to achieve superiority: the arms race; the presidential race.
    4. urgent need, responsibility, effort, etc., as when time is short or a solution is imperative: the race to find an effective vaccine.

Only one may win the Race.
    This word describes our differences?
    This word justifies Racism!
    This word represents competition unfair competition.
    How can we all prosper when the word that is ascribed to us all means only one?

33. Ella

I am a 62 year old professional female-getting ready to retire–My 401K
    was valued at $181,000 10/07-Today-$126,000 -My other IRAS &
    Investments have also gone South. Please ask President Obama
    where is my bailout? My husband and I have never been late on any of our bills during our marriage and have excellent credit & yet we have
    lived within our means-we could have purchased a much more expensive home but we were disciplined & made sacrifices in order
    to educate the children. Now our hard earned money is going to pay
    for the mistakes of others as well as the greed of bankers when at this age of our lives we should have been able to enjoy what we have worked for all these years so it isn't just about the people you talk so
    much about being under water–how about the people that are under
    water in their 401Ks and IRAs-what is Mr. Obama and Congress going to do about us–Where is our Bailout?

34. Joy K

Absolutely Not -no reference to racism . The chimp or monkey has always symbolized stupidity to me and anyone I know. The ape.. being the " the lesser primate" the dumber between man and ape" . thats all – no racism. Where anyone draws the conclusion of Racism is beyond me. I am surprised that David Gergen a very wise man would draw the conclusion of racism. Roland however will find a reason to defend African America when there is no one attacking.. thats just what he does and he does it consistantly.

35. Farmer

The NY post cartoon is a pretty simple way of saying that the stimulus bill is ridiculous. Letting racism go is not an easy thing to do, but we will never let it go unless we LET IT GO!

If a monkey hadn't been shot within the last 24 hours, then yes, this would have been a suspicious commentary, but sometimes the simplest explanation is the right one.

With multiple ways to interpret ANYTHING, it seems unwise to pick one and refuse to see other possibilities.

36. Jacqueline

Than allow me to do the insulting: We are a nation of cowards!

37. Ronda

Wow, I'd love to know where this Ron guy grew up. Certainly not in the same America has most blacks. There's nothing that I've heard him say that points to being a "proud African American man" as he stated he was when he spoke on the NY Post's cartoon tonight. His sense of belief is so far from what the majority of blacks believe about either of the issues that were discussed tonight. I feel Roland's frustration. Roland asked Ron, "can't he see" the racism in the Post's cartoon. Even the white gentleman (I don't know his name) could see it. Oh, well, Roland, obviously Ron needs some corrective lens to see anything straight as it pertains to his fellow African Americans, perhaps he needs them to see anything straight.

38. Chris Warhol

Anderson,

Why doesn't Barack Obama help to lower home mortgage interest rates to 4% to help people like myself who have not defaulted on their mortgage but are looking to re-finance. I have good credit and pay all my bills on time, but recently have less income due to the economy. I am not looking for a hand out and want to pay off my home before I retire.

I hear this wouldn't cost the government anything, would not raise taxes and would help to stimulate the economy right away.

Chris Warhol
    Seattle, WA

39. Kikin

It is hard to fix the problems caused for the corruption in the real estate market. Everybody saw the rampant corruption and they did not do anything. It is hard to believe that 12+ People that review a loan process (included real estate agent, brokers, loan officers, HUD, underwriters, processors, appraisals, loan officers, fannie mae, Freddie, Wall Street, SEC, FBI) did nothing to stop this corruption.
    Any how, everybody is guilty and everybody has to pay, some people will pay less another more. I am sorry but this is the price of the corruption. Wall Street stole 3.5 Trillion Dollars During the Internet Buble and they were not prosecute. They stole 5 Trillion from the real estate and they will not be prosecute. They will get the tax payer money for bad behaviour but this is the way that the democracy works.
    Probably, the people that live over their limits will continue doing the same because they will receive help and the people that live by their means will not receive help but that the way that this system works.
    I wish everyone good luck and a better future for our children.

40. ivory

when the president is no longer a man of color but a man we judge for he's actions on how he leads this country. Then we will stop being a nation of cowards.

41. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

My advice for Suleman is, "don't have any more kids!"

42. Renee O

You're kidding right? The cartoon about the police shooting the monkey...the point of the joke is that appears that a monkey wrote the stimulus plan. The jab is at the House and Senate or maybe an insult to primates (comparing them to the Senate for shame). Is there not enough going on in our world for CNN to report on? Do you need to give nonsense like this air?

43. donte tisinger

I just don't know what to say. Ron is a lost soul we must pray for him. The uncle ruckus character from the Boondocks just appeared on your show. I hope Micheal Steele won't be a token like Ron.

44. tim smithwick

Here we go!!!!!! Was wondering when everything was going to be race related and got my answer tonight watching your show. Why does everything need to be race related? Get over it!!!!!!!!! You are just pissing off the average person that were over it. Every body has same opertunatiy as any other in USA.

45. Sharon S

I agree totally these people need to be under laws that will control animals being taken in by just anyone!!!

This is a very hard job taking care of and learning to deal with any wild animal!!!

They ARE NOT children they are WILD animals!

46. Al

That Ron is a disgrace–I am sickened everytime I see him. I would rather not see him or Steele during the next 4our years.

Really like your show!

47. Todd Pendley

I really need for Mr. Cooper to be able to read the whole letter. I respect and value high opinion and show. I believe he will see the true value of my letter. I will be happy to come on the show via phone and debate anyone who would like to argue against any part of my letter. Thanks

February 18, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  48. claire-wichita, ks

Further regarding AG Holder–what about the fact that the most segregated hour in America is Sunday morning. I am a white gal married to a black man and I can tell you trying to find a multicultural church is darn near impossible. I also don't think that as some has suggested he was targeting just white people–both, like Roland suggested, we all have to reach out to others.

February 18, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  49. Tim O

Shouldn't we be teaching AMERICAN history? Not dividing it up by race?

How can we tell kids we need to come together as Americans if we teach them that each race has it's own history? And that they get 30 days?

It's AMERICAN History and that includes all AMERICANS.

February 18, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  50. Marium

Yes, let’s just talk about the positive and not the negative…are you kidding me? “The problem of the 20th century is the color-line”, as W.E.B. Dubois wrote, and has now spilled into the 21st century. I agree with David Gergen, that Obama has opened up a conversation on race that we haven’t had before. However, I have to agree with Roland...now we have to take the next step.

Slavery was abolished, schools and establishments were integrated…yet we never addressed the underlying foundations of American society. Laws can change, that doesn’t mean people’s mindset automatically change.

February 18, 2009 at 10:47 pm |