February 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/18/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Brenda

My husband was a homebuilder making good money, and I also work making decent money. We could afford our home. Then, due to the housing market, my husband lost his job. He found another six months later, worked six months, layed off again, found another four months later, layed off again. Seven months this stretch. I'm working two jobs, bills are piling up, paid this past monthsmortgage on our credit card because it was the only way. Do we get help???????

2. Paul

Welcome back Mr. Cooper:

You know listening to the spirited discussion between your panel on the AG comments and the NY Post magazine, I realize that we still have Looooong ways to go even among members of same race in dealing with race. It seems that we are all on different stages of this continuum i.e. a race-blind/perfect union America. I just wonder what can be done to bring everyone to par because there is just so much at stake at this "defining moment" for us to be posturing or bickering about race. people are losing there jobs by the hour, millions with no health insurance, etc. And you know what this issues know no color. maybe the spirited discussion is part of the process but it kinda leaves a sour taste

3. Rob

About today's announced mortgage bailout, here is another great example of America heading dangerously toward socialism-using the wealth and funds of honest, hardworking citizens who play by the rules of financial management and mortgage underwriting to bail out those who don't play by the rules or are looking for a handout.

" Redistribution of wealth"!!

4. Lynda Innis

I am a 40 something white woman who voted for Obama and have high hopes for the country. I agree that we need to talk more about racism, but I just did not see the connection between the chimp and Obama. I actually laughed when I saw the cartoon. Equating the chimp with an idiot, not Obama. Seems to me that the people that this raised a racism red flag with might want to examine their own feelings. Are they the racists? I completely missed the boat and maybe that is a GOOD thing.

5. niwat, Chicago, IL

@ Mary from Florida, it doesn't sound fair in your case,but u know what, I think you are doing the right thing by purchacing the property that you intend to live in. The housing market is fueled by the flipping-out business, the price of house is inflated largely because it was over marketised by the broker and the mortgage was approved too easily.

The chimp cartoon was taken politically too seriously..Let me tell you about my racial issue..u know having a moderate melanin in my skin ( yellow ) is the new black! i wasn't offended or anything when i get ignored until I was mistaken for a Chinese. hahaha

Hi, Anderson ( warm welcome back ) EH, casts and bloggers

6. Judy A YOOPER

Lions...Tigers and Bears... Oh NO!! Obviously they are good muscle builders. Go Dave. 🙂

7. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

It's unfortunate because chimps act so human-like, it's hard for you not to treat them like a people. Sad story. I feel for the woman, the injured woman, and the chimp who had to die so horribly.

8. Leschelle

What does a chimp and the stimulus package have to do with one another? The New York Post should be ashamed and they need to put out a public apology for their laps in judgement. If it was suppose to be funny, I'm wondering who's laughing...

9. benje

could you imagine how frustrated that chimp must have been living with that lady.

10. Ken

To Ann, I don't think that you should regret helping to elect Barack Obama, but you should not think that doing so means that America is now w/o racism. I doubt that Mr. Holder was saying that all whites are racists.

11. Darrell

Anderson I just watched your show pertaining to the Attorney General's comments. While I fully understand and agree with most of his comments, his choice of words were on target if he truly wanted the discussion of race to get the level of attention it has been given in todays media. However, I do not know where you guys (CNN) came up with the worlds most naive individual, but please do not invite Mr. Ron Christie back on your show. He is absolutely no value added. Dave Gergen on the other hand is without a doubt a true professional and a class act. Roland is Roland and he calls it like he sees it , almost unfiltered and that is much appreciated.

12. Adriene

Our country will never get past racism if people can't discuss it openly. Holden's statements were accurate. We need to face the truth. Ron, I believe that is his name, is "daydreaming". Everything isn't about racism, but this conversation was exactly about that. The sooner we face our issues, the sooner they can be addressed and then possibly put behind us...and then, we can stop talking about it. I look forward to that day.

13. Emanuel

I am very excited about the foreclosure prevention bill. It's going to be extremely difficult to weed out the all of the people who probably should not get assistance, but the alternative would be not to help those who bought responsibly and just fell on hard times. If we look at the big picture, the less foreclosures we have, the better things will be for everyone and the economy.

14. Sam M., Eugene OR.

Good questions for the wildlife expert. I was thinking it would be another interview where wildlife experts say wild animals are not meant to be in human homes.

well said dave.

15. Jackie NC

I have been listen to the news about the racial article that was in the NY Post. Roland Martin had the right comments about both issues that was discussed to night . People really are not being honest about the race issues that are much alive in American. Yes, American are cowards when its comes to discuss race. Every day in the work place we leave and go into our world and we as people don't invite others culture into our homes or personal space. People share race at work not into their personal lives. We are just as separate when it comes to race.

16. Tracy

Judith Johnson, you used stronger language than I would have chosen, but you are right on the mark. Someone is in serious denial about his racial indentity, how it is perceived by others, and how they treat him as a result of that identity. I completely understand why Roland Martin was so heated–I felt exactly the same way watching Ron express himself.

17. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Yes! Anderson there should be laws to keep the exotic pet industry out of business! People and animals need to be protected.

18. Casey | Sebastopol, CA

With respect to those who claim that because "congress" wrote the bill that the cartoon isn't about Obama - it's Obama's bill and everyone knows it and the Republicans (and likely you who question this) will be the first to point at Obama should the stimulus package fail.

As far as the "coward" statement from the AG, it may have been a bit harshly put, but the truth is in there - we don't face such tough topics until we are forced to. For some, that is more true than others... and you can apply that to a LOT of races, not just blacks.

One only look at the recent election to see how a name prompted many to call Obama a terrorist or muslim or whatever misguided stereotype their brand of hate targeted.

19. Joe Meyers

The cartoon you've discussed is being twisted all out of shape. It is common to criticize undisciplined work by comparing it to something done by monkeys. There's a great and funny commercial that is shown frequently featuring a guy who is working as the only human in an office staffed by monkeys and he laments, "I work with a bunch of monkeys". I cartoon in one of our San Francisco newspapers a few years ago depicted a tree full of monkeys and compared it to our city's Board of Supervisors. Nobody thought that was racist.

The stimulus bill is being criticized as being grossly disorganized and needlessly complex – as though it was written by a bunch of monkeys. A cartoon making that point is no more racist than the commercial or cartoon described above.

Are we to assume that the use of monkeys in political cartoons is out of bounds while President Obama is in office?

20. DonRoberto

HOORAY ANDERSON!!! for controlling the speakers. Saw panel with David (great), Ron (what a breath of fresh air, bring him back, I totally agree with him), Roland (needs to go, tired of his smirking, laughing, rudeness). As a Hispanic, I am feeling racism more than ever. But need to fight it in a decent, intelligent manner.

21. BC

I know this will sound trite, but thank you for stopping the gentlemen from talking over each other. I have actually changed the channel from CNN because this drives me nuts. I want news & info, not arguments.

22. Ralph

Wherever that Ron guy is from, he needs to crawl back in the whole. He's living a fantasy

23. queenie

The New Post is unbelieve, and i did not get the joke. Ronald Martin was on the page i was. The other guy, he must be on a different plant. If that was not racism, then somebody tell me what is was with a monkey.

You go ronald martin, good job anderson.

24. Marcie

Why is Christie on your show? He is so out of touch. Love David and Roland.

25. bente

Reckless and irresponsible homebuyers who got in over their heads to begin with shouldn't be rewarded. now with lower interest rates and principal reductions...people who are struggling due to job lay offs and conditions brought on by this economic downturn, who could and did manage their mortgage prior are the ones who should get the break.

26. Jacqueline

Ron Christie is an embarrassment to the black race. Surely, he has been misguided. A little history lesson for him, Rev Buckner Payne in 1867 referred to the Negro ethicnological status as one compared to the baboon, monkey, arang a tang. etc. It is no doubt that the cartoon in the NY Post was racist. They know it and so do we. I compare Ron Christie as one compared to an Uncle Tom.

27. Brandi - bottom of the boot

the owner of the chimp made me sick when i heard her screaming for them to shoot him. she says he is like her son but is begging them to shoot him????

hmmm...200+ pounds? that guy sounds and looks really cute! lol

animals are animals. i love all animals, but they need to be handled responsibly.

28. Shalia B.

I am so glad that Mr. Holder has finally gotten to a place where he can speak his mind and say what most of Black America is feeling. Lets put it out there. Most people have issues with one another. The sooner people put it out there and start a dialogue about it, the sooner we really can work togther. Maybe if we would confront the issue more then cartoons like that won't run in the NYPost. Thanks you Eric Holder for speaking your mind and sharing the views of many, many people in america.

29. Dyan Venters

I agree with the fact that Americans are not ready for personal relationships that cross racial lines. It is not the norm in this country. The only state where we have true race and economic crossover is in the State of Hawaii.

30. lisa

Where did you find this gentleman Ron Christie? Was he raised in another country? He can not be real about that cartoon picture was not racism. He said he is a proud black man and he can't understand how we try to claim everything is racism. I can assure you that he has encountered some kind of racism. He is just fooling himself. He is someone that has been educated around white people and has forgotten where he came from. Rollin's comments were correct. In my days Ron Christie would be called an oreo.

31. Tom of Philly

well i guess with the value of real estate in upstate ny you dont have much to loose, my family is from up that way, also most loans are conventional there, but still ALL our homes value rides on reducing foreclosures, dont do it for them do it for you do it for your company which could lay you off if credit freezes further, WAIT president obama is using the money PRESIDENT BUSH APPROPRIATED and set aside for him under tarp so now you too can blame president bush for the housing bail out not president obama. is the good of the country that far removed a concept from you ? This is about reworking loans on the standards of conventional fixed mortguages 28to 31 percent of income, and the overvaluation of real estate is no persons fault its the mortguage lenders fault for releasing all that money that drove up prices, ok lets just do nothing and see if we can get a total collapse of the economy, pass me that bong i want some of what you are smoking

32. Paul

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area arguably one of the most diverse cities in the US. What Attorney General Eric Holder said about the US being a nation of cowards when it comes to race relations could not be more true. Yes I have all types of friends white, black, latino, you name it. It is a sociological norm to tend towards those who are most like us. I do believe we as a nation are a very cowardice when it comes to diversifying our company, but believe we are headed in the right direction. I believe our minds have been opened since Obama became president, but believe it will take some time for our hearts to truly reach out to one another.

33. georgina

Race controversy.........We Americans need to start looking through Ron's eye .Roland thinks everything is about race he is so wrong.We have a Black President now .The best candidate won . Roland needs to start thinking like Ron so our kids will have a better future and not grow up looking at everything like Roland .Ron keep it up .You will make a difference.

34. Linda

Anderson: Thanks for immediately"calling" the panel on talking on top of each other tonight. I wrote to you several months ago asking for you as a moderator to put a stop to that behavior.

Here's a thought...God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason....humans should listen twice as much as they talk.

Thanks for maintaining control of your guest panelists. I appreciate the fact that I can hear and understand the differing viewpoints.

35. Joe/California

The article in the paper relating to the monkey being shot which is referring to President Obama, now add the song that Rush Limbaugh is playing, the Monkey in the White House.
    Now think about some of the recent hate crimes and mysterious murders down south, with KKK coming back in the surface of the publics eye. and remember they don't always wear hoods, but badges, court robes etc.....

So if the Attorney General decides to speak on Race relations, he will have a harder task if Americans don't come together to fight the evil of Racist of all forms and at this point is being point straight at our first African American President. He's been office less than a month of a 1st term 4 years if not 8 and we're bickering that racism in all facets of life isn't important to deal with. While deal with the wars aboard when we have our own wars at home.

36. Maria Alexis

Hello...I would just like to say that some people lost their homes due to fraud, lies and misrepresentations, not just by the predatory lenders, appraisers and loan officers, but by the real estate agents as well. I think monies should go towards legal help (legal aide will not take these cases ) for the people that have a solid case against these people and/or companies.. So far I don`t see any of these people or companies being investigated. It seems that everyone is getting away with everything. I was a victim of a real estate listing agent misrepresenting the home I bought which cost me gross economic losses.She even admitted to doing it. Where is the Real Estate Commission or the Attorney General and how involved are they in bringing these people and/or companies to justice ! They should never be allowed to work in the field again.

37. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't think that humans really appreciate what animal instinct really is and how it can manifest itself.

38. John

It' a shame that the country is going down and all we can do is argue.
    Why can't we throw away the BS and get down to bussiness of doing something for the people of this country. Black or White, we are still a part of AMERICA!

39. Gerry in Toronto

Not often I totally agree with David Gergen, but I did tonight. His comment of "what is it a full moon." describes exactly what I thought as well.

The cartoon was clearly racist which isnt a surprise considering Murdoch owns the paper. And Eric Holder has a lot more pressing problems as does the country than to bring up this conversation.

40. James in Kamiah Idaho

The Cartoon was clearly, obviously, blatantly riddled with racial undertones, if not overtones. Two white cartoon cops are standing over the body of an ape, chimp, gorilla, wehathave you, and the one makes a comment about the stimulus package. While the pres may not have written the whole thing, he damn sure had control of the contents, and editors are just as responsible as the journalists who write their articles.

If he had wanted to make a statement abotu congress being a bunch of monkies he should have, as we all know as it is obvious enough, penned a congressional meeting, filled with chimps with name tags, one of whom that may have suffered some sort of calamity, and then have someone make that statement. Not a single ape, lying on the ground, and the only problem the artist has with congress being the stimulus package, what has clearly been billed as the presidents baby.

He knew, he knew, he knew EXACTLY what type of response he would get and showed he didn't care..

and to your panel... the republican gentleman talking about how we shouldn't inject race into everything... guess what pal, you should have told that to the artist before he made such an eggregious and grossly prejudicial cartoon strip.

41. Sharon S

It is kinda like people who take Wolves as dogs and try to raise them as so! It is wrong and just not ever going to work! They need to be what they are!

42. Angela

I agree with your guest that racism isn't at the core of every American issue/cartoon/joke. People need to lighten up and take a political cartoon for what it's worth – a joke about current events. Thank you for talking about this.

43. Bern Houston

All chimpanzee,s, as well as lions or tigers, should not be allowed as pets. Sooner or later, things like this, being malled by a chimp. happens. It is really sad. Their behavior can't be predicted, so that is why they should be in zoos are in their on habitat in the wild. I love animals, but they should have their place!

44. Matthew, Storrs, CT

I believe that anyone who reacts to political cartoons with any sort of serious defensiveness must take a lesson from our ex-president Bush. Grow thick skin and ingnore it.

Racial politics is only prepetuated by racial political over-awareness. This is to say, that if you take notice to a possible "racially charged event" it will spark unnecessary conflict.

There are individuals out there such as Sharpton who would lose their importance if racism disappeared. It is their perogative to prepetuate the animosity between the supposed "races." I would be impressed in AC360 questioned these clear over-reactions but there is only so much time for American concerns such as these. Good night and much luck to you.

45. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Good evening Anderson,

Apparently, welcome back!

Very tragic to hear the woman calling for help! Wild animals should not be raised by humans...Listen, I have three small dogs and I have always said an animal is an animal and you just never know what goes through their mind!

46. Sandra Sokowski

About the chimpanzee discussion:
    As a literature scholar, I would like to question Roland Martin's and (the other guest whose name I forget) reading of the cartoon. Although there is a racist tone to the depiction of a primate where a human should be, there are other uses of the monkey image. For example, several writers from Africa have criticized the post-colonial imitation of European culture by black Africans, and often this is depicted with the image of a monkey, who imitates what he sees. (Furthermore, by imitating the European culture, the black African would also be denying the nobility of his own background, and reinforcing the idea that the AFrican is from a less "civilized' culture, which is a basis of the primate image for those of African descent.) The chimp here could very well be a representation of mindless imitation, apart from racist undertones. I am not denying racist undertones, but I think there is more to read in that cartoon than just that. Remember the song "Monkey Man" from Toots and the Maytals? They were criticizing mindless imitation.

Although I do not agree with some of the criticism of Obama that he is a tool of the democratic party (critics have cited his choice of Clinton bigwigs in his cabinet) I think the image of the monkey here could also be in reference to his catering to very liberal ideas of the Democratic party. Let me be clear. I supported Obama even in the primaries and I am thrilled that he is my president. However, let's not oversimplify criticism of him. He even stated that he welcomes opposing viewpoints, and I assume that also means criticism of his projects. Yes, there is racism in that cartoon, but there is more than that. Let's not simplify things by only focusing on racial issues. We (as a nation of many colors) are better than that.

February 18, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  47. Karen

Holder should consider the many other forms of oppression co-existing with race–anti-semitism, sexism, classism–to name a few. We need to stop the race, gender ,etc. talk. It only serves to promote racism. When we no longer need to categorize people according to race, gender, sexual preference, religious belief, ethnicity, marital status, etc, when we can refer to people of this country as Americans, when we stop abusing the word "race," as I believe Holder has done, then we really will have acheived the dream of tolerance and equality. Holder should take his comments back and apologize to other disenfranchised groups in this country.

February 18, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  48. Dee G

I am white, almost 60 years old. As soon as I saw the cartoon in the Post I thought of two things: 1) the chimp is a representation of our President and 2) this advocates violence – shooting a leader because we disagree. It made me sick. It is unfortunate that Ron is so Republican that he cannot criticize or accept that wrong can come from any one – regardless of political affiliation. I will no longer listen to him. He has never criticized anyone or anything from his political party. He's quite blind. It is really very sad. Wish CNN would find someone more reasonable to represent the party.

February 18, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  49. Josh

Dogs = house pets
    Cats = house pets
    Chimpanzees =/= house pets

Period.

February 18, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  50. Lauren--NY

When are people going to start researching what the *experts* say before they try to domesticate animals that should not be pets? This was a tragedy all around, but it could have been avoided.

February 18, 2009 at 10:45 pm |