February 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/18/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Bill

Ron Christi(sp?) is completely clear headed and correct....it was a joke based upon a current event. Let's stop looking for racism in everything around us. To paraphrase Sigmund Freud, ...sometimes a joke is just a joke........

2. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Chimps are "wild animals" They belong in the wild! Hello!!! What could be more simple than that! Depending on the metabolism… xanax could have the opposite affect

3. Donna

When are we going to get passed the black/white thing and realize that there are good and bad people of every color?

4. Dave

Lets all grow up, and stop holding back progress by seeking racism in everything. America, lighten up. Take a joke as a joke.

5. xtina, chicago IL

mark's comment is right. If the artist had meant to depict Obama, he or she would have made it like caricature or a likeness.

6. Bea

I hope the person who is hurt recovers and sues that woman for everything she is worth. These people are like the pit bull people. They don't care about their neighbors and others who could be jeopardized.

7. Darren

I agree with that Canadian guy.
    You dont keep wild animals!

that guy did a show in South Africa and with lions and when he says dont have chimps, DONT HAVE CHIMPS IN YOUR HOME!

chimps are scarier than lions!

8. Jean from York County

I've heard of stepford wives, but evidently the Republican party has now hired stepford blacks to speak for them. The chimpanzee cartoon was clearly racist and anyone who lives south of the Mason Dixon has heard the term porch monkey as a reference for blacks used routinely by white truckers and motorists as they drive by blacks sitting on their front porches.

Just as the President has said, bad habits are hard to break and the implication that just because we now have a black President means that suddenly the country has done away with racism is ludicrous. What it does mean is that thankfully, now the racists who once were a majority are now themselves a minority. Problem is they are still a strong minority that can't help but unleash its true feelings from time to time.

9. Jacqueline

@David, NY, the stimulus won't be helping, at I really am too, jaded these days to even care.

10. Harris

Roland cannot tone it down and have a civil discussion, so let's hope that is his last appearance on the show. We need more Gergen!!!

11. melvin

Hello Anderson,
    The panel missed a key fact. President Obama has already been portrayed as Curious George. The NY Post clearly must have known that fact prior to the publication of this cartoon.

12. Paul

I do not belive the justice department should be telling me, even hinting of who I socialize with in my spare time. I mainly like to be alone on the weekends to do my thing and when I do socialize with friends I think it should be my choice and not the governments choice as to who I invite. When the government starts telling me who I can have as friends, we have gone way too far...this will be the true 1984!

13. charlie

why do you have ron christie on your show or any other .he is ridiculous.sad!

14. Susan

I'm tired of hearing critics lump everyone with mortgage troubles into one big irresponsible group. Yes, there are people who got into houses they couldn' t afford. However, I know many responsible, hardworking people who are having tremendous difficulty making their payments. For example, a friend's mortgage difficulty didn't begin until taking a pay cut at her airline job.

15. Rick Jingle

I would have never thought of the editorial cartoon as racist had someone not pointed it out to me. I am so much against the current bailout that I would have thought that calling the authors of the bill a monkey would be an upgrade.

16. Gary

With all due respect to Ron Guidry, I believe he is proud, but everything else about his public self description is in question. His slanted "opinion" to his interpretation of the New York Post Cartoon fails to acknowledge the history of racism in America.

17. LPL

I just saw the segment on AC360 and while I understand Ron's comment regarding not equating the chimp with Obama or a black man...can you possibly see the parallels between the symbols of the white cops in the cartoon and the epidemic of UNARMED black men being shot by cops in big cities around the country?

18. Lin

Anderson,
    The NY Post Cartoon is insulting. I watched in amazement as Ron Christie tried to excuse the NY Post action! He appeared so out of touch with reality. I am still sitting here saying WOW! This is my first time blogging... I just had to. WOW!

19. Edward, Boston MA

The cartoon showing the two police officers shooting the chipanzee, was not a racially motivated cartoon, but rather it was pointing out that the stimulus bills seem to have been written by a wild chimpanzee and not by someone who has any knowledge of what is really going on. Though I admit that maybe a banner should have been hung on the chimpanzee in the cartoon that stated "congress" or "Pelosi", to prevent any confusion as to who it was representing.

P.S. Roland and Ron together do not make for good TV, if I wanted to watch an on air fight I would tune in "The View"

20. Carrie Bradshaw, Upper East Side

Would you have a mountain gorilla as a pet? I rest my case.

21. fm stark

racism
    , the last vestige of separation, we can only seem to degrade the dissimilar by pointing out what our differences are and that is what eventually leads to war, there is only one other subject that supersedes racism in this context and that is religion, the better we merge/mesh the more harmonious our world will be

wild animals
    wild animals are just that wild animals, do people really think they can comprehend as well as humans, they cant no matter "how much we wish they could" an accident waiting to happen as we have seen, this is why we have zoos!!!!!!

22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Is it just me or have the webcasts not been available tonight and yesterday night?

I think that webcasts have problem tech glitch.......

23. Stan

I agree for the most part with Mr. Martin about the cartoon in the NY Post and race. Usually, in the past, like with cartoons by Thomas Nash et al, if an animal was used in a political cartoon that was other than a donkey or an elephant, there usually was a card on the animal or something indicating what the animal was representing. There was none in this situation and it is oh so easy to find racist connections (and not just undertones). I am a white man in North Carolina, and I also agree with Mr. Martin. in that we tend to be racially diverse when it is politically convenient to do so, and if it affects our level of security, we tend to revert back to our affinity for our own kind or race. Thanks to all for your time.

Regards,

Stan

24. Nick, NY, NY

My first thought was the chimp cartoon referenced the incident taking place in CT. That being said, I can see how the cartoon could be perceived as racist. There should have been a disclaimer at the bottom of the cartoon

25. Emmerentia

From what I saw on that programme, there are a lot of "lenders" who should be prosecuted for fraud and I think Greenspan should be prosecuted for allowing these schemes!! In South Africa bankers also tried these outrageous schemes of giving you more money than you should have, but our government stopped them with a Credit Act and so it was stopped in its tracks. But today, no one can get credit for a home without a 20% down payment which in our money terms is a huge deposit which very few people have. No one in our government is prepared to assist homeowners – thousands in our country have lost their homes. So Americans should be happy that they have a President who cares and quite frankly if he does not use your tax dollars – you have no idea what lies ahead.

26. gloria

1st time blogger.....mr.cristi should relax ...he is too intellegent not to think humanily. He sounds as if he is uncomfortable in mixed company.,

27. David, Indiana

BettyAnn sorry to hear about your ankle best wishes for a quick recovery from your surgery. I enjoy your posts quite a bit, thanks for the kind wishes you always send out.

Anderson, thank you for expertly moderating the panel discussion, could be very contentious and you made it so that we could take in everyone's comments and pt of vw.

28. Marida

I'm outraged that the cartoonist would think this is funny on any front – esp linking to President via whose going to sign and then showing law enforcement killing the monkey. What color is the sky in Ron's world for his comments

29. Amanda Walton-Ontario Canada

Although I don't think we should consider the cartoon in the New York Post racist, I certainly didn't find it funny or humorous at all

30. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

The whole situation is so tragic. No animal of that strength should live in the house with a human being. I feel horrible for both the woman attacked and the chimp's "mom."

A chilling reminder that wild animals and humans just don't mix.

31. Bill Nelson

Bravo, Anderson! Thank you for letting your guests know that it's not appropriate discourse to interrupt and talk over each other so that your audience cannot even understand their respective opinions. I have turned off other stations where the moderator allows uncontrolled discourse, read as out of control dialog. David Gergin is so much better than this and demonstrated that once again in tonight's program. He should not be subjected to this, nor should we. Thanks for trying to control the situation.

32. Mary Ann Walker

NY Post cartoon and the comments made by Eric Holder are linked. Attorney General Holder is absolutely correct and noting that we are cowards in having an honest dialogue about race issues in this country. We have only begun to scratch the surface on this topic. Have we made progress in race relations in this country. Absolutely, Do we still have some work to do. Absolutely. The cartoon in the NY Post, the New Jersey African-American mayor who was so intimidated by the KKK that he gave up his office these are examples of current overt racism. Then there is all the covert stuff that affect African-Americans–higher insurance rates, higher interest rates, the "savage inequalities" of our school system, special ed as the new segration in schools, and on and on it goes.

33. Anthony

Why do we have Black History month? Why wouldn't this be part of American History? If we are trying so hard to break barriers, this only contributes to keep them there. There also didn't seem to be much diversity in White House for the First Lady's history lesson.

34. Gary

Hi A.C.:

Roland Martin is a classic "do as I say and not as I do"! I saw Roland at the FountainBleu in Miama Beach in early Dec. 2008. I walked up to him at the bar (which he was with 5-6 African Americans) and I complimented him on his work at CNN. He said, "thanks", and then he went right back to his group. Now, if this is not a situation of "after work" type activity, then why does he make it sound like he wants to be part of the solution?

Just trying to "keep 'em honest",

Gary

35. Maureen T, Canada

I don't believe that large chimp should be a pet. They are wild animals! I hope her friend pulls through.

36. bobby bell

anderson i just watched you show with the three speakers and the topic
    about the new york post cartoon that shows a chimp being shot
    your guest im not sure of his name who was defending the paper to me is just an uncle tom for this guy is just looking for a place to spout is insanity and im shocked or should i be that you have this guy that's why
    i stoped watching in the pass ive found that your reporting and show that
    at one time i looked forward to viewing has not been balanced
    and i wonder why all i can say you maybe wining the rate game
    but you lost me

37. brent

from what i see the cartoon was not aimed at president obama. it was aimed at congress.

38. JacquiChan

when I was a small child I wanted a chimp as a pet I thought it would be so cute to dress him in peoples clothes and teach him cute things like to roller skate ( I think I saw something similar on Johnny Carson) As a vegetarian and animal rights activist I now know that it is incredibly selfish to keep a wild animal out of the wild; it's a crime I blame humans for this crime not the animal even without yet knowing the details

39. JR

The cartoon is not racist. Roland Martin, it's obvious that once racism begins to decline (it has already), so will your paycheck!! You need the topic of racism to retain it's strengh and your comments only perpetuate racism. Wake up it's 2009! and we have our first african american prisident!

40. Lisa , Morehead , Ky

Our country has come so far, we have many Black American's holding high positions of office. Yes, I agree there are many racist in our country, white and black for that matter. It is time for our country to celebrate were we are, not focus on where we were. I think as a nation we focus way to much on race. We cannot forget we are different because we won't allow it. It is in all college curriculum etc. When you draw attention to race in every matter, you are saying we are different. Forget color, treat each person on their own individual merit.

41. Sabrina

Jo Ann- Fannie and Freddie were only 20% of the sub prime mortgage mess. The republicans like to blame these institutions because they view them as democratic but the facts are the facts, other private lenders played a much larger role.

42. Ruth

Obviously Ron Christie is not aware of black white relations today. I work in a department where no one said a word after the historic Inauguration. And the other two blacks in the department will only whisper about issues. Go into the schools and see how black children especially boys are treated. Ron, two people out of elevn million holding high positions in government is not earth shattering. AG Eric Holder is absolutely right..

43. Landon

Way to go Ron!

44. Mayneman

Rloand and David are correct, while we dont see everything through the racial 'glasses' we know it when we see it. It only need half a brain to understand this very simple cartoon.

45. Fred A

Good Grief.....you just have to keep it going! I remember the days when small minded people referenced primates to non-whites. But, when I saw the cartoon, I thought nothing racial. Martin, everytime we seem to be going 2 steps forward, you and Jessie Jackson open your mouth and make everyone angry. I have always taught my children that there are good blacks and good whites; there are bad blacks and bad whites. It is not the economy, it is not anything but how we were raised and the kind of people we were exposed to. If a human woman can love a chimp like a son, like a human, don't you think we could forget what ignorant people did to each other? We are all humans. If you don't stop dwelling on the past mistakes, we can never get over and get on with the important things we have to do. Please listen to yourself. Quit it.

February 18, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  46. Cindy

I don't think that it is good to have any "wild" animal as a pet no matter how trained you think it is!

And why was this woman giving this chimp xanax!? Is she crazy!?

Cindy...Ga.

February 18, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  47. Carla

I was really disappointed with the conversion about Holder's comments. It is okay to disagree with a person's opinion but the illogical and ahistorical rambling by Ron Christie was a waste of time.

February 18, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  48. calvin

The comments that The Attoney General made were borderline in refering to Americans as cowards, but appropiate when bringing up the race issue in America. No one in power, or on our news stations wants to admit the truth "that we have a problem when it comes to race." They continue to say how far we have come. The truth is we have not come far enough. President Obamba has made a great stride in the country and truly bridged some gaps, but we still have a long way to go. For some black people to say that all is well and we have no problem is absurd! The gentleman in the middle who tried to put a positive spin on the conversation trying not to offend white American is in denial and Roland edged him on! Anderson, keep up the discusion and open so we can continue to look at ourselves. Maybe true progress will come in our life times.

February 18, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  49. Tomjorgensen

I was watching your program about the news pictre of the chimpanzee and the discussion about whether it was raciist, but after thta I saw a news picture about the first lady inviting many Black school children and explaining about the room where Lincoln sined a document, BUT I wonder why there wasnt any white school children invited ??? Would your panel think that was racists Dont you think all children would like to visit the white House or is there a bt of dicrimination being shown ????

February 18, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  50. Beverly

I agree with Roland Martin that Ron Christie is delusional . He makes the most outrageous statements when he appears as a commentator. I suppose that is the only way he will get another invitation to appear on AC 360. Poor Ron!!!

February 18, 2009 at 10:43 pm |