February 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/18/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Alex

Thanks Anderson. I was just about to turn you off because your guests were attacking each other. Even though I agreed strongly with the attacker, if I want a shouting match I watch Fox!

Your remarks were spot on, and your guests fell into line, and I stuck with you!

2. Isabell, Indiana

Thank you EJ (USA) for your compliment about my statements about Anderson.

Isabell, Indiana

3. David

Roland is right, that Christie guy is delusional. It is ignorance and play dumb tactics that divide races even more. Even David Gergen saw how the NY post cartoon may have been perceived and rightfully so. Please get rid of these yes men commentators because they are more worried about their image than the truth. That doesn't apply to you AC.

4. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Well, that lady is right about one thing. It was not the chimp's fault. The chimp belongs in the jungle. Wild animals NEVER make reliable pets!

5. Robert

Thank you Anderson for schooling your commentators on the rules of intelligent debate, let alone common decency. Diverse opinions should be appreciated, and giving thoughtful consideration – not an immediate personal attack, because that opinion disagrees with yours or your personal agenda (Roland).

6. Jean

The Black man who said he saw no racism in the cartoon re: the police shooting the chimp is living in total denial.
    What did that cartoon have to do with the stimulus package>
    It was blantant racism!

7. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

You DO NOT keep a chimp as a pet...

8. Brian DuCharme

It's difficult not to believe that the cartoon had a double meaning. To even approach using a caricature of Obama in a past racist use is at best raw ignorance. This is just a bad taste editorial review, nice one N.Y .POST.

9. Joel

I have called Bush and other politicians monkeys and/or apes because they did not know what the heck that they were doing. If I do that with the current administration, am I now a racist? Please Mr. Martin, list all of the other animals, inanimate objects, cliches, etc. that I can no longer use that I have applied to white politicians but that I cannot now with the current president.

10. Julie

Everything is not about being black. It's social economic.
    The devide is from economics , not color of skin. Look at many majors cities. Poor blacks act completely different than educated blacks..As do poor whites and Educated whites.

11. Darren

that woman is nuts to have a wild animal in her home!!!

12. Dooley Candler

I am a sixth generation American. Although my ancestors may have been from Africa, I am as much as an American as anyone else. I constantly hear people being referred to African American, Mexican American, etc. but the Caucasian community just gets to be Americans. I look forward to a day when I am not longer classified as a second rate citizen when will the shields of race fully drop and allow are world to become more color blind.

13. Andrew

That cartoon wasn't racist, people are way too quick to try sensationalize issues in the media. The fact is that the cartoon of the police shooting the monkey could have been about ANY government official whether they were black or not. The cartoonist is simply expressing that he thinks the stimulus package is a "monkey brain" idea and artistically linked it to the figurehead of the group that came up with the stimulus package.

If a cartoon came out that depicted say, George W. Bush as a monkey, I guarantee you wouldn't hear a single word about it.

14. Maxine Turner

On the issue of the Attorney General and his comment on race. I felt he was not singling out a certain race. He was just stating a fact. that our nation will not stand up for another race with their own race. 96% out of 100% of people will go with what they are comfortable with. If a white, black, hispanic, jewish, or mid eastern where together with thier own race and a comment was made about another race; it is likely they will join in the bashing or just not say anything than defend or stop the negative comments.

15. brent

from what iread the cartoon was aimed at president obama. it was aimed at congress.

16. Marc

Never miss your show. Even if I'm not home I Tivo it. Your show does a great job of presenting diferring insightful views. However...Ron Christie is an idiot. A prime example of the people in the Bush administration

17. Thomas

Im a truck driver an I dont get a bail out for my job as a owner operator an when i cant make ends meet I cant ask for a hand out so now im loosing my house my truck an my lively hood because they cut my pay by 1/2 the rate so when you get paid try figuring out how you would make it on half your pay check

18. Glen Up North

Chris, though your pride in our Canadian fiscal system is commendable, I cannot say that our banks are without reproach. I have personal reports of one bank in particular (which I will not name here, not a branch but the entire bank) aggressively raising people's credit lines and pre-approving them for loans beyond their financial abilities, simply because they always made payments on time. When someone has several credit cards and a credit line, it is very easy to make payments "on time" while still living beyond one's means. Still, where other banks refused and compassionately explained why, they forged ahead and granted extra credit (at times without even being asked to do so). Still, it is a far cry from the "bad loan" situation the US is currently facing... though we may soon face a similar credit card situation. Bankruptcy numbers are rising in both countries...

19. steve

This ought to be good... an animal rights expert will tell us animals should not be kept captive. (Big surprise) Maybe we can get a cartoon animal to talk to us about rights of chimps...

20. ill phil

most of the people who lost or losing there home most likely lost there job! tell me this! if you lost your job and couldent find another due to the over qualified fludded workforce. how long would you and your family last...its easy to point the finger ,becouse you still have a job! ps. i still have my job! im 1 of the lucky ones. =)

21. jonathan

i agree with roland this country has not gotten that far when u still have cartoons like that. It is blatant racism and people should call it out for what it is.

22. William Ralph Skyrme

I,ve followed the foreclosure discussions from the start ,and I,ve read the proposal that the President has offered and I think he has made more sense than anyone, as to what needs to be done. I,ve studied the problem from the beginning and I have one more thing to add to his proposal that would guarantee success. I,ve tried hard to get thru to someone that can get my message to the president with no success. If anyone has a way to get my message to him right away ,before he puts his final signature on his proposal please contact CNN,they have my E-Mail address.

23. bobby mc kay

why are we not attacking the real enemy the home builders who sold houses to citizens for $2000 down and a low monthly payment,then sold the mortgage within a very short tme to there cohorts ie fanny may exc who spld them to thebanks and they were paid in full so the builders made fortunes .are the culprets so high up the tree that they are untouchable why dont we attack the real enemy andget the money back

24. Michael Bisch

I do not associate chimps with any race. I believe that the author was suggesting that the parity was refrencing the poor idea of the stimulas package and total lack of good judgement that this stimulas package represents.Quit being so Hyper sensative regarding the issue of race!

25. jacque jeudy

Hi.
    My comment is about the catoon with the police shooting
    at monkey. it was directed at the president and the attorney general is telling the truth but will not stop him from uphold the law to the fullest

26. Not Stupid

What does the Chimp and the stimulus package have to do with one another? The explaination given is an insult to the american people. I am uphauled that the New York Post would allow something like that to run in their newspaper.

27. Rekha AC

Dear Anderson,

I hope you had a relaxing long weekend. Sorry I missed your Speaker series at Pasadena. I hope I'll make it sometime next time.
    "nation of cowards" should not have been said by the Attorney General, referring to America. I am an immigrant, and I've been in the country for 20 years I think, cowardly on many occasions I think, but by and large I will still say I have been very brave, and I will not hesitate to portray myself that way. Positively, I mean. I think the General should re-phrase his statement giving positive addends to his speech. That will be good for Pres.Obama too.

28. MG

The NY cartoon was, as David stated, dripping in racism. Mr. Christie, there is a place for optimism but there is also place for realism.

29. Jamdude

This cartoon is clearly racist and that Ron fellow is living in a dream world, "a nation of cowards" I couldn't say it better.

It's very sad when an "intelligent Negro" fails to emancipate his or herself from mental slavery. Ron open your eyes. Racism is very real!!

30. Aisha Khalid

I believe the comic should be treated as just that. Being a minority myself we as Americans need to stop being so sensitive to the point that others need to walk on eggshells in order not to offend us. We can't keep crying and making an issue of something that could be left ignored are we not just adding fuel to something that was never meant to be ignited? Just a thought.
    Being a minority muslim that is persecuted in my home counrty he US is a country that all are given oppertunites equally the minorieties need to stop getting offended at every little thing.

31. RhondaJ

Good discussion – You cant argue if I say "I" am offended. I get to decide what offends me and I say I am offended.by the cartoon. attorney general says "we are cowards" that means on both sides. I am not offended because I agree when it comes to race we sidestep. I am black and I have true white friends. we travel together, stay in each others homes, have been to and in each others weddings. Thats friendship not just a working/school relationship. It is good to talk and share real issues. Real dialogue will be good – painfully sometimes but good.

32. Gina Schaub

Regarding the foreclosure bailout.
    My husband works a minimum of 60-70hrs a week to pay our mortgage so that I can care for our 3 young children and go to school to earn a nursing degree. We are doing everything humanly possible to be responsible for our family. We live within our means, and would love to refinance our 30yr fixed mortgage. Our current mortgage is not backed by Fannie or Freddie. We don't want a hand out, we just want the latest leg up (refinancing to lower rate) to be offered to those who have acted responsibly as well. We feel like we are contributing our fair share while being slapped with all the penalties for those who have not acted responsibly. I can olny imagine what it would be like to refinance our current loan at 31% of his base salary(40 hr /wk). Our children would not have to miss their dad, he would not miss out on their childhood and I would not have to leave them with extended family while I attend school, they could be with their father, where they belong. Our family sacrifices every day-too bad no free passes for us.

33. Deb from Murrieta, CA

Anderson,

Please find more balanced African-American Republicans. Ron Christy's remarks are so skewed and narrow that they are offensive to the average, thoughtful American.

Kudos to both David Gergen and Roland Martin for calling out the racism in the New York Post's so-called parody cartoon. Ron Christy comes across as a sell-out, determined to get affirmation from the right by any means possible. Kindly find a more insightful, honest representative when a sensitive subject like race comes up again!

34. nick--Chicago

Guys, I hope I'm not repeating someone else's thoughts but here it is...i think there's a lot of us out here that pay our mortgages and have done everything right. When I bought my house I didn't have 20% to put down and I am forced to pay p.m.i. every month. If I, and the others like me, could refinance at a lower rate and not have to pay the p.m.i. we could save a couple hundred dollars a month; money we could put away or invest. I fear that I won't be able to qualify because I've been too responsible. Maybe I'd have better luck if I stopped paying my mortgage all together....I guess we'll see March 4th but I do think the p.m.i issue is something that could and should be addressed...I haven't heard anyone mention it....

35. Leo

Who the heck is this new guy you had on tonight with Rolland and David G? This guy is crazy, I had to switch to MS NBC during the discussion about racism and chimp.... i could not stand listening to this guy and I see why Rolland was going nuts..

If you want me to switch from your show to MSNBC....this cray dude is you formula for this.....get him off your show and send him to Fox News.....with the other crazies...

36. Stanley Joel

When it comes to race relations we must distinguish between segregation and congregation. If one race enjoys eating with, living amongst or socializing with people of their own race it just may be benign congregational preference not racism.

37. claire-wichita, ks

Now quickly to the attorney general....I think he is right. I think we often avoid the issue of race–particularily when it deals with negative aspects of this country's history. I am working with some after school kids here in KANSAS and they have never even heard about Brown vs. the Board of Education or segregation. To understand we we are, we need to know from whence we came.

38. David

Personally,

I think the attorney generals comments may have been out of line given his position as the top law enforcement officer. I think he's right, but by using the word coward, he may have lost half his audience. He could have said many of the same things, but with less controversy, creating more positive results. Even then, should the attorney general being saying this... Probably not. We have plenty of talking heads, pastors, and other social commentators. I'm not sure it was his role.

39. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Darren:

Until you have lived being "Less than" you will NEVER understand

40. seema

Anderson, appreciated your comment about your guests not yell at each other just this evening (Roland, David Gergen and Ron). Your spontaneous feedback on events is what is so refresing about your show. However, one suggestion- why have people with such divergent views on at the same time if you don't want them to shout down each other?

41. Jason Monteleone

Anderson,
    How come racism is always being brought up by colored people. We as a country just elected the first African-American president but yet we are a "Nation Of Cowards". Did I miss something???

42. Shane, Las Vegas

I am so frustrated, you guys went on for days and days on end about a few of Obama's cabinet picks and tax problems, and yet a huge scandal of the same exact nature that you focused on for over a week and a half about Democratic cabinet nominees breaks about the Republican candidate for the second highest office in the world in the last election...that it turns out owes back taxes on per-diems she has taken for years from her states tax payers for actually being able to playGovernor at her own home for most of her tenure and won't even release how much she owes, and you guys are gonna actually give air time to the inane meaningless sensationalistic Octuplets story instaead of devoting the five minutes at least that this story deserves, WOW, double standards much!

43. deborah ricce

anderson, when i see people like amy holmes and your guest named ron ??? the repulicans pay them so well they just don't know how
    to see correctly. they spin everything toward untruth. you say chimp use to be associated with black man they say no that was just a chimp. i want to work for the republican spin machine. i know they pay well, because all of them just spin lie after lie. when will we get the truth from any of them. oh i forgot they cant tell the truth the job pays them to spin, spin, spin or just don't see the truth and just lie, lie.

44. Nancy

I'm sorry, but I think the boob who printed the New Yorker cartoon is the very coward the Attorney General is talking about. I'm white and I found it very offensive. It was just wrong.

45. Andre R. Newcomb

Would you like to experience the 'human' interpretation of racism like I have? Teeth knocked out; attempts to cut off an ear; scars from blacks and Mexicans; never paid more than minimum wage in my nearly 40 years; 'window-frame' slander; speed loaded foods; rape; entrapment of members of my family; and I'm ONLY getting older! Some of you sing so pretty and I'm hoping you can be a happy person.

Andy of Sierra Vista, Arizona

46. Amanda Walton-Ontario Canada

I agree with the one gentleman regarding the cartoon that we can't always look at things as being racial, it causes unecessary tensions. I would consider the only animal that can protray any President would be a monkey since they are Primates and we always as a society to many jobs that a monkey could do a job. I think we need to take the colour out of issues and realize we don't live in such a black and white world.

47. Kent Laudon

Anderson, tonight you played referee with your guests discussing today's comments of US Attorney General Eric Holder. All of your guests are distinguished gentlemen talking passionately about a tough subject – race in America. They began to get emotional and talked over themselves. You stopped them saying that while it happens on other shows (as I think those shows thrive on it), you acknowledged that it was annoying to the listeners and drives yourself crazy. You Are Right On! Thank you for once again separating yourself and your show from what unfortunately has become a contemporary norm. The subject was interesting. I have no judgment on Mr Holder, and I have a lot of respect for your distinguish guests. Maybe this show can pave the way to be a new standard for folks that like to critically evaluate information without people yelling at them what to think. Thanks!

48. Sue Flynn

I just listened and have to say that comic about the cops and chimp did not scream racism to me. If you saw the news yesterday, a chimp attacked a person.....I watch alot of news and did not come away thinking it was a racial anything.

I agree with Ron on this one David and Roland....and I usually agree with the two of you !

Did we not just elect a Black Man as President. Please, it is 2009 and very much time to move forward; stop looking backwards. Obama is great so don't start the discussion. He is ready to move forward and it is time for change everyone!

49. Tomislav Vujec

As a first generation immigrant, it took me a while to figure out how can someone see racism in the chimpanzee cartoon. The attitude that looks for racism in every possible comment is the one that leads to the nation of cowards. As a white person, it was much easier for me to have black friends back in Europe than it is here, since almost every acknowledgement of race is considered offensive. How are we supposed to establish relationships if we have to walk on egg shells?

50. Eduardo Vargas

Nancy" How come you did not bring some of the Stimulus package to Rome.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20