February 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/18/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. KarenT

It was never appropriate to refer to Bush as a monkey as it is not appropriate to refer to Obama as a monkey but there is a racial history of blacks and monkeys. Also, this cartoon is showing the killing of the monkey...i.e. the killing of Obama. If Ron wants to argue that the monkey was Pelosi or Read because they were the ones that wrote the stimulus bill, then is it ok to kill them?

February 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  2. Maureen T, Canada

Great to see Michelle Obama with those school children in the White House!The Obamas are such wonderful people!

February 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  3. Denny

Anderson, Anderson ....

We can't just have all these people saying this stimulus is a bad thing. What exactly do they offer as a solution that won't flush our economy down the drain in the meantime? They can talk, but they don't have to produce.

We need to give Barack as much Positive Energy as we can ... Can't you guys get behind him to help our country? Don't you realize your ratings would soar if you helped to get people supporting him? We have got to change our ways .... Positiveness!!!! Positiveness!!! Yes we CNN!! Take a chance...

February 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  4. Gary Falcone, Ed.D.

Ron Christie should not be on your show. I heard his comments on the 'chimp' story. That was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard from anyone. Ron is Black but apparently isn't comfortable with that. He was off base when he said we are reading into the story about the chimp and the stimulus package. He claims others have an agenda, when, in fact, it is he who has one.

February 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  5. Steve from Danville

Your Republican "consultants" consistently toe the line with the same old tried-and-true narrative. Ron Christie is no exception. If Barack Obama discovered a cure for cancer, Ron Christie would rip him for ignoring heart disease. AC.. please find more David Gergens... his comments make sense.

February 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Ted Miller

Gergan and Holder correct on chimpanzee cartoon. I think he just meant that the stimulus was so bad it was written by monkeys. But it gave the wrong impression.

February 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  7. Mrs. Patricia Brito

I do not understand Ron Christie. It is though he was either not born in this country or he was born here and he had some type of sheltered upbringing in private schools where he hardly ever came in contact with other African-Americans. He seems to miss the whole Black experience in his thinking. I am just amazed at the thought patterns. I say that not sarcastically, but in true amazement.

February 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  8. Terry

Mr. Holder had my respect before his comment today. Who we choose as our friends is an individual right and I don't believe social change is a part of his job description. To label us as cowards is absoultely pathetic and he should resign immediately.

February 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  9. Colby A.

The discussion regarding the chimp-stimulus bill cartoon could be taken in one of two manners: to portray a concept not unlike that of the three monkeys in a room "accidently" typing out hamlet, or as a racist attack on President obama. Regardless of the artists intent the latter seems to be a chosen interbretation. Its called the death og the author: Regardless of the artists intent, one a work is made public it is open to the eyes of each and ever beholder. There sould be seroius reprecussions for an editor(s) who didnt catch it.

February 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  10. Karen

The Attorney General is so wrong in his remarks. The last time I looked, we here in America are free to associate freely. What next? Will Obama's administration dictate who we have lunch with? We already have reverse discrimination in that there is Affirmative Action, Miss Black America Pageants, Black History Month, Black Entertainment Network, NAACP, etc., etc., etc.......................

February 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  11. Sharon S

Well a Chimp is NOT a child it is an animal!!! you can love it and become friends with it but it will never be a child nor act like one!

Stupid Humans!

12. Ed

Many Americans are focusing on the banks who made bad mortgages and people who got in over their heads from the get go, knowing they really couldn't afford a particular home out of their price range to income ratio, indeed this is the culprit for many home forclosures and regulations must be put in place to prevent this but the flip side of this same coin, someone who lost their home and was forclosed on due to a LOST JOB, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that no job equals bills don't get paid once you have depleted any savings. How will President Obama's stimulus help the American who lost thier job buy time to get on their feet and stay in their home ?Does anyone know if their is any sort of time provision for this ?

13. Kirk Leonard

Contary to popular belief racism is alive and prospering especially out west!

Black's are not the only minority in this country, the true minority are native americans!

My wife is native American.

Most people need to take a good long look in the mirror.

14. jeanne

Anderson, My husband & I are Caucasian, and we saw the cartoon in the new york post as a racist cartoon. It surely is not funny and we did not take it as such. The Post Editor should have known better. Jeanne Neighbors Big Bear City, Ca. 93414

15. Abbott Williams

Everyone talking and arguing at one time is not very professional and certainly not interesting......Happens too much and sounds as bad as Hannity on Fox

16. Tony

Nation of Cowards.........Spot On!
    Too many self appointed leaders, reverends, etc. of races are afraid to step up for everyone who have been inflicted with some injustice or unfairness. If these self serving so called leaders would come together to fight hate crimes, assaults, murders, etc. on behalf of everyone regardless of race, colort, or creed, there would be more of a harmonious environment. The only time they step up is when they feel that their own race, color or creed have been inflicted. Even then, it serves as a springboard for their own publicity. There is so much to clean up starting with the music lyrics and domestic and child abuse. Show that you really want to make a difference in the world you so called leaders of our cultures. Rather then spinning everything into a racial issue, bring people together and preach that the injustices that are inflicted upon people are by people. And if there is truly a hate crime...then the perpetrators will be punished just as anyone who commits any other crime. End of story! People would finally get it and understand that we are united as americans first and we are in this fight to heal America..........TOGETHER.

17. Billy Wilkins

Thanks Ron. Invite him back....often! It's refreshing to hear someone who looks at the positive side of America! Every little thing is not racially motivated. I believe there are far fewer racists in America than some would want us to believe to progress their own agendas. America has come a long way, and we should be proud.

18. Rushabh Mehta

I'm Watching Your Debate About The Cartoon That Was Drawn In The News.. I'm From Canada And What I Don't Understand.. Is What Did That Chimp Even Have To Do With The Stimulus Package?... Of Course It's Has A Racial Message To It.. IT's Not Like The Chimp Who Attacked Those People Wrote The Deal.. So.. Why Would They Compare The Two?... Unless There WAS A "Message" Behind It..

19. Edward

Who can I speak to on the President's staff to help me? The money I receive from the VA only make up for the loss I have sustained from having to take early social security from being unable to work because of my Army injuries. But the VA regs are designed to hope that you die before you complete all of the red tape! If the VA wants to hire me to work in my home state – I will gladly work, but no one else will hire me with my medical problems. The VA says age (I am 65) is not to be considered in the "ability to work" but the doctors "evaluating my disabilities" always say I am in good shape for my age... On one hand the VA bureaucrats use one criteria to evaluate one part of a claim, but the doctors use a different one. It is a rip off of the veterans. Of course, I cannot even think of having the bailout help me – I can't afford a house. And of course, my representatives and congressmen do nothing – they are too busy help their big contributors.

20. Doncella

The Attorney General described our behavior as "cowards" veroy precisely. A coward is someone who is "intimidated' and Americans are intimidated as we engage in conversations about race.

21. Mike Green - NY

Hello everyone, I would just like to say that I liked tonight's panel, and that I would like to see Ron again in the program.

I have to say that if someone hadn't known about the chimp attack the cartoon would have looked very racist, but I'm sure that wasn't the cartoonist's intentions The Editors must still be on vacation from President's Weekend.

22. Jacqueline

Greetings all!

@Bea
    "Hello Bloggers, Anderson, Erica. We all behaved while you were gone Anderson! Even Mike from Syracuse!"

Bea, you're funny!

23. Joe

We was just talking about racism then we cut to a new story about Black History month??? Why do we need a day a week or a month that just celabrates one race.. How about we switch to a Human month that celebrates all people and not separate the races. We have African Americans at work...Their from Africa-born and raised. All the rest of you are AMERICANS

24. Dee F

I had no intentions of blogging tonight but after the last segment on the cartoon I have to say something.
    I was a bit amazed at the cartoon becasue it could be interpreted as being racist . But it was up to the editors to realise this and tell the cartoonist to make some changes. But for your last guest to say it could not be interpreted as such, means that he is not living in this world.
    David G and Roland your facial expressions spoke for themselves and I agree.

25. Mimi

Eric Holder, as the U.S. Attorney General, should consider his platform before making such an inflammatory statement. I'm sure we'll see a retraction or "correction" by morning. However the damage, both to his image and to that institution, has already been done. I can't believe he couldn't find a more elegant way of making his point.

26. Lori from IL

Glen – not just you, I haven't been able to get the webcasts tonight either.

Anderson - thank you for asking the panel to speak one at a time. I find it so annoying when people talk over each other - we can't hear what anyone is saying, only the "yelling". Thanks for being a great moderator –one of the things I really enjoy about you and 360.

27. Steven Ste.Croix in Montreal

Anderson: Just a quick comment.
    Every day we comment how one of the biggest problems in today's world is a lack of respect. Thanks for re-inforcing the respectful rules of debate a few moments ago. You are right. People arguing over each other and trying to drown each other out by raising their voices are very disturbing to listeners. Let's hear and respect everyone's opinion, whether we agree or disagree.
    Well done, Anderson.

28. Antoinette - NY

Anderson...it is great to have you back!! Missed you. Last night's money summit was very informative. Thank you. Tonight's panel on race was excellent. I couldn't agree more with Roland...I know it when I see it and when I see it I'm going to call it out. That cartoon is clearly racist and is in poor taste. How distgusting it is. By the way, you handled the heat between the panelists very well! Ciao!

29. Locke Tiffin Harvey

Yes the cartoon was so racist and I for one an so so sick of the racism and nastiness so inherent in our American politics and for that matter history

kind regards

30. Kathryn

"For goodness sake", Ron Christie is color blind and is ignorant to blatant racism! Perhaps he should watch Ethnic Notions or other historical documentaries on race to see the cartoon for what it was.

The cartoon is clearly racist.

31. xtina, chicago IL

Did you all who are "shocked" at the cartoon feel the same way about the Condoleezza Rice 'derogatory' cartoon last year? Or is it not a matter of principal but of personal interest?

32. Greg

Every story I have read about the "stimulus" package would indicate to me that it was written by chimps, so I don't think that cartoon is far off mark! I can understand how it could be misconstrued...editors should never have let it by...but I don't think it was at all racially inspired...

33. Bridget, TX

@Michael it would be great if we lived in a world where race doesn't matter, but unfortunately that's not our reality. Is racism as bad as it was in the 60/70s no but we have a very long way to go. i agree with Holder until we talk abourt and admit racism is a big problem, we'll always be divided.

34. Nyresa

I completely agree with John A. I hate hearing people yell over each on TV - in fact, I avoid certain shows that I might otherwise watch because I know it happens regularly, I'm glad that it was shut down as soon as it started here.

35. mary

Anderson, you misspoke. Michelle Obama did not invite the children to her house as I am assuming they did not go up to the family quarters. Michelle Obama invited the children to OUR house, the people's house.

36. Annette

Ron Christie just made an absolute fool of himself. He is obviously entitled to his opinion, but for him to not be able to acknowledge that, even if he did not, others could consider the NYP cartoon to be racist, given the country's history....shows that he is not in check with reality. He discredited any opinion that he has.

37. leroy

Ok im an african american living in atlanta working as a lobbyist. after watching the guy say we should not be offended by the monkey cartoon is obviously drinking something we all need black and white to ease the pain of this economy. because he is obviously numb drunk or both.

38. Ms G

OMG Anderson, please do not invite that Ron Christy (?) back. I don't think he represents the spirit of your show. As an African American his comments in the last segment were disturbing to say the least. I do not like seeing him on Hardball and I definitely don't like him on your fine show. PLEASE . . . stick to your open-minded, all-star guests who continue to draw us to the show.
    Keep up the great work!

39. em

Have to wonder how many people were aware they were buying a home they couldn't afford. I bought my first home 3 years ago and had to fight the mortgage lender to get a 30 year fixed interest loan. They were aggressively push unbelievably low interest for all these interest only variable rate loans. They were very convincing and it was only my pessimism that kept me from agreeing to something I would not be able to afford today. Guess that old adage "If it sounds too good to be true, it is!" served me well.

40. David, Brooklyn, NY

Anyone who doesn't think the cartoon with the monkey is not racist does not really understand the history of race in this nation. This is the most obvious piece of hate and the person who drew it has to be fired period.

41. Rich Trinca

I believe that 99 percent of the people in this country are not racially prejudice. It is the other 1 percent that needs to leave the Civil War behind and join the 21st century. Eventually this will happen. The real prejudice in this country is due to financial inequity which creates social inequity. As long as the rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer there will be tension between the social classes which could in some instances be mistakenly equated to a racial issue.

42. Edie

Thank you, Anderson, for stopping the yelling of your three guests (David, Roland, and a guy whose name I didn't catch). on the subject of the Attorney General's comments todayl. You are SO right to say that your viewers don't like the shouting! If I wanted shouting I'd watch FoxNews. I appreciate CNN for its respectufulness even when presenting multiple views. Thank you!

43. Al, Miramar

Anderson,
    does anyone understand the pressure President Obama is under now he has to hear about Holder's stupid comments. Lets allow this chimp story to die a natural death, if the cartoonist is not a racist then lets just brand him "naive" or "stupid"

44. Sandy G

As a white woman of 53 I am shocked that Ron Christie is so oblivious to the racism in the New York Post cartoon. Unbelievable! Even David Gergin could see that it was racist and I think that is saying a lot. I cannot see how Ron could not see this. shocking!

45. barbara Worden

thank you for your balanced discussion on race and, Anderson, thank you for asking your guests not to talk over each other. I would like to share a few facts, not opinions:

(1) I am a 61 year old widowed Caucasian woman
    (2) I attend a church which is multi racial
    (3) I live in an upper middle classneighborhood in which my closest neighbors are black, white, Latino, Jewish and Eastern European. English is not the first language in many homes
    (4) My closest friends are black, Asian, Indian, and Caucasian.

(5) I consider myself a "typical" American.

I'm sick to death of the stereotyping and small mindedness of the racial and ethnic comments. Let's get over it and live our daily lives in acceptance and the generosity that we know to be "American"

46. JoAnne

THe attornery general was way out of line with his comment about Americans being cowards....What can we do besides electing a black President? Give us a break!

47. Jeff Hill

I agree with the panelist, it appears we are at a point these days where Americans are trying to find racism in everything, when much of the time it is simply not there. Seeing that cartoon it was obvious to me that it was meant to say those that wrote the stimulus bill had the brain of a chimp, not that two police wanted to shoot a black man. Come on America, quit making everything a race issue.

48. Nelson

Will a senior who is current on the mortgage, has excellent credit but only has an income of social security and family help be able to qualify for a refi. from an adj. rate mortgage to a low fixed rate mortgage?

49. Lorna

This is a great discussion! All the opinions are fascinating.
    I only have a question that's puzzling me, however: are we going to talk about race every single day of our lives now? and if we are going to talk about race this often – in hopes that we become color-blind – what should happen to reverse discrimination and affirmative action? If we need to be fair, maybe we should be fair for everyone and consider all sides.

50. Renee Y.

Race relations will never be put to rest because it is a matter of personal opinion. Everyone has one and they are entitled to express it. That's why it is so controversial.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20