February 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/18/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Veronica

Hi Anderson,
    Your guest Ron Christie, Major delusional. He clearly has lost his way or yet may have ever known his way. Hey, this is America, everyone has an opinion.

February 18, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  2. John

Maybe the cartoon justifies the comment by A.G. Holder. By the way , can I get the same pill Ron got. I want to see the world the way he does. I want out of the Matrix

February 18, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  3. david

All the a.g was saying is that we all go back to our own corners when were done at work or school or what ever. and by me being a 50 black man i know just what he was saying.now that ron fella is just wrong. he cant see with them blinders on

February 18, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  4. Danielle

Christie's commentary was absolutely horrible and out of touch. He is just the type of African America who has turned a blinds eye to "our " issues in America. I hope he never returns to your show. I will never give him the pleasure of my attention again!

February 18, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Sharon

When can we make a distinction between race and cultural habits. People with cultural habits that others don't feel comfortable with has more to do with people of different "colors" not sitting together at lunch, than their race does. You feel more comfortable with people who react, think and have backgrounds like you in general. When the cultural differences are greater then, the chances that one or other will feel uncomfortable are greater. That includes discrimination and prejudices against the "redneck race" by some people as well, for example. Let's call it what it is.

February 18, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  6. Ada

Congratulations Anderson for finally stopping the screaming and talking over each other by some of your guests. Most of them should take note of the professionalism of David Gergen. Roland Martin, the worst offender. Roland lower your voice, let others talk etc.

February 18, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  7. juan

Billions for car compannys, Billions for the banks (who created and abetted the use of exotic loan instruments). Assist the greedy flippers and the irresponsible. Millions for fish in California, Congressional individuals who do not read the bill.
    I play by the rules and I get an additional $13.00 dollars. I am just wondering am I MAD or going MAD!!!!!!

Juan

February 18, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  8. Marlene

Many older people who can no longer work 2-3 jobs to keep up their income to pay their mortgage and taxes need to downsize now that they are empty nesters.I don't want to loose my home,but when we run out of equity,what will we do?The president needs to make home sales attractive for those who are young and raising a family.Those who are ready to retire need help selling their homes.Please help us sell,mr.President.

February 18, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  9. Suzana

What ever happened to the land of the free? We as law abiding, taxed, taxed and taxed, tax payers, not only have to be responsible for everyone elses poor choices, we now are going to be dictated to as to who we share our lunch with. Our for Fathers would roll over in their graves. Will the be no end to this maddness.

February 18, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  10. Dodie from Irvine, CA

CNN: The more this woman is in the news, the more possibly that other woman who want to become famous might try to do the same thing. California can NOT afford paying any more medical bills for women who birth 8 babies many of whom will have medical problems all their lives. I am very angry over this. Talk about responsibility!!!

February 18, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  11. Ali C.

This guy Ron Christie that Anderson just had on regarding the Chimp cartoon...IS A JOKE How NAIVE can someone be..... He needs to see it for what it is........RACISM!!

12. Linda

Re: Cowards

Thank you Anderson for taking control when all were speaking over each other. You are right, I hate listening to the yelling over each other or to best each other. This is supposed to be a discussion, grow up folks. Other shows on your own network should take heed.

An avid listener from British Columbia, Canada

13. Sandy

Anderson, I think you have had Roland Martin on one too many times. I hate to watch panels where the discussion becomes a screaming match. If I want to see people screaming at each other, interrupting, and not listening to another viewpoint, I can watch Bill O'Reilly or Hannity. Let's stick to intellectual discussions!

14. Tammy Clark

I resent that we bailed out citigroup bank. I've spent two years trying to get answers to payments that weren't applied or were posted and reversed – modification documents "lost" by the bank . I have had same job for 14 yrs- house for 13 years as a single mom and had no problems until mortgage was sold to citifinacial who merged to citigroup. Because I have job & health insurance my wages are garnished to financially & medically support my adult child while NY state garnishes my wages and seizes tax refunds exceeding maximum legal garnish. The default on my mortgage is the fault of the citigroup and NY state. I am the taxpayer & single mom who bailed out the bank that continues to take my home with th equity I have put into it

15. Esma

I griped about it last night and I'll gladly do it again: DO NOT purchase exotic "pets" of any kind. Most people can't even handle goldfish, let alone large animals that are nowhere near what we would deem as "domesticated". That goes for you too, Michael Jackson.

16. Suzanne

Hi–I'm hurt by Mr. Holder's characterization as part of a "nation of cowards". My husband and I spent our careers teaching in very diverse Oakland, Ca. ,and still in our retirement years enjoy being part of that community, and our family is diverse by marriage, including Black, Indian, and Korean cultures. The church we attend is very diverse as well. There are many of us out there, and it is hurtful to be called a coward.

17. Cynthia Olsen

I think a lot of people are taking that cartoon of the chimpanzee a little to serious, I don't think the cartoonist tried to make fun or offend President Obama. He simply combined two events that occured this week (the chimpanzee attack and the signing of the economic package). Please people, stop being sooo sensitive. I am Mexican and don't get offended everytime Lou Dobbs opens his mouth!

18. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Humans are always responsible when something like this happens. When will people learn that wild animals should never be kept as pets?

19. David

Anderson,

Thanks for squashing the yelling during the race story. I would prefer an even less personal discussion, but I know it's not easy. Keep up the good work.

20. Marium

Black history happens everyday. Personally, as a teacher, I will not confine a certain history to a month. Why can't we talk about Rosa Parks in September.

Another thing also apparent in schools is a sense of exclusion felt by other minorities. They ask, what about my history...what about Latino history, Muslim history...why isn't that considered worthy enough for recognition.

21. Wesley Hoskins

I thin the Attorney General should not have made that comment. How would the black population feel if it were made by a white person. I would also like to see Roland Martin taken off of your show. He is rude and arrogant. You can"t get a word in for him.

22. Vickie Miles

Hello Anderson 🙂 I think we should not be so quick to through the first stone. I think that if each of us can admit that we all had a part in this mess... We should be able to admit it and move forward, but most of all try and work together with our president to see what we can do whether big or small.

23. Andrew, MD

Mike in Syracuse, you nailed it!

24. suman Shoor

that cartoon is very distasteful and raceist
    What is wrong with the people of this country?Give Mr.Obama a chance for christsake!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. Henrietta, Port St Lucie

Im glad there is finally help for homeowners – in addition to
    the package I'd like to see a moratorium on all foreclosures.
    How is it ok to put a hardworking family, who lost their job out
    of a home – after they have invested a downpayment and many mortgage payments into it. How about working with these
    families – instead of foreclosing and selling that same house
    to someone for pennies on the dollar?

26. Sunny

I still don't understand who qualifies and why for the mortgage "bailout."

Five years ago, we made sure we purchased a home we could afford. We cut our other expenses so we can pay our mortgage every month. Why would we not get the opportunity to lower our mortgage interest rate?

Five years ago, we got a 30 year mortgage on our home even though an ARM would have meant a lower monthly payment. We should have. We would have gotten a lower interest rate again under this bailout by claiming we cannot afford a higher rate.

27. niwat, Chicago

@ Mary from Florida, it doesn't sound fair in your case,but u know what, I think you are doing the right thing by purchacing the property that you intend to live in. The housing market is fueled by the flipping-out business, the price of house is inflated largely because it was over marketised by the broker and the mortgage was approved too easily.

The chimp cartoon was taken politically too seriously..Let me tell you about my racial issue..u know having a moderate melanin in my skin ( yellow ) is the new black! i wasn't offended or anything when i get ignored until I was mistaken for a Chinese. hahaha

Hi, Anderson ( warm welcome back ) EH, casts and bloggers

28. Louie

Tarp Money
    Instead of allowing a home to go into foreclosure, banks have the opportunity to work with short sales; however, the banks' untimely response to short sales has caused buyers to walk away. In the meantime, the home goes into foreclosure – this causes prices in the neighborhood to continue to decline. Example: a home listed as a short sale gets an offer and the bank does not respond for over 60 days. During this 60-day period, prices have declined in that particular neighborhood even more and the buyer has walked away. You see where this is going!

Many banks have asset management companies who handle homes that have been repossessed by the bank. If the bank would have the same asset management company handle short sale negotiations, this would save the home from going into foreclosure. When a home is foreclosed, the bank ends up by getting 40 to 50 cents on the dollar, compared to about 60 cents on the dollar. A foreclosure has a domino effect:
    1. Prices in the neighborhood have gone down
    2. The homeowner loses his or her credit
    3. The bank loses more money because of the foreclosure in fixing the property, legal fees, property management fees, etc.
    4. The bank uses the TARP money to help liquidate itself from a bad asset
    5. Ultimately this affects the taxpayer

29. claire-wichita, ks

David and Roland you are both on target for about the editorial cartoon. Ron (?) needs to get a grip. I grew up in Southern Ohio in a rural town....there is a shameful history behind calling blacks monkey etc. And that is depicted in that cartoon. I can't believe the editor would allow–let alone defend its publication

30. LorenaR

on a lighter note, Bill Clinton told Larry King last night that his daughter Chelsea might go into the field of health care. I hope she has an illustrious career of public service. She is such a good role model for young women unlike the octo-mom, Bristol Palin, and the Hollywood pack of women "famous for being famous." She avoids making disturbing headlines, what an achievement these days.

31. Tracy

I completely agree with Roland Martin's assessment of AG Holder's comments today. People segregate themselves in cities and towns, school cafeterias, and churches across America. The abundance of public discourse on race should not be used to excuse and the absence of substantive private discourse on the topic.

32. Martin Craig

Obviously Mr. Christie is entitled to his personal opinion, but how can he, as a "proud African-American," be so completely dismissive of what the cartoon represents is frankly an embarrassment.

33. Bob

I agree with many of the posters,,, We have done everything as we should have, we purchsed a home we could afford, we budgeted and did not spend outside of our means, and we saved for our future. I am now a casualty of those who were irresponsible, I have lost value in my property, my investments for my future have lost 50-60% of their value, and my wife and I fear everyday that our jobs could be the next to go!!! Where is the Stimulus as I do not qualify based on what I hear about the plan.

34. KarenT

First Anderson thanks for asking your guests to not interrupt each other and talk over one another. Second, why does anyone have Ron Christie on their show. I find him to be a verbal bully and arrogant. What is his appeal that you would ever have him on your show?

35. Brad Houshour

Anderson

You had an African American male on the show tonight with Ron and David. Please don't invite him back on. I appreciate his views, but I didn't enjoy listening to him speak. This is the first time I've posted on your blog. I enjoy your show very much, but he compelled me to write in. The segment was bad.

Brad

36. Ash

I disagree with your guest (the expert who can't understand the housing bill); there were plenty of us who recognized that the euphoric view on housing circa 2006 was irrational and based on fraud. I can not believe that this guest asked us to forget the whole mess, fork over our tax dollars, and just move on.

Everyone I know is furious about this plan, your guests seem out of touch and totally oblivious to the concept of moral hazard. Was a real estate investor really the best choice to discuss this topic? Perhaps it would be better to have a guest with some knowledge of economics, without their own agenda, and at least plausible integrity.

37. Ken

Roland, don't even waste your time with Ron Christie. He's right, one could call him many things, but to do so would be a waste of one's time because he seems to live in a world other than the real one.

However, I'm glad that there are Black people like Ron who've never experienced racism and who don't believe that it exists. We should all be so fortunate.

38. Deena

New York Post caricature... very poor taste and judgment.

39. Bob

I'm a VERY PROUD 52 year old man who lost my job in July of 2007. I have a BS degree in Business Admin and am having a very difficult finding any type of job. My mortgage has about ten years left on it and we have been paying it on time with unemployment benefits and savings. Our savings is about to run out. In addition to those expenses, we are also paying for health insurance for my wife and two kids. I don't think people who HAVE jobs realize what we are going through. For those of you that have jobs and health insurance, please have some empathy for those of us that are really trying to make it on our own. If the shoe were on the other foot, how would you feel? This plan has to work, at least for those of us who have tried to do it the right way for 35 years. Sometimes people just have bad luck and need a break.

40. Michael

Wow, I can not believe people do not get the joke in the cartoon. Ever hear the expression "so simple a monkey could do it"? As in, a reference to the stimulus bill, haphazard, hastily thrown together, and perhaps not the most intelligent plan, as some critics suggest.

41. Ricky

We elected a African- American to president,
    we elected a African – American to Attorney General.
    For Eric Holder to make such statement today, makes me sick
    and makes me realize this country always looks back instead of looking ahead to brighter times,.

42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    Thanks for that interrupt 2 men were yelling each other during the show! .... Go Anderson!

43. Marjie

omg.......that cartoon was depicting

bad monkey

bad bill

shoot it down

44. Ken Buss

What are states going to do when the value of houses is reflected by lower property taxes?

Explanation of our daughter's situations:
    Our two daughters both single and professional bought homes in Michigan 5 and 4 years respectively. The oldest who is 32 now transfered out of state 1 & 1/2 years ago. Her house is still on the market. Our other daughter who is now 30, got married and moved out of state. She bought her house for $142,000.00 dollars and for tax porposes it was appraised at $188,000.00. She contested her taxes and was lost her apeal. The city & state benefited from higher home prices and aprasales by increasing taxes. Taxes which have not come down yet. When the tax assesments come down the cities and state face monumental tax shortages to pay for thier programs. The neighborhood where our youngest daughter purchased her house now has homes up for sale for under $120,000.00. Both of them put money down and have continued to pay their bills even though they do not live in them.

Ken Buss, Dearborn Heights, Michigan

45. Valorie Calton

The New York Post cartoon truly is a racist cartoon and cannot be defended as anything other. I showed it to my husband and asked him what his first impression of it was and he said the chimpanzee was President Obama. He also was taken aback by it and said it had gone too far. My husband is not very political at all so I knew I'd get a neutral assessment from him. I am outraged that they would publish such a vile cartoon. All they are doing is inciting unstable people to try to harm President Obama.

46. shola alimi

when i moved here I see black people as second citizens and I complained the same thing this guy say to my husband.

47. Willie Connell

BRAVO ANDERSON!!!

You just stopped your guests from talking over each other. About time, I think the public have had it with shows that allow people to talk over each other. What ever happened to common courtesy!

48. David, NY

I can feel the anger that Eric Holder has when he is trying to get his point across.

49. Gary

Thanks for asking for civility Anderson – One person talking at a time is enough – Why not institute a mute button and when a guest fails to be courteous MUTE-Keep up the good work.

50. Mark Smith

If the government is loaning money to banks at under 1% . Why not let anyone who can qualify for a loan get a 30 year fixed loan at 4%. This just wouldn't target the irresponsible who bought more than they could afford, This would help everyone. This would be an incredible stimulous for the economy. I would have about $700 dollars extra a month in disposible income that would be spent. It would also entice people with cash to buy up the forclosures and get them out of the market. I think housing stimulous based on this premise could help turn us around

February 18, 2009 at 10:36 pm |