February 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/18/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Sheldon Greyell

Shame on NY Post and especially their arrogant response to the racist
    cartoon. The press needs to police themselves better and go after the
    NY Post and their lies just as intensely as they have the politicians in Chicago.

February 18, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  2. Henry Lukenge

Anderson- I'm a neutral person to this the catoon and the guy in the middle just does not understand.. it. Please please do not bring people like that who are not qualified to comment on the subject they are called to comment on.

I always agree with David gergen and he was sport on on both occassions. The Eric holder analysis and the analysis of the catoon story. The republican just seemend so out of depth and lacked total understanding of the issue at hand... please please never bring him back.

Henry from Toronto- Canada

February 18, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  3. Kevin Cudney

ENOUGH ENOUGH ENOUGH
    Everything is NOT about race!

February 18, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  4. tia

im confused...cant the cartoonist explain the reason for the cartoon. if it was about the chimp that killed the gentleman then, why put in a comment about the stimulus bill?

February 18, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  5. nicole

hello anderson! i love your style! to the people who frown on the housing plan – u americans r lucky, i wish my president would implement president obama's strategy. come live in guyana without your american dollars and maybe then u'll appreciate what u have.

February 18, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  6. JC

Thanks, Anderson, for not allowing your guest to talk over one another. It drives me crazy too. (Hear that Larry King?) I change channels rather than listen to it. I always wondered why it didn't happen on your show. Now I know. 🙂

February 18, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  7. Jenn, Stanwood WA

Anderson, looks like you're the babysitter tonight amongst your panel! You tell em!

I must've missed something because I thought the cartoon was reflecting the chimpanzee that attacked his owner's friend. I never saw it as racist but now that it's pointed out...I can see why some (such as Rowland) are clearly upset.

February 18, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Jenn

Anderson: I watch your show almost every night to keep in the loop and like the way you stack up your stories and guests. I am used to the normal rotating folks like David Gergen, Roland Martin, Candy Crowly etc. I am finally irritated enough to say I'm completely over Roland Martin. I think that he is overly cocky and cannot stand how he laughs when others are speaking. He cuts people off if they dare disagree with him. Some nights I turn from AC 360 because of Roland Martin. He is rude and I can't believe you all continue to have him on. I'm a pretty open minded person and like to hear all points of view but his are always the same. Almost but not quite an angry black man right there night after night on a national news channel. Sad. And irritating.

February 18, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  9. Sheldon Greyell

Shame on NY Post and especially their arrogant response to the racist
    cartoon. The press needs to police themselves better and go after the
    NY Post and their lies just as intently as they have the politicians in Chicago.

10. Steve Curtis

I agree that in a perfect world those who went to the edge of legality and beyond to get their piece of the housing investment pie should not be rewarded, but the REALITY now is that we do not have the luxury of time to create the fix for the vast majority of those caught in this disasterous situation without inadvertently helping those who should not be helped. Instead, let's combine all these different bailouts... lower EVERY homeowners interest rate to current market rates for their loan as if they refinanced ... only no qualification, no appraisal, just send the notice that every homeowner's payment is now lower. For those who are not homeowners they get a $175 per month tax credit (that is the approximate amount of reduction per homeowner). WE DO NOT HAVE THE TIME TO DEAL WITH THE COMPLEX "SOLUTIONS" THAT IN THE END ONLY PROVIDE THE PERCEPTION OF A "SOLUTION"

11. Yoli

Anderson, I really like how you took control of the discussion regarding the Atty Gen's comment about a 'nation of cowards'. I can't stand it either when everyone's talking over each other. It was about to get pretty heated and you quelched the situation superbly. Kudo's to you!!! Wish more commentators would do the same so you.

12. Phyllis

I agree with EJ's comment, and worry about how out of touch Ron is, though that is my usual sense of his worldview. He posits that people who differ with him are wrong stating specific attitudes or behaviors, then promptly manifests them himself. It is discomforting to watch.

13. biba

Anderson your guest in the middle is just very off (i dont remember his name)...it is sad to see people like him (yes black people) explain and defend racism...

14. Hank

Anderson, kudos to you for telling two of your guests ( Roland in particular) to stop talking over each other., that it is annoying.

You are right on target. I, as many others, hit the remote as soon as that happens. Its more than annoying and irritating. Roland, one of your frequent guests, is particularly obnoxious in this regard.

Keep on stopping this whenever it happens.!

15. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I am a bit on the fence about AG Holder. I see Martin and Gergen’s points. I attend a college that is about 65% white and 30% black and 5% other ethnic groups, and every class I have been in the races always mix. Do you know who doesn’t mix (or does so rarely?) Men and women. I think we divide ourselves subconsciously – and not just by race but by gender, disabilities, etc.

Coop, thanks for calming the panel down! My hero!

16. Lawrence D

Chimpanzee racism? How many times was Bush's photo compared to a monkey? It's a double standard that all of a sudden our President is black so we can't satirize him as being an ape? Ridiculous – injecting racism into a situation where it doesn't exist.

17. Tim O

Hey Anderson, how about this idea for a game (instead of the picture caption thing)?

Try and guess what side of an issue Roland Martin will be on before he says it.

18. Mark

Isn't it obvious that the cartoon is about the stimulus package and congress going berserk? That it was so bad only someone with the mentality of a monkey could have written it? The chimp looks nothing like Obama. If it was meant to be a caricature of him, would it not have looked more like him to make the link more obvious?

19. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I have to agree with David and Roland regarding the cartoon...It does seem to be dripping with racism. Great discussion on the panel tonight...feisty but great!

20. Kathryn, Indianapolis

Ron Christy (sp?) is being an apologist with rose-colored glasses. Not talking about it doesn't make racism go away. Kudos to Holder for having the courage to be honest! I agree with Roland – Christy is delusional – hopefully from ignorance.

21. Carrie Bradshaw, Upper East Side

@Jo-Ann – Thank you – Roland is being horribly rude and someone needs to get him under control. Anderson should not have to break up arguments. Roland is escalating the issue, not helping to solve it. Making others angry is not a solution. And I LIKE Roland.

22. James W.

To the new US Attorney General, I caution you to understand that calling this great country, "a nation of cowards" for not stepping up to the plate on the issue of race, diffuses and further widens the divide within race relations. You are the US AG to speak as the conscious of this nation; not to attack it with broad stroke remarks reaching for attention. If anything you should be fostering the environment that welcomes honest, candid and respectful dialogue about race and race relations. Yes we may have a long way to go, but you sir have just added sparks to the smoldering embers.....Take the higher road (the one less traveled!) Thank you.

23. Coleman

Anderson, I am really getting sick of people throwing the term racism around. A picture of a monkey getting shot is not racist unless you make is racist. Any chance people get they throw the race card in to the topic and it is making me sick. We are way past 1968. Time to look forward people. It's time to grow up. And that goes for ALL people.

24. xtina, chicago IL

I can see both sides of the bad loans situation.
    you have to be frugal in the good times, in order to manage in bad times. On the other hand, large mortgage companies can be greedy. Maybe we have to even the playing field a bit

25. Valerie

The biggest problem (as I see it) is the ARMs that have now put payments out of reach... Doesnt matter how it happened. I'd like to see those mortgages refinanced so people can continue to pay the same payment. This may include lowering interest rates and increasing the length of the loans but I believe people would pay their mortgages if it were feasible. If we did this, money would start flowing back to the banks, they would be able to maintain their reserves and would not have to be nationalized. Finally (yep, I have an opinion), I believe that banks cant do this until orgs like fanniemae change their rules. Until then, the banks' hands are tied.

26. andy

Don't forget not only do we now have a african american president and Ag. but we have an african american supreme court judge and have had two secretaries of state. Don't forget them just becasue their politics may not be so liberal.

27. Shane, Las Vegas

The myth of Reagan, in 1981 he put in place huge tax cuts, in 1982 he had to put in place the largest tax increase in history to that point. He was a war mangering right wing idealogue and if you examine the facts of the history that becomes obvious. And the cartoon made me think of only one thing when I saw it a a middle aged white man, it was about Obama is what was implied, period!

28. Howard Stotsky

I don't think that any borrower helped under this new program to help homeowners should profit, by keeping any gains should the home appreciate, before the goverment or lender is first made whole. I don't see any provisions to prevent this form happening in what I have heard so far.

29. shola alimi

This guy here tonight is trying to make name on cnn. He sounds not knowing what he is saying

30. Glenn

I don't think the monkey comic is racist. The key phrase in the comic is someone else to "write" the stimulus. This would be refering to Congress, and they were indeed running around like a bunch of monkeys.

31. Nic

Looks like those who played by the rules and live within their means have to continue to pay higher interest rates and for the mistakes of others. Sounds like socialist America to me. Might have been better just to let the banks foreclose on these properties and Obama's money used to provide low rental housing to the victims instead.

32. Dick Brice

It seems we have become a Nation of mean-sptrited people?

33. lynn

tonight..all this business of racial cowards.
    Number one... isn't the president half white and half black? If the answer is no, then don't continue.

If the answer is yes, why is he called the first black president instead of a white president?

34. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

You rock Roland Martin! Racism is alive and well unfortunately 🙁

35. decor

Hi Anderson, I was listening to the comment about Holder, I'm black man, I've learned to judge people by personality instead of color, I wish the rest of us good do that, and I do agree that people are cowards when it come to discussing race, and your guest Ron is dullisional, he hasn't lived life as a black man

36. Arnette Shaw

I feel the Attorney General's comments were extremely accurate. Yes, we have just went through our most inclusive period with the election of the nation's first African American president, but, that does not fix our racial relations. We have grown up to socialize at work and possibly at school, but, that is far as it goes. We have yet to become a nation that looks at a man or woman for the content of his or her character, we first look at their color. There is still racism in America in 2009, it hasn't disappeared because we have a Black President.

37. Augustine - Savannah, Georgia

Anderson,
    Ron seems to be playing blind politics. It is shameful that the Washington Post would make itself an instrument of hate and division.

38. Kelley

I agree with Roland Martin, but does he have to sound be so condescending and arrogant in his words.

39. Mel

Anderson,

You just admonished your guests not to talk over each other, and not to yell. A thousands thanks! That kind of rude discourse is useless and causes me to change the channel.

40. Jane

It is time the black community taught their kids to be comfortable with who they are, and not try to let anyone intimidate them. Let New York Post go bust.

41. Jason

Eric Holder... you could have used a better word to describe America and race relations...but the essence of what you said was true.

42. benje

you should live here in west texas were more than half the population is delusional.

43. Alan

Holder is right, America needs a wake up call.

44. Brandi - bottom of the boot

i understand what this guy is trying to do. he is trying to tell everyone to stop looking at and for racism, but denial is not the way.

45. carolyn cee yah

RON THE EDITOR should'nt have let that got printed.
    the owner of fox media.

46. Louise Atlanta, GA

what is ron talking about....he doesn't make sense to me

47. Sunil

Would suggest participants in the session should also think and consider the target audience during the discussion and would be good not to yell at each other which is really annoying and I think would degrade the quality of this program.

48. Feldman

The fact that you are not excepting Rollin's point of view make’s Mr. Holders point. The comment by the other fellows is dead wrong. David is a good man but does not understand this issue. If it had not hit close to home, no one would be upset. Once we reach a point that we no longer have to have this discussion, then we would have made it along ways. I hope Mr. Holder investigates the NY Post as a hate crime. I then hope that Ron Christie never comes back. Please do not ask him, He can at best reflect a very small minority of opinion. WHY is he there?

49. Ryan in Evanston

@ Erica Hill - just FYI we love you!! My wife and I think you are the greatest! Thanks for all that you do, great reporting, having fun on the job and keeping AC and others on their toes!

50. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Chris from Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Yes I completely agree with you. It is why I have been asking over and over and over why not FEDERALIZE all banks with their hand out for money!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20