February 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/18/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Kishore

"nation of cowards"

Attorney General is "Absolutely" correct. Most of americans deal with race within limits and are not comfortable about interracial in private.

Kishore

2. Brandi

Hi there, does everything always have to be about racism? Can't we agree that all americans are racist, white americans as well as black americans.Get over it already not everything that is said has a racist meaning behind it.

3. Thomas

So what no one cares about the monkey being shot, stick to the problem . people get so caught up in the monkey they forget the real problem which is people loosing there homes there jobs there hopes there dreams get a real life an deal with the problems.

4. David larsen

Thank you for stopping these guys interrupting each other!!! Keep these guys CIViL!!!!

5. Judith Johnson

Ron whoever he is has obviously never lived as a Black man...held a position of authority with white subordinates where every his every decision is questioned, where whites disagree with everything you do just because you are Black. But yet and still those same subordinates say I agree with what you are doing.

He is not Black in heart, only in color. If he has experienced racism he has totally blocked out the experience. His proper ass needs to shut up.

Gergen like he said has never been a Black man.

I am a Black woman and Ron is just plain ignorant of what Black is.

6. bill

The issue is who will pay for the cost of these well intended spending / investing plans (housing, banking, economic stimulus ). Those on the right feel they are being forced to pay taxes, adding to the deficit, which will lead to inflation and China being our financier.

Those on the left, like myself, agree with the need to help those laid off, and at risk of losing their home, etc. But there is a way to do so and at the same time stimulate economic growth in the GDP – and thus afford these plans.

Osama’s plan originally called for “incentives to hire” but the house version limited that amount to $20 billion over 10 years= $2 billion a year.

If that spending was used in year one, and included penalties for laying off . I believe an economic plan that provided incentives to hire, and disincentives to fire or lay off employees, would be much more cost effective and could gain bipartisan support.

If implemented correctly, employers would have an incentive to create and/or keep jobs, and would need to consider other ways to reduce costs than laying off employees. For some employers, this might mean using less high tech equipment, and avoiding mergers, because potential savings would need to be weighed against costs incurred from reductions in the workforce.

7. Ken

Mr. Holder was right. Whites, of course, will choose to differ. Many people think that America is now perfect because there is a Black President and A.G., but they don't live the lives of ordinary Blacks who have to deal with racial profiling and a biased criminal justice system and ineffective education system.

I applaud Mr. Holder, but based on what I've been hearing from a number of people during the day, it's a waste of time. President Clinton had a board dedicated to this and nothing really changed. I guess we can just continue to go on pretending to live in a perfect world, but got to inner-city Detroit, D.C., or L.A., and I guarantee you that life for those people is no fairy tale.

8. Bea

Roland Martin needs to get control of himself. I agree with him but I hate how he expresses himself.

9. Sam Bailey

I think the attorney general's statement about Americans being a country of cowards was a little strong.I think that America's racist past and present is still strong.I developed back trouble and was forced to retire.A white male had back trouble and they quietly moved him to a job that didn't involve anything that would hurt his back.When I developed back trouble they made a federal case out of it sending me to company doctors.Another white male have the same type of problems and when he felt bad they let him go home.White people on my from my shift were calling me tell me what was going on.So,I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that racism is alive and well in America.

10. Robin - Texas

I agree with David Gergen, the cartoon is racist and The New York Post should apologize. what does the chimp that got blown away have to do with the stimlus?????

11. Denny

I don't think that Holder was talking about whites not including blacks only, but also blacks not including whites. We pick our friends due to our interests and our connectiveness. We are slowly getting better.

12. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I am waiting for Coop to go postal on the panel, except Gergen who is the only calm man. Gergen rocks. As always.

13. JC Smith

Obama didn't write the stimulus bill; he signed it. The cartoon is of a monkey and there is a history of jokes about monkeys doing things when humans fail.

This racist remark is uncalled for.

14. Andre R. Newcomb

Yeah. The cartoon is racist. Chimpanzees have been filmed eating flesh. Accepting that other organisms exist for the purpose of sustenance is racism. Flesh is racism. The female homosapien was drugging the chimp.

Andy of Sierra Vista, Arizona

15. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

David Gergen – Thank you for being a professional on that panel. Haha. Seriously, what is up with them tonight?

16. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

David Gergen, The people who would think that have evil minds to begin with.

17. Barbara

I'm a black American who agrees with Eric Holder. We are a nation of cowards with regards to race. Try starting up a conversation at the workplace. My late stepmother used to say, "Hit dog hollers". I think those who are so upset might be that hit dog.

Housing: I'm for it. I have no problem with my mortgage but helping my neighbors protects my home value. That's all I care about.

18. Maria

How did we become so selfish, vain and unforgiving as a people, as American. Teh good book tells us that when you are blessed enough to bless someone else with a helping hand or a kind deed, then you know you are trully blessed. My native American/Black grandfather had 100+ acre farm. I vividly remember my grandfather leaving baskets of harvest fruits and vegtables by the side of the road for the hungry and the poor who would often be too proud to ask for food they needed to feed their families. He also left rows of food adjacent to the road unpicked, so needy neighors or passerbys could pick their own food. For generations non of us have had to go on welfare. And I believe for generations we have been blessed as a family because my grandfather helped others in his generation. Let's be like Christ, lets be Americans Under God we trust President Obama is doing his best to bring back that American spirit...call it Stimulus, call it Bailout or just call it American.

19. Vanessa, TX

Anderson is right...when people talk over each other is annoying... 🙁

20. Cessy, Chicago

Regarding the cartoon at New York post...it's all about your own interpretation. Next subject!

21. Janet, Sarasota

That comic about the chimp isn't racist... I once had a boss who told us that a chimp could do his secretary's job. She was a female. Did that make it a sexist comment? Or was he just implying she was stupid? I'm not sure if that's any better!

22. shola alimi

I immigrated here from the UK and I always tell my husband what the attorney general just said.
    What he meant is that in the work place we seem to art like they are no racism but after work people go home to their alike race to hang out.

23. TiffanyC

Somebody needs to remind this guy that he is black!!

24. Chie

In terms of racism I still believe that it still exist, I lost my job recently to some so called white company who taught I was a threat to their job and I knew more than I was to know for a BLACK MAN.The same is happening with all job interveiw I am going to, They keep asking how did you know so much!!!. I stand with the Attorney Racism still exist and I took for one year.

Chie
    Alabama

25. Candiss

Are you kidding me? Where did you all give this guy from??? How the heck can see that this is not a racial thing...a monkey and the stimulus plan, what the heck???

26. johnetta

racism is very much really as a african-american i see it everyday. we have start being truthful about how we treat people.

27. Gerry

Good interviews on the attorney general statement and comic from the post! Intense... I appreciate Anderson not letting them talk over each other

28. gary jay

we bailed the banks. I get my chase bill tonoght and am charged 42.00 late charge and payment protection. probleem is it was 3 days before due date.called chase and they told me due date changes each month. they credited chg bak.how many good customers are getting hit like this. get money from the good guys that pay.i have 10000 otb witha 300 balance

29. John Lutes

Congratulations !! Nothing causes a channel change faster than impolite guests speaking over the top of one another so as to block hearing anything.

You are the first host I have experienced that put a stop to the behavior.

30. Michael from Cali

Eric Holder is just saying to the country what black Americans say to each other in private. I think as more African Americans ascend to higher levels in government, the country as a whole will discover what we talk about among ourselves. We've said for years America is most segregated on Sunday morning. Look around your church.

31. Darren

this reminds me of when some blacks thought the Paris Hilton ad was racist!
    it makes no sense!
    huh?

32. Eric

Bobby A., the problem is the smoke screen of the very fact that we did vote in the first black President. Along with the majority of the American population voting him in it's the minority of that population that holds the positions of power in our nation. That includes the Washington politicians. Bottom-line, these are the real racists. The people of power who are undercover Rush Limbaughs who in their hearts really want the President to fail and are doing everything in their power to do so. They don't mind the suffering of millions of Americans, they really don't care. These racists are only afraid that he will be very success, possibly more than any president before him. Don't be fooled America, many of the so called fair and balanced news agencies want the same as these racist politicians (Republican and Democrat).

33. Melvin

I am so tired of people saying consumers bought homes they could not afford. My wife and I bought a house for $287,000 that we could afford with a 657 credit score, 7.8% @ $2100.00 per month /3yr ARM via Countrywide. If my score had been a 750 or more, I would have had a mtrg.pmt of about $1500-1800. We could afford the $2100 per month and was never late for 2 1/2 years. What we could not afford was the $4008 mtrg. pmt. that the loan would escalate to after the 3rd year. Yes, we missed reading the fine print on that even though we are both highly educated professionals. If you consider the $$ that C.Wide was already making on us @ $2100 per month....we would still be in our home. We loss our home because we couldnt pay the $4008. Our credit now shows a foreclosure but excellent credit on all of our other bills. We were told we couldnt get help unless we were late. We tried to file bankruptcy–against our will–but would not qualify for a Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13–we would have been spending out more $$$ than what we were presently paying. So, what happens to the people who had descent credit and who was improving their credit with the greatest asset an American could have who have been foreclosed on???????????????????

34. Ken in NC

Ron Christie is one of the young people that is not old enough to relate to this cartoon. He is trying to be a good Republican.

35. Jacki

I do agree with the Attorney General's speech. Ron is so "white".

36. kim-chicago

I can't believe I am agreeing with the republicans on this issue but I think what Eric Holder said was not necessary and divisive.

On the cartoon...that was clearly disgusting and also not necessary.

37. Marcus

Is the guy in the middle slow? Of course that cartoon is racist. Even David said it was racist. He is ridiculous.

38. Renee

Goodness I didn't know black folks were referred to as chimps! This is news to me. Ron seems so right on. If you are looking for racism it is there. If you are thinking about current events, it is one crazy chimp.

39. Vicki Callahan

The government can't keep bailing everybody out. We are becoming more and more irrisponsible. My husband and I both worked hard, always lived within our means, put aside money for savings, and paid our bills. My husband lost his job twice in our lifetime when the companies he was working for were bought out by other companies. We always were able to pay our mortgage from savings until he found another job. Please stop rewarding irrisponsibility!!!

40. T. Rockhill

With regard to Mr. Holder’s remarks:

I was stunned and offended! We are a nation of cowards? What kind of guilt trip is this? Mr. Holder seems a bit fragile. There have been a lot of people in my life I have not cared for. However; at no time has it been for the sole reason of race. Rather, it is because of ideological differences for which no race has a particular license.

If I were his neighbor I would not be compelled to socialize let alone discuss racial matters. The beauty of America which should be self-evident to Mr. Holder is that he is free to express his opinion and I am equally as free to withhold friendship as a result. Get over it.

41. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

@David Gergen: "Full Moon Tonight"....I thought the same thing....thanks for the chuckle. Frankly, I don't get the cartoon...but it is odd that a cartoon of a chimp shows up after a chimp gets shot and killed by the police this week..

42. Trish Gorham

Yes, we are scared to death to speak of race in this country. We are incapable of having any rational discussion on the issue.

Look at your professional panelists. They can't even have an unemotional discussion. How can the average American?

I do not see the campaign and election of President Obama as evidence of much progress in the dialogue, either. After all, it took him until January of 2008 to begin to address the issue.

43. Douglas Toliver, Pittsburgh, Pa

We have come a long way in regards to race relations; but we still would rather avoid conversations about race just like two of your panel are doing tonight.

February 18, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  44. vanessa from silver spring, MD

No Roland, Ron cannot see the history. That cartoon was just WRONG!

February 18, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  45. LadyT

Hi Anderson, welcome back.

And whomever put that "comic" piece in the Washington Post is so racist, and why would the chief editor let this be put in his paper?. As a black woman it really worries me that it was a threat to our President. And they hid behind something that they tried to make it seem funny. NOT> and to some of your news counterparts, yes I agree, this country has come a long way. but that cartoon reminds us that racism will still raise its ugly head.

February 18, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Jan Baulsir

It is in the interest of all home owners to help those who are delinquent in their mortgage payments save their home from foreclosure. Anyone who understands the dynamics of the housing market recognizes the deepening crisis that would ensue if we allowed things to continue without intervention.

February 18, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  47. Chioma

What planet is Ron Christi from???????? Oh my God!!!! The New York Post cartoon is shameful and it's rascist!!!

February 18, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  48. Sherry, N. Calif.

You call that a cartoon? Please, our new Attny. General is right on regarding "Nation of cowards". He did not mean the military. The media really puts a spin on things to upset people. I live in a Republican county. Trust me, I hear plenty of racist comments. This cartoon was not funny. A woman lost her beloved pet. Most of all her friend is struggling to live as I write. It is time to help each other regardless of color or ethnic backgrounds. We live & should love, globally. This cartoon, must be the way this man thinks. It expresses that we are a "nation of cowards" and racism still goes on in our country of colors.

February 18, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  49. maggie g

I am an African American and Ron has a serious identity crisis. I feel sorry for him.

February 18, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  50. NJ Candy

Unfortunately it is quite sad, but what the Atty Gen stated is in fact true as evidenced by the heightened security that then Prez-elect Obama had to secure for his and his family's own safety, security and well being during the campaign, swearing in ceremony, etc. Need we add insult to injury with the ridiculous NY Post cartoon? It was obviously a racist comment made by cowards. Our nation is unfortunately full of many "cowards". Yes, there are many good people of all races, but the extremists are and do act "cowardly".

February 18, 2009 at 10:32 pm |