February 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/18/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Ade

I've always disliked Ron Christie....Roland is right....he's definitely 'delusional'...

2. David, Indiana

Hi xtina, missed your comment about Roland Burris last night. Thanks. I think he's been assiduoulsy forthcoming.

Good night Megan, Good night everyone.

3. Michael from Cali

WOW....The Attorney General sure hit the nail on the head! Look at how uncomfortable all these people are....

4. Sharon S

Good Night all!!! Great to have you back Anderson!

5. Glen Up North

11 PM!!! Evening all, including Anderson, Erica, David G, Roland (though he overspoke), and all here on the blog! 🙂

6. Renee

Okay, was it the CNN camera man or my bad eyes. Were the only children invited to our White House today African American children? Maybe Roland can follow up with the WH on that one? Did anyone see a blonde headed little girl or a white skinned boy? Just seeking first to understand.

7. Deena

I wish people would not use Monkeys to represent stupidity or that someone is an idiot. If you study Primotology, youll learn our little cousins, which is what they are are very intelligent.

8. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I though I was the only one who felt like I was dreaming while watching Ron talk tonight. Dude are you serious?

9. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Good night, Anderson, AC360 team, bloggers and Megan.

A great week for us all.
    Good rest!

Anderson and AC360º

10. Glen Up North

Comment to Glenn: if the cartoon was meant to say that a chimpanzee could have written the Congress bill, perhaps it would have been more fitting to see the old adage of 1000 monkeys in a room with typewriters, and one holding up a paper written on it: "Economic Stimulus Plan". Even then, it could be interpreted as racist, but maybe it could have been seen more as a comment along the lines of "Give 1000 monkeys a typewriter each and eventually one of them will come up with 'War and Peace'." Of course, this is all hyperbole, as I have no idea if the cartoon was intended as racist or not.

11. Ken

To JoAnne, "we" did not totally elect Mr. Obama. The majority of whites voted for Mr. McCain, but more whites voted for Mr. Obama than one would have thought... and for that I'm sure he is grateful... as am I.

Don't be angry though, I'm sure that you know that Mr. Holder wasn't talking about all whites, and he said that we all need to interact w/other races... not just whites should interact w/other races.

However, people of color have always had to interact w/whites (voluntarily or not) because they've primarily been the dominant group in society. Maybe it's time for more whites to reach out to people of color voluntarily.

12. Ted Miller

The woman from CA with the octs, she is immature. But the children shouldn't suffer. I say 50,000 of us send her a dollar, or to some sort of trustee.

13. John A. Dillard III

Although I question the Attorney General's wisdom in making the "Nation of Cowards" comment, especially being the first African American to hold that post, which in itself brings extra scruting. There is some truth to the matter. In this so-called "post-racial" society that is being constructed for us, the reality is that we do not live in a race-blind society as the raceless Ron Christie so incorrectly states. Rather, our race defines who we are, our heritage, our culture, and our experiences. The election of President Obama does not mean that white privilege is no longer the status quo of our society.

February 18, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  14. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Wow, ton of comments tonight! I honestly lost track of the conversation on here a little while back. 🙂

Hope everyone has a great evening! See you guys tomorrow.

February 18, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  15. vincent

I believe that we as African American's need to be a little less sensitive to those who are just trying to get attention on the behalf of African American's...I'm fifty and I've learned to be black and proud.
    Vince

February 18, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  16. Nade

I think Mr. Holder made a very bad choice of words, a person of his stature and intellect and as a member of the Obama team which has put great premium on words, he should have been more careful. I agree that we are hesitant in social situations to talk about sensitive issues like religion, political affiliations, sexuality, personal financial issues etc. The only safe thing to talk about is the weather and that is sad, we should try to have open conversations about these issues, but to use the word coward is like a punch in the face where a smile and an arm on the shoulder was more appropriate, to nudge people into a conversational comfort zone.

February 18, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  17. Lauren--NY

Good night, all! Excellent discussion.

Good night, Erica! Great to have you back this evening.

Good night, Anderson...enjoy the weather out there. Hope to see you tomorrow night.

February 18, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  18. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Goodnight all!

February 18, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  19. Sharon S

I have to say I loved your comment after the story on the family with 8 kids and the advice the kids gave!!! Great Job Anderson!!

You always say it so well! Thats what I love about you, you say it in a way they just don't even get it!

February 18, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  20. Dee Holen

The New York Post cartoon is the most racist cartoon I have ever seen.I makes me absolutely furious. I am not black, and I hope others like me will join Reverend Al Sharpton in helping put this newspaper out of business. I love President Obama and respect him more than any President in my life time and I am 80 years old. I am so insulted as to be speechless. I wish I could get my hands on that cartoonist and everybody at that newspaper.Such a thing must not be tolerated.

February 18, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  21. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Goodnight all you wonderful cyberspace people! I'm taking a vicodin and getting some zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    XO's!!!!!!!!!

February 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  22. Esma

Goodnight, everyone! To everybody at AC360, thanks for such a spicy show tonight! Bloggers: Same time tomorrow night?
    Hugs!

February 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  23. Brandi - bottom of the boot

goodnite all. exciting topics tonite. good to have regular cast back.

February 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  24. Oscar

I didn't appreciate Roland Martin and the other guests shouting at and talking over each other tonight. I don't watch AC360 to see that kind of squabbling. I applaud Anderson Cooper for speaking up forcefully against such conduct. Let ideas be shared. Leave the shouting for other shows.

February 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  25. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Michelle Obama has a way and a love for children! She's in her element.

Have a great evening bloggers! Nite all!

February 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  26. Uma in Liverpool, UK

In Europe and Asia, at sporting events (mostly... though it's getting more common in other contexts), people of African origin - wherever they may live - are jeered at by people making 'ape noises', and 'ape gestures'. The European Football Association punishes teams whose fans behave that way!

Of course, the cartoon was racist.

February 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |