February 13th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/13/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Brandi - bottom of the boot

Happy Heart Day all. Make sure to hug and kiss all you love.

goodnite.

February 13, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Polly, OH

Ha! I could not agree more with Anderson- Stevie Wonder should NEVER be subjected to the Jonas Brothers.

February 13, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

How can anyone not know about the conflict in the Congo????

February 13, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  4. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Good night, Anderson, and bloggers.

Have a good weekend!
    A happy Valentine's Day to all!

One more time, I give all my condolences to the families who lost their loved ones.

Anderson,
    For you, I wish, in particular, much rest. E prapare for the next week, OK?

Bye

February 13, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  5. John - Albuquerque

Emma – A-Rod won the MVP Award in '03, one of the years he admitted to using 'roids.

February 13, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  6. aimee, vancouver

finally a "word" on the conflict in Congo RDC???

February 13, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Fatima

The document is available electronically and that makes it easier to search for target groups, etc. I would expect the politicians to have the capacity to read this document even if they divided it up amongst themselves and staff. That is their job!

February 13, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Nattada, Houston TX

Well..it has been a hard week. Hope all of you has a great weekend.

Have a Happy Valentine Day tomorrow. Lots of love to you all.

Good night Anderson. Catch some rest. o.k.?
    Good night Randi and the crews.
    Good night best bloggers.
    Sweet dream.

February 13, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  9. Cherisa

Looking forward to the interview with Ben Affleck. His piece in TIME magazine was good but nothing compared to your work, Anderson. At least he's playing a part in raising awareness.

February 13, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  10. Bea

@biba. I've been to Senegal and to Goree. Beautiful people and beautiful country.

February 13, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Hillary B.

Yeah right, Boehner, because I'm sure if you had actually read the bill you would've thought about voting for it. I don't think so.

February 13, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  12. Paolo

Hi everyone!

I am thinking that Republicans almost unanimously voted "no" and those who voted "yes" wanted a compromise to weaken the bill's effects as a tactical measure because this version it won't strengthen the economy. Hence, if the economy continues to be weak as a result of this weakened bill, the only ones strong will be Republicans politically in 2010.

February 13, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  13. Nyresa

I'm really glad you're doing some coverage of the Congo tonight - the media seem completly uninterested in the terrible conflict there, so it's good to see it being covered here...

February 13, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  14. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Renee, The congress didn't read it and they are voting on it, most voters don't know what is in it either but they are supporting it.

BTW, did Geithner ever come up with those all important details?

February 13, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  15. Dave - NH

@Mike I know and it sounds like the upcoming credit market bill is going to cost several trillion dollars... eeeee...

February 13, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  16. Maureen T, Canada

Good night Anderson! I hope you will get some well deserved rest this weekend. You deserve it! I do hope you have a Happy Valentine's Day too! xo 🙂

February 13, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  17. Cessy, Chicago

Good night Anderson...have a great weekend. Be safe!

February 13, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  18. Tom of Philly

This peanut fiasco blows my mind, having been involved in restaurants in montomery county PA, we lived in fear of the local health inpector, they would threaten shutting you down for a cracked tile in the floor, because of the mold that can grow underneath, either the laws are different there, or food mass producers arent sublect to local heath code enforecments. Time to raise the national standards, I would favor a federal mandate for local authorites to keep watch versus flying government officials around, it just makes more financial sense..

February 13, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  19. Lori from IL

Good panel tonight, I always enjoy David Gergen's comments -

"Smart people on both sides of the aisle ...both arguing the exact opposite..." - just reinforces that no one really knows what will or will not work. We all need to be patient and hope for the best.

Why is anyone surprised by the partisianship vote tonight? Did we really think congress was suddenly going to change overnight? Change takes time and hopefully for the sake of our "union" it will come – on both sides.

February 13, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  20. Bethany-MI

Its Joaquin Phoenix! Driven out of hollywood by all those nay-sayers. He's such a talented actor though, hate to see him go...I'll have to check out his tunes.

February 13, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  21. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Anderson, I'm glad you are covering what's happening in the DRC on the show tonight. It's about time!

February 13, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  22. John - Albuquerque

Speaking of A-Rod... Are you a baseball fan Anderson?

February 13, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  23. Jennifer Owen

As we face this crisis and have been asking for cutbacks and less frivolous spending.... now we fly a plane to Ohio to pick up a Senator and his wife for a 30 second vote, then return them to the funeral.... This couldn't have waited two more days? How do we justify the manpower and cost of this??

February 13, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  24. miranda

anderson and team 🙂

make it a great weekend, may it find you well, and having a splendid valentine's day.

miranda

February 13, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  25. Jen in Mex

Re: Letting go and not worrying about what you can't control. For sure. The trick is figuring out what you can and can't.
    Like getting enough nappy time Anderson!!!!
    Seriously, you are a beacon at all hours for us. Thank you.

February 13, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  26. Kim Nelson

How can a bill be > 1000 pages? How can an honest vote be made on so many issues at once? Those lawmakers should be required to go through each topic one by one – or at least read the whole thing!

February 13, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  27. Esma

Randi, you rocked this Bulletin and this whole week!!!

February 13, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  28. Renee

@ Mike/Syracuse NY: Obama just proved it is business as usual in DC!

February 13, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  29. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

hopefully i can get some insight on what this bill includes.....still confused over here.

February 13, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  30. Bea

Randi, I don't think Bankruptcy will shield Peanut Corp from criminal action. It means that if someone sues they have to file the claim in bankruptcy court and take whatever share the judge gives them. But a prosecutor could bring criminal charges and could go outside of the FDA act to do it I think.

February 13, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  31. vincent

Anderson, from the sound of it you should really, really rest this weekend, thank you for you dedication to news.

Goodnight to everyone, hope to blog again on Mon.

Happy Valentines to Everyone!

February 13, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  32. Emma

I wonder if A-Rod won any awards while he was using steroids.

February 13, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  33. Michelle

Looking forward to the report on the Congo.

February 13, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  34. EJ (USA)

Thanks for blogging with us tonight Anderson – We know how busy you are. We appreciate it. Happy Valentine's Day!

February 13, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  35. Jana, Indiana

Great show tonight Anderson. Hope you get some rest this weekend. Happy Valetines Day to everyone.

Good night

February 13, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  36. Rikki, Fargo, ND

That is absolutely ridiculous and it makes me so angry that they are able to just file bankruptcy and avoid all lawsuits...somebody needs to take responsibility for the actions of that company and they need to be accountable to the families that have lost loved ones because of their negligence!

February 13, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  37. Glenn Charles

Hello Anderson,

Just a note on the terriable plane crash last evening. The type of plane that crashed is very similar in design to the ATR 400 & 500 that American Airlines fllew that crashed in a field in Northern Indiana around Chicago also I believe one crashed just south of Detroit. At that time it was determined that the cause of each was iceing . From the ATR incidents, many of that type aircraft was discontinued in the north american region, or cold climates. This might be a good one to check into.
    Thanks for your time,
    Glenn Charles
    Kalamazoo, MI

February 13, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  38. L Carilo, H.R. CO

Great sadness. No words.

February 13, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  39. Mike, Syracuse NY

The scary thing is that even supporters of this bill don't know if it will work. We just put $800 billion on a roulette wheel.

February 13, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  40. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Valentine's Day Gift – Brazilian Music (translation) Alone (Caetano Veloso)

Sometimes, in the silence of the night
    I'm imagining us
    I get there daydreaming, adding
    The before, the now and the after
    Why did you leave me so loose?
    Why do not you glue on me?
    I'm feeling very alone!

I'm not nor want to be your own
    It's that an affection, sometimes, falls well
    I have my wishes and secret plans
    Only open to you no one else
    Why you forgets me and disappears?
    And if I interest me by someone?
    And if he, suddenly, and win me ?

When we like
    It’s clear that we care
    You speak that love me
    Only it's out of the mouth
    Or do you wrong
    Or is not mature
    Where are you now?

February 13, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  41. Stacy

Anderson, I just watched the webcast and think it's fantastic you're having Ben Affleck on to talk about the Congo. I actually posted on the blog yesterday that I hoped you'd do that. It's great to take any opportunity possible to talk about the tragic situation in that country.

February 13, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  42. Ken in NC

Well the week ends on a somewhat somber note but I hope all of you have a great weekend and Anderson I suspect that you need a little sleep. Take care all Bloggers and see you guys Monday.

February 13, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  43. Monica from Sterling, VA

Anderson, I watched your entire coverage late last night on the unfortunate plane crash. (Hopefully you live near the station!) Thank you for always keeping us informed and always asking the right questions! My condolences and prayers go out to the families of this tragic event.

February 13, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  44. missy

will you be back next week, Randi?

February 13, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  45. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Kaye and Coop – thanks for the info about the next hour with the Congo. I wouldn't have known except I just happened to be tuning in to the webcast. I am looking forward to it. I am travelling to Africa next year for a semester abroad.

February 13, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  46. Maureen T, Canada

That peanut company is looking for the easy way out!

February 13, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  47. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

if that peanut plant is looking for a way out it's not going to work. the plant is already under investigation, and a banckruptcy movement could only jeopardize them even more.

February 13, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  48. Dave - NH

How anyone can blame the republicans for the content of this bill is beyond me. This is almost completely a democrat bill, like it or not.

February 13, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  49. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Anderson your killing me with anticipation. Who is the artist? I hope it's Stevie.

February 13, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  50. Courtney

Ok.....odds of people understanding what the heck you're saying are better if you don't flub the last sentence completely. So it goes....

On the economy and Obama....it's absolutely impossible to believe that people are already complaining about the man. The fact that this vote isn't bipartisan is Obama's fault? Unlikely. I personally think the bill is imperfect, from what I know about it, but it's something. We don't have time to wait for perfect. Perfect doesn't exist. If not for Obama one truly wonders if we'd still be standing here with our heads buried in the sand as things get worse but we're told we're all imagining it.

If you believed in Obama, then believe in him. Give him time.

February 13, 2009 at 10:52 pm |