February 13th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/13/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. biba

@ Anderson , with all your traveling , i was wondering if you have ever been in Senegal? my home country just curious...if not i hope you go one day...lot of history in Goree Island

February 13, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  2. miranda

anderson-

time will tell indeed, will there be room for the opponents to spin in their favor during their re-election campaigns two years from now, if president obama was right and this stimulus does work out?!

miranda

February 13, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  3. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I'm so glad that the stimulus bill is on its way to the White House...Its about time!

February 13, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  4. Tara-Round Lake, NY

Hi AC 360 Crew,

I commend your excellent coverage of national and world events as usual.

I am deeply saddened of the news of the Continental crash. I was a FAA certified flight instructor working out of Boeing Field in Seattle, WA in the early 1990's. I gave private, commercial, and instrument flight training in single and multi-engine aircraft. The Puget Sound with the Olympic Mtns. and the Cascades on either side is a flight corridor with much icing. I flew many training flights with students with ice build-up on the wings. We always followed flight training protocol and check-lists, but I am lucky to be alive. Icing conditions can be treacherous. I know the universe still wanted me here.

The Dash-8 is known in the industry to be a safe, solid airplane; I always wanted to fly one. I am sure the pilots of that aircraft did everything to the best of their abilities to arrive safely in BUF, but ice disrupts LIFT and LIFT is essential to FLIGHT. The NTSB will do their job and let us know what exactly happened according to all the info they gather, assimilate, and analyze.

My prayers go out to all the passengers, crewmembers, family, friends and the community of Buffalo.

February 13, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  5. Mike, Syracuse NY

I the days ahead, as we find out what's really in this, there will be a lot of angry Americans.

February 13, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  6. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

@Bethany-MI: Don't you love how we call each other Michiganders? Not to mention we live in the state shaped like a mitten! I guess it's just meant for us to deal with winter weather. Good luck with your trip to Seattle!!!

February 13, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  7. Nattada, Houston TX

Mr. President's favorite artist??

Let me guess.
    Is it Byonce!! 🙂

February 13, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  8. Buford

I like how fast they had to get it passed. Scary that no one read it and The Democrats fearless leader Nancy Pelosi had t get this passed so she could get to Rome!

Government Expansion at its finest!

February 13, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Christine--Toronto

I think it's Stevie Wonder!

Anderson?

February 13, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  10. Stacy

But Anderson, though there are some who see it as a moment of doom, most Americans support the bill. There will always be a percentage of people against everything the administration does.

February 13, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  11. Andrea

Connie L

This has just passed and its drawn the biggest line right down the middle of our country.

This is very sad for our country... You can't vote on something that is this big and important. In this length of time. I feel it should have been broken into 3-5 issues.

February 13, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  12. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Jana, That is a good question. Maybe I should drop Sherrod a little email about it.

February 13, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  13. Lauren--NY

Anderson, there's a middle ground there...I am thrilled that it is finally headed for the president's desk because as David Gergen has said, most economists have agreed that this will help and it is better than nothing.

That doesn't mean I think it's *great*, though.

February 13, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  14. Mike, Syracuse NY

How do you measure a 'saved' job? If unemployment claims don't drop does that indicate failure?

February 13, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  15. Renee

@ Jo Ann: Thousands of people didn't read their mortgages and they are in foreclosure. Congressmen did not read the bill. Where will we be in 2 years?

February 13, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  16. Greg, Austin Tx

So the bill's passed. I don't understand how 1/2 of the country can see the sky blue and the other half see rain. Surely there has to be an absolute truth somewhere.

February 13, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  17. Elizabeth Mathew,Atl,Ga

good evening anderson ,crew and bloogers..
    sad what happened last night..thoughts and prayers to all involved...anderson thanx for covering that even though i didnt catch it..i saw it breaking news at 12 am last night and felt really bad goin to bed....i know u are tired...so get some rest and happy valentines day to all....good day to spend some time with your loved ones people....

February 13, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  18. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

This is going to be nice for the economy. however, I don't know enough to convey an idea for the effect of this bill in the future. Maybe this will teach the Republicans to work together as a group with the Dems. 🙂

February 13, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  19. Augustine - Savannah, Georgia

Anderson,
    What exactly is the difference between this final bill and the one previously passed. Is this a new bill. If the Republicans have not read it and do not know its contents, how come they think its full of pork.

February 13, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  20. Emma

Are they rushing because someone has vacation plans? I really don't understand the urgency. Why not wait a couple of days so people can actually look over the bill?

February 13, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  21. robert

Well, it took a while Anderson, but they got it out of Capital Hill, finally.

February 13, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  22. Esma

What? No copious amounts of balloons falling from the ceiling? That was anticlimactic.

February 13, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  23. kenneth- Wisconsin

"A government plane... arranged by the white house".... paid by us.... If it was a corporate exec. it would be reprehensible

February 13, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  24. Mike, Syracuse NY

Congrats to the Dems, they have their $200 billion of pork included.

February 13, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  25. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Courtney, no need for apologies your post made perfect sense and they were beautiful words...thank you!

February 13, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  26. Bea

Ya know what they say. Democrats want to fall in love; Republicans just fall in line. I am grateful for the three independents, Snowe, Collins and sometimes independent Spector.

February 13, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  27. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

I just came home for the evening so I am late arrival to the blog.
    Have a good week-end everyone and Happy Valentine's Day to all @ 360 and all you loveable bloggers.

Roses are red,
    Violets are purple,
    We love AC/360,
    Like maple surple

XOXO

February 13, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  28. Dave - NH

Get one of them on camera and ask them about the $25M for the Smithsonian and see if they know anything about it.

February 13, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  29. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Thought of the opposition: If you can not help, disarranges, after the important is participate.

February 13, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  30. David, Indiana

I agree with what Carrie, and Lori from IL have said and so Happy Valentines Day everyone, Anderson, Randi, and everyone at CNN.

February 13, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  31. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Emma – With the number of documents that pass across their desks, it would be a physical impossibility to read them all. While I don't like that they don't read them thoroughly, it seems to be the only practical way to get things done.

February 13, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  32. Bethany-MI

Jolene...I'm a Michigander too..and I have to fly to Seattle in 2 weeks. A little nervous especially with all the ice..

February 13, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

They didn't put it on the website in a timely fashion because besides not being finished, they wanted to prevent anyone from searching it with key words.

February 13, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  34. Nattada, Houston TX

Wow..the bill is that big!!
    How would anyone get to read it before he vote for it.
    Won't they have to know what in it before casting the vote?
    Just curious.

February 13, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  35. Ken in NC

Anderson, Senator Brown from Ohio just cast the 60th AYE vote. The stimulus bill has passed the Senate.

February 13, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  36. Bea

I am so glad the democrats insisted on the extra time. Good for them. But I think they had enough time to read it if that's all they wanted. The problem is that the horse was out of the barn.

February 13, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  37. Chris

Cooper you must be napping during the commercial breaks after being up all night!

February 13, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  38. Sam M., Ewa Beach, HI

I saw your coverage of the airplane crash last night. I was up late on the west coast. The coverage was good and helpful. Thank you.

February 13, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  39. Jana, Indiana

I am sorry that this Senator's mom passed away, but I heard Congress sent a special plane to Ohio to pick this Senator up. I suppose our tax dollars paid for this flight?

February 13, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  40. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

The suspense is killing me! All these photos of the senator coming up to capital hill, wonder what he's feeling right now.

February 13, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  41. Linda

The Presidents favorite musician HAS TO BE Stevie Wonder, comeon President Obama he should win Hands Down.

February 13, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  42. Ken in NC

I wonder if I can go to my Credit Union and pen in an additional $50,000.00 to my present balance. Maybe they will not catch it.

February 13, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  43. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Joe Johns, That is no excuse!! I don't even like it when members of the Academy vote for movies they haven't seen

February 13, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  44. carolyn cee yah

hi anderson, they could have read that bill, it make the republicans
    look dumb. they are senators with aides.
    they are trying to block president obama, and let america go down the
    tube.

February 13, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  45. Andrea

What is 5 more days??????

Urgent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! come on... Are people reporting for work on Monday?

February 13, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  46. Dulcie - Denver

@ Stacy – I'm with you – I don't see how Anderson is still awake. I told my travel companion that I wouldn't be surprised if he took the night off. But no, here he is!

Yup, one of the hardest working people in news.

February 13, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  47. Emma

I really don't care how thick the stack is....if you haven't read it, you shouldn't sign it.

February 13, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  48. Glenn Scheske, Vernon, BC, Canada

This crash sounds like the same scenario as a commuter crash in the US Midwest several years ago where the plane was in an extended holding pattern in icing conditions. The cause was a stall/spin due to ice build-up. The aircraft was not a Dash but a similar design (high wing, high tail turbine commuter, possibly a Dormier or Embrauer). As ice builds up the wings the pilots can see it but they cant see the ice on tail surfaces (horizontal stabilizer and elevator). In icing these aircraft become tail heavy and among pilots it is apparently well known that the elevator surface is very small relative to the size of the aircraft. When the aircraft approached the stall there may not have been force and elevator excursion available to lower the nose sufficiently to increase airspeed and prevent the stall.

February 13, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  49. KarenT

Boehner saying not one member of the House read the bill is bunk. 90% of the bill hasn't changed and has been around for 2 weeks. They couldn't read the amendments?

February 13, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  50. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Gergen is so right. that senator did have a point and he did make a spectacle out of it. He's right how the country is still confused as to what is in that bill. There needs to be more effort to sell this thing to the people. If the shamWOW guy can sell a towel, then I think government can sell a bill

February 13, 2009 at 10:43 pm |