February 13th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/13/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Sharon

Hey Anderson, Do you sleep?

February 13, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  2. biba

Waw Anderson, I wish i could think like you...I hate flying...I am going back home this summer to Senegal...and i am already thinking about it....by the way have you eveer been there?

February 13, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  3. Carrie Bradshaw, Upper East Side

Anderson...you mean to say that after being on the air til 4am you flew to Washington and then back...today? God Bless you man!

Someone has earned his nap. Sheesh. You amaze me. And you are so my hero.

February 13, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  4. Courtney

Last night a plane of extraordinary human beings took off on a flight that would not make it's way home. I was in front of the fireplace, reading and watching the news, clueless to the existence of any of them. I hope that those individuals knew how special they were. I hope it isn't only in retrospect that the people who knew and loved them feel comfortable singing their praise. The thing that always bothers me about these situations is that I want to make sure every single person is given the same public respect. The 9/11 widow was a force, no doubt. The human rights activist was a force, no doubt. The musicians, the crew, the off-duty pilot...wonderful people, all. But so was the person in the 6th row who may have been estranged from his family or maybe had no family. So was the one with nobody to say "hey, my loved one lived, and was important, and I need people to know." My heart always hurts for that person. There's just no way, in the sort of world we live in, that many a hurting person lost their life last night before anybody had a chance to make things right.

If that makes no sense to anyone else, my apologies.....

February 13, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  5. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

This thing better create some jobs. i need one right now and it's not going too good.

February 13, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  6. greg bourgeois

I hear what your saying its approved – but when is the money going to get down and to who (federal, state, other)? How many jobs – where – and by who?

Is this another ploy to waste money – make the rich richer and the little guy looking in and waiting?

Who is responsible? We need names to point fingers if nothing is happening.

Where are the new jobs, what fields, who do you call?

February 13, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  7. Mary Beth

God Bless all those people.............................you need to love each other more and love yourself ...you never know when you will die and leave this planet ...Life is very fragile and the world has gone mad...turn back to God and pray more ....there is so much tragedy around us....pray for the families and the souls who have gone to God..................................love,love,love..........................

February 13, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  8. Jana, Indiana

My gosh Anderson, have you even been to bed today? You flew to DC and back after being up all night and now you are on. You are so dedicated.

February 13, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  9. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

Wow talk about frequent flyer miles Anderson you must rack them up like nothing ! I You must be so tired . I am not feeling well so i can't fathom the energy

February 13, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  10. miranda

anderson-

I am curious how would the government get back the money it will now loan the banks especially if the bank goes under?

much thanks
    miranda

February 13, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Michelle

Thank goodness the stimulus bill passed. People are really
    hurting and it shows the world we are serious about fixing
    the problem.

February 13, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  12. Roberto

DOES anybody knows how the U.S. gets the money for the bailout,??? I know it comes from Europe and China,,but how is it moved? by ship? by airplane? how is the money physically moved to the US.?? thank you.

February 13, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  13. Brandi - bottom of the boot

@ anderson,

i never liked flying, but i have found lately to have very few fears. i have learned to let go of what i cant control. funny that you put it that way. 🙂

February 13, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  14. Vicky, Ottawa

As others have said, Anderson, you handled the breaking news with real compassion and sensitivity. As always, you are professional without being distant.

February 13, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  15. renee' Nashville,Tn

I am praying that the Stimulus works well and sooner than is expected. I hope that the republicans will begin to accept their part in the crisis and begin to cooperate when the changes begin to work.

February 13, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Sharon

Good for Chris Dodd.

February 13, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  17. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

The palne was enroute to the ais port ?Flying over resdiental area i.I t went out of control there was no time to safley land the plane ? A witness said it sounded like an earthquake.

February 13, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  18. Stacy

Way to go Chris Dodd.

February 13, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  19. Susan

Hey, how about mentioning that some Democrats voted against the bill? Isn't that important?

The last time the Democrats controlled the Congress and the White House Carter was in office. Boy, this has the same feel.....fun to watch.

February 13, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  20. Tom of Philly

i hear you about the jets, and how they are safer, but the airlines have gravitated toward hubs so instead of a jet stopping in buffalo or rochester or syr on its way from nyc to chicago they have shifted to shuttles to bring people to the larger cities then fly from nyc to chicago in a jet, my dad has to take a shuttle from rochester to newark then non stop from newark to sanfracisco..

February 13, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  21. Dave - NH

Ok so none of these jobs are for professional positions, like computer engineers, financial planners, etc. These all seem like very blue collar jobs, but the middle class is not all blue collar.

And sending us a check for $400 or $800 is a waste of time. That's not going to change anything.

February 13, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  22. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

This week is a difficult week, one more. Began with the postponement of the package of Treasury Secretary. When it was, was a disaster with the markets confused and fall into pockets around the world. Many details missing.

There was also another package approval of the government of President Obama in the Senate, to stimulate the economy. The final text is still awaiting approval (and may be approved today).

The bipartisan government, of President Obama, gets back, with the refusal of Senator Judd Gregg for the office of Secretary of Commerce.

Let’s hope for the next week is better!

February 13, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  23. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

can't wait for the four-hundred! Need to buy a new Nikon....

February 13, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  24. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I hope some of that infastructure money is going to New Orleans. I hope Obama takes initiative to stimulate growth and jobs in that city. I went this past summer and it is a bit of a ghost town compared to what it was. I need our President to step up what the previous administration let slip...which is a lot.

February 13, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  25. Bridget,TX

@Kenneth Wisconsin, did I miss P. Obama signing the bill?

February 13, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  26. Connie L in slc

I just received a letter today that Capitol One is raising my credit card rate by 10% due to the current economic crisis. I have paid all my payments on time. How can they get away with this while collecting government payouts?

February 13, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  27. EJ (USA)

I totally forgot it is Friday the 13th. I never considered myself supersticious, maybe I will rethink that after today.

Well – the crash was actually on the 12th – so I still would recommend the movie.

February 13, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  28. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Polly, OH – I was going to say the same thing, then decided to be nice and let it slide. Scrolled up, and there was your post. 🙂

February 13, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  29. anderson cooper

Michelle – i dont worry about flying.. its so out of my control, there is no point in worrying... as a matter of fact at 5am this morning i was at the airport and flew down to washington and then back late today..

February 13, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  30. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello Anderson, Randi, and bloggers! Sad day indeed. It's unfortunate that it takes a tragedy like this to bring out the best in people and make you appreciate life more.

February 13, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  31. Bea

Who will regulate whether states will use the money for what they are supposed to use it for? We had to watch the wall street folks, don't we have to watch the governors too? What stops them from shifting money to what they want to shift it to?

February 13, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  32. Mary Beth

God Bless those people...........................

Life is so fragile...we need to love ourselves more and love each other ....you don't know when you will leave this planet and die. God wants us to turn back to Him.......The world has gone mad........tragedy is all around us.....Go back to God............

February 13, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  33. Lauren--NY

Polly, very cool–I'm glad that you guys liked it, too. My dad listens to the audio versions of books on the way to and from work, so that's what he's doing now.

Ashley, I always enjoy your posts and am very happy and relieved that you are okay.

February 13, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  34. Heather - Spokane, WA

Randi, if you want to know how to make chocolate covered strawberries I can tell you. Its very easy to make them

February 13, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  35. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Washington State is looking forward to our school improvements because of this bill...

February 13, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  36. Dave - NH

Anderson, is there a 9/11 fund that Beverly Eckert had set up? I missed that if so, but given she was so active it seems likely.

February 13, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  37. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

What did cause this crash the weather icing on the wing of the palen? I didn't here an exact response .

February 13, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  38. Sharon

President Obama is definitely a mobile president. I think he likes the campaign trail, because this week seems like he has continued on that journey.

February 13, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  39. robyn caffrey keyser'' west virginia

hi anderson'

i wanted to cry when i herd about that crash.i was waching on cnn around 4:30 am , then at 5:30 am i took my dog out for a walk, and i looked across the street from me and the one mountain was bright orange, i knew that buffalo ny is only like 3 hours away, i then thought it could be that crash. just want to say , and please ( god forgive me for saying this. i hope and pray that "" john beohener" and that eric
    what ever his last name is and john mccane, all found sleep' real good, and who ever did have doughts. as i know one part of that stimulus would make the techenoligy find more ways to be alerted on this world. and all the people who voted for mccane hope ' everything stays cool with you's. i'm sorry " yes i can + yes we will
    and yes we can

February 13, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  40. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Ms. Eckert's story is inspiring and I'm not usually one to cry but that story definitely made me cry...and Brandi, I was thinking the same thing. They are celebrating together tonight.

February 13, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  41. Greg, Austin Tx

Yes it's been a strange sad day. The knowledge that the Hudson River folks survived helps a little but we all still grieve over today's loss. Hopefully flights will get safer in the future as we learn from our mistakes.

February 13, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  42. David, Indiana

Anderson, I don't know it this is a good question, but do the de icing boots inflate and reinflate automatically? If they were on, why was ice accumulating?

February 13, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  43. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Serious problems in the US economy were left out of the new package, to the stimulus.

February 13, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  44. Emma

By the way, your coverage last night was excellent! I stayed up until 3:45 am....I could not stop watching.

February 13, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  45. Esma

I'm hopping and spitting mad (it creates a comical visual and we all need that now) about the stimulus plan, no one in Congress read it!!! It's the flippin' Patriot Act all over again!!!! Congress: you're not seniors in high school! Read the bloody thing!!!

February 13, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  46. Cessy, Chicago

This is truly a very sad day... I was thinking about those passengers–what they were going through at the time. My condolences to their family. I was very moved by the hardwork shown by the men and women who worked all night and gave us reports of what might have happened.

Hearing Ms. Beverly's news brings me sad memories about the 9/11. in 2001, I worked for a financial firm here in Chicago. Sadly we lost most of co-workers in New York when the plane hit the Twin Towers. We occupied an office at the Twin Towers back then. You'll never know what life brings you. One day you're talking to them on the phone about stocks and bonds, life in NY, etc...the next day, you hear that they're gone.

February 13, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  47. Shillie, Sioux Falls, SD

Like everyone else, my thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends. Anderson, thank you for the great coverage last night, and for keeping us up to date while protecting the sensitivity of the issue.

It's crazy how it takes things like this open up our eyes to realize how petty some of our problems are. Life is fragile, need to be thankful for every day we have with our friends and family.

February 13, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  48. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Wow, Randi... I started the webcast at the part about the history of Valentine's Day. Don't think I'll be ever to quite see it the same way again.

February 13, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  49. Dave - Buffalo, NY

Hi, pilot here in Buffalo. I have flown the approach to Runway 23 about a hundred times. I have listened to the ATC audio and can almost seemyself flying the approach. I was saddened to find out today how the Captain and First Officer discussed the operation of the flight surfaces and landing gear and then went on to lower the flaps. The loss of control of the airplane after this is pretty classic for an icing induced "stall-spin" accident. Basic theory here teaches pilots NOT to change configuration of control surfaces (flaps) when flying in a known icing condition. Although I am not familiar with the Pilots Operating Handbook for this aircraft, I would be interested to learn what the operating parameters are for changing flap settings in known icing. Buffalo is a surpisingly small community. Although I did not personally know anyone on the flight, I have already spoken to individuals who have lost someone. My condolences to all families and people associated with this horrible accident.

February 13, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  50. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Difficult week, one more. Began with the postponement of the package of Treasury Secretary. When it was, was a disaster with the markets confused and fall into pockets around the world. Many details missing.

Let’s hope for the next week is better!

February 13, 2009 at 10:29 pm |