February 13th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/13/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. jorge PE

Anderson
    This is so sad news, all the time i think is safer to travel by plane but when an air accident occur , i am scared to travel to fly again.

February 13, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  2. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Cooper – I know that there is other news tonight, but any idea on why the plane nosedived the way it did? Even if it spun it should have certainly taken out more than one house. Our thoughts were wondering if the pilot was trying to save people on the ground.

February 13, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  3. Chris

Good coverage last night Cooper for such a sad event. I didn't expect to see you up so late. Terrible for everyone on board. Extra sad for the woman who lost her husband in 9/11 and now she lost her life in this tragic plane carsh.

February 13, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, Congress doesn't know what is in the stimulus bill because they didn't have time to read it! It is irresponsible for them to vote on something they have not read!

February 13, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  5. Maureen T, Canada

Anderson,
    Beverly Eckhart has been reunited with her husband. There are in a better place...

February 13, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  6. Dave - NH

Andrea, I'm unconvinced about the bill and the several trillions of dollars that we'll be spending on the next bills as well. I've lost a lot of hope in this administration.

February 13, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  7. Maxine

I was born and raised in Buffalo (even attended the same high school as Wolf Blitzer). The winters are brutal; the people are great. Of course they ran to the plane to help. That's what they do.

I had been friends with someone on the plane, but lost contact after I moved. Her name was Susan and she was absolutely full of life. People always say this after tragedies, but in this case, it's so true - always laughing, singing, and possessing a spirituality and unique "aura." I am so sorry I didn't keep in touch with her. As President Obama said, life truly is fragile.

Say hello to your neighbor. Call a long lost friend. Just be there.

February 13, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  8. Steve, Ft. Smith, AR

After listening to the entire ATC Tapes from 5 minutes prior to the accident and 10 minutes after, Im sure that severe Icing was the major contributor to the crash. At the time of the accident, several airliners indicated to climb without delay after departure due to ice buildup. After being handed off to the Tower, Flight 3407 had no further response. The next step on a Normal approach in this situation would be to slow the aircraft, flaps..ect and lower the gear. Such procedure in a severe icing condition could result in a stall condition and a resultant spin. This most likely was the situation as an eye witness saw the aircraft in a nose down turn, in which the airplanes direction was opposite the runway heading as it struck the ground.

February 13, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  9. Polly, OH

For a second there, I thought Anderson would spoil the President's favorite musician like that one exhausted program after the inauguration. You know, "Here's a hint: IT'S THE JONAS BROTHERS."

February 13, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  10. Carrie Bradshaw, Upper East Side

Randi, your piece on Beverly is so sad, but yet, they are together now. That is the thought that will get me through. Wow, so heartbreaking for thier remaining family though.

I totally forgot it is Friday the 13th. I never considered myself supersticious, maybe I will rethink that after today.

February 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  11. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I wonder who President Obama's favorite artist is that he's honoring at the WH. I hope it's Stevie Wonder. I really hope this stimulus package gets passed, and more importantly that it works.

February 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  12. Esma

I would like Obama's favorite artist to be David Bowie. Just because.

February 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  13. Cherisa

I heard Ms. Eckert's voicemail messages from her husband from Sept. 11 on NPR on my evening drive home. I cried all the way.

February 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  14. Bea

Re the stimulus, I don't think of it so much as grandchildren paying. Every generation stands on the shoulders of the one before,. They benefit from work done before them. They will pass on benefits and debts to the next generation. I think of the stimulus as saving an economy so that they can have a chance to have a decent quality of life. Hopefully, before too long we can cut into that debt.

February 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  15. Linda

All I can say is Anderson, you are the greatest. Such dedication and endurance in your reporting on the airplane crash last nite. I feel so very sad for all the families of the people who have lost a love one on this plane.

16. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Pres. Obama took the view, what to do bipartisan government is complicated!

The opposition is always opposition, mainly in country like US, where political parties are so well defined!

17. robert

Kudos Anderson, great reporting last night. My TV actually woke me up around 2:00 am. I couldn't believe my eyes! (My family lives near buffalo) I'm gracious that they were saved, but I mourn for those who lost loved ones.

Thank you for staying on top of the story.

18. Shari

CNN Staff :, I was up most of last night, watching your coverage. Great job as always. Mr.Tilman, you are a "Class Act" You are all facts ! You have a great Calm about you.
    Thank You for keeping the average person well informed. It is an honor to listen to you speak.
    Anderson,you have led us all through some horrific news and you are a News Anchor with a heart of gold.
    God bless all the families. Your love ones will now Fly with the Angel's. Their charities on Earth will never be forgotten

19. Emma

I have to fly into NYC three times in March. The two recent incidents are making me real nervous about the trips.

20. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

The idea of fyling scares me Anderson you fly all time does it ever make you feel nervous or have anxiety ?

21. carol kesling

happy friday the thirteenth to all at 360 !!!!!! thank you all for the extra coverage last nite on the plane crash, my deepest sympathy to all the families !!!!!!!!! HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. kenneth- Wisconsin

Stimulus??? Not one single congressman who voted read it! A trillion dollar bill... 11,000 pages. The rules of congress call for a waiting period of 48 hours before a vote. B. Hussein Obama promised that he would post online for 5 days all bills before he would sign them. He is zero for 2 with this promise. This will be number 3. Go ahead and blame the Republicans. The economy will be Obama's Iraq. Good luck with that.

23. Ashley DiPasquale

My heart goes out to the families that are affected by the tragedy in Clarence Center. I am from Niagara Falls, NY. When I heard about the crash the news reports first said it was a small plane. But when I turned to CNN it said breaking news plane crash in Buffalo, NY. I knew it was something more major if it was on the major news channels about the plane crash. It is really said about all of those lives that where lost last night.

24. Brandi - bottom of the boot

what an amazing woman. i understand what drove her. she celebrates his birthday beside him now.

25. Lisa Griffiths Benalla Australia

I agree with Carrie "Tell the people that matter how you feel" this is a not so gentle reminder for Valentines Day, a chance to appreciate what you have and who you share life with.

Example Beverly spoke always from the heart she was courageous.

26. EJ (USA)

JoAnn,

Why would you be surprised that Sherrod Brown is voting for stimulus?

He's not really the deciding vote – It's just that he was at a memorial or funeral for his mother. I'm pretty sure all the Democratic Senators' votes were decided a while ago.

27. Ken in NC

The vote is coming in shortly on the stimulus bill Anderson and while none of us know if it is going to work or not, I pray that it will. We as a nation have never spent on a scale such as we are about to do shortly if this bill passes but I do know that even those of us that harbor doubts about it's ability to work, I hope everyone will pray that it does work.

I is sad that so many want to see this effort fail. I just hope that at some point they will realize that to fail so that they can say "I TOLD YOU SO" would be the least of the consequences we will face as a nation.

28. Mary Beth

God Bless all those people.................................the world has gone mad , so many tragedies and deaths around the world. This crash reminds us fo how fragile our gentle lives are. You need to love yourself and each other because we don't know when tragedy can strike...you don't know when you or a loved one could leave this earth......God is allowing this to happen so we all go back to him.....to Jesus.........................people need to convert......

February 13, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  29. Michelle

That is so sad about the 9/11 widow.

February 13, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  30. Kimberly

"To fly west, my friend, is a flight we all must take for a final check" What a very sad tragic occurence that has happenened as if we haven't had enough already. My Hopes and Prayers are with thier families and myself a Pilots Wife Hope I Never Recieve That ill Fated Call.....

February 13, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  31. Sharon

Good evening all, anxiously awaiting the vote on the stimulus bill. From my understanding, once again the middle class working person has to fit the bill for the bailouts, but apparently there is very little relief in the bill for us. The tax cut will not even cover the cost of living for us. That tax cut will definitely not afford me any way to spend any extra money, only means more cutting back on spending.

February 13, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  32. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

This woman's story is making me cry...:(

February 13, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  33. jonathon

Anderson, thank you for being sympathetic to us in Clarence, NY. You were the only broadcaster who had the sympathic voice to say "perished" for the loved ones who were lost in our tragedy.

February 13, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  34. Vicky, Ottawa

I just feel so badly for the families right now, and all are remarkable people to those who loved them. Eventually, we'll find out what factors were involved, but this discussion is making me very aware that there's much of life that's beyond our control. I fly on Dash 8's quite a bit, and it seems to me that the Q400 is bigger than the earlier versions. It's disconcerting that you can hit a pocket of bad weather, and have such a different outcome than other planes going through a bit earlier or later.

February 13, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  35. Lauren--NY

Oh, Chris–I'm in Orange County so perhaps we will be neighbors shortly. I make it to the city when I can.

I'm just so tremendously fortunate that everyone I know in the Buffalo area is all right...there weren't many and they got back to my texts rather quickly. I echo what everyone has been saying...this just reinforces how fortunate so many of us are. What a horrible thing. I'd say that my thoughts are with them, but it just seems so empty, you know?

February 13, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  36. Stacy

Anderson, you did a good job with the coverage. I first read about the crash online and then turned on CNN. I appreciate how cautious you were with all the information quickly coming in. This situation was tragic enough–it would be even worse if someone learned by watching TV that their loved one had died. So thank you for being careful.

February 13, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  37. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Many mortgages are performed daily in the US. This means that many families lost their homes. Every day. This is the heart of the matter and not only for obvious humane reasons, but because throw down the roles property, buildings, assets of banks, consumption, and employment.

February 13, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  38. biba

You are obviously very dedicated to your work...but hope you take some time to enjoy life. I always tell that to my father, he lives to work...he is in COngo right now and i am thinking about him a lot tonight.

February 13, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  39. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

I hope they pass this bill for the sake of the economy and it should have improvements.

February 13, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  40. Lori from IL

Wow - Anderson,

Great job, you and "Jack of all Trades" basically working on the fly as the breaking information came in - I could tell by the tone of your voice last night that you were truly saddened by this event - we all are.

I pray that the loved ones of these families find healing in the days ahead.

February 13, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  41. Maureen T, Canada

Anderson,
    you are the consumate professional, while I was counting sheep early this morning were on the air live! God bless you for bringing the news to the night owls! You are the best Anderson!

February 13, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  42. Bern Houston

I am wondering if Flight 3407 was deiced before it left at Newark.
    Everyone the flys needs to listen to that small voice that speaks to your heart that may be telling you or warning you not to board that particular flight. It isn't a passing thought, it's a lingering thouht or series of thoughts. My grandfather had that experience long years ago, and the train he was suppose to get on going to Houston, derailed and every passenger was killed. Thank goodness he did not take that train! I also realize that some things just happen, and that is fate, as sad as it is. My prayers are with the loved ones of these passengers of that flight.

February 13, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  43. anderson cooper

Greg – interesting detail.. thanks for sharing your expertise.

February 13, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  44. Jana, Indiana

Anderson, thanks for telling us how your involvment came about. You have to be exhausted after being up till after 4:00 am this morning. I am sure you are ready for the weekend.

February 13, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  45. Andrea

Anderson,

Please lets be real, I voted for Obama but am loosing the faith fast...
    I am so disapointed in the way the bill is being passed by all democratics people. I really thought change was coming... I feel cheated and now my grandchildren will have to pay for the most terrible bill ever passed. By the way does this give us all the right to not read our job material? If so I guess the fact that I work in intensive care and give medications or operate equipment that could kill someone in a moment... Doesn't really matter... I dont need to take responsibility to doing something as small as read.

February 13, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  46. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

She was marking her husband's birthday? crushing my heart into pieces and throwing them away..........That's not cool, not cool at all. But at least they are together in a happy place.

February 13, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  47. Dave - NH

Are there any funds set up for any of these families yet?

February 13, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  48. Bea

Wow, that 911 widow's story is so very sad. Incredible that she would die in that circumstance given her husband's death.

February 13, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  49. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Carrie – You're welcome! Hope you have an excellent Valentine's Day as well.

February 13, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  50. Douglas Frank

Question concerning the NY Plane Crash that I have not heard asked – the answer too.

Anderson- Please find out how long it would have took for flight 3407 to fall from 1200-1300 feet to the ground??? *Educated guess that is*.

I covered all of your emergency broadcast early this morning and I am a huge fan of yours. I'm an insipiring broadcaster and I study you often!

Vancouver, Washington