February 13th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/13/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. sean brizendine

anderson the plane crash in new york is just terrible my prayers for everyone.
    "sean in santa rosa"

February 13, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  2. EJ (USA)

Hi Ashley, Brandi, Chris,

February 13, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  3. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

Wow Anderson You must be tired from your long night last night
    The lord works in mysterious ways.Susan was so lucky to be spared from this i can't imagine how she's feeling

February 13, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  4. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Not everything is bad or disappointing news!

I read today that sales at US retail, which had a strong fall, surprised the market with (little) high sales.

And David Anderson,
    Please talk about this news.

February 13, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  5. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am disappointed that my senator, the one that I voted for, Sherrod Brown, was expected to be one of, if not the deciding vote on the stimulus bill tonight.

February 13, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  6. Joe Troll Compton, CA

Hi AC,

Honestly, do you think the stimulus and bailout(s) will work?

Me neither.

February 13, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  7. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Irony is fun, sometimes. Now it's gone wrong. To have a woman widowed by a terror, and then to die herself in a terror of flight. It puzzles me and questions all of my beleifs.

February 13, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  8. vincent

Hi Randy-Kaye...i left you out of my initial greeting.

QUESTION: to upcoming panel – re: stimulus bill, many are complaining that they did not have time to read the bill. If President Obama is not planning to sign the bill until Monday, why couldn't the vote be delayed so everyone could read it?

I know Nothing would change the republicans' minds, but the American public would have had a chance to read through it.

This action would have killed any complaints re: this issue by anybody!

February 13, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  9. niwat, Chicago

Hi AC, AC360 casts and bloggers,

Great coverage last night, Mr Cooper.Also, fantastic collaborative effort of NY state polices, fire-fighters. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and loved ones of flight 3407 victims.
    @ Randi, I thought the same thing of Friday the 13th.....i mean up to this point, there is little details how the airplane went malfunctioned. The conversation between the pilot and air-traffic controller couldn't detect any distress. The weather could play a role,maybe the engine propeller hit by an gigantic ice hail.

February 13, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  10. miranda

anderson-

thanks for having mr. tillman on he allowed for articulation and not speculation and much thanks for doing the same.

miranda

February 13, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  11. Paula Makar

I stopped riding in turbo props after all those crashes in Indiana.

February 13, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  12. Dulcie - Denver

What a terrible tragedy. If I'd left the TV on just a bit longer, I'd have caught the coverage.

I have to fly tomorrow so these two incidents make it a bit nerve wracking. Of course, I have to drive through a snowstorm to SLC first... Yikes.

February 13, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  13. Tom

Things must have been happening by the second for the crew of the fatal flight. Almost impossible for any human to react to. I just hope the victims didn't suffer and my deepest sympathies go out to the families.

Tom, Ontario Canada

February 13, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  14. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

It's difficult, but we have to think positive:

In the end everything will give right. If everything not gave right, is because not yet came the end.

February 13, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  15. EJ (USA)

Hello Mr. Cooper, I stayed up until 1 am watching CNN. Did you come in later to report on it?

He was on maybe a few minutes after 1am EST.

February 13, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  16. Deb

RE: Plane crash–some (if not all) firefighters were volunteers. Could you please do a story on how rural communities depend on these selfless people. I lost my home in Adams Center NY–the flames were fought and doused by 100% volunteers, neighbors who ran family farms and dropped everything when the siren rang to come to our aid. I think it would be a nice note to this tragic event to commend those who volunteer without expecting $$ (are you listening Wall Street?) to help others–it is also a goal of the Obama admin. to increase awareness of this dying breed of individual. I rarely if ever have seen a report on the volunteer firefighters. They certainly deserve our commendation, as do all 1st Responders.

February 13, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  17. Philoan Tran - Houston

My prayers and thoughts are for the deceased and their families on this horrible plane crash.

Kudos to Anderson, Jack, and all @ CNN last night for going over and beyond in bringing the breaking news of the plane crash.

February 13, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  18. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

Hello Anderson and Randi Megan ,Glen , Brandi

Happy Friday !
    Posting from my sick bed tonight i t's so awful My pryers go out to the families of the plane crash

February 13, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  19. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

President Obama took the view, what to do bipartisan government is complicated!

The opposition is always opposition, mainly in country like US, where political parties are so well defined!

February 13, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  20. Heather - Spokane, WA

Im kinda surprised the airline didnt cancel the flight with the weather they were having

February 13, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  21. Dennis Noah

Is it not true the aircraft with deicing boots versus heated deicers are more difficult to deice?

February 13, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  22. Gina

Everyone keeps talking about the weather in Buffalo last night. I was in Western New York last evening. The weather was so typical. It was not unusually poor. It was actually quite warm and mild. Yes there was a bit of sleet falling, but it wasn't bad. There HAD to have been something else. There had to have been something wrong with the plane. There is no other way to explain it because the weather really was not bad at all for the time of year we are in. If anything it was more like November Buffalo weather than February.

February 13, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  23. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Anderson, that isn't a stupid question at all...I actually was wondering the same thing. Thank you for staying up so late to bring us the breaking news. You really are incredibly dedicated.

February 13, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  24. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Cooper, thanks for filling us in on how everything happened last night. Us Upstate New Yorkers, and everyone else, truly appreciate and are moved by such a dedicated and extensive coverage of CNN and your crew. I cannot begin to tell you how it devastating it is to see such a tragedy on the front page of a local newspaper.

February 13, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  25. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Anderson, thank you for doing that. I find it admirable and impressive that you consistently give more than you're required. It speaks very highly of your sincerity and commitment. I just realized I actually tuned in at around 4:15, which is why I don't recall seeing you on there.

February 13, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  26. Cathy

Anderson, I am a very frequent business traveller who lives in Burlington, Ontario, a short distance from Buffalo. As a matter of fact, I was on a flight to Toronto today from New Brunswick and felt nothing but deep sadness knowing how those people perished last night. It simply made me think that it could have been me and although it wasn't, this tragedy will not be forgotten. My deepest condolences go out to the families of those who were lost.

February 13, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  27. Jason

Hi Anderson –

I've been thinking all day about the crash. I've never been much of a flyer – even slight turbulence scares me on a "normal" flight. My mother is going to Vale this weekend with my sister and her family and I am already worried about them on a plane.

I keep thinking about the gentleman who was in Vietnam who didn't like to fly and his one time on a plane ... it goes down. As well, the irony of Beverly Eckert's death after her husband perished in 9/11 leaves me with an eery feeling.

This incident, once again, reminds us to appreciate each day and to not let the day-to-day problems of life get in the way of caring about each other!

I wish all of the families my condolences.

Sincerely,
    Jason Fogler
    Dallas, Texas

February 13, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  28. Carrie Bradshaw, Upper East Side

@ Chris S – Hey! Thanks for the shout out. Hope you have a great
    V-Day!

@ Randi – Good Evening! Good to see you again. To answer your question, I am no more trepidacious about a turbo-prop than a jet plane. Clearly the ice was the issue here. Never understood why they fly in these conditions. If I were on a plane that had to be de-iced, I would get off – even should I have to climb out the window! I am not afraid of much, but that it just taking too large of a chance.

February 13, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  29. Brendan

Hey Anderson,

I have to take the exact same plane from Newark International on Monday to Pittsburgh. Do you have any experts in studio who can comment on the Q400 and on how "safe" it is? The difference between a jet and a turboprop (as far as safety record)...

February 13, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  30. Martin

What a sad day. My condolences go to all of the Victims and there Family's.

February 13, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  31. Sharon

A lot of Canadians fly in and out of Buffalo. There was at least one Canadian who died on that plane, Don McDonald of Fort Erie, Ontario an executive with a local pharmaceutical company.

February 13, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  32. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

The plane model that crashed is scary on a normal flight. The turbulance is insane compared to any other plane. Now that model scares me even more.

February 13, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  33. Heidi Ann Berg

Happy Valentines Anderson and every one at CNN

February 13, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  34. Mike, Syracuse NY

I asked a torboprop pilot about safety once. He said they were safer than jets because there was more reserve power. I always book only jets, or drive.

February 13, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  35. Maureen T, Canada

Anderson,
    they say that flying is the safest way to travel! As I said sometimes you just don't know what's in store for you.

February 13, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  36. Esma

@ Anderson: Thanks for your endless drive, we appreciate it.

February 13, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  37. Bill in Shelbyville Indiana

why can't there be something similar to my rear window defroster to be installed on the wings to stop the rime ice and could the inflatable boots be sensor operated to inflate at the very feeling of ice on these rubber boot systems

February 13, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  38. Bud Arrowsmith

Anderson,

I think a American Airlines plane of the same design crashed near Chicago. The plane flew into iceing conditions and basicly went straight down in to a farmers field. After the investigation, American Airlines made the decision not to fly this airplane type in areas where iceing could occur

February 13, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  39. Bridget,TX

Anderson, I know it had to be difficult and sad for you, but if it helps any...you did a fantastic job telling the story in a very sensitive, yet keep us glued to the seat way.

February 13, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  40. Greg

Hey Anderson,

I have worked around the dash 8 Q400 many times as I am a pilot myself. It sounds as if it is possiable that one of the flaps was frozen on the aircraft and when he depolyed the flaps to 15 degress that one of them failed to go down at all and cause the aircraft to pitch over and when he tryed to retract the flaps and landing gear but at that point and time it was to late. Ice of the wings wouldnt have been that big of a factor as many times you get what is called impact ice and that stayes there the whole flight until you land.

Thanks,

Greg

February 13, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  41. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Although it is common knowledge that the airplane is a means of transport are more secure, where statistics show that for every 1.32 million passengers by air, 1 (one) can die in a crash, while more than 265 will die or going or coming from airport to the fly population is frightening.

Faced with so many air disasters in the headlines of newspapers, some are not convinced that the falls are rare, that it is normal to work.

February 13, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  42. Bea

Yes, Anderson I saw you so early this morning. I thought I was dreaming. when I woke up and turned the tube on. But then I saw the words LIVE in the corner. Thanks for your dedication.

February 13, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  43. Lauren--NY

Anderson, it must have been a tough day for you. You did a brilliant job on short notice and your experience in broadcasting really came through.

February 13, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  44. biba

February 13, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  45. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Randi, Megan, everyone. A very sad night and day. My thoughts are with all of those who lost loved ones in the crash of this plane, and also with the EMS personnel, and the people living in that area.

Excellent coverage last night Anderson. There were so many different reports to bring together and if it was hard for me to watch it must have been difficult for you too and everyone working with you. Thank you for your reporting. It helped me to begin to understand this tragedy.

February 13, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  46. Tom of Philly

hello isabel, we have so many thousands of planes that fly everyday the miracle is that there are not more problems. hundreds of cities with hundreds of flights.. It seems once in a while nature gets in the way.

February 13, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  47. Cindy, Indiana

My heart breaks for the families of those in the plane crash. I agree with Casey in Chicago that Anderson is extremely dedicated, but he has been since he was a teenager.

February 13, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  48. Rita - WA State

Hi Anderson!
    Not flying on a plane again when there is ice happening – nope nope nope!

February 13, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  49. Lori from IL

Randi Kaye,

Been enjoying your webcasts and "stories" this week - great job. I'm looking forward to learning more about Beverly Eckert.

February 13, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  50. Ken in NC

It would blow my mind to be talking with a person about what flight we will take and she goes on ahead of me because I chose to wait and find when I arrive that the flight she caught that I chose not to take crashed. I would think right then of the conversation I had with that person.

You are so right Anderson about the affect decisions we make having varying affects on our lives and many time we never realize that we made a good decision because often times we never see the down side of what would have happened had we decided otherwise.

February 13, 2009 at 10:15 pm |