February 13th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/13/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Lauren--NY

Randi, thanks for working so hard–you're outstanding.

February 13, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

I want to make a shout out to all of the families of the victims of the crash: Please grieve as long as you need, I know it sounds like it can be a bad thing, but it can help you get through. Losing a family member is never easy and it breaks anyone's heart to hear that someone is going through the same thing that they have. Remember to look for guidence, we know that you will never get over this event. it will just be like a wound scabbing over, but it's still there. Love those you are with and be happy about small things, to help your grief. And above all: We are all praying for you.

February 13, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi. The progress of the stimulus bill is good news after the terrible tragedy of the Buffalo plane crash. I hope you are able to get some rest this weekend.
    Have a happy Valentine's Day.

February 13, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  4. robert

Im deeply sympathetic towards the families that loss loved ones. I have to say that im interested on what happens in the senate tonight.

February 13, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  5. Joe

Anderson:

Great coverage-from Buffalo but live in LA.

Fly home at least 7 times a year.

The issue is this- how is a very routine flight like this wind up a "crash"?

While ice is probable-hundreds of thousands go up and down in Chicago,Cleveland,New York-you get it.

This is a case of a flaw in turboprop ability to handle ice-no warning systems about ice or simple pilot inability to be cognizant of ice.

This accident was not supposed to happen

Joe

February 13, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  6. Courtney

The fastest way to being thankful for economic troubles, relationship troubles....any troubles....is to realize how quickly they can all be taken from you. I am humbled. Life.....not to be taken for granted, that's for certain.

February 13, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Polly, OH

Lauren in NY– I read "Manhunt" after Anderson recommended it, and badgered my dad to read it, too! Our Christmas gifts to each other are always super depressing looking- Manhunt, War Junkie, House to House, The Forever War by Dexter Filkins... but that's what we love.
    If we're making book recommendations tonight, I'm going to suggest Breaking News by Martin Fletcher and The Dominant Animal by Paul Ehrlich.

February 13, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Randi – I'm actually told that only one of that model plane have ever crashed in the US (the one yesterday), making two in the history of the model.

February 13, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  9. Bryan Perry

Regarding the plane crash some eyewitnesses (nine in number) as reported by a civilian reporter Stephen Wallace believe they saw the plane on fire before it crashed. This has been dismissed or discounted as not reliable information. Shouldn't this observation by so many witnesses be reevaluated?

February 13, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  10. EJ (USA)

Anderson – don't these tragic events ever shake you? (to the point where you have to take a vacation?)

February 13, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  11. miranda

my thoughts and prayers continue for those who have passed away and for those whose life have been touched by this tragedy and must indeed go on...somehow...must go on.

miranda

February 13, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Bethany-MI

Wow, truly chilling story from Susan. So tragic, I pray for all the families.

February 13, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  13. anderson cooper

Since a number of you have asked... i got a call shortly after midnight...and rushed back to the office.. i quickly gathered whatever information i could find, and once we got some technical glitches worked out, i was able to go on air a little past one am. not sure what time exactly.... I stayed on till 4am and then handed our coverage over to american morning... it was such a sad night...all day i keep thinking about the family members having to come from all over the country to face this tragedy

February 13, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  14. Dawn

Good evening,
    It's hard to believe that we were just celebrating the Miracle on the Hudson, and now mourning the tragic crash of this Colgan flight. How fleeting our emotions. My thoughts and prayer are with all the family and friends of the passengers.

February 13, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  15. Bea

Hi Randi. RE turbo props I wonder if there are statistics on those separate from other planes and small jets. I used to have to ride them all the time but to warm areas. No problem.

February 13, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  16. Esma

Hey, Randi...I think everyone who passed away in the crash is automatically amazing.

February 13, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  17. Melissa

The plane crashed a mile from my old house, half a mile from my elementary school and on the street my babysitter lived on. My heart goes out to everyone in my hometown,

February 13, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  18. Amanda Walton-Ontario Canada

My heart and prayers to the victims family, friends and neighbours of the Buffalo plane crash

February 13, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  19. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Mike, Syracuse, NY, If there aren't heating devices in those wings there should be because even if there isn't ice on the wings when they take off it can form in flight and then what options do they have except to land?

February 13, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  20. Brandi - bottom of the boot

hi randi. i cant wait to hear from beverly eckerts friends.

February 13, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  21. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Cessy, Chicago, I was thinking the same thing when I turned to CNN last night at like 2 in the morning. I was like is this live? I know AC has to be tired.

February 13, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  22. Mike, Syracuse NY

I have a former Navy buddy who was supposed to be on the Lockerbie flight, and got sick and cancelled. Amazing how small things can make a huge difference.

February 13, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  23. Mackay Scanland

Wow, how can she do that with a straight face?! I'm balling my eyes out!!!

February 13, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  24. EJ (USA)

Why did we only hear about it shortly past midnight if the crash was at 10:20pm?

February 13, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  25. Emma

Incredible... a split second decision saved her life.

February 13, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  26. missy

Hey, Randi, great to see you again.

I don't see the box for your webcam. can you get it fixed?

February 13, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  27. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Steve – Interesting. If that's true, I know I'd feel even more uncomfortable flying. I don't like putting my life in the hands of others in the first place, much less those that aren't even paying attention.

February 13, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  28. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Wow, How scary?! She came so close to being on that flight. Anderson, you definitely said it best, it changed the course of her life. I'm sure she will never take anything for granted again.

February 13, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  29. Bridget,TX

The crash is a tragedy, so sad for their family and friends. It is a reminder of why we need to work to get alone and help one another.

February 13, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  30. Barbara in Boston

Thanks for the Pro Publica link on the stimulus plan. I'm glad to see that they funded oversight & accountability offices for this bill. Unlike the first half of TARP, the American people will be able to see exactly what happens to this money.

February 13, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  31. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Hello Cooper, Hill (in spirit), Kaye, Gergen, correspondents, contributers, staff, team, and bloggers (Rikki, Megan, Chris, EJ, Randi, Esma, etc.)

I live about 45 minutes from Buffalo and I was so shocked when I got the news this morning. The plane hit about ten minutes away from where my brother used to live. It's very high strung in our area right now. My heart goes out to all those people. How tragic.

February 13, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  32. Monica M. Williams

I can't believe Mrs. Rienhart's story. Wow.!!! I was stunned by the news late last night. I can’t believe it was just less than a month ago the country celebrated/marveled as life was spared on the Hudson River and now we mourn its lost in Buffalo.

One never knows how life’s pendulum will swing. That’s why I’m firm believer in never settling, awaking with renewed energy to make the next day better than the last; seizing the moment. A good day is one in which I am able to share, love and appreciate those around me; because tomorrow is never promised.

Happy Valentine Day AC360.

February 13, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  33. vincent

Congrat's to AC360 tof ind a happy story out of the Buffalo event!

February 13, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  34. Dave - NH

I hate turbo props. I never travel on them anymore. Even on a normal flight, a little wind makes them scary as Hell.

February 13, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  35. Vicky, Ottawa

This lady's story is just incredible. How often have any of us been in an airport trying to get an earlier flight or change flights? How the choice can be so momentous and change your life.

February 13, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  36. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Flew over the crash site? That's creepy. I wonder if anyone had a feeling of coldness while flying over it.

February 13, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  37. Carrie Bradshaw, Upper East Side

Although I did not hear of the crash until this morning, I also would like to thank you Anderson, Jack and crew for coming in and doing a remarkable job overnight. You guys have to be tired. I watched all of the video friom the coverage on cnn/i,com.

What struck me most of all Anderson, was the fact that you were so careful not to air information prematurely. I was very moved by this (and yes, proud). So rare these days on cable news. Excellent job, expecially when managed under such difficult circumstances when you were surely very tired. True professionalism.

February 13, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  38. Cessy, Chicago

Good evening Anderson,

You must be really exhausted working 'til wee hours in the morning. I woke up at 2am, Chicago time and saw you covering the plane crash news. What dedication you have. I thought I was dreaming until I realized that it was live! You're a hardworker...

February 13, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  39. Maureen T, Canada

My goodness Susan Reinhardt made the right decision not to get on that flight! You just never know what cards you are dealt.

February 13, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  40. Dave - NH

Seems so strange that there was no mayday, not communication about a problem if it was ice-based. That doesn't sound like a sudden catastrophic failure kind of thing.

February 13, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  41. Heather - Spokane, WA

Someone was definetly looking out for that woman who didnt get on board. Its amazing what a last minute split decision can do.

February 13, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  42. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Anderson,

This is the second plane that crashed in the US in less than a month.

But why these things happen?
    • Excess in the air traffic?
    • Lack of maintenance?