February 13th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/13/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, I was watching when CNN International turned over coverage of the breaking news of this plane crash to you. You did a great job juggling and evaluating the incoming information and interviewing the experts and the eyewitnesses.

My heart goes out to the families of the victims. It is unbelievable that the tragedy of 9ll has reached out to take yet another victim. It is so sad to think that Beverly Eckert would never have been on that flight if her husband had not been killed in the 911 attacks.

Tragedies like this remind us of how fragile and unpredictable life can be.

February 13, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  2. Jana, Indiana

I am sure Ms Reinhardt is in shock. I am sure she is thanking her lucky stars for taking a differet flight.

February 13, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  3. M.G. from Mpls

My heart goes out to all of the families who lost loved ones in the crash of flight 3407. Thanks to CNN for giving us live coverage (without commercials) for the next several hours following the crash. Anderson, you did an excellent job reporting on this story until 4 am – you are a calming presence and you asked pertinent questions with remarkable sensitivity. I also appreciated how you were careful not to report anything until it had been independently verified. Thank you so much.

February 13, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  4. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Hearing the interview with That woman who didn't get on that plane gives me chills.

February 13, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  5. Lauren--NY

Coop, you're a doll. Thanks for answering that message–a movie would be AWESOME. I'm excited now. 🙂

February 13, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  6. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Lucky catch another flight!
    It wasn't her time!

February 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  7. Stacy

Wow. It's amazing how such a small decision can completely change your life–or even save it.

February 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  8. Bea

That hot furnace from the crash probably is releasing a lot of chemicals and pollutants into the air too.

February 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  9. Steve

A friend of mine who works for the FAA called me today and said that the air traffic contoller will likely get part of the blame for the Buffalo crash. Allegedly, he was not keeping up with weather in order to alert the pilots and also turned them to short on their final approach.

February 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  10. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Lauren, you're very welcome. All is certainly well here. Hope all is well with you in NY. If you live in NYC, we may be neighbors next year 😉

It must be difficult to cover these sorts of tragedies. I would have a hard time deriving an appropriate response to the shock and pain experienced by those who have lost loved ones. No response would seem adequate.

February 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  11. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

I can't imagine what those last words were....what kind of horror they went through. There needs to be more regulation for weather. After all that, there NEEDS to be regulation.

February 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  12. Tom of Philly

mike was just watching about the heaters, the larger airplanes have those the smaller ones have some kind of rubberized pouch that can expand, the propellers were supposed to be heated to, but i think they didnt know how bad it was, has happend to me on the road, looks wet but its all ice and comming from higher up where its colder, the extremeties probably froze faster, so tragic..

February 13, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  13. Lisa Griffiths Benalla Australia

My condolences to the families of the victims on Flight 3407.

February 13, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  14. biba

life is fragile...that is why we need to be kind to one another . Take time to enjoy it with your loved ones.

February 13, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  15. EJ (USA)

Hi Chris

February 13, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  16. Lori from IL

Good evening Anderson, 360 Crew and Fellow Bloggers -

Anderson, great coverage last night - informative, yet sensative to the situation at hand - very professional. Thanks for staying so late to bring us the story.

Fellow Bloggers - what a tragedy, it's so easy to forget how fragile life is - that's why it's so important we let our loved ones know how we feel about them every chance we get.

February 13, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  17. Connie L in slc

Hello Anderson,
    Sad day today. Thanks for staying up until 400 am to bring us the breaking news. I can always plan on cnn to stay live when there is news no matter what time it is.

February 13, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  18. EJ (USA)

Hi Anderson. When did you actually find out about the crash?

February 13, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  19. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

I give all my condolences to the families who lost their loved ones. There is not much more to offer, these hours.

February 13, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  20. jorge PE

Good evening so sad news ... Hudson river miracle did not repeat.

February 13, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  21. anderson cooper

Lauren.. glad your dad likes the book.... its a great read... i hear they may make it into a movie.

February 13, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  22. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

What would it feel like to be the only survivor out of a tragic accident such as this? What would it be like to have a plane land in the house? So....so...sad.

February 13, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  23. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Ditto Lauren-NY. I was watching the coverage of the plane crash last night at like 2:00 in the morning. Thanks CNN for the great coverage.

February 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  24. Dave - NH

Stories like this make a lot of the "news" this week seem pretty unimportant.

February 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  25. Brandi - bottom of the boot

oh that lady's pain, how horrible.

February 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  26. Debbie

Hi Anderson,

The pronounciation of Bombardier is not bombadeer, but bom bar dee ay with the accent on the 2nd syllable. It is a French name.

February 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  27. Lauren--NY

Chris Sosa–thanks for addressing me directly. That's very sweet of you. Hope all is well out in Boston.

February 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  28. Jana, Indiana

Good evening Anderson and bloggers.

What a sad day for all those family members.

Anderson, you did a great job on the piece you just did the voice over for.

February 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  29. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good Evening Anderson, Randi, and all my bloggers. Another Friday filled with such sad news. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims and their families. I can't imagine what they are going through and I hope and pray that nobody ever has to know that kind of grief.

February 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  30. anderson cooper

good evening everyone...

February 13, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  31. Michelle

My prayers go out to the families of the victims.
    God bless.

February 13, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  32. Mike, Syracuse NY

Hi Anderson and boggers. I thought planes had heaters built into the wings to prevent ice buildup.

February 13, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  33. Tom of Philly

hello all, so sad a day, but miraculous that 2 of the 3 crawled out of the rubble before the fire took off and walked away in socks

February 13, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  34. Dave - NH

wow it was only a year old?

February 13, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  35. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

It breaks my heart to hear that so much death happened all at once. I feel so wretched right now it's hard to convey thoughts on this subject, except for the fact that a 9/11 widow was killed. Terrifying...

February 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  36. Maureen T, Canada

Good Friday evening Anderson. My goodness what a horrific crash just outside of Buffalo, NY! My heart goes out to the family members of the passengers! One just never knows.

February 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  37. Ken in NC

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Randi and all the dancing crew. A sad night tonight for all involved in the Buffalo crash.

February 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  38. vincent

Hello to Anderson, crew, panel and bloggers, wish i could say Happy Friday, but the plane crash news is sobering.

February 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  39. Bea

Hello everyone. Prayers go out to families who lost love ones in crash.

February 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

simulation on google maps ... great!

February 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Lauren--NY

Hey, Anderson!

Good evening–first I want to thank you so much for the extraordinary coverage of the plane crash in the wee hours of the morning. It was really excellent–it amazes me that you get the job done so well and weed through all the speculation and still retain such compassion and you don't sound like a news anchor, you sound like a person–a trustworthy one, at that. Thanks so much.

Also–I wanted to send thanks for the recommendation of Manhunt by James Swanson during the inauguration coverage. My dad is a huge civil war buff and Lincoln lover, so I recommended the book based on your recommendation and he's really enjoying it. That was really cool of you; thank you!

February 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  42. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Hey all.. The news of this crash is so sad. My heart goes out to the families and friends of the people who died.

February 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening, Anderson, Randi, David, and bloggers (Megan, Rikki, Brandi, Bea, Carrie, EJ, Lauren, Vanessa, Mike, Sharon, and the rest).

I saw the report on the crash at around 2 A.M. Truly horrible. The family and loved ones of all those who lost their lives are in my thoughts and prayers.

February 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening everyone.

Anderson, it was so nice of you to come back last night and do the cover of the plane crash news. You did a great job there.

It is the heartbreaking event.
    Thank you for trying not to speculate the faith of the passengers at the time. I was hoping until the end that some numbers of them would survive.

My heart goes out to all who lost their lifes. May they rest in peace.

Also, my heart goes out to their families and friends. May they have the strength to goes on with their lives.

February 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Brandi - bottom of the boot

hello everyone. not so happy friday.

megan sends her hello's, she is unavailable tonite for the blog but wanted everyone to know she was thinking of them.

February 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  46. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Hi, Anderson,
    I’m glad to see you!
    But the day was very sad because of the accident airplane.

Hi, AC360 team and bloggers!
    Evening for everyone!

Despite everything Valentine's Day in sight! ♥

Today I’m a thousand per hour!

February 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Esma

Hey everyone...I am so upset about the Flight 3407 tragedy. I was up most of the night watching the footage, my heart goes out to everyone affected by this horrible accident.

February 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    I am so sorry for the people,they lost their life in this plane crash.but Beverly Eckert widow of a September 11 attack victim dead dont get out of my mind. Thank god its friday,a verry stressful week for the political wold and at least for myself,too.Anderson you look tired,too,take some rest.
    i wish you a verry good and silent weekend,from far away in Germany.

February 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Carrie Bradshaw, Upper East Side

Good Evening Anderson,

Happy Friday and an early Happy Valentine's Day!

The crash of Flight 3407 is horrifying and should cause us all to pause and be thankful for each mooment, each breath. You just never know. Tell the people that matter how you feel.

Sadly we lost a great lady and humanitarian; Dr. Alison Des Forges. Hard to imagine that her work here was done, she will be sorely missed. We can say the same for all those lost, clearly.

February 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Heather - Spokane, WA

Good evening Anderson and everyone. It was so surprising to see that plane crash and so scary to see it on tv. I feel for everyone who was involved in that crash, people who died in it and their families and friends. Bless them all.

February 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm |