February 12th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/12/09

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/02/liveblogfinal.copy.jpg] Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program. Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules. Here are some of them: 1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book") 2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell) 3) Use your real name (first name only is fine) 4) No links 5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*) We're so tech savvy here at AC360°. At least, we like to think we are these days. So, we've got more goodies for you. Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Cheryl

Check Child Protective Services in any state and you will find cases with single mothers, on welfare, with Social Security income with 10+ children, all single births, and no sign of fathers. Trust me! I am a CPS Supervisor in my state and deal with this everyday. The Octuplet mom is no different from many in the US now. This is simply a dose reality for most in the US that are detached from everyday life.

February 12, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  2. Mark - West Nyack, NY

Octo-mom is brilliant! She figured out a way to garnish tons of attention and she is going to make a lot of money doing it. I think that just as many people are fascinated by this story as they are disgusted.

February 12, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  3. Robert Cantu

Shouldnt the Republicans take their new GOP leader Michael Steele's advice and evolve to expand their base and not adhere to the same partisan outdated methods? They seem intent on blocking Obama's efforts to restore dignity to the country and competency to the office of President. They seem to be hoping for a catastrophe, it seems to be the only way they can garner popular support..

February 12, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  4. Dave - NH

Seems pretty likely Chris Brown did it, since the police say they will pursue charges against him even if Rhianna doesn't want that. The evidence was too horrific they say.

February 12, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo David G,
    Nice see you on blog.... that's right I agree with your comment blog! 🙂

February 12, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  6. Maureen, Georgia

David Gergen, don't you think that any republican that Obama chooses will be pressured by the GOP since their ideaology is so different & it doesn't seem like they are willing to bend?

February 12, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  7. Steve - southern Illinois

Personally, I hope octomom gets rich and she and her 14 rug bugs live happily ever after.

February 12, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  8. savannah

we need to know the complete details about the chris brown incident, I myself have beat my boyfriend before and you just never know... he might have been defending himself, he's tiny

February 12, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  9. Esma

I'm guessing Obama is screaming into his Air Force One pillows...that's what I'd be doing.

February 12, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  10. Emma

@Lauren-NY, I'm equally confused. If she can afford the numerous treatments, she certainly can afford to support her family without assistance from taxpayers.

February 12, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  11. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

David G., you couldn't be more right in stating that the middle has almost disappeared. It's unsettling to see what a polarizing environment American politics have become. You would think that such generally intelligent individuals would realize the value in civility, constructive discourse, and compromise.

February 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  12. Alvin

Just watching the coverage of Air Force One just now - Anderson, it is hard filling silences like that when you're reporting live?

February 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  13. Brandi - bottom of the boot

@EJ,

I agree, Angelina should have resorted to the 'no comment' fallback on the octomom topic.

then again, we all write to anderson all night every night, does that mean he thinks we are creepy??? lol

February 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  14. Kathy, Chicago

Hope you all have a great Valentine's Day week-end! Love you guys!

February 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  15. Vanessa, TX

Good evening Mr Gergen...I think your right..Lincoln's speech is def. appropriate right about now...I remember in junior high we had to memorize the speech..back then you didn't know the importance of the speech as an adult, its good to hear them given how much the times have changed 🙂

February 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  16. Carrie Bradshaw, Upper East Side

@ David Gergen – both David from Indiana and yourself make an excellent point. Thank you both for pointing that out. Abraham Lincoln and his incredible wisdom still apply today and always.

February 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  17. sue, montreal

You know what...considering that this guy has only been president for 4 weeks-with everything he's accomplished so for...he's been more of a president in 4 weeks than bush & clinton were in 16 years!

February 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  18. Emily

Well folks, we have a voice, we voted for change, some are not playing well so make note and take it to the polls! Hey call your senator and congress people too, tell them what you think. Hang tough we are still Americans!!

February 12, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  19. Scott Hazzard

Tax cuts ARE goverment spending. Large tax cuts for big business are great if you want more execs to get thier multi million dollar bonus or get that sweet million dollar office they deserve. i know they work hard at lobbying for those breaks but don't tell me they will create jobs with those dollars, because they didn't as we now see.

February 12, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  20. Dagan

How is the octo-mom any different from the other millions of Americans that are living off the government and having children through the good old fashioned way to inflate their welfare checks?
    In my part of Kentucky welfare manipulation has almost been elevated to an art-form.

February 12, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  21. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

We need to hear more stories like Henrietta Hughes and the kindness of Americans. If she didn't speak at that Town Hall meeting, she would stil be living in a van. I'm sure there are more people out there like Henrietta. Why doesn't the media find more of those people to report on instead of focusing on OctoMom, Rihanna/Chris Brown fights, and M. Phelps smoking pot?

February 12, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  22. Lauren--NY

Sorry, that was a typing error–I meant $10 grand for in vitro.

Still–six times would be $60 grand-ish, and this woman is on food stamps? I'm confused by this.

February 12, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  23. Mark - West Nyack, NY

Anderson, I was waiting for you to start doing shadow puppets while we were waiting for the President to disembark from the plane!

February 12, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  24. Jacqui Chan

it would be nice if we had more independance in the senate and congress

February 12, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  25. Karen C

David Gergen, who I dearly love, I believe President Obama tries to get this point across and is now beginning to be pounded for it. I so despair for our future, our national future aside from the economy I can barely stand it.

February 12, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  26. Naissa, South Texas

Hey everybody.

Hey Anderson and Randi.

President Obama will never make any of the GOP's happy. Ever. He can freaking save planet Earth from a meteor, and they'll say "he wasted too much money saving the world."

He just can't win!

February 12, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  27. Mark - West Nyack, NY

What we have is a "new school" President with an "old school" Congress. We need term limits in Congress, both Houses (2 4-year terms in both the Senate and the House; stagger the terms). Many of our Representatives in the House and our Senators become too comfortable and ineffective.

February 12, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  28. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Abraham Lincoln! One man during the one era that I can actually say that helped shape our modern society. Thankfully Barack talked about Lincoln since he helped so many people gain sufferage. Happy B-day Lincoln! 🙂

Fun fact! The Gettysburg address was actually not very popular until the new century......I'm a dork.

February 12, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  29. Bill H.,Ohio

I cant believe the American people will stand by and let the Republicans destroy this country under the disguise 0f "partisan politics" and political bigotry.

February 12, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  30. Crissy

We don' t know if Chris Brown did what people are guessing he did. Let's give the guy a break until we know what happened and if he did anything.

February 12, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  31. Dave - NH

Yeah, I agree. Enough on Phelps. Come on, how many people judging him never took a hit? Riiiiight.

February 12, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  32. Ckelly

I think there needs to be more of these pictures out there...if it make girls/mom's who think its cool to have multiples or many, many babies.. wake up...its takes work!! For a working mom one child is work!

Too many shows on TLC and lots of media exposure re: Angelina Jolie doesn't help disturbed minds ...so many people live in media fantasy and are waiting for their "close up" without considering the lives of the people that are effected. Angela Jolie hasn't helped matters.

I hope the best for these children all 14 under 8 years...any death threats or harassment must stop for the sake of the children and the disturbed mother.

February 12, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  33. Michelle Brown in Los Angeles - Love Obama

I think we have talked more about Michael Phelps, and Chris Brown, then we ever spoke of that Thief Bernie Madoff, Wall Street, The SEC failing at their job, Dept of Agriculture failing at their job, Congress failing at their job, and on and on. So Sad the things we choose to focus on.

February 12, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  34. Margaret in OH

Let's not forget, the stimulus package is what is recommended by President Obama's economic advisors-It is not some idea he dreamed up to try to help the poor. In fact many economists think it is not big enough- so although I am not always in favor of spending- this time there is a reason for it- and while we need to do it- why not fix the aging infrastructure and schools before they cave in on someone?

February 12, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  35. niwat, Chicago

Hi AC, AC360 crews and bloggers,
    First, HBD to Abraham Lincoln and Charles Darwin.
    GOP stance on the opposite side of President Obama is increasing ov

February 12, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  36. claire-wichita, ks

Edward–
    Smart observation about upholding a woman's right to choose.

February 12, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  37. Sharon S

Well my opinion is this and will stay this if the President wants to really help the people he should give the money to the people and stop all this wasteful spending on stupid things that will not do one thing to improve our economy!

I mean really is it that hard? I really believe I could go up there and come up with a better plan all by myself and I bet you all would love it!

So why are all these so educated men and women so ignorant and so stupid when it comes to common sense?

February 12, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  38. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Thank you, Renee. That makes sense to me. My initial reaction is this "mom" is just "not right."

February 12, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  39. Belinda

Jo Ann, what do you call 42% of a bill being tax cuts?

February 12, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  40. shannon

It may be agreed that the octuplet mom needs psychiatric care. All of this attention, even negative, gives her the attention, the celebrity, she is seeking. And it is harmful to the babies. Ultimately, we may be contributing to a psychiatric meltdown, and if she then harms her children, we are to blame.

February 12, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  41. Nattada, Houston TX

It is a good news to see Henrietta Hugrs received help.

February 12, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  42. Emma

@Mindy, sending the letters is certainly not creepy. However, changing your appearance and behaving like someone else is. It reminds me of Single White Female.

February 12, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  43. Minou, New York City

ooooh, that woman is so sweet! both of them!

February 12, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  44. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I feel terrible for Rihanna. I can't say I'm completely surprised by Brown's actions, especially given his troubled past. But I am a little surprised things got so severe so quickly. When my friend last saw them in my home state (VA), things seemed to be going great... Sad really.

February 12, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  45. David Gergen

Hello everyone - thanks for joining in again tonight. Phyliss asked above whether there are any Republicans who might come forward and work with the President - yes, but a lot fewer than there were in earlier years. LBJ could only get civil rights bills passed, for example, because Republican Senate leader Ev Dirksen rallied to his side. We don't have enough folks like that on either side of the aisle anymore - the middle has almost disappeared.

David of Indiana made an excellent point: this evening would be a good time for everyone to remember Lincoln's famous speech before the civil war - and echoing Scripture - when he warned that a House divided against itself cannot stand.

February 12, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  46. BettyAnn Nacogdoches,TX

leave Phelps alone! It was a hit off a bong! Big deal~

February 12, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  47. Jacqui Chan

if the allegations against Chris Brown I hope his career is over but it should not effect hers I hope she is the victim

February 12, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  48. Karen C

We know the country is broke. Is cutting more taxes going to regenerate it?

February 12, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  49. BettyAnn Nacogdoches,TX

I am not so sure I believe that vaccine thing. Just my opinion. Nobody wants to get sued.

February 12, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  50. Derrick

He hit a woman. No excuse. Stick a fork in him. He's done.

February 12, 2009 at 10:44 pm |