February 12th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/12/09

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/02/liveblogfinal.copy.jpg] Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program. Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules. Here are some of them: 1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book") 2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell) 3) Use your real name (first name only is fine) 4) No links 5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*) We're so tech savvy here at AC360°. At least, we like to think we are these days. So, we've got more goodies for you. Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Belinda

Death threats are too bad. She is creepy though. I don't see how she can take care of these children...or should I say we can take care of them.

February 12, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  2. Esma

Thank you Angelina Jolie!!!
    And as for the death threats: stop. It's not cool.

February 12, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Actually, I have been creeped out by Jolie as well!

February 12, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Barbara from NJ

I have a suggestion for the Republicans that are opposed to the stimulus package. I think that the Republicans that voted against the bill should not receive any money from the bill. Then give the money to the States that voted in favor of the bill. Obviously, if they have opposed it, they must think their States are not in need of any rebuilding, jobs, etc.

February 12, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  5. Carrie Bradshaw, Upper East Side

@ Randi Kaye – My goodness, we need to get you your own sign on. 🙂

Honestly, I have been trying to not say bad things about Octo-Mom, but since you asked....

I do not beleive that people should be threatening her, that is not the answer. However, I do think that the state should make sure that those children are properly cared for and removed from her care. She is quite obviously a very troubled soul. As to the doctor – he needs to lose his license for his irresponsible actions.

This is where it gets troublesome...I am weary of the coverage on her, but I can also admit that she needs to be exposed for what she is. A perfect example of a double-edged sword.

February 12, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  6. Maureen, Georgia

Wow that picture looks painful, how could she even walk. That mom needs to be careful,.I do understand people's outrage, that doctor's liscense should be taken away.

February 12, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  7. claire-wichita, ks

Here, Here...

No more Octomom. As for the death threats to her–folks needs to get a grip. As my grandma used to say–that cats out of the bag now. We can't put it back in–move on. At least the food stamps are going to feed hungry children–I am more angry about the CEO of the banks and the corporate welfare they blew on bonuses and trips...a whole lot bigger price tag.

February 12, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  8. Vanessa, TX

how did people get her phone number? I mean, I'm totally w/ the age of technology, but c'mon, I'm not gonna be on the web all day just to look for her phone # and call to threatened her....I have better things to do

February 12, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  9. Derrick

As for paying for her kids, I'm a single tax payer. I pay for other people's kids all the time.

February 12, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  10. Mike, Syracuse NY

Jo Ann, great point. Obama did little in a bipartisan manner, voting the party line 97% of the time. His only claim to bipartisanship was a bill with Lugar against nuclear poliferation. EVERYONE supports that, it's motherhood.

February 12, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  11. Michelle

I think she will lose custody of the kids.
    By asking for donations she is admitting
    she is not able to take care of the kids.

February 12, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  12. Heather

Are the Republicans waging any more of a war on Obama then democrats waged on Bush?

Isn't this really more about wanting cooperation because now you like the politics of the person who is president; you want people to work together now because now you like the policies.

But maybe there are some who are now in the position you used to be in, who don't like the polices!

February 12, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  13. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

For the women here. When I look at the mom, I can't help but think she must be sincere–why or how could you go through that agony w/o truly being sincere about wanting the kids? Is therre apoint I'm missing?

February 12, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  14. Dulcie - Denver

Yes, Anderson, I think it does seem like war. I think it stems from everything like petty jealousy to philosophical differences. Sure, they're there, but I believe they want to punish and make an example of Pres. Obama. Rush Limbaugh said it publically – they want him to fail miserably

February 12, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  15. Paul - WI

as for the woman with the 14 children... it may be her body but it's our money supporting them... if she loved the kids she should put them up for adoption. It would be the best for all involved.

16. Debbie, Appleton Maine

I've been wondering – How did she afford the fertility clinic treatments?

17. dan

If Obama's policies are bad for the country, we should root for him to fail. Why should I want him to succeed in implementing what I consider destructive policies? Just as Democrats opposed the Bush tax cuts, I oppose Obama's massive spending.

18. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Was the really unpleasant pregnancy picture entirely necessary? Very disturbing...

19. Natalie

I believe that the GOP party is definitely posing a war against the President. They started the war when all of the House Republicans voted against the stimulus plan and today Republican Judd Gregg quaked under his party's pressure to maintain his stand on the GOP side.

20. War Eagle

David, why is this a very, very big victory? He has sizable majorities in both houses for God's sake. It's a victory in the sense that he got what he wanted, but that was almost preordained. All other things being equal, if the Republicans still had 49 seats in the Senate, this bill would look a lot different and would be much, much, smaller.

21. Brandi - bottom of the boot

goodevening everyone...especially you, megan! 😛

anderson,

isnt this 'war' the same thing that happens everytime the commander in chief changes from republican to democrat and vice versa? hopefully they will get over themselves soon.

wow! that was one huge baby belly!!!!

22. Matt

Arguments from the GOP about the "short term" should fall on deaf ears. They need something to happen by 2010 to win back more seats. It's just myopic self interest.

23. Lauren--NY

Good Lord, that woman's belly just looks like it hurts in that picture. *shudder*

24. Crissy

I'm glad the rep guy dropped out because he only signed on to drop out anyways. The gop are so jealous of the Prez they can't sleep at nite for trying to come up with ways to take him down. They need to give up cause the Pres isn't giving up and neither are the people. Go Obama!!

i feel awful for the mother, she has 8 new babies and six at home and people are threating her life. How can they say what she did is wrong but threatening her is right?

We gave the crooks on Walls Street and the CEOs way more than the mom will ever get so what's the big deal.

25. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Angelina has her mind in the right place..... that picture is so disgusting that I'm glad I had already digested my dinner.......

26. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am sorry, but that photo of pregnant Suleman is nauseating!

27. Tagen Seattle WA

Why would someone who doesn't agree with the President's principles pull out? Wouldn't you want to stay in the job to try and educate those that don't agree with you? Otherwise what's the point?

28. Dino

i pray there are not copycats of that woman with the multiple births!

29. Derrick

We really need to leave that woman alone. Don't make the children pay for their mother's stupidity. They had no say in the matter.

30. Stacy

I could have done without that picture. Man.

31. Jill

Hi Randi, I think there are a lot of angry people. Period. It's bewildering to me, the extremists that we have in all parties... I'm more in the center, myself.

32. Dorothy-CA

I think its going to take more than a few Republicans to get this President down. I think he'll do fine and the Republicans are just confirming to the world what idiots they really are. Seems to be their theme.

33. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Quote of the day:
    ‘Which serving me an Angelina Jolie on my side, if behind has 6 children, crying?’ (By Fabricio)

(And the reciprocal is true, in relation to Brad Pitt.)

34. Nattada, Houston TX

To tell the true, I have no idea why Gregg pull out. If it is in fact that Republican waging the war, it is not working well for them and for the country. Many people seems to figuer out what they are trying to do. Let's hope that the 5th one will fit and work out well.

35. Lori from IL

David Gergen - Do you really believe there was a bi-partisianship spirit when President Obama took the oath of office or was it merely "lip service" given the excitement of the country at that time? I can't believe it all fell apart in 3 1/2 weeks -

36. kimberly

I really wish everyone would quit trying to make that women that recently had that litter a star, they're feeding her mental illness.And what's to stop her from doing this the third time?

37. biba

Randi Kaye, you should be in this show more often...i like your style

38. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Hey, Randi! Glad to have you with us. And this time I knew it was you. You must just be automatically signed on as Erica.

39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Randi K.
    I agree with you....... I am really mad at her have 14 children at once day too much taxpayers including stamp foods, I felt sorry for her.

February 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  40. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I agree with John King and David Gergen. The real test with the Republicans and the Democrats is when bills come out on healthcare, global warming, and when the Big 3 come back for more money. On time will tell....

February 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  41. Barbara in Boston

I liked Candy Crowley's piece on the stimulus bill. Her reporting, as always, gets to the point. What Obama has accomplished in less than a month is simply remarkable. Politics is the art of the possible and he gets things done. He has gotten done not just this bill, but also the S-Chip, the equal pay bill, and his special envoys to the Middle East. No other president in my lifetime has demonstrated such a command of the office so quickly. No wonder the Republicans are panicking.

The President's speech tonight was eloquent. He made the case for strong government beautifully, citing Lincoln - the first Republican President - as authority.

I also laughed out loud at his quip about Lincoln "possible waiting for a phone call to be named Commerce Secretary."

The man is amazing and I'm very happy that he's our President.

February 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  42. Lisa L

Good evening Anderson,

I enjoy watching your show.

I hope the medical processes are looked at.

I send best wishes for her children’s health and circumstances.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

February 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  43. Mike - New Jersey

The doctor should be prosecuted. and now were going to end up paying for the million dollar hospital bill with taxes

February 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  44. Ellen L.

Our country needs so much help right now. It is really ashame that the Democrats and Republicans cannot work together. I just hope that President Obama stays "cool." I sincerely hope that the GOP is not trying to ruin the President because if he fails, we all fail!

February 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  45. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Someone should ask Suleman how she expects to change all those diapers with that French manicure.

February 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  46. BettyAnn Nacogdoches,TX

Hi Randi! I am sick of the GOP. They tire me out. I wish they would shut up or go away.
    The Octuplets Mom is really disgusting. However; I can not imagine anyone threatening to kill her! There is far too much hate in this world.
    In an observation though, wasn't her stomach gross? WOW! You could tell she was having a litter! Sooo not normal! YIKES!

February 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  47. Stacy

I couldn't even name a Chris Brown song.

February 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  48. Dave - NH

Randi,

re: death threats to Octumom: all the more reason to let this story die. It's getting as bad as the Nancy Grace show every night being about Caylee Anthony, and the "tot mom" (cringe). Enough.

February 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  49. Tracy

She's receiving death threats because the media keeps blasting her story all over TV. SHEESH...Leave the woman alone & let her do what she will with her 14 damn kids, Theors obviously something wrong with her because no normal person would want that many damn kids.

February 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  50. Sharon S

You know guys I am just so sick of hearing about how they cannot reach an agreement and for whatever reasons or lack there of!

I have a solution for them, give the money to us the American people the ones who worked and put the money there give it to us to pay our bills and we will take care of the economy, stop giving away to people who abuse not only our money but their own power!

February 12, 2009 at 10:33 pm |