February 12th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/12/09

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/02/liveblogfinal.copy.jpg] Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program. Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules. Here are some of them: 1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book") 2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell) 3) Use your real name (first name only is fine) 4) No links 5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*) We're so tech savvy here at AC360°. At least, we like to think we are these days. So, we've got more goodies for you. Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Renee

Joe Johns has it right! The Dems are in charge and the Dems are going to fight it out with Obama and bring the country down.

FDR was not poor. He was very affluent. Mrs. R did radio addresses every Saturday and earned $1,000 week for her show. She wrote articles for women's magazines at $500 per month for articles. Presidential history is very, very interesting.

February 12, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  2. Junara, San Francisco

I think the woman is sick

February 12, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  3. Vanessa, TX

@Randi...Good Evening, Randi..good to hear from you 🙂 I must say I'm not looking forward to hear about octo-mom...but i would like to hear what other angry people have to say about her though

February 12, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  4. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi Randi,
    Great job on the webcasts tonight.

February 12, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  5. Kathy, Chicago

Didn't the House write this bill. I can't believe that they havn't read it. I also have to agree with David Gergen, that they must be able to account for the money that is spent this time, or it will be Barak O'Bush-spend, spend, spend.

February 12, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  6. sue, montreal

Your right Dan their has always been bipartinship....but at a time of crisis partinship is put aside for the greater good-as in bush wanting to invade a country & both repbulican & democrats came together to give him that power to deal with that crisis...I believe that the people have spoken, and they have chosen to follow the leadership of mr obama–I think mr obama earned the same right as mr bush was given (twice) to lead.

February 12, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  7. Bern Houston

Anderson, hello, you do a fantastic job on AC360. Keep up the great work! All of us in the USA need to get behind President Obama and help get our economy back on course. We all need to do something!

February 12, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  8. Emma

@Mindy, have you seen the pics of the octuplet mom and Angelina Jolie? It's no coincidence. When I first saw her, I immediately noticed the resemblance.....and I know I'm not the only one.

February 12, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  9. Hillary B.

I think elected officials should act in the best interest of the American people. Why can't we find congress people more concerned with the people than re-election?

February 12, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  10. Lauren--NY

I said good evening before and I don't think it went through–second attempt. 🙂

Anderson, I don't think the Republicans have ever had a desire for bipartisanship and I think they're looking bad right now, but I don't know that I want to believe Gregg's pulling out of the nomination for Commerce secretary was pure politics–it's certainly possible, but I don't want to believe it.

Evening, Randi!

February 12, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  11. claire-wichita, ks

I agree with the commentators–the Dems in the house and senate need to take a page from Obama's book and learn to negotiate with the other side. Perhaps they are all stubborn mules...

February 12, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  12. Don, WA

I like the way the president put it..."knee jerk reaction" to gov't intervention. I've heard alot of knee jerk responses to gov't intervention in my neck of the woods. A percieved threat to a basic philosophy I guess.
    By the way is'nt that a cool painting of president Lincoln in president Obama's backdrop.

February 12, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  13. Crissy

I don't see the big deal with Michael P. geez he didn't know some jerk was taking his pic and was going to plaster it across the net. The mom with the 14 kids, it's her body and her life, get over it people.

February 12, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  14. Esma

Hey Randi (cleverly disguised as Erica again)!

February 12, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  15. randi kaye

oops did it again.. soemhow Erica's little icon pops up when i write on the blog.. i think i fixed it now.. not trying to confuse ya'll...

February 12, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  16. Ckelly

Anderson Cooper: There is nothing nice or new in politics!!Rebublicans are doing their job...

Democrats did their job in congress for the last 2-3 years!!

Its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other and Obama has a lot of nice speeches....these will get tired if the people don't see the results!!

These times are really global times and too many greedy people, the world over are looking out for number one...President Obama is the spoon full of sugar to help the painful medicine go down.

February 12, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  17. joe lexington ma

How can I possibly encourage or discourage my elected officials with regard to this bill? It has changed almost hourly and the updated version will not be available to the public until after the vote has taken place. Way to fast, I feel like a salesman is telling me to buy it or it will be gone.

February 12, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  18. tim

well we know what the next 4 years are going to be like. could not get a thing out of Mr bush. don't look like repubicans

February 12, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  19. dan

Yes abolish political parties and let's be like Cuba! Political parties and "partisanship" are healthy manifestations of a vigorous democracy. People do not all agree. We need to quit demonizing those we disagree with. Republicans are just as free as Democrats to voice their ideas.

February 12, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  20. sylvia, chicago

all hear is people criticizing the stimulus package, everyone is saying that it will do very little to help the economy in the short term, so I have a question: is there something that can be done to give the economy a boost in the immediate future without jeopardizing a healthy and steady recovery process? tax cuts for business will do very little (despite of what every other republican is saying these days), our business leaders are all into cost cutting and hoarding cash, so that will not save jobs nor create new ones, all of us need to patient, work together and let go of the standard bias and prejudices we live by everyday (that includes democrats), that is if we want a strong and stable economy

February 12, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  21. ricky eppard

mr obama the senate and congress are completely out of touch with the american people. do they actually think that 13 dollars extra in my paycheck will make any difference.

February 12, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  22. Clarence Albuquerque

Obama's speeches seem Clintonesque . Well written: but not always with the best delivery.

February 12, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  23. BettyAnn Nacogdoches,TX

The GOP needs to go about thier business as usual, and let President Obama do just what he said he will do. He is doing a great job! If the Gop wants bypartisanship, why don’t they do what they said they would do and quit running scared.

@ Bern~You can say that again!

February 12, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  24. Sharon S

V, I totally agree, it is time for all of them in the House in Congress to stop acting like children and reach an agreement, after all this is NOT about them, it is about US the American people!

February 12, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I think I don't know why Republicans have really silly waging war..... I feel that it is so hard for people have problem.

February 12, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  26. Katye C

There is no GOP attack against Obama. There is an attack against irresponsbility with $800 billion dollars. The GOP sees this as big spending and the people who vote for the GOP do not want this big spending. The GOP is doing their job!!

February 12, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  27. ericacnn

hi everyone.. Randi Kaye here writing to welcome you all to the blog.. great to have you bloggin' and watchin' tonight. always a pleasure. what's your favorite story tonight? How 'bout another one of President Obama's nominees dropping out?? and now we've confirmed the octuplets' mom is getting death threats. i listened to a bunch of them and they really are amazing. people are really angry about having their taxpayer dollars go toward this woman's food stamps to take care of 14 children espeically when the state of California where she lives is broke! let me know what's on your mind tonight...

February 12, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  28. David

Should stop to talk about Octuplet mom. Enough is enough. She's very irresponsible and take the unnatural way to over burden the taxpayer as well as this crowded planet.

February 12, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  29. Stacy

Please, no more Octo-mom! I’d rather see Barney Frank, and I hate Barney Frank.

Wow. Mike and I agree. Look at 360 uniting both sides of the political spectrum. Heh.

February 12, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  30. Steve

Gregg dropping out is just another Republican failure. He asked for the job, made a commitment and then thought about it. When will the Republicans learn that you think about it first and then make a decision. We been living with their fire, ready, aim approach for far too long.

February 12, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  31. Dagan

People keep talking like the Republicans are purposely being obstructionist and blocking initiatives (and I'll admit, some probably are), but people forget that most fundamentally disagree with these plans, that's why they are republicans. They were elected by republicans who also object to these same initiatives. They have to go home and be held accountable by their constituents.

February 12, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  32. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't remember Obama or Biden being very "bipartisan" when they were in the senate. He is trying to force the Republicans to do something he couldn't do himself.

February 12, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  33. Trevor

Inheriting two wars and an economy in crisis is not bad enough. Now the Republicans declare war on him, there are just paving the way for Mr. Obama to become the greatest President ever.

February 12, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  34. Minou, New York City

Renee: Republicans back then were what Dems are now.. Parties have changed over time..

35. Sylvia

it is disgusting how these republicans are, Mr Obama did not create all these problems,they are a bunch of whiners and they are just showing there true colors, but i hope it come back and bite them,they are going against what President Obama is trying to do and they are not coming up with any solutions to bring this country back,we are not living in a third world country.. people are suffering. i wish the President well...much love Mr President!!!

36. paula

I am a republican that happens to be black. The behavior I am seeing will make me be a democrat . how stupid are we going to show the world we are. the country is in serious peril. and we fight over what? what do we get if we win. I had concerns about Obama,now I support him 100%. Next I will work to unseat all those idots i use to respect. And I am not that old. I could be mad and gone 12yrs. Not good for the recovery of the Republican party.

37. Karen C

It is one thing to oppose on principle, it is another to purposely obstruct because you lost. That is what it looks like. Why else would Gregg pull out today, without warning, right before a big speech on a celebratory day (which God knows we have plenty few of anymore. Would it hurt one news agency to find some GOOD NEWS just to help morale?). It smacks of strategic dissing to do as much damage as possible.

38. David

Here's one way to solve nonproductive partisionship in Washington: abolish political parties! Let's just be Americans and do what is right for America without being afraid if it doesn't conform to one's political ideologies!

39. Maureen, Georgia

I agree with you Sally. The repubs. also are not in touch with the middle class and poor so they keep on wanting the same things that the rich will benefit from. I don't see any republican out there going out to the areas hardest hit and finding out waht we are going through.

40. dan

Pelosi has made it clear that she does not support bipartisanship. Is Nancy Pelosi waging a war against Republicans? Is it fair to say that she waged a war against Bush? And were the people in here attacking Republicans equally upset with Pelosi?

41. David, Indiana

I agree w David Gergen about the silver lining, maybe appt somebody from business to be Commerce Secretary. Wishing this new White House well. I think Dems and Repubs can work together. They've been doing it for years. Pretending they haven't is a mistake too.

42. Val, Canada

It is very sad what is happening between the Democrats and the Republicans. President Obama is obviously trying as much as he can to reach out to the Republicans, but it seems they are not interested in working with him for the good of your country.

Your country is in dire straits right now and everyone should be interested in helping to turn the economy around. If the efforts are a success, it would look good on the Republicans as well as the Democrats. Right now politics should be set aside for the good of your country.

43. Lori from IL

Interesting discussion tonight. Hopefully, all of Congress will remember President Lincoln's "A House Divided Against Itself Cannot Stand...." Speech. It's time to put the People first -

From the Land of Lincoln – on the 200th Birthday of Lincoln.

44. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Mike, Syracuse, NY, I am sure all of Obama's supporters thought that he would "charm" everyone into doing what he demanded of them and when it didn't happen they got angry. Funny thing is there is a lot of squabbling within his own party.

45. vincent

Anderson, Hi great to see you on the blog.

Yes...i feel that there is more than normal resistance to President Obama's agenda....thye don't seem to understand that they are in the minority!

46. Susan, CA

Indeed...there is a war. Fortunately "the people" are not stupid. And the people are throughly invested this time around...

February 12, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  47. Terry McGraw

I feel that President Obama, truly wants to be bipatisan, but, the facts are that repubs. are not willing to work with him. America is already
    depressed, to have them show their arogance makes me realize that i am happy that i voted for someone wno at least has made an effort to work on both sides. Our president is interesting and smart , so i hope that we will give him a chance. I work with both republicans, democrats, black and white, and our company is suffering needing business, none of us look at politics, color or religion, we just as co-workers want our company and each other to succeed. So, please let the repubicans know that i am appaulled at their arrogance, they are the same as CEOs on wallstreet. Thanks, for being the news cast that i listen to.

February 12, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  48. Michelle

Thanks to Candy Crowley for putting things in perspective.
    She is right Obama's has the victory. So why all of the
    focus on the Repubs?

February 12, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  49. Mike - New Jersey

The dem should have worked with reb to build a plan instead of building one themselves and trying to persuade the reb to agree with it

February 12, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  50. Vanessa, TX

@Anderson..I do think they are waging war..plain and simple, rep. are sore losers

February 12, 2009 at 10:27 pm |