February 12th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/12/09

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/02/liveblogfinal.copy.jpg] Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program. Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules. Here are some of them: 1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book") 2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell) 3) Use your real name (first name only is fine) 4) No links 5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*) We're so tech savvy here at AC360°. At least, we like to think we are these days. So, we've got more goodies for you. Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Dan, I think many of our concerns have more to do with the stubbornness than their legitimate differences. I respect those with honest, well-thought out differences. But the display we're seeing from the Republicans right now seems unreasonable and a bit selfish.

February 12, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  2. Dulcie - Denver

@Tim. I totally agree. When I've said this the conservatives say that we shouldn't be giving money to people who don't pay taxes.

Who doesn't pay taxes?! How about the working poor, the unemployed, the newly laid-off? Aren't they deserving of some kind off assistance? I'd love to hear from people who feel that it's wrong to help the underpriviledged.

February 12, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Matt

Don't you get it? We must suffer in the GOP's collective mind. We must be punished for our transgression of voting them out in November. They WANT us to suffer for the next 4 years so they can blame it on Obama and the Dems in 2010 and 2012.

February 12, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  4. Sharon S

I don't know if I would say the Republicans are waging a war against per say President more like the Democrats in general is what I take from this?

But again I think both sides are very unwilling to negotiate?

February 12, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  5. Heather

Your wondering why the republicans are not working with Obama on his agenda? I do not recall your ever asking that about the Democrats and working with Bush on his!

Why is it that when the President is a Democrat suddenly everyone is supposed to work together, but when the President is a republican partisanship is fine?

February 12, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  6. claire-wichita, ks

Renee–ture enough that Lincoln was a Republican, but what most folks today don't realize is that the Republican party of Lincoln's day was very different from the Rep. party of today. In fact in idealology–for the most part it is closer to the Democratic party of today.

February 12, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  7. Esma

Has anyone considered the option of having the Octomom spayed? Don't kill her, just render her reproductively useless, and take the kids away. In this case, I don't think it's cruel...it's cruel to have 14 kids in the way she has. Oh, and due to seeing picture, my ovaries popped. Thanks guys, I love you too.

February 12, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  8. Renee

@ Mike, Syracuse, NY: You are so right on Pelosi and Reid. Maybe Obama can shake them a little. Let's start cutting Pelosi's personal budget. She has a private military jet running her home to CA every week. Shameful I would say! Are her benefits in excess of
    $500 K?

February 12, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  9. Mike, Syracuse NY

Have all of you taken a reality break? If the House Dems hadn't refused alll the Rep suggestions in writing their wish list bill, we wouldn't be here. That's the first domino. What good does it do for Obama to ask for suggestions if Pelosi ignores them and him.

February 12, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  10. Bern

The GOP needs to go about thier business as usual, and let President Obama do just what he said he will do. He is doing a great job! If the Gop wants bypartisanship, why don't they do what they said they would do and quit running scared.

February 12, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  11. Jill

Renee, I can't see much resemblence between Lincoln's republican party and today's republican party.

February 12, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  12. dan

Why is opposing a massive spending bill that is laden with pork considered outside the realm of legitimate dissent? Were the Democrats out of line for opposing Bush's tax cuts? Were they being childish and putting their interests ahead of the country?

February 12, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi David in IN.....
    I have agree with you..... Yes, I am also disappoint with Gregg had withdrawal his position Comerence Secretary tonight!

February 12, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  14. Debbie, Appleton Maine

I just put the newest issue of Sports Illustrated for Kids in our school library today. Michael Phelps was all over it. I sure hope he matures very quickly and realizes that he has a responsibility as a role model. Comes with the fame....

February 12, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  15. vanessa from silver spring, MD

There is so much pressure on President Obama. If i'm stressed about all this stuff I know he has to be going out of his mind. I just hope an pray that America gives him time because he has a lot on his plate.

February 12, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  16. Phyllis

I'd like to hear David on this...
    1. Are there Republicans we just haven't seen yet who could lead on working together, other than the three we are watching vote now?
    2. Is it just me or are folks sometimes struggling with a resentment about Pres. Obama's popularity, a sort of jealousy?

February 12, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  17. Dave - NH

Why does Obama think that $1000 is going to do so much for the average american? It's a one-time quickly-gone check, nothing more, just like it was with Bush's stimulus check. It doesn't workl. It won't save anyone's home or renew consumer spending, because most of us will be paying a bill or two with it or socking it away. The next month, everything's just as it was again.

February 12, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  18. Michelle St Augustine

how about that tax rebate woooo
    $400/yr whada ya think a whopping $1.09 a day
    what the heck is that going to stimulate. So much for republic tax cuts

February 12, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  19. Sharon S

Hey I don't care if Octomom has had plastic surgery but how exactly did she pay for it? The woman hasn't had a job in like 8 years?

How did she pay for the implants too? Anyone asked her these questiosn? Oh nevermind she will just lie again like she did the first time about not having assistance and then we find out shes on welfare and food stamps and disability, does this woman even know the truth!

February 12, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  20. Fay - California

@Stacy, I agree – reaching out to the Republicans has done The President no good – they have their own agenda and it doesn't involve bipartisan politics. I hope he appoints a Democrat.

February 12, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  21. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Anderson, I really think that they are. Revoking party support if you work on his administration? That sounds very immature to me. I really believe that we need to put aside republican and democrat and work together to make us the America that we were before this economic mess we've gotten ourselves into. We need to learn to be the United States of America again.

February 12, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  22. Belinda

Anderson, I do. Did you hear the Republican leader's response to Gregg's announcement? Good!

February 12, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  23. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

President Obama has enormous pressure by oligarchies of power, by Republican Party, by Democratic Party, by society, but after all we are, all in the same boat or not?

February 12, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  24. Carrie Bradshaw, Upper East Side

@ Chris Sosa – Well, let's just say I am a writer, so I could be the "real" Carrie. LOL. Nope, unfortunately for me, we just share a name, not the fame. 😉

@ Anderson – I totally believe that the Repub's are waging war. It is silly and selfish and this country deserves better, frankly.

February 12, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  25. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

is there a way we can get away from a house market based economy?

February 12, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  26. Mike, Syracuse NY

That person got it right. It's the House Democrats who fired the shot across the bow.

February 12, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  27. Daisy21

I keep hearing that the American people want the "parties to work together". Why didn't we hear that sentiment when George Bush was President. When it was Democrats in the minority, we were told it was their duty as the "loyal opposition" to disagree and not compromise their principles. My how that tune has changed now that they have full control of our government.

February 12, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Really? That is what Bush thought, but the taxpayers paid down their debt instead and now debt is even higher. I can't believe Obama really believes what he is saying about these tax cuts.

February 12, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  29. claire-wichita, ks

David Gergen–I love to here your commentary. We need more level headed folks like you to help negotiate a compromise between the hotheads in Washington.

February 12, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  30. Matt

@ Renee

The republican party was far FAR different in Loncoln's time than it is now. The modern GOP has abandoned almost everything Lincoln stood for in favor of expedience.

February 12, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  31. LorenaR

Bill Maher's comment on indiscriminate spawning: Our culture itself has spawned this creature called the Octuplet Mom. How? By the breathless attention we focus on BABIES..remember how every celeb magazine featured babies? Suri! Violet! The Twins! Baby Bumps spotted on some celebs! The Octuplet Mom is a symbol of the dumbling down and juvenilization of our culture. Our idolization of youth has led us to a logical conclusion: the deification of BABIES. Like Blagojevich and Sanjaya and Sarah Palin, let us hope that this woman doesn't stay in the spotlight for too long.

February 12, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  32. Junara, San Francisco

why the republicans don't get it??

February 12, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  33. dan

Republicans are not being childish, they have principled differences with Obama. It is their right and duty to express those dissenting views. Seems like a lot of folks in here aren't comfortable with the whole concept of democracy. Would a one party state satisfy you?

February 12, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  34. Belinda

I think the $13 per pay check speaks volumes about the ineffectiveness of tax cuts especially with that price tag. Job creation which takes spending is where its at.

February 12, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  35. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello Bloggers: Gregg pulling out seems so odd to me but it's hard for me to buy that he did it because of the Republicans and some type of "insurgent" strategy they are driving. If that is the case, those 3 Republicans that voted for the stimulus bill must be getting some heat then....

February 12, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  36. Melissa

It is amazing that we have people running the country who would rather bicker over situations than come up with a solution to help improve the country that many say they love. Do we just love the land and not the people?

February 12, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  37. Jennifer - Michigan

The Country is in a bad situation right now. Each side has their "own way" to deal with it. Hence, bickering....

February 12, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  38. Mike, Syracuse NY

No Anderson, I don't feel the Republicans are at war. I think they are fighting some really stupid things.

February 12, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  39. Jane

Great Jack Welch reference David!

February 12, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  40. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! The news of Sen. Gregg's withdrawal today is unfortunate.
    –Your Beat 360 photo of Pres. Obama is great.

February 12, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  41. Sally - Illinois

Before President Obama was to meet with the Republican Leaders, they decided they were going to oppose this bill. Since then, they have gone to the media with outright lies and misrepresentation of what was in this bill, citing things that were never in the bill and the media is letting them get by with it. If they are going on their principles, then the states they represent should not get anything.

February 12, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  42. Matt

Gregg? They're trying to consolidate their votes. Gregg did not vote last time becuase of his nomination. It was announced today that Kennedy would not be there for the next vote due to his illness. Thus, this move will gain them 2 votes. All they need to do now is pressure 1 of the 3...Snowe, Collins or Specter...to not vote for the bill and they can block it.

Tighten your belts.

February 12, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  43. Crissy

The Prez is trying to show decency, class and respect to a bunch of losers who wants the country to crash and burn. What i don't get is why these men are in govt jobs if they hate the country so much. I know people who don't live in the US who wants better for us than these guys.

February 12, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  44. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Anderson – At first I figured maybe I was reading into it, but after today, I think it's quite clear. The Republicans are bitter, and they're letting it get in the way of better judgment.

February 12, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  45. Lily

I have a feeling the Republicans will fight Obama tooth and nail on everything for the next four years. This is such bad reprehensible behavior...I hope all these Senate people will get the boot from the people that elected them. Hope Obama hangs tough!!

February 12, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  46. tim

Republicans just for the rich they don't want to help the little guy....

February 12, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  47. Karen C

@dan, apparently "bi-partisanship" is letting the republicans walk all over us. When Obama tries extending a hand it gets slapped, and when he speaks to the democrats, I suddenly hear pundits saying "where's the bi-partisanship?" very sarcastically. At this moment, the republicans are playing the gnat game. Not a threat in ones or twos, but causing some major trouble as a swarm.

February 12, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  48. Mike, Syracuse NY

Did anyone think Washington would all off a sudden turn into bipartisan heaven just becasue Obama wants it too. The Pelosi and Reid gang are just as guilty as Republicans.

February 12, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  49. dan

What kind of a democracy is it when the party out of power fails to oppose and critique the policies of the party in power? Republicans disagree with Democrats. Newsflash: that is not a crime, it is democratic government in action. The Democrats demonized Bush for 8 years!

February 12, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  50. Robert Cantu

Shouldnt the Republicans take their new GOP leader Michael Steele's advice and evolve to expand their base and not adhere to the same partisan outdated methods? They seem intent on blocking Obama's efforts to restore dignity to the country and competency to the office of President. They seem to be hoping for a catastrophe, it seems to be the only way they can garner popular support.

February 12, 2009 at 10:21 pm |